Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Ventana posted:

I was surprised by this too. I still think the actual death-sense power sounds dumb as hell, but in the context of the episode I think they sold it pretty well and made me curious about where it'll go (if it goes anywhere).

I don't think it's actually a power. The way he explained it it was more like him just saying he was getting the heeby jeebies. If it's a power it's just the same way a dog whines when a tornado is coming in a few hours.

I really liked Saru. I feel the show did an insufficient job explaining why everyone was an rear end in a top hat to him when everything he said was reasonable. Even in the opening bridge scene Burnham is basically calling him bad at his job for no reason and the whole crew laughs at him, when all he said was they needed more evidence or something innocuous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

The Bloop posted:

Point taken but neither are Klingons.

I remember TVGuide Pre-Voyager promotions saying that Tuvok was the first African-American Vulcan and it was like... no.......... Tim Russ may be the first African-American to play a Vulcan, but....
Yeah, that's fair, and people sure can get weird over the skin colors of aliens, I just wanted to point out that making a character albino isn't the same thing as coding them white.

I haven't seen the second episode yet so I can't really say anything else. Everything feels like Discovery is starting out from a darker baseline story-wise than the other Trek series and I hope it ends up being optimistic despite the dark stuff, not 'but what if we made everything really grim??' Like, dark stuff happens in every series but the baseline is supposed to be an optimistic future.

Also seems kind of weird for someone in a post-racial future to point out the main character being black as a reason why 'she should know better' than to discriminate based on race, especially when... she wasn't? Like she definitely has huge issues with Klingons but race and species and culture are all different things.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That was very weird, but maybe he meant the discrimination she suffered as a human among Vulcans?

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I don't think it's actually a power. The way he explained it it was more like him just saying he was getting the heeby jeebies. If it's a power it's just the same way a dog whines when a tornado is coming in a few hours.

I really liked Saru. I feel the show did an insufficient job explaining why everyone was an rear end in a top hat to him when everything he said was reasonable. Even in the opening bridge scene Burnham is basically calling him bad at his job for no reason and the whole crew laughs at him, when all he said was they needed more evidence or something innocuous.
Yeah I felt like the implication they were going for is 'he does the hyper-cautious thing a lot and people are tired of it' but it came off as mean more than anything, especially when it seems like he's willing to be more daring than he's personally comfortable with if he thinks it'll help. Cowardice and caution are different things.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Al Borland Corp. posted:

That was very weird, but maybe he meant the discrimination she suffered as a human among Vulcans?
Maybe! But I think as a writer it's probably important to consider how that crack is going to look when it's thrown out without context by a white character at a black character.

EDIT: Oh, maybe that's why her objection was 'no I'm discriminating based on culture', because race = species in this post-racial future.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

cheetah7071 posted:

Does the fact that Sisko has a sister come up again at all after the throwaway line in Homefront? You'd think she'd be mentioned in the season seven opening at least.

I was going to make up a dumb answer to this when I remembered there is an actual answer to this and it is dumber than anything I could make up.

The Sisko technically only has a half-sister

Thom12255 posted:

She's pretty flawed and sucky ain't she. Means we get character development in the show instead of everyone staying the same.

You don't have to start at the bottom rung, though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

PetraCore posted:

Yeah I felt like the implication they were going for is 'he does the hyper-cautious thing a lot and people are tired of it' but it came off as mean more than anything, especially when it seems like he's willing to be more daring than he's personally comfortable with if he thinks it'll help. Cowardice and caution are different things.

Maybe he'll end up being Reverse Worf. Every episode: "Captain, I recommend extreme timidness." "Negative, you sensible primitive. Charge weapons, full speed ahead!"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pakled posted:

Nope. I didn't recognize any actors from ENT or any reference to Archer or the NX-01.

