Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

CLAM DOWN posted:

I did a factory reset on my Pixel XL for the first time since switching to Authenticator+, and I was looking forward to my all my 2FA codes being persistent. Well the app seemingly fully restored, but none of the codes work now and I have to re-do all 2FA. Pretty loving useless and I'm done with this app now.

Authenticator+ has restored all my 2FA codes through several resets across three devices.

:shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Had one, hated it, gave it to another user.

What did you hate about it? I got one yesterday and I really like having a keyboard and it seems like a really solid phone.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Had you perhaps not set a timezone or otherwise had a bad time sync on the clock?
That's about the only reason it would give codes that fail, rather than simply have missing codes.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
Timezones, clock, etc, were all good before and after reset (always set to use network time). Google Account cloud sync was enabled and "successful". I dunno what the gently caress.

GutBomb posted:

What did you hate about it? I got one yesterday and I really like having a keyboard and it seems like a really solid phone.

Scroll back in my posts here, but it's an awkward outdated flimsy pile of garbage that rightfully isn't selling.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Timezones, clock, etc, were all good before and after reset (always set to use network time). Google Account cloud sync was enabled and "successful". I dunno what the gently caress.

Scroll back in my posts here, but it's an awkward outdated flimsy pile of garbage that rightfully isn't selling.

The couple of edgelord posts that say it sucks but don't really say why?

It's a pretty good phone. I'll probably use mine until the screen falls off.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

GutBomb posted:

I'm sure I asked why and he answered if you filter by his posts and go back maybe ten pages at most

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

GutBomb posted:

Physical keyboards are dumb. The camera is not competitive with modern flagships. Specs are midrange. It's 25% heavier than the Pixel, has a smaller screen, and is bigger physically. If you absolutely have to have a physical keyboards, you don't have much choice, but for everyone else there's no reason to accept the compromises to have it.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

My aunt for whom I'm the designated tech helper had some weird LG pseudo-smartphone with a physical keyboard, then "upgraded" to some kind of Samsung non-Galaxy that runs some old people version of Marshmallow with giant fonts and icons but when she tried to install one of those insurance company apps that gives you a discount if you drive good found out it's missing some basic feature like an accelerometer or something.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I guess I'm in the small set of users who's love a physical keyboard. Even something small like the Pre I was much better at writing on, plus it had loads of shortcuts you could add yourself. Maybe a Chinese company will make one one day that's not super expensive with bad specs.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

It's more likely that all the weird people who like those awful tiny keyboards will die out than someone will make one attached to a phone worth using.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's amazing how well blackberry hosed the boat. If they'd created Android phones with key and keyless variants of each model, the OS extended with security features like full hardware encryption and with better enterprise management, and done this five years ago and pushed hard on enterprise sales with these features as selling points, they could be sitting in an incredibly nice position.

They don't even have Microsoft sabotage as an excuse.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've had it fail to sync the database and had to manually grab it out of the cloud or off of another device, but I've never had it restore tokens that didn't work. It really sounds like the clock wasn't correct on the device.

Digital Jesus posted:

It's more likely that all the weird people who like those awful tiny keyboards will die out than someone will make one attached to a phone worth using.

Harsh, but fair.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I always thought I might have liked the Moto Backflip. Never got a chance to find out, though.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

MikeJF posted:

It's amazing how well blackberry hosed the boat. If they'd created Android phones with key and keyless variants of each model, the OS extended with security features like full hardware encryption and with better enterprise management, and done this five years ago and pushed hard on enterprise sales with these features as selling points, they could be sitting in an incredibly nice position.

They don't even have Microsoft sabotage as an excuse.

To be fair, to be in that position, they'd have had to be willing to burn down their business model in '07-'08, which was essentially the stream of revenue they were getting from Blackberry Internet Service subscriptions.

Would have been the right call, but it's a hard call to make in '08

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

In 08, yeah, but by 2010 or 11 it was clear, and going at it then instead of making halfhearted efforts after 2013 still would've let them position themselves well. The future of the smartphone market was basically clear after the Galaxy S II came out, but there was still time then to put a solid foot in the Android game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 26, 2017

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ignore

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

maltesh posted:

To be fair, to be in that position, they'd have had to be willing to burn down their business model in '07-'08, which was essentially the stream of revenue they were getting from Blackberry Internet Service subscriptions.

Would have been the right call, but it's a hard call to make in '08

You're looking at the wrong timeframe as 07-08 would have been the announcement and launch of the iPhone. They had realized by 2010 that they had no hope of bringing BBOS up to a competitive state and started work on BBOS 10 and that's when they should have abandoned work on their own OS and moved to Android. That's the absolute latest they could have made the switch and remained viable but they were too blinded by existing success in enterprise and too proud to admit that they lacked the time to launch a competitive consumer product and ecosystem.

