Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Been running with Mpow Swifts for years, Mpow best pow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.
I've bought a handful of mpow and Anker BT earbuds and can't seem to find a pair that will stay in my ears while doing anything more active than a gingerly walk around the block.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

CLAM DOWN posted:

Those look really awful and uncomfortable, I'm going with the Mpow ones for now.

Suit yourself, but they actually look fine in person and they are super light and flexy to the point that I forget whether or not they're on my neck.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Yeah the tones are great. I used the 700s for years and had the 900s for a year or more now? Super comfortable, great fitting earbuds, good sound and battery that lasts forever effectively.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
:drat: Air Pods are caustic 'round here.

I don't know, they fit me fine and I run every day with them. They have never fallen out. Yes they look like earrings, no I don't give a poo poo.

Also, I like that they aren't sealed as I don't want to get blasted by a city bus on my runs.

Good luck clam.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

So, weird question. I downloaded some audio files onto my phone which are not music, but I just noticed they got added to my Google Play library, as "songs." They are not songs (they're someone talking) and should not be put into the library where they might show up in the middle of a Shuffle All and spoil my groove. Can I remove them from the music library, without deleting them from my phone? The only thing I could find under the dots menu was "delete" and I don't want to do that.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think putting a blank file named .nomedia in the folder will prevent Google Play Music from scanning them. That will prevent all other programs from seeing them, too, however.

Jacobus Spades
Oct 29, 2004

bull3964 posted:

MXP used the SD808 and it's not a common problem with them.

A cursory Google search suggests otherwise.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Has anyone gone from a Snapdragon 820/1 device to an 835 device? I know the SoC is only part of the user experience and it varies wildly between manufacturers but I'm wondering if one notices much difference going from one to the other, say, from a Galaxy S7 to a an S8 in terms of responsiveness and fluidity etc.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Has anyone gone from a Snapdragon 820/1 device to an 835 device? I know the SoC is only part of the user experience and it varies wildly between manufacturers but I'm wondering if one notices much difference going from one to the other, say, from a Galaxy S7 to a an S8 in terms of responsiveness and fluidity etc.

Much less to do with the SoC raw performance and much more to do with the software optimization of the phone in question. A S7 SD820->S8 SD835 is gonna be a more noticeable improvement than the S7 8890->S8 8895 since the S7 SD820 is notorious for being a unoptimized stuttering mess.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Zero VGS posted:

What, no one likes LG Tones? They're around $35 and tuck under your shirt collar... I've had them around my neck most days for the last 6 years or so.

https://smile.amazon.com/LG-HBS-770-Wireless-Stereo-Headset/dp/B01EKDXM3O?th=1

I'm gonna keep using them until affordable Bluetooth 5.0 earbuds hit, and if LG upgrades to 5.0 then I'll just get whatever new tones they make.

I love the LG Tones myself, but I almost never wear any shirt that /doesn't/ have a collar, and it's usually underneath it.

That said, I'm currently using the Tone 810 with its retractable earpieces. Having to replace the cord clips on the non-retractable models when they popped off accidentally was annoying.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

SB35 posted:

I've bought a handful of mpow and Anker BT earbuds and can't seem to find a pair that will stay in my ears while doing anything more active than a gingerly walk around the block.

I found only jaybirds stay in my ears for running, etc. Sadly their really expensive and my cat destroyed two pair before I gave up and bought a pair of TaoTronics. They're cheap and work well even if they're not the most comfortable.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Jacobus Spades posted:

The majority of bootloop reports are based on their 808 devices which makes it hard to determine considering no one else really used the processor. Basically this is what is known:

• The devices primarily reported as being part of the issue are the G4, V10, 5X, and G5.
  • LG released a statement staying that the cause was "loose connections" between components
  • Some users were able to restore their devices by installing firmware that disabled the two "big" cores of the CPU, pointing to a processor defect.
  • There have been reports of boot looping for other devices using the 808 including the Blackberry Priv and Microsoft Lumia 950

Tl;dr there seems to be two issues, one with LG and one with Qualcomm. My theory is that the 808 line is actually 810s with one or more defective big cores locked (this is a pretty common practice for GPU manufacturers) and the remaining cores were susceptible to thermal damage but it's hard to say.

