Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
who is this 'fip' character and why do people like their mode so much.

i prefer toris mode myself

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

Fips is the jar jar of security

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Harik posted:

I got that via running it and watching what it did, when I saw an ftp user and password I just laughed. It's nice running RE on something written so naievely.

As tempting as it is, I'll avoid the poop. Gonna see if I can find this 'Marlowe' via anything the dropper itself did.

Oh, most AV catches this one (virustotal) but not windows defender or clam, yet. How do I poke them? Defender is a big omit.

you can probably submit it to clam somewhere on their website, no idea about defender. upload it to virustotal if you haven't already

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

testing the credentials is dodgy as it could just be a compromised account that the malware author doesn't really own. should probably avoid doing that anyway as you're just going to set off alarm bells on the attacker's end

Harik posted:

I got that via running it and watching what it did, when I saw an ftp user and password I just laughed. It's nice running RE on something written so naievely.

To be clear: I watched a wireshark of it's network activity, saw it connected to a FTP server (TLS), then initiated a transfer. I.E. the program itself connected with it's own credentials. The only alarm that would raise is "some sucker fell for this and ran it." I should have kept the VM firewalled off and setup a honeypot FTP to log everything it did. I'll do that next time I feel like reversing something. I also should have paid more attention to the direction of the transfer - it uploaded the empty buttcoin wallet I keep on the VM for exactly this kind of poo poo to find. That's why I thought the stage2 would be more interesting than the stub, but there is no stage2.

It's "Crypto Currencies Wallet Stealer 1.1" with the credentials of a freewebhost he's using to drop them. Emails sent but it's not like I found undetected ransomware or something interesting. If he reacts fast he'll get my empty wallet before they shut down the account.

mid 90s something like this happened when someone logged into our servers to setup a phishing form. Back then, I watched his session, saw him connect back to his home server on dialup with a loving password to get the template files - and then I followed him in, grabbed his password list and nuked his copy. spent a while sending emails to people in the list explaining they needed to change their password and why, but overall I felt it was the "right" choice at the time. maybe it wasn't?

whitehat trolley problem. is there ethical responsibility to take action in any case?

or I'm just bitter because a virus that wasn't widely detected could have been interesting but was just more stupid buttcoin bullshit.

cinci zoo sniper posted:

you can probably submit it to clam somewhere on their website, no idea about defender. upload it to virustotal if you haven't already

it's on VT, I always check hash first. That's how I know clam & defender didn't see it but stuff like eset shows it as generic.trojan.

e: :lol:

https://www.clamav.net/malware

Sorry, this page does not exist

Go back home -->

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

anatoliy pltkrvkay posted:

it's so bad even microsoft says not to use it. furthermore,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/811834/prb-cannot-visit-ssl-sites-after-you-enable-fips-compliant-cryptograph posted:

This error may occur if you have enabled the following local security setting (or the setting has been enabled as part of a domain Group Policy setting):

System cryptography: Use FIPS compliant algorithms for encryption, hashing, and signing.

If this setting is enabled, the security channel provider of the operating system is forced to use only the following security algorithms: TLS_RSA_WITH_3DES_EDE_CBC_SHA. This behavior forces the security channel provider to negotiate only the stronger Trasnport Layer Security (TLS) 1.0 protocol when you use applications such as Microsoft Windows Messenger, Microsoft MSN Messenger, and Internet Explorer to visit SSL sites.

anthonypants fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 25, 2017

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

3des is slow as balls but still fine. In general it should be the last cipher in your suite list for backwards compatibility with dumb old poo poo and isn't hurting anything unless you're trying to go DHE-suites only.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Harik posted:

To be clear: I watched a wireshark of it's network activity, saw it connected to a FTP server (TLS), then initiated a transfer. I.E. the program itself connected with it's own credentials. The only alarm that would raise is "some sucker fell for this and ran it." I should have kept the VM firewalled off and setup a honeypot FTP to log everything it did. I'll do that next time I feel like reversing something. I also should have paid more attention to the direction of the transfer - it uploaded the empty buttcoin wallet I keep on the VM for exactly this kind of poo poo to find. That's why I thought the stage2 would be more interesting than the stub, but there is no stage2.

not touching the poop means not touching the poop, not bragging that you think you didn't get caught touching the poop while touching the poop

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Built in accounts strike again!

Cocoa Crispies posted:

not touching the poop means not touching the poop, not bragging that you think you didn't get caught touching the poop while touching the poop

.....I think he's saying he was sandboxing to see what the infection would be?

