Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

In undergrad I had a billion books that I never bought after my first semester, because sometimes we wouldn't even get to the material at all.

In grad it was 'yo all this poo poo is on the internet except for [insert book] which you really need so get it'

My corporate finance book would come in real handy with an internship I'm doing this semester.

And my auditing textbook will be a good study buddy when it comes time to study for the CPA.

My intermediate accounting textbook that is like 1800 pages is the bane of my existence though.

Also selling 1800 page textbooks in loose leaf format is a gift and a curse. I wish I had the book version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

timma85
Feb 13, 2006
An 1800 page loose leaf book? That has to suck. My intermediate accounting book barely breaks 1000 pages and I hate lugging the stupid thing around. At least it's the actual book though so selling it shouldn't be to hard.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

timma85 posted:

An 1800 page loose leaf book? That has to suck. My intermediate accounting book barely breaks 1000 pages and I hate lugging the stupid thing around. At least it's the actual book though so selling it shouldn't be to hard.

it's a gift because i can put the chapter we are doing into a binder and not have to carry the rest.

it is a curse because pages rip and after enough time your binder will start loving up. i also needed an appendix from the back of the book that i left at home. and it's also the same loving price as the book version.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Most of my readings are online. Only have to carry my statistics book around.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Business school is about figuring out who has the electronic copy of the book and figuring out a scheme to share costs

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

I pirated every textbook I could. Worth it. Doubly so since pdf copies are easy to search via CTRL-F.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
The most bizarre thing I definitely never did was go to the bookstore for a 419$ book, buy it, use a smartphone's scan-to-googleDrive pdf function to scan every single loving page to about 14 huge pdf files, then return it 7 hours later, claiming it was for the wrong class.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The most bizarre thing I definitely never did was go to the bookstore for a 419$ book, buy it, use a smartphone's scan-to-googleDrive pdf function to scan every single loving page to about 14 huge pdf files, then return it 7 hours later, claiming it was for the wrong class.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
the most bizarre thing i definitely never did was buy a textbook at full price and return it the next day, meaning they had to put a used sticker on it.

then i bought it again at the used price.

e: apparently this is against policy and a mistake was made because i haven't been able to do it again since and i've tried a couple more times.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Sep 23, 2017

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Boon posted:

Business school is about figuring out who has the electronic copy of the book and figuring out a scheme to share costs

Business school is about getting VA Voc Rehab and getting brand new books every semester and then reselling to students taking the class after you. Buy low, sell high. :smug:

E: By sell high I literally mean sell your books for drug money.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
I don't know what Voc Rehab is though!

:(

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Do you have 10% service connected disability? Then you're eligible for Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

10% is enough to get a LIFETIME national parks pass too :eng101:

timma85
Feb 13, 2006

Boon posted:

I don't know what Voc Rehab is though!

:(

Voc Rehab Site

You sign up through e-benefits. Just need a 10% disability rating. It's worth the extra paperwork and hassle.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
gently caress.

I'm too healthy, should have worn less hearing protection.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Pretty easy to destroy your hearing and listen to the dulcet singing of tinnitus for the rest of your life.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

lightpole posted:

Pretty easy to destroy your hearing and listen to the dulcet singing of tinnitus for the rest of your life.

thanks for making me aware of it again dick :mad:

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Baby Driver, while a great movie, was hell on my tinnitus

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

tastefully arranged labia posted:

thanks for making me aware of it again dick :mad:

What's that? Let me play you the song of my people.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

If I ever go completely deaf the one positive would be the tinnitus going away.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

I got lucky

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
It's like a gentle lullaby singing me to sleep.

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

The catch with being 10% disabled and trying to get voc rehab is that you have to have a serious impairment to getting employed.
Or so they told me when I tried to get it. The overall process made it seem that I wasn't disabled enough yet have acceptable social skills to qualify.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Personal statements suck.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
Just write what you feel, then edit out all the dark stuff.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
It's not that I don't know what to write, but more that I hate writing about myself.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Is this something you have to do if you're > 30% rated? I need to get the voc rehab ball rolling.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

Is this something you have to do if you're > 30% rated? I need to get the voc rehab ball rolling.

Oh no, it was just something I'm doing for school. I'm applying to the UW Foster School of Business and had to do a personal statement as part of the application.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Lie.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Make poo poo up about yourself.

They aren't the FBI, who cares.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I tried to stop doing that when I got out of the army.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

My company is apparently budgeting to make me a real employee next year, but chances are it might happen sooner than that because the other guy I work with wants out bad. Boss is going to be pissed when I tell him I'm being deployed for 6 months next year.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Pesticide20 posted:

Oh no, it was just something I'm doing for school. I'm applying to the UW Foster School of Business and had to do a personal statement as part of the application.

Aim higher, bitch. Vet status is like guaranteed entry to top tier business programs.

PM me your email and I’ll help with your app. I have some experience with this.

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Zeris posted:

Aim higher, bitch. Vet status is like guaranteed entry to top tier business programs.

PM me your email and I’ll help with your app. I have some experience with this.

I used my vet status, don't worry. I just hate writing about myself, that's really all there is to it. You guys are overthinking this.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I’m sorry we didn’t pay the correct level of attention to your gripe about personal statements :(

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
top business schools as in ivy or top state schools?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I just wanted to complain about school related stuff :(

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
An assignment last week was to write out a personal brand description & personality for ourselves along with two ideas for creative work. It was sprung onto us that we were to read this out loud, so that was horrifying to me.

There are two navy veterans in this class. Both are as exquisitely weird as you'd believe. One is in her late 20's and mentioned she had a kid. "Of course you do" runs through my head before she can get the last syllable out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
do military pharmacies carry plan b?