Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serf
May 5, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

Nah, dude, that's literally Slender Man.

Yeah, the look is pretty much taken directly from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, I do not want to know which "Ultimate _____" book that came from.

Unnatural Lust is from Ultimate Magic. It’s an okay spell with some very bad possible uses.

Slender candy van dude is from the new Book of the Damned hardcover, which is itself a compilation and update of the previous Book of the Damned softcovers. He first appeared in the third one, Horsemen of the Apocalypse.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Splicer posted:

His level two spell is magic roofies

Yeah, it calls to mind some of the nonsense surrounding repressed memory therapy. Granted, modify memory is permanent aside from another casting of modify memory as far as I can tell, so if you use it to wipe somebody's memory they literally have no way of remembering it. Unless it's cast again to counter your previous casting, because this is Pathfinder, where the only way to solve spell problems is more spells.

Granted, some people said I was unfairly hard on Pathfinder for the sexual assault going on in things like the Bestiary and your average half-orc, but it's not like they haven't had time to address it at this point, nor do they seemingly care to, given they just keep reprinting the books with this kind of thing in it. Granted, that could be incompetence as much as callousness - if there's anything reading through Starfinger is teaching me, it's that Paizo can still make bizarrely amateur mistakes even with their large design team (or perhaps because of it?). But the net effect is largely the same, irregardless of the cause.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Nuns with Guns posted:

It sounds like they had a chance to not be murdered? There's not enough context to say how obvious it was or if the PCs were cool with wiping.

Despite the Brandon Lee snafu, I do communicate with my players, and made sure they were ok with all of this both before and after the session in which they were killed. They had a chance to flee after being outright told they can't defeat the villain if they left another player to an uncertain fate (he was also cool with this, but they decided their characters wouldn't do that). There's also a currently ongoing adventure hook to restore their former bodies that ties into defeating the main antagonist. If any of them told me they feel aggrieved by the situation I would definitely have come up with an alternative, but as it stands it's just the way this adventure is unfolding.

But thanks to Elfgames for assuming I'm an evil DM mistreating my players from a single context-less anecdote.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Lurdiak posted:

But thanks to Elfgames for assuming I'm an evil DM mistreating my players from a single context-less anecdote.
Maybe you should try supplying all the context all at once instead of getting butthurt over people assuming that you're as lovely as you make yourself look.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Finally Japan is getting Kindle versions of their tabletop RPGs out, and a bunch (like 5) of homebrew systems are showing up on the Kindle store too. Finally I can get back to collecting random Japanese TRPGs without having to eat the shipping costs.

Also the Dark Souls TRPG is available in Kindle format. I kind of want to try it but the reviews are bad and I don't feel like spending $15 on it right now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yawgmoth posted:

Maybe you should try supplying all the context all at once instead of getting butthurt over people assuming that you're as lovely as you make yourself look.

Don't make me Mad Whitey you.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Thank god that Lurdiak Brand is coming over to TG after such excellent stints in BSS and CD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Thank god that Lurdiak Brand is coming over to TG after such excellent stints in BSS and CD.

You say that like you don't mean it.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah, it calls to mind some of the nonsense surrounding repressed memory therapy. Granted, modify memory is permanent aside from another casting of modify memory as far as I can tell, so if you use it to wipe somebody's memory they literally have no way of remembering it. Unless it's cast again to counter your previous casting, because this is Pathfinder, where the only way to solve spell problems is more spells.

Granted, some people said I was unfairly hard on Pathfinder for the sexual assault going on in things like the Bestiary and your average half-orc, but it's not like they haven't had time to address it at this point, nor do they seemingly care to, given they just keep reprinting the books with this kind of thing in it. Granted, that could be incompetence as much as callousness - if there's anything reading through Starfinger is teaching me, it's that Paizo can still make bizarrely amateur mistakes even with their large design team (or perhaps because of it?). But the net effect is largely the same, irregardless of the cause.

His 'symbol' is a skeletal handful of sweets.

What the gently caress?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Getsuya posted:

Finally Japan is getting Kindle versions of their tabletop RPGs out, and a bunch (like 5) of homebrew systems are showing up on the Kindle store too. Finally I can get back to collecting random Japanese TRPGs without having to eat the shipping costs.

Also the Dark Souls TRPG is available in Kindle format. I kind of want to try it but the reviews are bad and I don't feel like spending $15 on it right now.

I'm assuming not in English, though, huh?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

PST posted:

His 'symbol' is a skeletal handful of sweets.

What the gently caress?

Paizo is a company that decided to reference Deliverance in its first adventure path very directly and is all too happy to tout it as one of their finest achievements. I think they're large enough to be a multi-headed hydra where some parts of the company legit care about being progressive, and there is a push in that direction, but it's just not company-wide and so you still have this poo poo floating to the top every now and then.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I imagine those people just rubbing their temples and sighing every time something like this happens.

Also hey now I know an AP to definitely never read through.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'm assuming not in English, though, huh?

Nope, but apparently Dark Souls TRPG is just GURPS with Souls setting fluff, so it probably wouldn't be hard to recreate.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I really want an aggressively anime medieval fantasy TRPG to get translated to go along with Double Cross's aggressively anime urban fantasy

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
Ryuutama?

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Getsuya posted:

Are they available in the US Kindle store? I don't have a spare device I can set up for other countries unfortunately.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Getsuya posted:

Ryuutama?

