Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Y'all make me scared to deadlift heavier.

Lift properly and don't go too heavy, what's to fear

I prefer to do slower controlled deadlifts with less weight because back problems suck and I'm not a pro bodybuilder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Question.

Do diet sodas actually suck? I remember hearing that the artificial sweeteners don't really help and that it still adds fat the the body. Do you guys know?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

How the hell does something that has no energy in it add fat?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

UnfurledSails posted:

How the hell does something that has no energy in it add fat?

idk that's why im asking

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

nooneofconsequence posted:

Y'all make me scared to deadlift heavier.

Just dont gently caress up.

Also hex bars save backs.

sketch_nimrod
Apr 1, 2010

Over There posted:

Question.

Do diet sodas actually suck? I remember hearing that the artificial sweeteners don't really help and that it still adds fat the the body. Do you guys know?

i heard they can mess with your insulin, dont know how true that is

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

I'm running kinda low on deadlifting music at the moment. Anyone have something really nasty that makes you lust for death by iron?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Also hex bars save backs.

Are those easier to lift? My friend does 3 plates on each side, and it makes me feel bad about myself, so I need a way to justify that.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Grump posted:

Are those easier to lift? My friend does 3 plates on each side, and it makes me feel bad about myself, so I need a way to justify that.

Someone posted a vid a few pages ago about how to properly do it, but yeah. It helps you keep form better - it's much easier to keep those shoulders back when you don't have to reach in front of you.

I usually do hex bar deads.
3ish? weeks ago i did not.

Do not be me.
(Also just don't go too heavy, especially on barbells deads. :rip: my back)

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

buddhanc posted:

I'm running kinda low on deadlifting music at the moment. Anyone have something really nasty that makes you lust for death by iron?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXnmGB0m360

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I tried to bench tonight but only made it to 90x3 before my dicky shoulder started moaning.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

I really got to invest in bluetooth earbuds. Playing music while deadlifting is impossible because I always think I'm gonna shatter my phone in my pocket when I come up with the bar.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Hex bar don't do that
:getin:

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Grump posted:

I really got to invest in bluetooth earbuds. Playing music while deadlifting is impossible because I always think I'm gonna shatter my phone in my pocket when I come up with the bar.

I can't imagine going to the gym without bluetooth buds.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I can't imagine needing to listen to specific music to work out.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Yeah Hemavol is feeling weaker than it used to. I picked up 8 bottles on sale for like 5 dollars a bottle but it's expired and a loving disgusting tangerine flavor. Anything for the pumps.

Also, to guy who needs lifting music, BOLT THROWER

Cobra Commander fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Sep 25, 2017

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Grump posted:

Just buy an armband, way cheaper. You'll want to take it off for some arm exercises.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Grump posted:

Lol if the bar comes past your knees when you deadlift

Or do you wear jncos to the gym?

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Dum Cumpster posted:

Or do you wear jncos to the gym?

Lol if your dick doesn't lay over the bar when you deadlift

It's the only reason i used a barbell for deadlifts sometimes

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Dum Cumpster posted:

???????????????

Eldred posted:

Just buy an armband, way cheaper. You'll want to take it off for some arm exercises.

Well then I'm just back to my original problem. I want to listen to music ALL the time.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

It's the only reason i used a barbell for deadlifts sometimes

DON'T try this your dick will end up flat and you'll have to wind it up like a fruit roll-up to keep it from dragging on the ground under your shorts.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Yeah, like I said

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.

Chief McHeath posted:

DON'T try this your dick will end up flat and you'll have to wind it up like a fruit roll-up to keep it from dragging on the ground under your shorts.

Over the bar, not mushed up against your crotch.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Eldred posted:

Eh you can get a serviceable pair for under 20 bucks. Totally worth it.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Bought a Bluetooth pair of headphones from AliExpress and they would randomly turn themselves on when conversations would happen at home when I wasn't using them. They'd also die after I was certain that they had a full charge. Maybe that battery life was conserved so that the Chinese government can listen in to me?

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
Just be inconsiderate like me and blast your music out of your phone. I hate feeling cords on me when I'm sweaty and I don't want to gently caress with blue tooth earphones.

Playing Make them Suffer while I deadlift also sends the message that no I don't want you to work in with me. Usually have the gym to myself when I go but still.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I've thought about bringing a portable speaker to the gym since a lot of times no one is in there at 2am.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Young janitor guy has been keeping the radio on an awesome oldies station lately so I haven't been blasting my death metal. Still get just as good of a workout listening to band on the run by wings :kiddo:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!
lol if you aren't basically blacked out and seeing red during your sets completely unable to hear anything

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I like it nice and quiet in my gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAAAbwEtZRo

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
i'm 29

i've never squatted with weight. . .

please help

I always hurt myself when lifting, no matter the exercise. i'm very ectomorphic and have a twinky body

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Go read any of the millions of workout books. I read bill starrs 5x5 like 12 years ago and it should be enough to get you started.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

E_P posted:

Go read any of the millions of workout books. I read bill starrs 5x5 like 12 years ago and it should be enough to get you started.

i've got Arnold's bodybuilding bible, his other book, i got all that

i still have muscle because I can workout but my form is something that needs correction

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Post a vid of you completely nude squating 70% of your max, side angle please.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

It sounds like you need to use your twink charm and seduce your gym's strongest bear into guiding you towards the path of muscle with his big burly arms.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

E_P posted:

Post a vid of you completely nude squating 70% of your max, side angle please.

i don't know my max

poo poo, i've never even squatted with just the bar

and i DONT go to the gym because i have my own gym! (its not a nice gym, and its in a dank basement)

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The students are back and now going to the gym is a hellish Dante-esque experience

Just in time for RP metabolic week 4!

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Undergrads don't exist before 0830. Just open the gym up, 's how i handle it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

Peace de Bundy posted:

i don't know my max

poo poo, i've never even squatted with just the bar

and i DONT go to the gym because i have my own gym! (its not a nice gym, and its in a dank basement)

learn through experience. The trick is to injure yourself as much as possible. That's how you learn

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Grump posted:

learn through experience. The trick is to injure yourself as much as possible. That's how you learn

been there before ! poo poo I'm so out of shape , doing 50 push-ups put a lot of strain on my shoulders and right pec . My right pec is very weak for some reason . it's gonna be awhile