Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

exquisite tea posted:

This is probably on a lot of people's wishlists but I'd love to play a murder mystery game set in medieval Europe, so while you use forensic evidence and good detective work to solve crimes, your suspects also have an even chance of being a witch or possessed by the devil.

well there's always http://store.steampowered.com/app/241620/Inquisitor/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

EU4 uses RTwP and is... good

It's more fun to just leave the game on 5x all the time

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!
https://twitter.com/euthanasian/status/912400943190204416

Is this what all the cool girls wear to bed now?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

In Training posted:

It's more fun to just leave the game on 5x all the time

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

I don't think they employ any humans either, what the gently caress is up with that model

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

they're right, but only because nobody actually works on sfv it's been being updated by robots for the last 16 months

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Chun li somehow got pale versions of sagats legs

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Samuringa posted:

I don't think they employ any humans either, what the gently caress is up with that model

Her appendages are in a constant war with each other for nutrients. Right now the legs are winning over the arms who have had to consolidate the hands.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

What the gently caress is that outfit.

It's not even like 'sexy sleepwear' or something. It's... what is that an apron over a thong and crocs?

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Somebody has never skipped leg day.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I think it's a fool's errand to try to understand modern Street Fighter's art style, or wonder if anyone working on it has ever seen clothes.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

chumbler posted:

I think it's a fool's errand to try to understand modern Street Fighter's art style, or wonder if anyone working on it has ever seen clothes.

I call it slutty claymation

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
So the guys get spooky Halloween outfits, and the girls lose their pants.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saint Freak posted:

So the guys get spooky Halloween outfits, and the girls lose their pants.

And it only costs 60 dollars

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Man, I remember Street Fighter 3 and thinking "Wow they went all out on Chun Li's thighs" but this is on a whole 'nother plane. Also the outfit is pretty ridiculous.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Why are you guys posting screenshots from Spore again?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
did street fighter v get uglier somehow

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Colonel posted:

did street fighter v get uglier somehow

Yeah and it's called Marvel VS Capcom Infinite lol

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Why can't Capcom make people anymore

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

lets hang out posted:

Why can't Capcom make people anymore

They dont care

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
everyone at capcom who once knew how to design and 3d model characters has melted and now creates human beings in their own image

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

i think it's progressive of them to include characters with marfan syndrome in their fighting game

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm still trying to work out what she's actually wearing. I mean I know what it looks like but what's it supposed to be?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

chumbler posted:

There's some kind of capcom design document about anatomy in street fighter they released and I think it's something like they exaggerate limbs because they're designed to be viewed from the side/the freakishly large hands and feet help the player immediately understand what the character is doing

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm still trying to work out what she's actually wearing. I mean I know what it looks like but what's it supposed to be?
it reads to me like if they made a street fighter babies game, that's what baby chun li would be wearing

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

There's some kind of capcom design document about anatomy in street fighter they released and I think it's something like they exaggerate limbs because they're designed to be viewed from the side/the freakishly large hands and feet help the player immediately understand what the character is doing

too bad it looks ugly in the new games no matter which angle you view it from

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...

homeless snail posted:

it reads to me like if they made a street fighter babies game, that's what baby chun li would be wearing

pictured: chun-li (larval stage)

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Sakurazuka posted:

well, have you ever heard of this thing called a hadaka apron.......

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

I basically agree with everything that you said but I don't think you've identified why RTeP is bad. I think you have identified the design constraints that RTwP should have.

I think there are basically five (maybe 6?) fundamental RPG battle systems. We've mostly been talking about I go-you-go Turn Based (with initiative queues) (Wasteland, Fallout 2) vs RTwP (BG2, PoE) vs full on Real Time (Starcraft)

To that I'd add:
* Active Time Battles (FF IV etc)
* Simultaneous Turn-Based (we all input our orders and then the turn plays out) (Diplomacy)
And maybe as a subset of I-go-you-go Turn-Based — my side moves then your side moves (X-COM)

What full on Real Time, RTwP, ATB & Simultaneous Turn Based get you is the idea of everything happening at once. It generally flows better. It feels like an active fight instead of a board game. All the turn based options, and especially the I-go-you-go variations are obviously much more deliberate in the experience.

Real Time is the gold standard here, but the cost is that it demands higher mechanical mastery for the same level of complexity. ATB, RTwP & STB all try to mitigate that in different ways. By reducing the number of abilities you need to account for (ATB generally keeps lots of abilities but removes positioning from the mix) games like StarCraft have very limited numbers of spalls for casters and so on. RTwP instead allows you to recreate the full complexity of a system like 2nd Ed DnD by reassuring the player "It's OK, you can pause if this gets to be too much".

