Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

We are playing HOI4 MP rn if you wanna join Larry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
oh poo poo paradox sale steam! trying to decide between EU or crusader kings. ive never played these kinds of games really.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pookum posted:

oh poo poo paradox sale steam! trying to decide between EU or crusader kings. ive never played these kinds of games really.

Europa Universalis IV is godlike. I think vanilla CKII is neat too, but either way, defintely dont feel the need to buy a million DLCs. Just buy one or the other and check it out for a while.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
That mod looks pretty crazy. I'm definitely in next game.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

stellaris sucks!!

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

extremely steampunk posted:

stellaris sucks!!

It's shocking how bad the game is and it's amazing how the devs refuse to address the biggest problems with the game

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Larry Parrish posted:

It's shocking how bad the game is and it's amazing how the devs refuse to address the biggest problems with the game

Its honestly impressive how messed up the ship designer is. You have all these options for loadout but the ships behavior is locked into place so in practice it doesnt matter and it would be faster just to have a preset ship classes that get stat buffs with technology

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Larry Parrish posted:

I keep plugging hours into it and refuse to do anything w/r/t war

what's the pro map gamers complaints with it, can't just be the war

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Is Mandate of Heaven worth it if the only Asian games I play are in India and a kind of vague interest in doing a daimyo game one day?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

everything north and east of bengal will be a ming tributary and you'll have to pay the fee to conquer them

there's like two age bonuses in every age worth taking and even if you put 0 effort into things you'll probably get all of them

the diplo macro thing rules though

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The diplo macro thing is the only reason I haven't reverted back to 1.19 or whatever.

the rest of the patch sucks

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hubris.height posted:

I keep plugging hours into it and refuse to do anything w/r/t war

what's the pro map gamers complaints with it, can't just be the war

It's the useless diplomacy, annoying planet tile micro, godawful sector AI which encourages you to micro as many planets as possible, the pointless ship designer, hugely imbalanced FTL types, total lack of interesting terrain, and then you have the retarded combat and horrible war system.

Basically the whole game except for exploring is incredible rear end.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
those are definitely legitimate complaints

e: even with those complaints, this is really the only space empire game that's scratched the itch for me, so i hope they just start fixing some of those things. honestly, i never really played map games so i have no point of reference for where stellaris is failing

hubris.height fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 25, 2017

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english/doc/2004-05/29/content_334845.htm

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

The best thing I can say about Stellaris is that it isn't Civilization: Beyond Earth

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The best thing I can say about Stellaris is that it isn't Civilization: Beyond Earth

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

did sword of the stars 2 ever get fixed by their developers?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

did sword of the stars 2 ever get fixed by their developers?

no

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good sesh map gamers. The East Asian block will soon rule the western world.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
what is the best space empire simulator atm

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Probably Distant Worlds: Universe

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lumpy the Cook posted:

Probably Distant Worlds: Universe

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

I liked the original sword of the stars. Its a shame the second game turned out the way it did.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
http://store.steampowered.com/app/311260/The_Guild_3/

does anyone remember this series? this could be cool once it releases.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I want a cold war mapgame so bad.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

discount cathouse posted:

If they get rid of the parts where you have to move your character around manually it will be good imo

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Imagine a Stanislav Petrov random event, and if you hosed up it would force you into a grueling post apocalypse scenario

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Having to contend with a rolling doomsday clock pushed to the brink by global nuclear proliferation would be awesome

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Average Bear posted:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/406290/Twilight_Struggle/

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

discount cathouse posted:

Those reviews are not reassuring

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

Having to contend with a rolling doomsday clock pushed to the brink by global nuclear proliferation would be awesome

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I think this moves fast enough that we don't need to worry about it getting archived if I take it off sticky, but at the same time it's been up here for like 3 years.... What do you all think.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Idc, though I like mapgame superiority

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Idc, though I like mapgame superiority

leave it there

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I like that its permanently stickied

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

I kinda do too.... it's tradition

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

[quote="“In Training”" post="“476930737”"]
[/quote]

What was that Cold War map game that was in development a few years ago...what happened to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

east vs west

they had a dev diary about the strait between new zealand's north and south islands then paradox shut them down [not necessarily a causative link there]

an alpha version got leaked on piratebay or some similar site some time after