Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Getsuya posted:

SaGa Scarlet Grace is good. It'll be even better when I actually figure out the battle system. I thought it had clicked until the first time an enemy did an interrupt attack which cancelled all my actions and spells and did as much damage as multi-turn-charge magic to my whole party.

I'm also confused by the difficulty ratings on the battles. It seems to go:
Easy - One or two enemies that die in one hit
Normal - Nightmarish struggle against large number of tough enemies that cluster on the battle turn order so you can't pull off any combo attacks while fighting them. Also they have counters that kill you in one hit and BS interrupt skills
Hard - Boss fight which is easy because you're either getting five actions to its one or killing its adds to spark off combo attacks.

But anyway battle is fun when it makes sense and I love the open-ended feeling and crystal-clear upgrade system. Also the music is top notch and the character designs are unique and very nice.

And we'll probably never see an English release. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
never forget this classic, impactful line

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

the cuphead reviewer is legit a terrible gamer journalist

how so? he broke lots of stories about tech. he was one of the first people to report on the 360's red ring back in the day.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
guy's fine as a journalist, he just did a crappy review of mass effect once and he did edit it when he found out he was just really bad at rpgs

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I'm lazy to bring examples but he's just bad at reviewing games. I guess I should specifically game "reviewer" but bah.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Unacceptable, he must be condemned forever.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

I'm lazy to bring examples but he's just bad at reviewing games. I guess I should specifically game "reviewer" but bah.

yeah he even says himself that he isn't good at video games or reviewing them and doesnt really play them that much these days which is totally fair, but games journalism is such a shitshow that his bosses probably make him review games sometimes anyway instead of just letting him be a tech reporter. not really his fault.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. Fetus posted:

Also the devs should be careful about designing tutorials, because that tutorial was really bad.

Uh, do you mean the actual tutorial itself or the demo level? The demo level is a bit more difficult than I'd expect for a press demo, but the tutorial portion itself is actually fine. The reviewer was dying on the demo level and mostly having trouble with that. He spent a little more time than normal in the tutorial itself but only in the air dash section. The air dash section needed to be laid out like that to make the air dash a required use for platforming right there, so there really wasn't anything wrong with that.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Chaotic Flame posted:

And we'll probably never see an English release. :smith:

I thought it was already confirmed to be localized?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Electric Phantasm posted:

I thought it was already confirmed to be localized?

That'd be the first I'm hearing of it, and even if they were localizing it I'd hope they'd work on fixing stuff like the constant loading screens and the lack of idle animations on the battle command menu.

With better performance and a decent price point I think it'd do great on Steam.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

One other thing I want to mention about Wild Arms 3 whoever put Grab and Sprint on the same button is a sick deviant in need of a severe kicking. Nevermind the edge of the Millennium Puzzle platforms not doing the usual edge-balance warning. The ones on upper levels will, but over the abyss? gently caress you, bye! :wave:

there is an extremely long, but easy to figure out millennium puzzle that i actually jumped off the edge of when it was 99% complete. I was very mad

also yeah the abyss is...<_<; I really liked the abyss in wild arms 1. i can't believe that the wolf idol is in there. whoever designed some of the sidequests is an insane person because the abyss is not even the worst one.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Ventana posted:

Uh, do you mean the actual tutorial itself or the demo level? The demo level is a bit more difficult than I'd expect for a press demo, but the tutorial portion itself is actually fine. The reviewer was dying on the demo level and mostly having trouble with that. He spent a little more time than normal in the tutorial itself but only in the air dash section. The air dash section needed to be laid out like that to make the air dash a required use for platforming right there, so there really wasn't anything wrong with that.

The air dash section needed to be explained more clearly. The issue with that part of the tutorial is that it's trying to let the player think for themselves. Which would be fine if it wasn't also telling the player to do something else at the same time. Connecting the dots like that can be difficult for people, especially they haven't really played video games before. And the tutorial seemed to be geared towards those kinds of people, which makes that issue stand out more.

The dashing portion probably should have been split into 2 parts, ground dashing, and air dashing to avoid that issue a lot more easily.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 24, 2017

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CaptainRat posted:

For some reason the Millennium Puzzles are my favorite parts of those games :(

yeah because they have pretty good prizes

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Dr. Fetus posted:

The air dash section needed to be explained more clearly. The issue with that part of the tutorial is that it's trying to let the player think for themselves. Which would be fine if it wasn't also telling the player to do something else at the same time. Connecting the dots like that can be difficult for people, especially they haven't really played video games before. And the tutorial seemed to be geared towards those kinds of people, which makes that issue stand out more.

