Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

Try hitting them next time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Ninjalicious posted:

Just go buy yourself 16GB of RAM. Just do it. Game doesn't run well on 8GB.

Yeah this game uses more than 8gb a lot of the time. it ran when i had 8, but runs muuuch better now that i have 16

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

WhatEvil posted:

Those are some of the most satisfying kills, when you're shooting at somebody with AR iron sights, or relatively far away with a red dot and it's like *POP* down you go motherfucker!

I had one of these last night, there was a firefight going on at the top of the mountain in the NW part of the map and I zeroed in with a red dot from easily 300m away at the base of the mountain, took a single shot and got a kill. I was in squads too, so that must have been the last guy of their squad. :feelsgood:

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does it actually happen though? I see videos of other people doing it but I assume they're manipulating the video, because I've taken plenty of shots at people from distance and nothing ever really comes of it.

Yeah I get them from time to time. Not all the time, and not super-reliably but now and then. I'm not particularly good at the game overall but I've found I've got used to eyeballing the zeroing and stuff for targets 1-300m away when I'm using a red dot. Helps also if the target is not moving around too much or running directly toward/away from you so you don't have to lead.

You can legit snipe with a K98 and a red dot if you have to - of course you're not gonna be as reliable as with a scope and if somebody further away is in a sniper battle with you and has a scope they'll likely win, but if you believe in yourself and you have half decent judgement of bullet drop then you can get kills easier than you might think.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 25, 2017

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Bohemian Nights posted:

Yeah this game uses more than 8gb a lot of the time. it ran when i had 8, but runs muuuch better now that i have 16

I went from "oh the buildings only took five minutes to load after landing" to "I can land on the roof of School".

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

I'm the idiot with only 8gb who claims to not have any trouble with this game. But don't listen to this because I'm itching to upgrade anyways.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
I think I am going to start running the SKS as an AR and have my secondary as a short range SMG like the vector. The SKS with a 2x can really mess squads up in medium range engagements. It just hits so hard and shoots pretty fast when you get the rapid clicking down.

Ice Fist posted:

I'm the idiot with only 8gb who claims to not have any trouble with this game. But don't listen to this because I'm itching to upgrade anyways.

This is me also.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Does it actually happen though? I see videos of other people doing it but I assume they're manipulating the video, because I've taken plenty of shots at people from distance and nothing ever really comes of it.

Well, yeah, that's why people post their clips when it happens, because it's hard to do and rare. I take plenty of shots at people UP CLOSE and miss, but I'm not assuming people are manipulating the video because I can't hit the broad side of a barn.

WhatEvil posted:

Yeah I get them from time to time. Not all the time, and not super-reliably but now and then. I'm not particularly good at the game overall but I've found I've got used to eyeballing the zeroing and stuff for targets 1-300m away when I'm using a red dot. Helps also if the target is not moving around too much or running directly toward/away from you so you don't have to lead.

You can legit snipe with a K98 and a red dot if you have to - of course you're not gonna be as reliable as with a scope and if somebody further away is in a sniper battle with you and has a scope they'll likely win, but if you believe in yourself and you have half decent judgement of bullet drop then you can get kills easier than you might think.

I really like the red dot on most guns to be honest. I can ADS with the red dot and not lose all my peripheral vision or have to take a sec to readjust my vision when that smudge off in the distance jumps out at me from 600m away like I do with an 8x. If I can see someone with the red dot, then they're in my range, if I need an 8x to see them, then I ain't gonna hit them anyway.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Ice Fist posted:

It did actually run OK for me when I had 6gb since I have the game on a pretty recent, fast SSD - but it does run a bit better now that I have 12gb (I have a mobo/CPU from the brief period when Intel were screwing around with tri-channel RAM so I have to have 3 modules so 3, 6, 12, 18 etc. total).

The B_36 posted:

I really like the red dot on most guns to be honest. I can ADS with the red dot and not lose all my peripheral vision or have to take a sec to readjust my vision when that smudge off in the distance jumps out at me from 600m away like I do with an 8x. If I can see someone with the red dot, then they're in my range, if I need an 8x to see them, then I ain't gonna hit them anyway.

Yeah like generally I don't shoot at people if they're more than 300m away whatever scope I have, unless they're literally stood still or I catch somebody lying prone thinking they're in cover. If somebody is moving around further away than that, then generally a) I'm not going to kill them unless I get lucky, and b) they're probably not much of a threat to me unless they're an amazing shot, and all shooting at them is gonna do is reveal my position to other people who are closer and more able to kill me. Of course if you're a great shot then ignore all of this, but I'm not.

