Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I would consider paying for the no ads subscription service but 780p, the inevitable teething issues of people tuning in to an event show on a crappy streaming service, the red flags all over the show, the fact that I will never touch this service for any other show, and the naked cash-grab/bungling of the split season make me not buy it. I'm not interested in carrying some me-too network cash grab. If they can't make Trek competitive on their broadcast service then sell the rights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Arglebargle III posted:

I would consider paying for the no ads subscription service but 780p, the inevitable teething issues of people tuning in to an event show on a crappy streaming service, the red flags all over the show, the fact that I will never touch this service for any other show, and the naked cash-grab/bungling of the split season make me not buy it. I'm not interested in carrying some me-too network cash grab. If they can't make Trek competitive on their broadcast service then sell the rights.

I tried the "limited commercials" free trial, and the commercials were awful: louder than the main show, with anywhere from 4 to 7 commercials in a row. Regarding teething issues, though, I had no issues whatsoever with my stream. No lagging, do delays, with good picture.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

If they'd kept Bryan Fuller and (death spoiler) Michelle Yeoh, and refrained from gorning up the Klingons I'd feel a lot better about the show. Also not sure they needed so much awkward Klingon dialogue but I'm sure it has its fans.

Ill keep up with it for now since I want to support more shows like this and Orville though I hate that I'm also supporting all access.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I am unreasonably angry about holograms.

Also, Sarek is lame as gently caress. Not Sarek himself, but, like, there's a whole loving planet of Vulcans.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
It's baffling that they can't supply 1080p streams. They aren't running on 2006-era youtube hardware.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Dark One posted:

It's baffling that they can't supply 1080p streams. They aren't running on 2006-era youtube hardware.

The dilithium crystals have been retconned all to hell, cap'n. We cannae get a higher resolution without breachin' the bloody core.

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I am unreasonably angry about holograms.

I liked the holograms, but they were weird: when they glitched out, the person would rapidly change position, which makes no sense. It's not a video game, it's an image of a real person.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So how bout that Klingon ship.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Of all the Trek things to stay true to they picked exploding control panel full of rocks.

It was quite bad. Exceptionally so.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

DorianGravy posted:

I liked the holograms, but they were weird: when they glitched out, the person would rapidly change position, which makes no sense. It's not a video game, it's an image of a real person.

I meant from a continuity perspective. Those were invented in Ds9 and then rapidly abandoned. What's wrong with view screens?

Edit: :argh:

Beachcomber fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Sep 25, 2017

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Arglebargle III posted:

the inevitable teething issues of people tuning in to an event show on a crappy streaming service

Trip report on the first day, but my connection and video were fine. My internet is a little better than average tho

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Ventana posted:

Yeah the ambiguity in what moral direction is what's preventing me from really having any strong takes on the show. From what I saw in the interviews, it very much looked like it would blur the line but in the end reach the morals that we know and respect in Trek. But it's hard to really believe stuff like that because they'd say it anyways even if it wasn't true. I have a little faith but I understand that some people won't give it a chance to see if it reaches that goal.

The fact that this is gonna be a major element of the ongoing plot is an enormous turnoff for me, more than anything else. I'm tired of this not just in Trek but in general. If I wanted to immerse myself in a morally ambiguous quagmire with no certain outcomes and a general lack of decent lighting, I'd go outside.

Arglebargle III posted:

So how bout that Klingon ship.

Hey, it's a Lyran cruiser from SFC passed through an Eavesicizer. Are there any ship designs in this show they didn't shamelessly steal?

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

I thought the uniforms were cool.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ugh why didn't they set this 50-100 years after DS9?

They could have easily made the Klingon houses either the scattered Romulans or decimated Cardassians-- or gently caress keep them Klingon but introduce some mystery was to why their houses got scattered and empire shattered.

The prequelness of this just super drags it down. The tech and ships could have easily been explained to be 25th century without any visual changes-- it looks far too modern and they have explicitly shown (via Trials and Tribblulations, for example) that what was on screen in the 60s was what it looked like. Having them be parallel to the time of Pike on the Enterprise seems ridiculous. And the worst part is that we all know that the war becomes a cold war because it is never brought up as a full war in TOS.