If you read Losing the Signal it will become clear that they had hubris and myopia in such quantities that there was probably no way to save the company even if they had a year's head start on competing with Apple like Google did. They lacked the imagination and vision to understand what the smartphone was going to become that would have been required for any plausible escape from their destruction. At best, they could have remained relevant in enterprise a few years longer than they did but they suffered from exactly the same problem that Microsoft did which is an unwillingness to accept that they were incapable of incubating a viable ecosystem for both developers and consumers and their sunk costs and preconceived notions of what a smartphone can and should be meant they couldn't pivot to producing what the market wanted.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I didn't realize until last week that they're still sitting on QNX. But that asset is probably harder to sell off now that Android is taking over in some of the embedded spaces where QNX lived, like for car stereos and similar purposes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Microsoft should have went after RIM's business audience with Windows Phone rather than trying to complete with iOS and Android on a consumer level. They had the perfect in to make it work with Exchange and O365.

Instead they wanted a slice of that consumer pie and ended up choking.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

bull3964 posted:

Microsoft should have went after RIM's business audience with Windows Phone rather than trying to complete with iOS and Android on a consumer level. They had the perfect in to make it work with Exchange and O365.

Instead they wanted a slice of that consumer pie and ended up choking.

Windows Mobile 6.1 was the best

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Not supporting the core security features of your own email platform in WP at launch was the most mind numbingly stupid move in existence which basically handed all RIM market share to iOS.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Umm, what the gently caress. Not sure what happened but just unlocked my phone and all of my launcher settings are back at default. I had created custom app groups and all that, everything is gone. This was shortly after getting a bunch of Play store updates. Is that stuff backed up anywhere?

Edit: Nevermind, relaunched Now a few times and all of a sudden everything is back to normal. Uh alrighty then.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I know this thread mostly argues about pixel vs Samsung, but is there any reason to avoid the V30 once it's actually available? I listen to a lot of music on the go so if everyone else is abandoning the headphone jack and a note 8 is a lot of $$$ for little extra over the S8, what's the downside to getting the V30?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yawgmoft posted:

I know this thread mostly argues about pixel vs Samsung, but is there any reason to avoid the V30 once it's actually available? I listen to a lot of music on the go so if everyone else is abandoning the headphone jack and a note 8 is a lot of $$$ for little extra over the S8, what's the downside to getting the V30?

Outside of the bootloop fear (which is as rational as fearing the Note 8 exploding) not much. The OLED doesn't reach the full blacks and brightness of the Samsung OLEDs at least in pre-production units and you possibly have to wait until November until it launches (if the date for Germany is a guide). Also the Note probably isn't much more expensive by then - seems LG prices the V30 about 100 dollars below the Note 8, and by November that might be the street price of the Note 8.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Yawgmoft posted:

Don't let the headphone jack be your only selling point.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Decius posted:

Outside of the bootloop fear (which is as rational as fearing the Note 8 exploding) not much. The OLED doesn't reach the full blacks and brightness of the Samsung OLEDs at least in pre-production units and you possibly have to wait until November until it launches (if the date for Germany is a guide). Also the Note probably isn't much more expensive by then - seems LG prices the V30 about 100 dollars below the Note 8, and by November that might be the street price of the Note 8.

In fairness, only one model (Note 7, obv.) caught fire as far as I know. LG has had at least four different phones get the bootloop issue.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Decius posted:

(which is as rational as fearing the Note 8 exploding)

Samsung doesn't have a track record of exploding phones. LG has a long track record of bootlooping phones.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

nimper posted:

Don't let the headphone jack be your only selling point.

I'm pissed about the headphone jacks too, but even I've got to admit it wouldn't be that hard to tape one of these to my headphones and one to my car aux cable and call it a day:

https://www.amazon.com/Headphone-Anskp-Earphone-Connector-Motorola/dp/B075F3K84C/

It's like replaceable batteries, Apple ruined it for everyone and the writing is on the wall, no point raging against the machine now.

Edit: Maybe not that particular brand though, since those seem like fake reviews.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Sep 26, 2017

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I don't want to start up jack chat but it can certainly be a major selling point and I don't think that's "raging against the machine". Don't buy an inferior phone for the jack, but as long as there are options in the market I don't see why you wouldn't consider it.

If you're looking at the Note vs the V30 it's down to how okay you are with TouchWiz, Bixby, and the Samsung Experience vs. the extensive LG bootloop history and probably-okay-enough screen. LG might offer the same two year warranty that they did for the G6 and whether that gives you enough peace of mind is up to you.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Shere posted:

I don't want to start up jack chat but it can certainly be a major selling point and I don't think that's "raging against the machine". Don't buy an inferior phone for the jack, but as long as there are options in the market I don't see why you wouldn't consider it.

If you're looking at the Note vs the V30 it's down to how okay you are with TouchWiz, Bixby, and the Samsung Experience vs. the extensive LG bootloop history and probably-okay-enough screen. LG might offer the same two year warranty that they did for the G6 and whether that gives you enough peace of mind is up to you.