Edit: Except when i'm on top of the Georgopol mountain and I see some suckers 800m away and I have a VSS, you better believe I'm gonna trial-and-error the zeroing to get a couple of cheeky shots off. That poo poo is silent if you're more than 100(?)m away and it's fun as hell to plink shots away at stupid range and land hits.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 25, 2017

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Ice Fist posted:

Me too! I don't seem to have any problems, but maybe my frames are low (I'm too old to distinguish between 40fps and 60fps) and that's why I lose so many firefights? It must be that

Ninjalicious
Feb 22, 2010

Ice Fist posted:

The B_36 posted:

Me too! I don't seem to have any problems, but maybe my frames are low (I'm too old to distinguish between 40fps and 60fps) and that's why I lose so many firefights? It must be that

Game is pretty weird in it's optimization, I wouldn't be surprised if you had a better GFX card swapping your RAM quicker. I'm using like a GeForce 560Ti from like 5 years ago. That being said I run nicely now so...no idea.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Me and a couple of goons attempt the game. Things go horribly wrong as we have little to no loot. I end up blowing my self up and friend up. Then we somehow wipe the squad but only after we are all dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eaZewtGIjQ

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

There's a particularly goony part of me that is unreasonably gleeful that the game allows a silencer on the 1895 revolver, which is 100% something that particular revolver and very few/no others can do because the cylinder seals against the barrel instead of just leaving a gap as is customary with wheelguns.

Vetitum
Feb 29, 2008

Please consider disabling Discord's push to talk activation beep

https://support.discordapp.com/hc/en-us/articles/209813978-How-do-I-enable-disable-Push-to-talk-activation-noise

Ty kindly

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
[quote="“Enigma89”" post="“476747177”"]
I think I am going to start running the SKS as an AR and have my secondary as a short range SMG like the vector. The SKS with a 2x can really mess squads up in medium range engagements. It just hits so hard and shoots pretty fast when you get the rapid clicking down.

This is me also.
[/quote]

Running a SMG is also good because suppressors for SMGs are verrry common and building SOME kind of long rifle is very easy

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
I like mouse buttons four and five better than using control+scroll for zeroing. It's only happened a few times but 'overshooting' my scrolling when quickly zeroing in the middle of a firefight has nearly messed me up on some occasions.

Also, I recommend binding the use of bandages to T, first aid kits to Y, energy drinks to G and painkillers to Y.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 25, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Dearsomeone's Early Access Highlights Week 26-27

e: the clip at 03:03 is loving insane holy poo poo. 10:12 too, drat.

Lex Neville fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 25, 2017

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I assume they're manipulating the video,

what the hell

It's nothing special but here is a brief 30 second movie for new folks demonstrating why it's good to play super aggressive in the opening minutes of the game. Track people landing in your area, grab a gun & just enough ammo, and rush them. If I had spent 5 more seconds checking the next room over the guy would have had an AK.

https://streamable.com/54fml

Fart Car '97 fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 25, 2017

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grenades are massively underrated by most players as of right now. Got a fog chicken dinner by wiping a squad near the end of the game with a single nade into the house they were camping out in.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Here's a dilemma I often have--

I try to drop into hot zones where there will be fighting, but I frequently find that I will maybe only get one kill before everyone else has murdered each other and these early combat areas become very quiet. Not empty, just quiet.

At this point the common wisdom I've heard so much is "once you get your basic gear, don't hide in a bathtub, go hunt other players!", but that usually manifests as me getting murdered by a camper in a second floor window as I'm running down an alleyway.

How do you guys strike that balance between playing aggressively and waiting for opportunities when you are in an unsafe situation?

Shayl
Apr 11, 2007

Scoss posted:

I try to drop into hot zones where there will be fighting, but I frequently find that I will maybe only get one kill before everyone else has murdered each other and these early combat areas become very quiet. Not empty, just quiet.

At this point the common wisdom I've heard so much is "once you get your basic gear, don't hide in a bathtub, go hunt other players!", but that usually manifests as me getting murdered by a camper in a second floor window as I'm running down an alleyway.

How do you guys strike that balance between playing aggressively and waiting for opportunities when you are in an unsafe situation?

Honestly I can usually take out campers if I just expect to always find one. For whatever reason they know I'm coming and still shoot slower than me and are usually crouched so its free headshots.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
That primarily comes down to positioning and the level of noise you make. The first thing is to make sure you're in as few positions as possible where, if an opponent gets the jump on you, your death is guaranteed. This means that you loop around the outskirts, only expose yourself to one position at a time and make sure you have a quick way to find cover from fire coming from that direction. When it comes to sound, don't run when you're near buildings; you can generally crouchwalk quietly (as in, using control while crouched) to move up to a building and hear anyone inside (because moving on uppper floors makes more sound and who even crouchwalks silently in a building when you don't know that anyone's near?).