And if this is an alternate timeline hand-wavey explanation then gently caress, why not just set it past DS9?

Prequels are just such a terrible idea and lazy writing to cash in on existing franchises as an easy way to 'reboot' things that media execs jerk off to as they think it is the simplest way to profit.

edit: Ugh the camera angles too. Seconding what someone wrote before: JJ ruined Trek it seems.

edit edit: As read elsewhere, I feel like this sums up my negative feelings about this:

some nerd posted:

One of the greatest things about Star Trek, in my opinion, is the coherency of the various stories, and the fact that they all take place in the same universe, in the same timeline, all together. They reference one another, and call back (and forth) to one another. Why break this?

jeeves fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Sep 25, 2017

DorianGravy
Sep 12, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

I meant from a continuity perspective. Those were invented in Ds9 and then rapidly abandoned. What's wrong with view screens?

Edit: :argh:

Rule of cool.

(Judging by the first two episodes, I think you're going to be a lot happier if you don't worry too much about continuity with the rest of Star Trek.)

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Mike the TV posted:

It has two tiers. One with, one without.

I had to look this up.

5.99 USD for no ads.

9.99 USD for ad-free.

gently caress. the. hell. off.

If this series' fate is riding on this streaming service, you can kiss it goodbye.

My thoughts on the show itself, it was alright, I liked the pre-advertising fake-out with killing off the captain.

I'll watch a few more episodes. They really should have made this a post-Voyager show. The tech is not syncing with the time period.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I thought the quipping on the bridge seemed forced and artificial; it reminded me more of vaudeville than anything.

I had a lot of trouble figuring out what was going on. The visuals were confusing and I couldn't follow it. That may be a personal failing, though. Everything seemed dark, though.

Another personal problem. The Closed Captions [tm] were all over the place in terms of timing, either far too early or late.

Was the ship bronze?

I thought there were too many greeblies.

What method does CBS use to track signups to their thingy? My original plan was to use my trial when the whole thing was finished but I'd kind of like to see the second half of the pilot.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

FlamingLiberal posted:

I totally get not supporting what CBS is doing, but everything I had read prior to them working on this show made it clear that they were not interested in doing Trek again otherwise.

Then LET [Trek] die!

I haven't watched it yet, planning on it today. How bad is Jason Isaacs' southern accent? "Keep yer shirt on, lootenant" levels?

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Sep 25, 2017

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Interesting, but I'd like to hear from the poster who thinks the only reason anyone likes Orville better is because it stars a white male.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008
One fun thing about All-Access that's probably worth trying... knowing I wouldn't likely watch anything further if I had to pay for it and didn't want to forget to cancel next week, I opted to cancel as soon as I was done with Episode 2 and they offered me a free month. One reminder in my phone for the 29th to cancel and now I'll give them a few more weeks to hook me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Since the Discovery thread is currently a circlejerk shitshow, I'll post my reactions here. It was fine. Not great, not bad, just serviceable Star Trek. Aesthetically, it's JJTrek: The Series. As far as dialogue and plot, it's just as clunky and unsubtle as your average TNG or Voyager episode. With the exception of TOS, every first season in this franchise has sucked so I'll give it a hefty benefit of the doubt and keep watching.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I've been watching all of Voyager for the 50th (fell behind) and I really like it in a way this didn't hit. Comparatively.

Maybe I'm just too used to the root beer Federation.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Why were CBS so relcutant to exploit Star Trek unless they could launch All Access with it? When every other big media company has been scrambling for IPRs that they can turn into big money-printing franchise undertakings? Am I missing something?

Also, you know what the new-design Klingons sort of remind me of? The Scarrans from FarScape.

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
The Klingons were unwatchable and I started dreading all their scenes. It was awful to the point of being unprofessional how they were obviously not coached in the language and could barely speak around their denture fangs anyway.
ADR could have solved all this but nope, just leave them sounding like they're reading meaningless lists of words through lovely Halloween masks.
Those poor actors.