Other ways of mitigating that are reducing party size, having better AI, or making the goddamn spell lists much shorter. RTwP makes it easier to avoid confronting the UI problems of your crazy magic system by giving the developers an out, but it's pretty clear that Obsidian agrees with you that 6 person parties with lots of marginally different spells/abilities isn't much fun. Which is why they are dropping to 5 members and cleaning up the buff/debuffs and reducing the number of abilities in general for PoE 2.

The thing is that done well, RTwP doesn't even announce itself as such. FF12 (which I have not yet played) makes a feature out of the complexity by creating a gambit system that allows you to plan out and design AI scripts and then watch it play out like clockwork. You can pause it, or take control as you need in the moment. A lot of people love that game and the combat in it. I regularly forget that DA:2 and DA:I are RTwP but they are. It's just that your smaller party, reasonable AI, and limited moves lets you ignore the pausing for the most part. It's there if you need it. And I bet almost no one thinks of Mass Effect as a RTwP series but in single player it absolutely is.

OK, but PoE is an isometric RPG and not a cover shooter. Why not make everything turn based? Beyond the nostalgia factor, let's not forget the weaknesses of turn-based. There are lots and lots of moments in TB combat when it's REALLY BORING. It requires the same amount of effort and attention to move my party forwards in an otherwise empty field as it does in the middle of an insane firefight. Anyone who has spent 15 minutes looking for the last alien pod in an XCOM mission knows the pain I speak of here. And it feels lovely and helpless to watch your character who missed their 96% attack weather the storm of retaliation. That's a feel-bad moment that RTwP avoids.

Simultaneity is fun. But being able to play a game without needing 200APM is also fun. RTwP allows you to dance up and down the scale of attention according to the complexity of the situation. Which isn't to say that this should give developers a free pass to make their games stupidly complex. I too end up favouring passive abilities in my RTwP games and I generally find that levels 5-15 are more fun than early game when I can't do anything and late game when there are too many things I could do.

At its best RTwP is like EUIV. You run the simulation but from time to time to stop, step in and tinker.

doingitwrong fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 25, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

For those who have been following the SAG-AFTRA strike, it appears that tentative terms have been established. Gogo better pay and disclosure for the actors who bring your favorite games to life!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

my favorite video game voice actor is a monotone beep or tapping sound that plays as the letters fill the text box

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I just saw some gameplay videos of Ruiner and now I'm mega ultra hyped it's probably Game Of The Month

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

my favorite video game voice actor is a monotone beep or tapping sound that plays as the letters fill the text box

Yah. VA has its place but its a contributor to the dumbing down of several genres

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

chun li looks like an early jojo character

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord

Sakurazuka posted:

Some kind of...sleep bib? Maybe it catches drool. And her sleep apron in case she needs to do night baking. And a thong, which I don't think needs any explanation.

And like...crocs? Sleep crocs. For sleep walks.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Min0hkwO43g

ohhhhhhh yessssssssssssss

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

And like...crocs? Sleep crocs. For sleep walks.

I blame blizzard for bringing back crocs.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Meanwhile the producer of Dragon Ball FighterZ seems like a rad lady and I am looking forward to that game even though my sum total of Dragon Ball experience is, like, watching a handful of DBZ episodes as a kid

doingitwrong posted:

I basically agree with everything that you said but I don't think you've identified why RTeP is bad. I think you have identified the design constraints that RTwP should have.

The thing is that done well, RTwP doesn't even announce itself as such. FF12 (which I have not yet played) makes a feature out of the complexity by creating a gambit system that allows you to plan out and design AI scripts and then watch it play out like clockwork. You can pause it, or take control as you need in the moment. A lot of people love that game and the combat in it. I regularly forget that DA:2 and DA:I are RTwP but they are. It's just that your smaller party, reasonable AI, and limited moves lets you ignore the pausing for the most part. It's there if you need it. And I bet almost no one thinks of Mass Effect as a RTwP series but in single player it absolutely is.

I think that's fair. It actually completely slipped my mind that Dragon Age Origins was using a RTwP system that felt pretty good to use and that arguably the streamlining they did into DA2 (that was the "press X to awesome" game, right) made things worse. The more I think about it, the more I can see the niche that RTwP is well-equipped to occupy, it's just that it seems like the design work that needs to go into making it as fun as possible is definitely more effort-intensive than other systems. The design solutions for turn-based tactics seem clearer to me, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Buglord
Time to put on my human sleepwear that humans love. Like my uh, kevlar vest. And my backpack full of sleep snacks. And my cowboy boots. I loving love me some *looks at smudged writing on my giant alien hand* uh.... sloopware.

• Locked thread