Moving toward gunfire, especially early on, to fight other players is good, but on many occasions it's not a bad idea to do so at a measured pace. The point of hunting other players is that you get to determine the conditions on which the fight takes place; running around blindly and loudly accomplishes the opposite.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

One of my 8GB sticks died and I haven't had the time to RMA it, PUBG still runs pretty well still with only 8GB total RAM.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Scoss posted:

I think the point of that advice isn't that it's the most succesful strategy in terms of staying alive til the end, it's supposed to be used to give you the practice in firefights to get better. Striking the balance just comes with time and experience.

It's also given as "advice" by players who are really good at these types of games, and want all the noobs like me to play super aggressive so they can (even more) easily kill me.

Edit: btw, why does everyone assume that if you got killed out of nowhere from somebody in a house that that guy must have been "camping"? He could just as easily (probably even more likely tbh) have been on the 2nd floor of a house looting or whatever and happened to look out a window and saw you. Even if you open a door in a house and someone crouched in the corner behind the door blows your head off, it doesn't mean he was camping. If you hear someone come into the house you're already in, it makes alot of sense to set a trap for them. That's not really "camping" either imo. I think camping happens alot less in this game than people think, it's just an excuse people use when they get killed sometimes.

The B_36 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 25, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Camping doesn't exist - there's the guy who's alive after the encounter, and the guy who isn't. Do what you need to do to be the alive guy.

The circle kept landing right on top of me in a house in Polyana last night, so I sat on the second floor massacring everyone who tried to come up the grand stair case. They can whine all the way to their next match, my load out is done, I'm doing just fine right here.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

The B_36 posted:

Edit: btw, why does everyone assume that if you got killed out of nowhere from somebody in a house that that guy must have been "camping"? He could just as easily (probably even more likely tbh) have been on the 2nd floor of a house looting or whatever and happened to look out a window and saw you. Even if you open a door in a house and someone crouched in the corner behind the door blows your head off, it doesn't mean he was camping. If you hear someone come into the house you're already in, it makes alot of sense to set a trap for them. That's not really "camping" either imo. I think camping happens alot less in this game than people think, it's just an excuse people use when they get killed sometimes.

Because it shifts blame. It really doesn't matter whether someone was or was not 'actually camping' either; it's a meaningless way to keep from feeling bad about a gently caress-up rather than learning from it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Scoss posted:

Pay attention to how much noise you're making. If the game is still early and it sounds like WWII you can run around freely and only people who are very close to you will be able to hear. Once things settle down try crouch-running (not sprinting) or even crouch-walking towards where you last heard action. If the survivor is able to hear you stomping towards them they'll just hunker down and wait for you. When hunting you need to actually hunt- ie: stay quiet and stalk.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I got to the somewhat center of the circle and was pretty well loaded out, so I set up in a lovely little tower that had an outside set of stairs to the second floor. I was about to leave and head for the next circle (obviously the next circle was far away), but I heard someone outside my tower. Sure enough I waited, they rolled in, and I blasted them. No reason to run around aimlessly if you are well-looted and in the center of the white circle. Wait it out where you are, let them come to you, move when you need to.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012
I guess it's just a (very) vocal minority that insist that everyone follows their "pistols at high noon" philosophy :shrug:

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Well, I'm not actually mad about campers and I have no interest in "blaming" them, nor do I care if they were waiting for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. Also I'm here literally asking for advice on how do to better, so I'm obviously holding myself responsible for my own blunders.

I will try being a little more cautious with my movements in areas that I suspect still have baddies in them. It's easy to get the wrong idea about being "aggressive" and thinking that means sprinting around like a madman. Watching Shroud get away with that kind of thing probably doesn't help, we certainly can't all play like him.

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 25, 2017

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Scoss posted:

Well, I'm not actually mad about campers and I have no interest in "blaming" them, nor do I care if they were camping for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. Also I'm here literally asking for advice on how do to better, so I'm obviously holding myself responsible for my own blunders.

I will try being a little more cautious with my movements in areas that I suspect still have baddies in them. It's easy to get the wrong idea about being "aggressive" and thinking that means sprinting around like a madman. Watching Shroud get away with that kind of thing probably doesn't help, we certainly can't all play like him.