One running theory is that the chip damage that causes the bootloops happens at very high temperatures and that LG simply has very poor thermal management compared to other brands and its throttles aren't enough to save it.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 25, 2017

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
I just bought a pair of these recently and I was surprised by how decent they were for the price.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I've been pleased with these. My Bose QC20s are dying and I needed the ANC for flying and work; I've been pleasantly surprised with them.

Replacement Silicone Earbuds Tips 3 Pairs, Size M, for Phaiser BHS-730 and other In Ear Headphones Earphones M https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XYTH5CM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_DpjYzb110R803

Wireless Headphone Active Noise Cancelling Bluetooth Headphones, Tsumbay Wireless Sports Sweatproof Earphone with Mic APT-X HiFi Stereo Sound 8 Hours Battery Life for Cycling Jogging Gym https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073WWTBZX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_NrjYzbJS3C796

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
On headphone chat, I bought the new in-ear but wired BT ones from Anker on Amazon. I've been happy with the sound and battery life, mostly at the gym on the treadmill and around there.

They come with a shitload of fitting pieces, so if it doesn't fit for you then I blame your weird ears.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Anker is actually doing some Bluetooth 5.0 headphones that look sweet, but they're out of my price range, someone else be the guinea pig: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792059063/liberty-the-first-zero-compromise-total-wireless-e

Yeah it's a Kickstarter, but at least it's Anker so they'll actually produce them.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Zero VGS posted:

Anker is actually doing some Bluetooth 5.0 headphones that look sweet, but they're out of my price range, someone else be the guinea pig: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1792059063/liberty-the-first-zero-compromise-total-wireless-e

Yeah it's a Kickstarter, but at least it's Anker so they'll actually produce them.
I searched that page for the word "Anker" and all I got is that this startup is incubating with Anker. They're not made by Anker.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I went through a poo poo load of headsets. I just have an set of Amazon basics BT earbuds now. If I'm running I don't care about sound quality, I just need music and cheap.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

qy8 are decent cheap bt earbuds

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

I went through a poo poo load of headsets. I just have an set of Amazon basics BT earbuds now. If I'm running I don't care about sound quality, I just need music and cheap.

Same. I have some $15 ones that last like 6-8 hours and have an over ear loop thing so they stay on. I know some people want more, but I think super budget ones are Good Enough now to be generally functional, last awhile on battery, etc.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Blue Train posted:

Yeah, but they don't stay in that well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Blue Train posted:

hooah posted:

Yeah, but they don't stay in that well.

And they sound terrible. That said, I have some Jaybird X2s and they sound awful as well.

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

My wife and I are looking for mid-tier phones and we are disappointed with the upcoming Moto X4 for the lack of Moto Maker. With the impending Pixel 2 release, would it be worth purchasing a Pixel once the price drops or should we get the Moto G5+ instead?

DTaeKim fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Sep 25, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DTaeKim posted:

My wife and I are looking for mid-tier phones and we are disappointed with the upcoming Moto X4. With the impending Pixel 2 release, would it be worth purchasing a Pixel once the price drops or should we get the Moto G5+ instead?

I would get the Pixel if it drops into your price range. It's a better phone by far. The only downside is that it might be supported with updates for a shorter amount of time than the Moto because its older...but I think there's a pretty good chance that won't be the case.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

DTaeKim posted:

My wife and I are looking for mid-tier phones and we are disappointed with the upcoming Moto X4. With the impending Pixel 2 release, would it be worth purchasing a Pixel once the price drops or should we get the Moto G5+ instead?

If you can get a good deal on a Pixel, it's certainly worth considering. G5+ is a great phone (and not even just a great $2-300 phone) though.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Thermopyle posted:

The only downside is that it might be supported with updates for a shorter amount of time than the Moto because its older...but I think there's a pretty good chance that won't be the case.

Hahaha yeah, good point. We're supposed to be getting Oreo in November and then I'll be pleasantly surprised if this thing ever sees anything but a security update ever again. (And moderately surprised if I even see a security update.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

I would get the Pixel if it drops into your price range. It's a better phone by far. The only downside is that it might be supported with updates for a shorter amount of time than the Moto because its older...but I think there's a pretty good chance that won't be the case.