Oh I mean of course it's a perk... if I could get a Note 8 that magically ran stock Android, I'd do it in a second, but I guess I have to suck it up and get a Pixel 2 so I can count on updates.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

lol@u if you buy lg

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy
Speaking of Pixels, someone refresh my memory, does Google provide all warranty support for Pixels? Like if it is bought from T-Mobile or something, I can still get Play Store support? I got burned on the Nexus 6p battery because I didn't get it from the Play Store.

Blue Train posted:

lol@u if you buy lg

I know, but on the other hand, the Nexus 4 was the best phone I ever owned until the Nexus 6p.

My brother didn't fare as well, he had the legendary G3 with GPU overheating, hosed SD card slot, and bootlooping!

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Sep 26, 2017

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and LG G2 were good devices in my opinion.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Guillermus posted:

The Nexus 4, Nexus 5 and LG G2 were good devices in my opinion.

The nexus 5 had terrible build quality. Its buttons broke all the time, the back was weird and flexed a lot, the camera was complete rear end, and it boot looped. It was cheap, but probably not as cheap as it should have been for how bad it was.

The 5x fixed most of those issues, except having a bad processor and boot looping. Still a pretty cheap device, but not.... Aggressively cheap. And it had a solid camera which took great pictures, but was just really slow.

LG needs to fix their loving bootloop problems. I'm gonna lol so hard if the pixel 2 boot loops.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Speaking of Pixels, someone refresh my memory, does Google provide all warranty support for Pixels? Like if it is bought from T-Mobile or something, I can still get Play Store support? I got burned on the Nexus 6p battery because I didn't get it from the Play Store.

I know, but on the other hand, the Nexus 4 was the best phone I ever owned until the Nexus 6p.

My brother didn't fare as well, he had the legendary G3 with GPU overheating, hosed SD card slot, and bootlooping!

TMobile doesn't sell the pixel. I'm guessing new one might be carried by other carriers though

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Thermopyle posted:

I know what they promise, they just aren't great at keeping their promises.

Since we're talking about BT headphones...these Anker ones are at their lowest price yet ($33). They look like they're probably pretty great for the price. AptX, 12.5 hour battery life, water resistant, those little wing things to help hold them in your ear.

I've been shopping for Bluetooth headphones with decent sound isolation in the last month, and have bought and returned about £600 worth since then.

I already had a pair of Plantronics backbeat fit sports headphones, which are amazing: comfortable, convenient, small, 8hour battery, great Bluetooth performance. The only downside is that they (by design) let in sound. Great for running but not good in the office.

Sony MDR-1000x over ears: noise cancelling, expensive, too hot, endemic headband cracking problems.
Plantronics backbeat Pro 2 (over ears): fine enough sound, amazing Bluetooth performance, not enough isolation.
Nuforce BE Sport 3: earbuds with wires. Arrived with a loose connection on one side. Earbuds were bulky / heavy, same problem with every pair of Bluetooth earbuds with any electronics / battery in the actual earpieces.
Shure se215 + BT cable: Don't fit my ears.

I finally settled on RHA MA650 wireless: 12 hour battery, decent Bluetooth (AAC/Aptx), nice aluminum neckbuds. £99.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I picked up a Moto E4...this thing is shockingly solid. Haven't taken pictures yet, but performance and battery seem great so far. Fingerprint sensor has been flawless. It's $40 from Walmart (or price matched at Target or wherever) for the Verizon prepaid version, and an unlock code is $2 on eBay and let's you use it on T-Mobile or AT&T. If anyone is still holding onto a Nexus 5 or bootlooping 5X or 6P and wants to wait for Pixel 2 availability or Pixel 1 price drops, this is a super cheap option to tide you over, and/or maybe make you rethink spending so much. (I'm still going to buy a Pixel 2 because I'm an idiot!)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm getting an "Invalid Card" message on my LG G3, and reseating the card/rebooting the phone doesn't fix it. I managed to somehow get it in a state where it accepted the card for a while just now after it originally died on me, but now it's loving up again. Doing some research, this seems to be a known issue with G3. Anyone have this problem on an LG G3 and know how to fix it?

Failing that, it's time to upgrade my phone anyway. Any suggestions for phones that AT&T carries? It's looking like either Samsung or Moto are my best options, since LG is apparently no good.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Sep 27, 2017

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pollyanna posted:

I'm getting an "Invalid Card" message on my LG G3, and reseating the card/rebooting the phone doesn't fix it. I managed to somehow get it in a state where it accepted the card for a while just now after it originally died on me, but now it's loving up again. Doing some research, this seems to be a known issue with G3. Anyone have this problem on an LG G3 and know how to fix it?

Failing that, it's time to upgrade my phone anyway. Any suggestions for phones that AT&T carries? It's looking like either Samsung or Moto are my best options, since LG is apparently no good.

Probably Google Pixel or the Moto G5+. Sereri explains the choice between the two best here:

Sereri posted:

The g5+ is a phone that is good enough, while the pixel is a phone that is good

Note that the Pixel 2 will likely launch next month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yak Shaves Dot Com
Jan 5, 2009
never mind

Yak Shaves Dot Com fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Sep 27, 2017