I don't want to watch another second of those Klingons.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I mean... the pilot was... kinda silly, but not terrible. It just wasn't good enough to persuade me to either pay for CBS's stupid loving streaming service or go through the effort to filez it, because I am a grown rear end adult now and I don't bother pirating things. If it's worth it, I'll pay for it. Star Trek Discovery isn't worth it.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DorianGravy posted:

Rule of cool.

(Judging by the first two episodes, I think you're going to be a lot happier if you don't worry too much about continuity with the rest of Star Trek.)

That's the point. There's a few people in the other thread who say "Well I don't care about continuity, or silly canon, or uniforms or history, so" --CBS knows between them and all the millions upon millions of new fans ( :rolleyes: ) they will clearly get by not saddling it with backstory or canon plus the nerds who will watch out of anger, they'll have a huge hit. Far more than if they played it straight with a show that fit in the timeline.

They could have just as easily set this in the future after Voyager and the only thing they'd lose is the character name of Sarek, but some executive was probably like "well we need to set it near Kirk's show, that will sell, look at JJ Trek!"

It has some sound effects, standard Trek dialogue, hamfisted portrayals of known alien races that are nothing like the way we know them, and a few similar props they shove in our face. But they don't get the tone at all, or the history. It's basically cargo cult Star Trek.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TOS pilot: What if a man were granted godlike power for free? Would he use it wisely, or would it foster feelings of superiority that led him to megalomania? In such a situation, what would or could you do about it, if he was your friend?

TNG pilot: Humanity must justify its continued existence in the face of its history of barbarism and evil, in a mock trial arranged by a malevolent deity.

DS9 pilot: A widower struggling with his purpose must overcome his grief to represent the human race to a complex of disembodied intelligences that do not understand time.

STD pilot: An embittered orphan advocates a preemptive strike on an alien ship in violation of the border, because its crew are savages who only respect violence, and when this is rejected as bigotry, stages an abortive mutiny to put her plan into action. Many on both sides are killed in the ensuing battle, and she is sentenced to life imprisonment.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I really wish they'd given the new Klingons hair. We've seen enough Klingon designs and foreheads I'm willing to accept basically anything in a redesign, but they needed proper heavy-metal hair to look like real Klingons.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Wheat Loaf posted:

Why were CBS so relcutant to exploit Star Trek unless they could launch All Access with it? When every other big media company has been scrambling for IPRs that they can turn into big money-printing franchise undertakings? Am I missing something?

I think they had conflicting goals with this. They didn't want to commit to something that has already been lightning in a bottle twice (30 and 50 years ago, and only one of those succeeded at the time, TOS was way after the fact), and ever since has seen dwindling success.

But they also wanted a big draw for the streaming service.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Scudworth posted:

The Klingons were unwatchable and I started dreading all their scenes. It was awful to the point of being unprofessional how they were obviously not coached in the language and could barely speak around their denture fangs anyway.
ADR could have solved all this but nope, just leave them sounding like they're reading meaningless lists of words through lovely Halloween masks.
Those poor actors.

I don't want to watch another second of those Klingons.

It really shows what a job Game of Thrones and its actors did with their created languages by comparison.

I may watch again next week, but that's because we get it on an actual cable channel in Canada. I don't think I'd pay for this poo poo, it was pretty ridiculous.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So this in not going to be a TV show I watched a 60 minute ad for ugg another streaming service with limited content that costs as must as every other streaming service. I like the Ferengi subplot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mukaikubo posted:

I mean... the pilot was... kinda silly, but not terrible. It just wasn't good enough to persuade me to either pay for CBS's stupid loving streaming service or go through the effort to filez it, because I am a grown rear end adult now and I don't bother pirating things. If it's worth it, I'll pay for it. Star Trek Discovery isn't worth it.
Look how mature I am. You can tell because I'm passive-aggressively telling you that you're not. That's what gwownups do.

skasion posted:

STD pilot:

Tag your loving spoilers in this thread please

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I haven't seen either Discovery or the Orville, but I'm going to try and check them out.