The dashing portion probably should have been split into 2 parts, ground dashing, and air dashing to avoid that issue a lot more easily.

How else are you going to communicate mandatory air dashing w/o text or explanation other than "Here's a high up platform you can't reach with only a normal jump"?

Like this isn't a new bad design decision. Other 2D action/platforming games have done this exact same thing with air dashing since 2003 and probably earlier. And it's worked for years, new and bad or good players alike.

The only thing I'd change is to just call it an air dash instead of only a dash in that section. It may be more inaccurate, but it more clearly signifies the usage for that section to communicate "Oh, I can do something in the air?".

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

One day I will open my copy of Valkyria Revolution and find out if it's as bad as people say, but not today.

Its a weird one. You can tell the creators really wanted to make an epic feeling action RPG but they had the most minimal budget to work with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Minimal budget and also they tried to completely rehaul the battle system in like 2 months when everybody hated it during the initial demo.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Tired Moritz posted:

Games journalism and games criticism being conflated is one of many problems with games journalism imo

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The Colonel posted:

never forget this classic, impactful line

Happy to discover this was translated from yakisoba. Also the translation got updated to chow mein in Alter Code F, presumably because you get to see the empty dishes.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Should've been yakisoba burgers imo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Tae posted:

I did not like Ayesha, but loved Escha and Shallie games. The jump in quality is really big for me across the board. Mostly the combat in Ayesha is not that fun in comparison.

Although I will say Ayesha has a top tier battle theme that I always slap on Escha and Shallie.

Pretty much this.

corn in the bible posted:

not liking keithgriff makes 0 sense

He's a smug prick with a bootstraps philosophy and an obnoxious unwinnable boss fight. I mean I don't see what's likeable?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't think I will ever understand yakisoba bread. I mean yakisoba is good, but bread is not an appropriate vessel for it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

A Sometimes Food posted:

Pretty much this.

He's a smug prick with a bootstraps philosophy and an obnoxious unwinnable boss fight. I mean I don't see what's likeable?

Because he does a great job of being a smug prick. He's got a whole bunch of great lines, and is a great example of the rear end in a top hat mentor character. It's also funny how Ayesha always ignores his attitude and actually manages to make use of his advice and surprise him every time he tests her. Of course it takes him until Shallie before he actually praises her without some backhanded compliment.

And of course, even with his attitude, he's a genuinely good guy who's trying to save the world in his own way, and will save Ayesha's sister even if she fails his test. He just so happens to also be a pompous rear end in a top hat.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Sep 25, 2017

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Keithgriff's spent years travelling and researching trying to find out how to save the world and lord knows how many ignorant local peasants have interrupted this tremendously important task with "hey jeepers sir, can yew tell me how ya done got them magic powers a yers, hu hyuck" and it upsets him because he's trying to save them all but his valuable time's being wasted on explaining poo poo to people who can't be bothered to even read the books on their own shelves so I think it's understandable that Keithgriff is kind of a dick

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

U-DO Burger posted:

"hey jeepers sir, can yew tell me how ya done got them magic powers a yers, hu hyuck"

I imagine that's how everyone sounds like in Keithgriff's mind.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Ayesha is endearing as h*ck but she's also not exactly the brightest bulb and spends a lot of time running in circles making moe noises so I can see why Keithgriff would be dismissive of her at first

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Hey, the story in Dragon Quest VII that finally shows up around hour 73 is pretty interesting.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

credburn posted:

Hey, the story in Dragon Quest VII that finally shows up around hour 73 is pretty interesting.

Which one is that?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

some guy on the bus posted:

Which one is that?

I'm guessing that's about when the main plot finally comes out of the woodwork

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
I don't even remember the main plot from when the PS1 game came out. The stories that stuck with me are the rain turning people to statues, the robot war, Linda and Pepe, the town that keeps getting destroyed for various reasons, and the good pet monster that all the townspeople turn against.

Oh and Dis Astranagant, you don't know me, I'm sure, but thanks again for recommending Nier to me years ago. Now I have two Nier games in my all time top ten (not just RPGs) because of you.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I only briefly played the PS1 game. Something about the way they moved made me nauseous. The 3DS version is like, the most lovingly well done amazing port of a terrible, terrible game. And I hear the PS1 version was so much longer and drawn out.