Way too kind of chill and tame for what I'm imagining.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
hey whatever hapened with meikyuu kingdom

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

I'd say Tenra but it's more Japanese fantasy than medieval fantasy.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Blockhouse posted:

I really want an aggressively anime medieval fantasy TRPG to get translated to go along with Double Cross's aggressively anime urban fantasy

On a scale of Lodoss Wars to Magical Circle Guru Guru, how anime do you mean?

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Kill Six Billion Demons person came out with a mech RPG that's based on shadow of the demon lord's system?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons person came out with a mech RPG that's based on shadow of the demon lord's system?

Hold up, what? Where?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

occamsnailfile posted:

Are they available in the US Kindle store? I don't have a spare device I can set up for other countries unfortunately.

Nope, sorry.

Blockhouse posted:

Way too kind of chill and tame for what I'm imagining.

Oh, yeah there are a bunch that fit that but none translated.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

yeah you can't just say that and not have a link to something

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Serf posted:

Hold up, what? Where?

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/912412449499889664

pretty much came out of nowhere for me. Going to read it later when I have time.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Impermanent posted:

hey whatever hapened with meikyuu kingdom

didn't it turn out to be more of a bad board game than an rpg? that was the vibe I got when someone posted about having played it here.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

how is the Kill Six Billion Demons RPG, since that's apparently a thing (and a thing I'm far more interested in)

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Countblanc posted:

didn't it turn out to be more of a bad board game than an rpg? that was the vibe I got when someone posted about having played it here.

Can confirm. I dunno if it's fully bad as a board game, but Meikyuu certainly wasn't a good RPG.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
if you want a good RPG-based board game I heavily encourage everyone here to look into Gloomhaven. it had a kickstarter a while ago which put a limited number of copies out in the wild, but has since run a second one that was wildly successful and it should be possible to find copies at your FLGS or online without paying scalper prices, at least for the first few months (expect it in stores late october/november). it has - by far - the best combat system I've seen in an rpg-style board game, where you have a hand of cards with two halves, basically a minor/move action + a standard action and you choose one card for each type every turn and reveal them simultaneously. it's heavily 4e-inspired by the creator's admission.

it's also Board Game Thread Approved

Countblanc fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 25, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Yeah, if you're going to do Meikyuu, you'd almost be better off just taking the premise and plugging it into [INSERT FAVORITE FANTASY RPG HERE]. The main drawback would just be the fact that it's hard to find good kingdom-building rules, but Meikyuu's kingdom-building isn't worth the rest of the game. It mostly consists of choosing what table you want to roll on to see what random poo poo happens (usually nothing too exciting) and plodding along hypercautiously in vaguely adorable fantasy vietnam as the party ninja has unfun just scouting and pulling traps and no, I'm not bitter, why would I be, everybody else at least gets to roll on the table while I get to be the party metal detector middle management, yay, so exciting.

It's not great is what I'm getting at.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's not a good game but it has heart and a wonderful artstyle at least, more than what you can say of a lot of stuff out there.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I picked up one of the homebrews on Japanese Kindle because it said it had a revolutionary new conflict resolution system perfect for online play-by-post games.

Turns out the system is: if the challenge is hard you have to write a longer description of how your character clears it.

No see Japanese homebrew RPG maker, the reason we have dice rolls in the first place is because we discovered that just talking it out didn't work. Although apparently the system works for these guys because 400 pages of the manual are dedicated to a replay that reads like a horrendously long thread on an RP forum.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

how is the Kill Six Billion Demons RPG, since that's apparently a thing (and a thing I'm far more interested in)

Hos is KSBD as a comic? I read the first few pages and it seems cool, but also feels a bit too painfully like it's aping Sandman. Is it trying to be clever or is it actually clever?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hos is KSBD as a comic? I read the first few pages and it seems cool, but also feels a bit too painfully like it's aping Sandman. Is it trying to be clever or is it actually clever?

it's nothing like sandman and i wouldn't describe "cleverness" as what it's trying to do in the first place

i like it but tbh the art is the main draw, and the setting is cool. it's a pretty average adventure / travelogue thing otherwise

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Sep 25, 2017

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Getsuya posted:

I picked up one of the homebrews on Japanese Kindle because it said it had a revolutionary new conflict resolution system perfect for online play-by-post games.

Turns out the system is: if the challenge is hard you have to write a longer description of how your character clears it.

No see Japanese homebrew RPG maker, the reason we have dice rolls in the first place is because we discovered that just talking it out didn't work. Although apparently the system works for these guys because 400 pages of the manual are dedicated to a replay that reads like a horrendously long thread on an RP forum.

Yeah that sounds like a slightly more regimented freeform RP, which isn't something new. Personally I think PbP would benefit more from like a point system or action tokens, something like that.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Der Waffle Mous posted:

https://twitter.com/Orbitaldropkick/status/912412449499889664

pretty much came out of nowhere for me. Going to read it later when I have time.

Well this seems interesting, always up for looking at a new Mecha RPG

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I skimmed the Lancer rules - pretty sweet hack of ShadowOTDL. Seems like it's be a lot more flexible than ShadowOTDL's commitment to old school dungeon crawling. The Mech/Weapons section especially is that perfect blend of crunch and fluff.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like how the mecha fluff reads like you're reading a sales catalog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The first few pages are not representative of the comic. I bounced off of it for the same reason a while back, but you don't have to push very far past that rough start to get into some great material.

• Locked thread