Moto in general promises two major os updates and delivers one, so the support window will probably be similar. They got a lot of hate for doing this with the g4+ and came out with a statement saying it will eventually get upgraded to o but I suspect they are just waiting for the heat to die down

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

docbeard posted:

Hahaha yeah, good point. We're supposed to be getting Oreo in November and then I'll be pleasantly surprised if this thing ever sees anything but a security update ever again. (And moderately surprised if I even see a security update.)

If it came with nougat it will more than likely get oreo

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Blue Train posted:

Moto in general promises two major os updates and delivers one, so the support window will probably be similar. They got a lot of hate for doing this with the g4+ and came out with a statement saying it will eventually get upgraded to o but I suspect they are just waiting for the heat to die down

I know what they promise, they just aren't great at keeping their promises.

Since we're talking about BT headphones...these Anker ones are at their lowest price yet ($33). They look like they're probably pretty great for the price. AptX, 12.5 hour battery life, water resistant, those little wing things to help hold them in your ear.

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Sep 25, 2017

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Zero VGS posted:

Those do look nice but I don't need anything else off KS right now (Gotta keep telling myself that, my QY8's are good enough). That place is bad outside of the possibility of not getting what you backed.

I actually just got my Rigiet Gimbal which has to be the fastest yet to go from KS to Production and Shipment I have seen. The thing is built like a tank and stabilizes really well. Got both the phone and GoPro mount early bird deal and for the price it was worth it since most other gimbals are smaller and only support phone or GoPro alone for more.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I searched that page for the word "Anker" and all I got is that this startup is incubating with Anker. They're not made by Anker.

Yes, they are:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...h/#992cfb73e88b

quote:

Officially introduced to the public two weeks ago via a Kickstarter campaign, Zolo is Anker's new sister company, and its focus is on high quality, premium audio products that integrate the Internet of Things, or, in Yang's words, "audio products without compromise."

They are trying to distance the "Zolo" brand to make it into more of a luxury badge, but it's them. Steven Yang is CEO of both companies. It's like Honda / Acura :iiaca:

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FunOne posted:

On headphone chat, I bought the new in-ear but wired BT ones from Anker on Amazon. I've been happy with the sound and battery life, mostly at the gym on the treadmill and around there.

They come with a shitload of fitting pieces, so if it doesn't fit for you then I blame your weird ears.

I got these on some Amazon Anker sale a while back. I'm happy with them, especially for the price. I haven't tried any other BT headphones, so I can't really compare them, but they work fine for my gym and office use.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Thermopyle posted:

I know what they promise, they just aren't great at keeping their promises.

Since we're talking about BT headphones...these Anker ones are at their lowest price yet ($33). They look like they're probably pretty great for the price. AptX, 12.5 hour battery life, water resistant, those little wing things to help hold them in your ear.

I have these, they're good, although I don't have much to compare them to.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Yes, they are:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bensin...h/#992cfb73e88b

They are trying to distance the "Zolo" brand to make it into more of a luxury badge, but it's them. Steven Yang is CEO of both companies. It's like Honda / Acura :iiaca:

If those actually keep connection with your device and have the advertised battery life they would be pretty incredible...but kickstarter :(

edit: nevermind, three and half hours of battery life on a single charge, and the charging case can top up the earbuds a whopping 12 times (for a total battery life of close to 48 hours).

DangerZoneDelux fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 25, 2017

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Am I the only goon with a BlackBerry KeyOne?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GutBomb posted:

Am I the only goon with a BlackBerry KeyOne?

Had one, hated it, gave it to another user.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I did a factory reset on my Pixel XL for the first time since switching to Authenticator+, and I was looking forward to my all my 2FA codes being persistent. Well the app seemingly fully restored, but none of the codes work now and I have to re-do all 2FA. Pretty loving useless and I'm done with this app now.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did a factory reset on my Pixel XL for the first time since switching to Authenticator+, and I was looking forward to my all my 2FA codes being persistent. Well the app seemingly fully restored, but none of the codes work now and I have to re-do all 2FA. Pretty loving useless and I'm done with this app now.

Odd, I just did this when I got my Pixel replacement for my 6P and it worked fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Thermopyle posted:

Odd, I just did this when I got my Pixel replacement for my 6P and it worked fine.

No idea :( I didn't do anything special. Loaded Authenticator+ , entered my master password, selected my Google Account, loaded in all the tokens, tried to login a few and got "incorrect code". I'm proceeding to reset them all manually now, it really loving blows.