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Sep 25, 2017

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Cocoa Crispies posted:

letting the malware do it's own thing is touching the poop? this is a yes/no question: Running the program as received and seeing what it does is considered poop touching?

because absolutely nowhere in there do I talk about launching an ftp client or other direct actions - this is just running it and watching the network in wireshark.

e: i bet you mean "validate the credentials work". that was phrased badly - i saw they worked because the ftp portion of the sample worked and was able to transfer files.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
oh my god

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Nothing makes me feel better about my security policies like seeing how badly the top rated consulting firm in the world does theirs

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Writeup is out: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/source-deloitte-breach-affected-all-company-email-admin-accounts/

quote:

Indeed, it appears that Deloitte has known something was not right for some time. According to this source, the company sent out a “mandatory password reset” email on Oct. 13, 2016 to all Deloitte employees in the United States. The notice stated that employee passwords and personal identification numbers (PINs) needed to be changed by Oct. 17, 2016, and that employees who failed to do so would be unable to access email or other Deloitte applications. The message also included advice on how to pick complex passwords:

lol if you think forcing 263,000 people to reset their passwords all at once will be seen as anything other than panic mode

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CommieGIR posted:

Nothing makes me feel better about my security policies like seeing how badly the top rated consulting firm in the world does theirs

my gmail account with a yubikey in a drawer somewhere and a code generator on my phone feels like more security than 99% of the enterprise world right now.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

it is

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Writeup is out: https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/source-deloitte-breach-affected-all-company-email-admin-accounts/

lol if you think forcing 263,000 people to reset their passwords all at once will be seen as anything other than panic mode

There is a guardian article that says that they have known about the hack since March, but only the senior partners and the security consultants they brought in have been made aware.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/25/deloitte-hit-by-wizard-attack-revealing-clients-secret-emails

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

toilet and douche

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Phrosphor posted:

There is a guardian article that says that they have known about the hack since March, but only the senior partners and the security consultants they brought in have been made aware.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/25/deloitte-hit-by-wizard-attack-revealing-clients-secret-emails

I'm calling bull.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

toilet and douche

:mmmhmm:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i hope all their poo poo gets leaked :getin:

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

same but it sucks for all their clients

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

hope the EU shows it muscles now

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

the first one of these to happen after gdpr arrives is gonna be good

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

THANK YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

spankmeister posted:

they deserve it. only rich assholes and monstrous corporations use companies like toilet & douche

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Powaqoatse posted:

they deserve it. only rich assholes and monstrous corporations use companies like toilet & douche

They do a lot of pentesting for smaller companies as well. Would suck really bad for those reports to leak.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

They also do normal financial auditing which tends to be required in many territories.

In other news, pretend you work at phishlabs, now feel sad because you work at phishlabs and are probably very incompetent. Are they internet trolls or something? they reported the login page of our product as a phishing page. What the gently caress.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

spankmeister posted:

literally don't feel bad about anything that happens to any client of deloitte's. They work for the worst people in the world.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

computer bad, hypervisor not enough

https://twitter.com/abu_y0ussef/status/912276772800090112

e: and another fun one Tavis just retweeted, some pretty simple iphone 7/galaxy S7 remote code execution https://bugs.chromium.org/p/project-zero/issues/detail?id=1289

e2: downside of being in the uk means everyone's asleep so I look like an rear end in a top hat when more and more things come in. bitcoin mining script was on showtime.com supposedly put there by hackers https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/09/25/showtime_hit_with_coinmining_script/?mt=1506379755407

Jewel fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 26, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
deloitte bought out my former employer. i wonder what impact it will have for me

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Better job prospect cause now you can say you worked at big 4. Before it became big 3.

Also you'll get invited to.alumni events where they kiss your rear end hoping you give them business.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Lain Iwakura posted:

deloitte bought out my former employer. i wonder what impact it will have for me

you dropped that in the grey thread before here. as you're never willing to speak on your former employer (for obv reasons) can you just advise as to how relatively hosed we are?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

If you aren't running ECC or at least TRR capable hardware in TYOOL2017...

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

poo poo, these days I have to specifically turn guest memory dedupe ON by exclusion. I think even click-next installation of esxi by default leaves ram dedupe off and warns you when you're turning it on

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cheese-cube posted:

you dropped that in the grey thread before here. as you're never willing to speak on your former employer (for obv reasons) can you just advise as to how relatively hosed we are?

no clue :(

i haven't worked there in almost three years (actually i think i gave notice on this very day three years ago) so i am unsure. based on what was in my e-mails at the time i was working there, all sorts of awful things could surface but i could only speculate at best

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

LOL PACK IT UP BOYS WERE hosed!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

If you aren't running ECC or at least TRR capable hardware in TYOOL2017...

i thought ECC didn't actually protect against rowhammer, or like it was at least still possible if you were clever

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ate all the Oreos posted:

i thought ECC didn't actually protect against rowhammer, or like it was at least still possible if you were clever

Correct

quote:

Different methods exist for more or less successful detection, prevention, correction or mitigation of the row hammer effect. Tests show that simple ECC solutions, providing single-error correction and double-error detection (SECDED) capabilities, are not able to correct or detect all observed disturbance errors because some of them include more than two flipped bits per memory word.

TRR or pTRR provides more protection, and was pushed as part of the DDR4 specs. You can force faster row refreshes as well to help counter it, but it cuts into your throughput.

fyallm posted:

Hahaha Deloitte ... What.. The... gently caress..

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/912712517541089282

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Sep 26, 2017

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

https://twitter.com/Viss/status/912437594993987584

Security Fuckup Megathread - v. 14.1 - 'a;sljfasdfjadjaserfaweakjwtgfaehasrhfasd;

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CommieGIR posted:

fyallm posted:

Hahaha Deloitte ... What.. The... gently caress..

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/912712517541089282
ahahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cheese-cube posted:

LOL PACK IT UP BOYS WERE hosed!!!

• Locked thread