Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cassa
Jan 29, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

How quickly does combat resolve in Fragged Empire? A friend is picking out systems to run, and one of their potential players has a disability that makes playing for long periods of time difficult. I don't want to advocate for a system that results in, like, pre-MM3 4E quagmires or something (but it's also something I can't really judge without playing it.)

I've found it pretty speedy, it can get a bit tactical but the enemy rules in the DMG letter you have some flavourful fights pretty easily. It's no high level fourth edition, that's for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Whoops I stopped a couple pages too early there is art of Slenderfinder:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's just the homem do saco's millenial reboot

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Arivia posted:

Ah, senor bag of crap.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Nice tasteful child hands pressing up against the inside of its face, too.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Hos is KSBD as a comic? I read the first few pages and it seems cool, but also feels a bit too painfully like it's aping Sandman. Is it trying to be clever or is it actually clever?

Kill Six Billion Demons is fantastic so far. Abbadon's love of shonen anime, wuxia action films, and Buddhist mythology shine through constantly. The actual story is pretty straightforward after it's set up, but still compelling. Even reading the author comments and hover text is worthwhile because of how Abbadon uses it to flesh out the word or include short fables.

Arivia posted:

God, why would anyone put child rapist slenderman in their high fantasy rpg?

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Sep 26, 2017

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Given that Fragged Kingdom's going to have, well, Kingdom building stuff and we're apparently going to get a "Traditional fantasy races" supplement at some point, I wonder how well it'd do for Meikyuu Kingdom's premise.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Paizo is a company that decided to reference Deliverance in its first adventure path very directly and is all too happy to tout it as one of their finest achievements. I think they're large enough to be a multi-headed hydra where some parts of the company legit care about being progressive, and there is a push in that direction, but it's just not company-wide and so you still have this poo poo floating to the top every now and then.

I am of course shocked at the number of Paizo/pathfinder fans defending them on this or just trying to change the narrative over it. I took the time to email Lisa Stevens, Eric Mona and James Jacobs with my thoughts on it, without reply. Given Mr Jacobs has defended it already, however, I doubt it'd do any good, but certainly going forwards i'll think of Paizo as the +2 for child abuse and bonus date rape company.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PST posted:

I am of course shocked at the number of Paizo/pathfinder fans defending them on this or just trying to change the narrative over it. I took the time to email Lisa Stevens, Eric Mona and James Jacobs with my thoughts on it, without reply. Given Mr Jacobs has defended it already, however, I doubt it'd do any good, but certainly going forwards i'll think of Paizo as the +2 for child abuse and bonus date rape company.

Has he? Can you link it? I honestly just saw this looking through the Book of the Damned, I didn't know it was a thing at all.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Arivia posted:

Has he? Can you link it? I honestly just saw this looking through the Book of the Damned, I didn't know it was a thing at all.

On re-searching the thread, I was mistaken, it was Paizo contributors who wrote about being proud of it and that it was deliberately written to be as edgy as possible, not Mr Jacobs.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PST posted:

On re-searching the thread, I was mistaken, it was Paizo contributors who wrote about being proud of it and that it was deliberately written to be as edgy as possible, not Mr Jacobs.

Can you link that then? I'm curious what the actual Paizo response is and I'm not sure if it would be in the product thread or what.

edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Sep 26, 2017

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Anyone got any info or opinions on this Maelstrom RPG that's the newest Bundle of Holding?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Arivia posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvJniRif5og&t=194s

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Paizo is a company that decided to reference Deliverance in its first adventure path very directly and is all too happy to tout it as one of their finest achievements. I think they're large enough to be a multi-headed hydra where some parts of the company legit care about being progressive, and there is a push in that direction, but it's just not company-wide and so you still have this poo poo floating to the top every now and then.

They also got in on teaming up with the Kingdom Death dude which was kind of a big red warning sign for me earlier this year.

I mean bad game recognize bad game and all that

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

it's nothing like sandman and i wouldn't describe "cleverness" as what it's trying to do in the first place

i like it but tbh the art is the main draw, and the setting is cool. it's a pretty average adventure / travelogue thing otherwise

The mish-mash of weird alien demigods felt very Planescape/Sandman-esque from what I read, but the art is legit great, and I'll definitely give it another shot. Especially with:

Nuns with Guns posted:

Kill Six Billion Demons is fantastic so far. Abbadon's love of shonen anime, wuxia action films, and Buddhist mythology shine through constantly. The actual story is pretty straightforward after it's set up, but still compelling. Even reading the author comments and hover text is worthwhile because of how Abbadon uses it to flesh out the word or include short fables.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Cinnamon Bear posted:

They also got in on teaming up with the Kingdom Death dude which was kind of a big red warning sign for me earlier this year.

There's always money in the banana stand!

(and by 'the banana stand' I mean 'people's weird fetishes')

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

LuiCypher posted:

There's always money in the banana stand!