Yeah, DQ7 has a ton of little stories, like the statues and the robots and the love triangle, but the only real overarching plot is revealed almost immediately, which is: there is only one island in the entire world and there always has been, but because of a magic portal there suddenly appears other islands and when you return to the present people just kind of remember that there was that other island. You discover there are more islands...like twenty loving islands each with their own little problem you need to solve. Anyway, that's about it as far as a plot goes until (at least for me; I admit I did a little grinding, but probably about as much as anyone who enjoys these kinds of games) hour 70 when the second plot beat appears, which is (seriously, this is batshit, if you're playing the game don't read this next spoiler!) you beat up Satan, resurrect God, and then God turns into a huge rear end in a top hat and imprisons your home because he thinks it's too evil and, uh, I guess I'm on my way to beating up God, but honestly I don't know because we're busy fixing some elemental stuff before we can move on.

I don't know why I enjoy this game. It's so awful.

Edit to also bitch about : why is there so much beautiful attention to detail to model so many different monsters with so many different animations but only have the same dozen townsfolk with the same three animations for all seven hundred of the townsfolk you will meet? Edit: AND have to speak to? Edit: REPEATEDLY.

credburn fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Sep 25, 2017

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe it's the part where Gabo calls the wind spirit a whore. Seems a little early for that, tho.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Blue Reflection on PC is apparently going to use 720p assets per Koei Tecmo.

This was a line lost in translation. They were talking about screenshots on the Steam store.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 26, 2017

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Dehry posted:

Blue Reflection on PC is apparently going to use 720p assets per Koei Tecmo.

I love how they say "we hope you can accept this." Because pc gamers will totally be okay with it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

credburn posted:

Edit to also bitch about : why is there so much beautiful attention to detail to model so many different monsters with so many different animations but only have the same dozen townsfolk with the same three animations for all seven hundred of the townsfolk you will meet? Edit: AND have to speak to? Edit: REPEATEDLY.

The best part is how they use those duplicate townsfolk models for important story (well, the island stories) NPCs.

Oh wait, no the best part is the job system that shows up like 25 hours into the game.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

credburn posted:

I only briefly played the PS1 game. Something about the way they moved made me nauseous. The 3DS version is like, the most lovingly well done amazing port of a terrible, terrible game. And I hear the PS1 version was so much longer and drawn out.
Yes and no. It was a lot worse until like, the first past island with random encounters. Everything was slower and took longer and I think there were more puzzles in the shrine. And also there wasn't the "Shard Hints" menu option that I forget the name of. But once you got past that and if you didn't ever put the game down and forget where you were going for one more shard, it was just about equally slow.

quote:

you beat up Satan, resurrect God, and then God turns into a huge rear end in a top hat and imprisons your home because he thinks it's too evil and, uh, I guess I'm on my way to beating up God, but honestly I don't know because we're busy fixing some elemental stuff before we can move on.
Plot spoiler for a bit you're not at yet, but if you want a hint what's going on: there's a reason that God didn't recognize Sir Mervyn any of the times he was face to face with him so far, and it's not because of Mervyn...

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Ayesha is endearing as h*ck but she's also not exactly the brightest bulb and spends a lot of time running in circles making moe noises so I can see why Keithgriff would be dismissive of her at first

She's actually extremely intelligent and might give Keithgriff a run for his money. To be fair, you couldn't tell by the way she acts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

U-DO Burger posted:

Keithgriff's spent years travelling and researching trying to find out how to save the world and lord knows how many ignorant local peasants have interrupted this tremendously important task with "hey jeepers sir, can yew tell me how ya done got them magic powers a yers, hu hyuck" and it upsets him because he's trying to save them all but his valuable time's being wasted on explaining poo poo to people who can't be bothered to even read the books on their own shelves so I think it's understandable that Keithgriff is kind of a dick

he's a huge dick but that's why he's great. also he loooooooves weed

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Renoistic posted:

She's actually extremely intelligent and might give Keithgriff a run for his money. To be fair, you couldn't tell by the way she acts.

this is why I really liked Ayesha as a protagonist. She may lack confidence and can come off as a bit of airhead at times because she's socially awkward, but she's actually really studious and willing to put in the hard work to get stuff done.

corn in the bible posted:

he's a huge dick but that's why he's great. also he loooooooves weed

hell yeah. I didn't like him at the start of the game but by the end he was one of my favorite characters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

To be fair basically every Atelier protagonist is an insane supergenius who is also moe as poo poo. Not a single one of them doesn't grow from untrained novice to Literal God of Alchemy in like three years tops.