Interesting thing about that--there's an interview floating around with one of the producers or something where he says when it comes to continuity, the biggest "SIMPSONS DID IT!" stuff always comes from Enterprise, not TOS or Bermanga Trek. Not surprisingly, every cool idea they have to explore the Secret Origins of Trek Trope X has already been covered by the other prequel series ("They could call it...a Reed Alert" :smug: ). He sounds a little passive aggressive pissed and it would not shock me if by the 5th ep or so we find out thet fired their Continuity Czars in the writer's room and go out if their way to decanonize Enterprise.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Maybe he'll end up being Reverse Worf. Every episode: "Captain, I recommend extreme timidness." "Negative, you sensible primitive. Charge weapons, full speed ahead!"
NGL people really severely underestimate prey, too. Like... even putting aside the whole 'does he not eat?' thing, a prey species survives by being very very good at something, usually.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I wouldn't say I liked the character, but he is definitely the standout performer of those in a shitton of prosthetics, and in fact of the whole cast. The dynamic between him and Burnham is weird and struck me as a bit inappropriate. Could be interesting down the line but it came off as workplace bullying rather than Spock-McCoy styled ribbing.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Looking it up from articles like this, apparently it's just a heightened senses thing to danger in general and not a psychic death sense power. So it basically looks like hyper heeby jeebies.

In retrospect maybe a bit more context about why they were laughing at him would've been better, yeah. I initially thought it was super awkward, and thought it made a bit more sense when the show seemed to categorize him as a worry wart, which I can identify with. But it could've been a bit clearer and a little...less mean?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Ventana posted:

Looking it up from articles like this, apparently it's just a heightened senses thing to danger in general and not a psychic death sense power. So it basically looks like hyper heeby jeebies.

In retrospect maybe a bit more context about why they were laughing at him would've been better, yeah. I initially thought it was super awkward, and thought it made a bit more sense when the show seemed to categorize him as a worry wart, which I can identify with. But it could've been a bit clearer and a little...less mean?
Heh, how unrealistic, to imagine a future where people don't haze a fellow worker for his ethnic background or innate talents!

- some guy on reddit, probably

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Dude's a Puppeteer, it's not complicated.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

Nessus posted:

Heh, how unrealistic, to imagine a future where people don't haze a fellow worker for his ethnic background or innate talents!

- some guy on reddit, probably

heh heh, dude comes from a planet where he can get eaten by the other species at any moment, what a coward, heh

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

mossyfisk posted:

Exactly what I was thinking. He was just saying that as a prey species, foremost (hindmost!) on their mind is the very real looming threat of death all around them.

"Sensing the coming of death" is just saying that their current course is dangerous as gently caress and therefore best avoided. He never remotely intimated it was some genetic superpower.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

mossyfisk posted:

Huh. I was also thinking of the Klingon ship using light reminding me of one of Niven's Man-Kzin Wars shorts.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I finally got around to watching the Orville, and I think I like it! It's not bad, at least not in the ways I expected. Plus, it's eerie how they're out TNG-ing TNG, tone for tone and beat for beat. The third episode, with the tribunal, was so TNG I grew dizzy and awoke in a cold sweat not knowing how much time had passed.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Huh. I was also thinking of the Klingon ship using light reminding me of one of Niven's Man-Kzin Wars shorts.

If this takes cues from Known Space then I'm suddenly 100% in.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Brawnfire posted:

I finally got around to watching the Orville, and I think I like it! It's not bad, at least not in the ways I expected. Plus, it's eerie how they're out TNG-ing TNG, tone for tone and beat for beat. The third episode, with the tribunal, was so TNG I grew dizzy and awoke in a cold sweat not knowing how much time had passed.

They've already done the Cowboy Episode (at least for a few minutes), the Trial Episode, and the Alien Zoo Episode. I figure Drunk Crew Episode and Nazi Planet Episode should be before midseason break at this rate!

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe
I am about to wrap up my first view of Star Trek Discovery and I gotta say even though it's a little hackneyed in a few spots due to scripting and "this is the take we want to deliver" choices, I am enjoying a lot of aspects about it. I haven't kept up with this thread or its discussion of star trek in over 14K posts but I just wanted to drop in and say that it's not bad. I was expecting a lot of red shirt jokes and stupid cheese, but hey the sets are well designed, the uniforms are good and refreshingly enough they're really pushing for a unique property instead of rehashing TNG plotlines.

Well that's my hot take. I hope it pans out as some quality TV despite the development pains.

Edit: Add me to the Saru fan club.