For what it's worth, I failed to link The B_36's question about campers to your asking for advice. My response to your question was genuine and my words about campers definitely weren't meant to off-handedly throw shade your way.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Ice Fist posted:

I have 8 gb ram and I did this so it can't be all bad really:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Scoss posted:

Whether you're playing MGS or Quake really depends on how confident you are in your skills in relation to the situation you're in and the skill level of the adjacent players. That's assuming you're aiming for the maximum estimated value of any situation, some players just like to drop on the prison or school and play murderball.

I can confirm this piece of advice from the OP holds true:

quote:

What is the optimal strategy to win?
The best strategy I've come up with is to release your parachute really high and go to a far away location that has decent loot, but minimizes the chance of competing with someone on the ground. Then you find a vehicle and drive it to the next zone and hide it so it's not stolen. Camp with a shotgun. Repeat when the next zone is out of your area. It's really boring though.

Basically you try to minimize unnecessary encounters as much as possible. Sometimes that means "avoid every encounter until the last one", sometimes that means "you HAVE to kill 15 people if you want to win". But you need to see the encounters as a chance at winning with your current hand. Unless you're massively better than your opponents like some of the streamers are you're better off playing safe. If you have a 75% chance of winning an encounter and you can get to the last encounter alive that's a 75% chance of winning the game. If you drop at the school and need to kill 3 people, then you're more likely per match to die really fast than you're likely to kill all 3 of them. So it really depends on what you're going for, and whether you care or not to spend more time in the lobby waiting, or more time in the bathroom hiding.

As for actual advice on how to deal with campers and what not:

If you're being killed as soon as you stop looting, that means people are seeing you. Whether you're the hunted or the hunter, you need to minimize exposure as much as possible, and avoid giving LoS to potential enemies. That means knowing your escape route ahead of time and paying attention at where the enemies are. If you're not competing with anyone on the ground that means you're (usually) free to loot without falling into that trap in the first place. If you are, then you NEED to know your escape route and have a general awareness of where the potential enemies are hiding/camping. So think of the walls and all the cover that you have.

Also, pay attention at all the people who parachuted around the area that you dropped, and keep them on a map in your head. When the first white circle appears, project their route towards the center of the circle and whether you're gonna bump into them or not. If you're clear and no one is behind you then you can use the enemy shooting as a guideline to open a path towards the center. If you kill the enemies and you're more or less aware of the area around you, then you know that the hostiles are all ahead of you and that minimizes your risks. If you're doing that, try carving your way towards the center through areas where, again, you're not easily exposed. Locate the hostiles, wait for them to weaken each other out and kill them.

If you're not gonna do that and instead you're gonna play passively, what you're doing is clearing the path behind you then camping some place on the edge of the circle.

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Scoss posted:

Well, I'm not actually mad about campers and I have no interest in "blaming" them, nor do I care if they were waiting for 10 seconds or 10 minutes. Also I'm here literally asking for advice on how do to better, so I'm obviously holding myself responsible for my own blunders.

Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I was criticizing you, it's just something I've noticed people say alot in shooter games. I just always assume if I die in a video game that I did something wrong, or the other guy was just better than me that time (and most other times as well).

And yeah, watching a guy like Shroud and trying to do what he does is like watching Lebron James play basketball and trying to do what he does in your next pickup game. You're not good enough to do that stuff, and you're just likely to make yourself look stupid trying it. I treat that stuff as entertainment that has little to do with making me better.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

The Mash posted:

the game obviously runs but it even more obviously runs a lot better with more than 8gb

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Someone asked me a while back to post a video of me dying so you can see why I suck. Well, this one's a little obvious now I've watched it back, but it might be worth posting anyway, even if it's for a laugh. I just plain don't see the guy second time! For context, I wounded a guy who ran toward this house over the brow of a hill seconds before this video starts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeunGPMXvrw

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Maybe I'm too noob, but I think if you have dozens of explosions happening in your immediate vicinity you do not need to worry about crouching and walking to hide your footsteps.

Edit: also I dunno why you looked left when you saw him running from left to right across that window.

Pussy Quipped fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 25, 2017

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I mean on gear alone you're just completely hosed there. When the loot gods only give you a shotgun with 47 remaining, do your best and don't lose sleep over it.

In that spot, with the red circle, I just hole up in either of the two bedrooms (neither of which you cleared), and reevaluate once the zone is over or once the next circle lands.

I know grenades are pretty overpowered right now, but I feel like 2% of grenades are successful and the other 98% just announce your arrival so people can prepare for you.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

The Mash posted:

drat dude! That is nuts. Was this on the same region you play on primarily?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

As far as camping goes -- it seems like if you are experienced its pretty easy to deal with a camper by either using grenades to flush them out or by coming at them at an angle they aren't anticipating (or by doing both). When you camp you start with an advantage but you let your enemy dictate how the engagement goes.

• Locked thread