(and by 'the banana stand' I mean 'people's weird fetishes')

Catering to that particular weird fetish is generally reason to have your product seized in a lot of countries though.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I know we're all joking here but I really don't want to see "Paizo thought Slender Man was an edgy thing to put in a demon book" blow up to "Paizo is catering to pedophiles"

Unless w e're talking about a Kingdom Death thing I don't know about, which would be anything as I'm only vaguely aware of Kingdom Death.

e: Well I just did some Kingdom Death research and yo what the gently caress

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 26, 2017

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Blockhouse posted:

I know we're all joking here but I really don't want to see "Paizo thought Slender Man was an edgy thing to put in a demon book" blow up to "Paizo is catering to pedophiles"
I dunno how you could get anything else from "stalk a child to gain a bonus to charisma rolls, also get rape spells" really. Having the art be an internet meme doesn't really change the inherent grossness of the text.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Lurdiak posted:

God, who cares. I just wanted to tell a story about DM/player miscommunication.

And, instead, you told a story that was DM/player miscommunication.

(We're the players in this analogy)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Yawgmoth posted:

I dunno how you could get anything else from "stalk a child to gain a bonus to charisma rolls, also get rape spells" really. Having the art be an internet meme doesn't really change the inherent grossness of the text.

So it turns out gently caress me because I actually missed what the first spell was

loving yikes

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Blockhouse posted:

So it turns out gently caress me
let me get my spellbook

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
James Jacobs’ reasoning in the product thread is that this dude is another form of evil for players to sword in a book of evils for players to sword. Which I buy. I don’t think Paizo is actually appealing to pedophiles, the dude isn’t presented as good or attractive. It’s just an incredibly gross, inappropriate thing in the game they’ve set up.

Bonus: Apparently the version printed was toned DOWN by editorial from what was originally submitted. :stonk:

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
Is it racist to say that dwarves like stonework and gems?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Splicer posted:

let me get my spellbook

Do I have to buy PMs now

Serf
May 5, 2011

Arivia posted:

James Jacobs’ reasoning in the product thread is that this dude is another form of evil for players to sword in a book of evils for players to sword. Which I buy. I don’t think Paizo is actually appealing to pedophiles, the dude isn’t presented as good or attractive. It’s just an incredibly gross, inappropriate thing in the game they’ve set up.

Bonus: Apparently the version printed was toned DOWN by editorial from what was originally submitted. :stonk:

This is the same justification that the Tournament of Rapists guy used.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm definitely not googling that one.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
goddamn why do you need a reason. Players take a sword to the loving shopkeep all the time

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

gradenko_2000 posted:

goddamn why do you need a reason. Players take a sword to the loving shopkeep all the time

"My players just won't kill anything! I keep trying to give them better and better reasons to kill things, or make things more and more abhorrent and evil to encourage them to kill something, anything, but they just won't do it!"

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
If they wanted a monster that threatened children to get players all ready for a demon murdering they could have done it by dropping the pedophile angle because a monster that eats kids is already evil enough.

Granted that'd make him even more of an obvious rip off but given the art that they published in the goddamn book is literally just Slender Man holding a candy cane I doubt that was high on their list of concerns.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Arivia posted:

But with Pathfinder, since NPCs are built the same way as a PC, anything that's a NPC option is a PC option, just as all the PC options are NPC options.

Serf
May 5, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

Players need no excuse to murder indiscriminately/make every random, insignificant npc their central obsession

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

"Hmm, how can I, as a writer and game designer, really make it clear that this child-eating demon is evil enough for the characters to fight? I wish there was some way to show that this child-eating demon is a bad guy."

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I'm fairly new to posting on the TG forum outside of random threads here and there so sorry if this sounds hopelessly naive but

Is players randomly murdering shopkeepers really a thing that happens in people's games in tyol 2017? I thought that was just an old outdated gaming joke like some Knights of the Dinner Table poo poo.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
it still happens in newbie groups because institutional knowledge isn't passed on well in this hobby, but I was also exaggerating for effect. It would have been a little more accurate to say that if the DM designates this NPC as The Bad Guy, the players are going to roll with it.

If they don't, that's not a problem solved by a mechanical rules implementation of a more morally reprehensible actor

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

Blockhouse posted:

I'm fairly new to posting on the TG forum outside of random threads here and there so sorry if this sounds hopelessly naive but

Is players randomly murdering shopkeepers really a thing that happens in people's games in tyol 2017? I thought that was just an old outdated gaming joke like some Knights of the Dinner Table poo poo.

I do get the occasional new player who's irreverent and murderous towards any NPC that isn't immediately supplicant and cooperative. "I shoot him" in response to someone not giving a discount, or not letting them off the hook, or whatever other NPC behavior the player decides they're even slightly inconvenienced by. It doesn't tend to last long and most of the time the player doesn't really go through with it.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

"My players just won't kill anything! I keep trying to give them better and better reasons to kill things, or make things more and more abhorrent and evil to encourage them to kill something, anything, but they just won't do it!"
Said no GM ever

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

drrockso20 posted:

Anyone got any info or opinions on this Maelstrom RPG that's the newest Bundle of Holding?

I'm curious about this too.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
*clears throat, taps microphone*

Failstrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Murderhobo PCs is also sometimes used as shorthand for "players will do crazy poo poo, don't sweat too much about motivating conflict."

• Locked thread