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 26, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Michael's kind of an odd name for a woman?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If this takes cues from Known Space then I'm suddenly 100% in.

Larry Niven wrote an episode of the animated series, and included the Kzinti. They're canonically in the Star Trek universe.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kzinti

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

They've already done the Cowboy Episode (at least for a few minutes), the Trial Episode, and the Alien Zoo Episode. I figure Drunk Crew Episode and Nazi Planet Episode should be before midseason break at this rate!

I hope there's a gangster planet. Maybe a gangster RAP planet. I also hope someone mentions a sex ghost candle during the course of the series.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Star Trek has never had a red shirt joke. Those all come from outside of the show, and aren't even all that accurate.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Michael's kind of an odd name for a woman?

So?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

It just feels like they did it just to draw attention to it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching The Masterpiece Society. Picard's log mentions a neutron star which I always thought were cool.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I wonder what THIS secret isolationist group of humans with obsolete technology's deal is.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Powered Descent posted:

Larry Niven wrote an episode of the animated series, and included the Kzinti. They're canonically in the Star Trek universe.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Kzinti

Oh. I know.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rhyno posted:

A-C posted:

Addison

100% male in 1880, 98% female in 2012

Jumped to 55% female in 1996

Alexis

100% male in 1882, 77% female in 2012

In 1942, Alexis leaped to 69% female from 42%

Allison

100% male in 1880, 100% female in 2012

From 1942-1948 it jumped from 52% to 80% female

Ashley

Crossed the line in 1965 to become 64% female

Aubrey

100% male in 1880, 98% female in 2012

In 1974, tipped to 52% female

Avery

100% male in 1880, 81% female in 2012

Became 52% female in 1999

Bailey

100% male in 1880, 97% female in 2012

Began its rise in 1980 when it was 64% female

Beverly

While Beverly started out in the US statistics as all boy, it quickly moved to the female side, becoming 55% girls by 1898.

Billie

100% male in 1880, 88% female in 2012

As early as 1890, this was 55% female

Blair

100% male in 1881, 83% female in 2012

Shift began in 1981 at 57% female

Brook

100% male in 1915, 87% female in 2012

In 1972, rose to 60% female, influenced by the more feminine Brooke

Cassidy

100% male in 1968, 96% female in 2012

In 1972, Cassidy became 59% female

Charley

100% male in 1880, 87% female in 2012

The balanced tipped in 1987 when Charley became 51% female

It is extremely rare for a name to go the other way and when it does, it's usually because it used to be a male name first.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I like how the black guy's grumpiness was foreshadowed by the way he hovered disapprovingly around his friend's teleconference with Picard

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh it's a weird eugenics society

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Star Trek has never had a red shirt joke. Those all come from outside of the show, and aren't even all that accurate.

JJ Trek had a red shirt joke.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Oh this is some real philosophical poo poo about talent and roles in society

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
The main Klingon guy spoke Klingon real weird. It's like the actor didn't watch anyone else do it.

Also, Michael is a crazy person. And then the captain turned out to be nuts too because she was like "I'mma do a suicide mission." And then they went in to capture that dude and Michael iced him anyway? Like she was mad about him killing the captain or what?

It was still pretty good though. They actually sentenced Michael, whereas I swear every other Trek I've seen has had episodes where they just shrug off mutiny. It looks from the previews like the Discovery is transporting her to prison and the captain is a bit unhinged himself, which is a cool way for her to get out of it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Now it's talking about the morality of allowing disabilities to exist, kind of like the latest episode of the Orville

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Now it's talking about the morality of allowing disabilities to exist, kind of like the latest episode of the Orville

That show charmed me way more than I expected. The humor isn't really that funny, but I find myself loving the spirit of trying to capture the feel of the Star Trek society so well.

I'm gonna keep watching it.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Chopin's prelude gently playing as preliminary tremors shake the planet and Troi and the Administrator guiltily kiss in front of the sunset might be one of the moodiest scenes ever in TNG

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Rhyno posted:

Main characters should have memorable names, and in 30 years when Michael is probably a unisex or feminine name it'll not be weird anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

"Fifty of our engineers need to transport down"
*Five engineers transport down*