Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Apollo posted:

Was it ever explained how Lex contacted Steppenwolf? Did he know about Apokolips before learning of the 100,000 worlds from the scout ship computer or was that how he found out?

The latter. It was only implied on the theatrical cut but the Director's Cut actually shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I am legit considering not watching JL now. I'm going to hold off and see what the word of mouth is, but to me it seems like my worst fears with Whedon are coming true.

I really hope Zack has it in him to release a Directors cut or something

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I'll watch it but unless the reviews are really good I'll probably skip watching it in theaters.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The latter. It was only implied on the theatrical cut but the Director's Cut actually shows it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-MUzvASr8s
Right, I remember that bit from the UE version. I figured that was the case.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Seems more weird that you'd cut big-name actor Jesse Eisenberg out of your film than anything else, really.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

josh04 posted:

Seems more weird that you'd cut big-name actor Jesse Eisenberg out of your film than anything else, really.

Michael K Williams couldn't make Ron Howard's reshoots for Han Solo, so he was completely cut from the film. And Snyder cut Jena Malone from BvS.

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

So you imagine that the writers/directors think that he allegory is clever and original, because Jesus is obviously so old and boring so they should know better. In reality it's just some nerds that find Christianity embarrassing.

No, it's just that Singer did the whole Jesus thing with Superman Returns, so seeing the same motifs again was a let down. If they wanted to use a religious allegory, why not use one that hadn't been attempted before?

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 25, 2017

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

McCloud posted:

I am legit considering not watching JL now. I'm going to hold off and see what the word of mouth is, but to me it seems like my worst fears with Whedon are coming true.

I really hope Zack has it in him to release a Directors cut or something

Lex Luther and Iris West were almost certainly cameos with no major impact on the story. They were probably cut for time and to streamline the plot similar to how Loki was cut from Age of Ultron.

The other leaked plot points have, allegedly, been in the script since February of 2017 and were going to be in the movie no matter what Snyder or Whedon did.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

No, it's just that Singer did the whole Jesus thing with Superman Returns, so seeing the same motifs again was a let down. If they wanted to use a religious allegory, why not use one that hadn't been attempted before?

It's high time for a movie with a Superman-as-Mohammed analogy.

Serf
May 5, 2011

It seems like now the easy course to take would be Superman-as-illegal-immigrant.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about one with Superman as L Ron Hubbard. Krypton was destroyed by C-140s dropping hydrogen bombs in its volcanoes.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Superman should be Moses. Maybe that's too obvious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hey now, he was also King Arthur this time.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Hey here's an idea nerds, maybe Superman should just be Superman huh? :rolleye:

UmOk posted:

ohhhhhhh cause the ship is the basket! I see. Nevermind what I said before this is better.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Superman is both Jonah and the whale.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

UmOk posted:

That'd be Golden Age Superman, who was all kinds of gently caress the system

So I approve heartily

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think Superman was a sort of Moses amalgam from the original Jewish creators?

Yes, he was a sort of Christ figure for decades but people who roll their eyes at Donner's Superman 1 are missing out on what might be a very subtle anti-religious message. Superman rejects the edict of his God-like father and listens to the whispers of his human father.

In Man vs Steel at least, he was, an interesting analog for what it was like to be a middle eastern immigrant fighting for America after 9/11.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Steve Yun posted:

In Man vs Steel at least, he was, an interesting analog for what it was like to be a middle eastern immigrant fighting for America after 9/11.

Krypton is his own heritage, which kind of pokes holes in that.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What if they did a Batman-as-Jesus analogy instead

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

only if they make him fight that batman villain who's just a crazy millionare who thinks he's zeus

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You mean Maximilian Zeus?

Wow, they knocked that character name and concept out of the park

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You mean Maximilian Zeus?

Wow, they knocked that character name and concept out of the park

It's come up in the thread before but I still love how like half of Batman's villains are just different takes on "what if Batman but the opposite". Like Man-Bat, the bat man.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Maxie Zeus is fun in BTAS because he identifies Batman as Hades. Dark but not malevolent, incredibly rich, ruler of the underworld (in a way)...

Let alone the ending of that episode. I can see why they never used him again, that was about perfect.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

RBA Starblade posted:

It's come up in the thread before but I still love how like half of Batman's villains are just different takes on "what if Batman but the opposite". Like Man-Bat, the bat man.

With Spider-man they were basically just picking random animals to base their villains off of

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

Do you mean the end of The Dark Knight Rises where he dies for Gotham and is then resurrected, or the bit in Batman v Superman where he's betrayed by one of his disciples, leading to his being executed while flanked by a pair of criminals?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I kind of like how Professor Pyg is becoming a fairly iconic Batman villain (at least to the extent that he's being used in a good bit of stuff).

Simply because seeing kid-targeted things try to dance around how insanely hosed up his deal is, is goddamn hilarious to me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sir Kodiak posted:

Do you mean the end of The Dark Knight Rises where he dies for Gotham and is then resurrected, or the bit in Batman v Superman where he's betrayed by one of his disciples, leading to his being executed while flanked by a pair of criminals?

They could keep up the theme of Opposite Batman villains and have Batman be one and the villain be the other. It's a Christoff!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I would prefer a Superman as Rama story, maybe a Batman as Odysseus.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Barudak posted:

I would prefer a Superman as Rama story

I'd be down for The Raid but with Superman tbh

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wolverine as Odysseus and Cyclops as the Cyclops.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Star Lord as Sun Wukong

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Wolverine as Odysseus and Cyclops as the Cyclops.

And they have to hire a total nobody for Wolverine.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lobok posted:

And they have to hire a total nobody for Wolverine.

Namkaj Ghuhx

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mirror Universe casting is super in right now.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I kind of like how Professor Pyg is becoming a fairly iconic Batman villain (at least to the extent that he's being used in a good bit of stuff).

Simply because seeing kid-targeted things try to dance around how insanely hosed up his deal is, is goddamn hilarious to me.

I feel like Dr. Hurt should be in more stuff.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Steve Yun posted:

I remember that a lot of people were complaining about the portrayal of people fearing Superman. I wonder if MoS and BvS would have faired better critically if they had been released post Trump.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Barudak posted:

I would prefer a Superman as Rama story, maybe a Batman as Odysseus.

Batman as Ulysses, but in the sense that he's Leopold Bloom and Gotham is Dublin.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Who is that new-ish Batman villain who looks like John Slattery and wears a bunch of pink and is in that panel straddling a motorcycle like in Purple Rain?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LesterGroans posted:

Who is that new-ish Batman villain who looks like John Slattery and wears a bunch of pink and is in that panel straddling a motorcycle like in Purple Rain?

Flamingo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chairman Capone posted:

It's high time for a movie with a Superman-as-Mohammed analogy.

No one's going to confuse the two of them; they were in the ring together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

La Chanson du Robin

• Locked thread