From what I understand, the Orville isn't really a comedy and is literally just Seth McFarlane making new episodes of TNG. It definitely has the Star Trek aesthetic down pat.

I might be a rare person on the Internet who doesn't totally loathe Seth McFarlane, though. I haven't seen Ted or A Thousand Ways to Die in the West (which apparently really did suck which is disappointing) but I actually liked the first few seasons of Family Guy and American Dad. *gasp*

Family Guy was good before it got brought back from cancellation. At that point everyone jumped ship to American Dad and Seth McFarlane didn't want to do the show anymore. By the time they had the infamous episode where Brian dies, McFarlane was literally trying to kill the show because he just didn't want to do it anymore. I feel like Family Guy is like the Simpsons in that it was kept alive past its expiration date, it just peaked a lot earlier.

skasion posted:

STD pilot: An embittered orphan advocates a preemptive strike on an alien ship in violation of the border, because its crew are savages who only respect violence, and when this is rejected as bigotry, stages an abortive mutiny to put her plan into action. Many on both sides are killed in the ensuing battle, and she is sentenced to life imprisonment.

Yikes. That's kind of what I figured it would be given the trailer, but that sounds really un-Star Trek to me. And really pretty horrible.

Kirk was racist towards Klingons in ST6 but learned to get past that. And Sisko did some questionable stuff in DS9. Neither of these guys were perfect. Even Picard wasn't perfect. But they all tried to live by a moral code, even if they failed sometimes. Trying to start a preemptive war is the kind of thing a villain in Star Trek would do. Hell, that's actually happened. That is literally what the bad guy did in Into Darkness.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Gammatron 64 posted:

I haven't seen either Discovery or the Orville, but I'm going to try and check them out.

From what I understand, the Orville isn't really a comedy and is literally just Seth McFarlane making new episodes of TNG. It definitely has the Star Trek aesthetic down pat.

This is pretty close to accurate. The pilot is the most jokey of the three episodes so far, I would say. I'll agree with another poster in the Orville thread who said the closest contemporary analogue humor-wise is probably Agents of SHIELD. The humor can be a little cruder in Orville, but it's very clear that it wants to be TNG: The Less Serious Version, and it succeeds pretty well at that.

Mind you, it's not seasons 3-6 TNG yet.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Like others have said, Orville is actually closer to a blue collar Voyager than it is to TNG. But I mean that in the best way. It's not as boring and the characters are allowed to emote.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So, hey, about that ad-free upper tier of CBS?

quote:

Wow. So, in cancelling my CBS All Access trial, (1) they offered me a free 30 days if I stayed; (2) they offered me a 'commercial free' option for twice the price (well, $10 instead of $6), with the caveat that if I go ad free 'some shows have promotional interruption'. Or 'ads', as they're also known.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I give the show 1 season on CBS All Access before it's either cancelled or CBS gets their head out of their rear end and puts it either on a platform that people actually use (Netflix or Amazon Prime) or on actual TV.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY

DorianGravy posted:

It's an attempt to show signal lag/drop, they're communicating over light years so I don't find this odd.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Like others have said, Orville is actually closer to a blue collar Voyager than it is to TNG. But I mean that in the best way. It's not as boring and the characters are allowed to emote.

Oh yeah, you've got the smaller, less-prestigious ship with the somewhat more motley crew. The premise of Voyager was always good.

Also, it has no Neelix equivalent, so, leg up right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The Bloop posted:

Look how mature I am. You can tell because I'm passive-aggressively telling you that you're not. That's what gwownups do.

It was a dumb point on his part yeah, but there is a lot more complaining about all access than they should be. It's bad, but people saying they're being "violated"?

The_Doctor posted:

So, hey, about that ad-free upper tier of CBS?

That statement is weird, I assume they started with the half-ads trial? Because the ad-free version is already $10, not sure where the doubled price bit is coming from.