Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I wish composure/how much fear you're experiencing had more of an impact when it came to break out of Jason's grab. I feel like that's kind of the intention, but unless Jason is trying to drag you over to an environmental kill then 99% of the time you are going to die as soon as one of the quick kill animations comes up. There is basically no point to being a "cool and level headed" character when your main gimmick is ruined by how fast Jace gets his kills unlocked.

Reason #5 that Jenny is the worst. Which is a shame, because I really want to like her, but Composure is essentially a binary. It infuriates me to have her go completely to pieces whenever the power goes out. Some stats need to be tweaked, as Composure is the closest thing in the game to being a dump stat in what little it does for you.

Anyway, onto other stuff!

https://twitter.com/weskeltner/status/912006682439553024

and

https://twitter.com/weskeltner/status/912010790831566849

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Oh boy I can't wait for my framerate to take a giant poo poo until the hotfix two weeks after the next update! :v:

e: Anyways, from what I understand, the difference between Stealth and Composure is that Stealth determines how easily Jason can see your blip outside of the Sense ability, and Composure is how quickly you gain fear which determines how easily Jason can see you with the Sense ability.

Composure is still pretty important for not getting picked off by a Jason who can see exactly where you are with Sense.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Sep 25, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they talked at length about how they were able to offload almost the work to the GPU - and the game is primarily a CPU bound game, so the framerate was basically not affected at all.

this isn't saying it won't happen, but they have at least thought this one through.

also yeah, composure is pretty important for other reasons simply because it gives you a bigger fear 'tank'. jenny and AJ can withstand poo poo-tons more stress than chad, who goes completely chad face with ~10 seconds near jason. it's a big deal because navigation is MUCH harder with max fear, as is pacing oneself since you can't see your stamina. i'm not going to say composure is the most important thing ever (stamina, speed, repair all beat it handily) but sticking your tongue out at it isn't terribly reasonable.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 25, 2017

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Oh boy I can't wait for my framerate to take a giant poo poo until the hotfix two weeks after the next update! :v:

e: Anyways, from what I understand, the difference between Stealth and Composure is that Stealth determines how easily Jason can see your blip outside of the Sense ability, and Composure is how quickly you gain fear which determines how easily Jason can see you with the Sense ability.

Composure is still pretty important for not getting picked off by a Jason who can see exactly where you are with Sense.

the problem is that fear level, not composure, determines how far away he can see your blip with sense. High composure takes longer to go up fear levels (they have a bigger pool of composure) but the "refill rate" of your fear level stays the same regardless of composure, so it also takes them longer to get less afraid. They should have done it like stealth and just capped certain fear levels, so Jenny would only ever barely show up and Tommy would never reach freak out stage, but that's now how they went with it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it'd be fine if fear recovered at a rate proportional to your max, the same as stamina does. that's really the overall issue.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
That single player mode sounds like exactly what I wanted it to be. :murder:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The game's only been out a few months, hopefully there'll be enough community feedback for them to tweak a few of the skills to make them work like they should.

I wonder how gamebreaking in-practice it would be to make Jason have to also mash the activate button to keep a counselor's escape chance under a certain threshold for a kill? Like show the meter on Jason's screen, and if it breaks the 75% point Jason can't do a kill, and a full 100% means they break free. Counselors with higher composure would make the escape meter fill faster, giving them a chance to escape, but Jason could still have a chance to stop them by mashing E to get the meter low enough for a kill.

e: The big problem I see with that is keyboard macros to spam E faster than humanly possible...

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

King Vidiot posted:

The game's only been out a few months, hopefully there'll be enough community feedback for them to tweak a few of the skills to make them work like they should.

I wonder how gamebreaking in-practice it would be to make Jason have to also mash the activate button to keep a counselor's escape chance under a certain threshold for a kill? Like show the meter on Jason's screen, and if it breaks the 75% point Jason can't do a kill, and a full 100% means they break free. Counselors with higher composure would make the escape meter fill faster, giving them a chance to escape, but Jason could still have a chance to stop them by mashing E to get the meter low enough for a kill.

e: The big problem I see with that is keyboard macros to spam E faster than humanly possible...

I think that a bigger problem is that that would provide even less incentive for grab kills. With the abundance of pocket knives there's already some incentive to just hack people to death. If besides that there was also the chance of not mashing E hard enough leading to an escape it would essentially reduce significantly the number of grab kills.

At the end of the day, the problems with the game, whatever they may be, are not that Jason is too overpowered. I think there may be some ways in which people have abused certain unintended mechanics (like 3 trapping the phone) that may require looking into (especially after the thick skin nerf), but otherwise I think that any nerfing or weakening of Jason's abilities would make the game worse. It's already very hard to kill people when two or three counselors know the game and stick together. The only thing I think could be interesting is if there was another way to kill Jason, even if it was just as difficult. Just in the sense that suddenly if there are only male counselors left, there's no chance of a kill anymore.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

The game might be a buggy garbage fire of a mess. But it's a fun and endearing garbage fire of a mess and I'm so happy to see the dev team continuing to support it and trying to fix it. I honestly didn't expect it to stay this relevant for as long as it has.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

joepinetree posted:

At the end of the day, the problems with the game, whatever they may be, are not that Jason is too overpowered. I think there may be some ways in which people have abused certain unintended mechanics (like 3 trapping the phone) that may require looking into (especially after the thick skin nerf), but otherwise I think that any nerfing or weakening of Jason's abilities would make the game worse. It's already very hard to kill people when two or three counselors know the game and stick together.

I agree and would go so far as to say that Jason is slightly... underpowered? I've seen soooooo many games where a group of four skilled counselors in a blue car with a few items are able to survive basically forever—worst-case scenario is: Jason kills one of them and the other three escape during the kill animation.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I'd say he's perfectly fine, as it is right now a really coordinated team against a competent Jason can get a 4-person car escape if they keep him scrambling after the phone house and/or 2-seater. Or like Polo said, if the full car of people all have evenly-spread pocket knives and health sprays, fireworks etc. But an average Jason game will usually be something like 4 to 6 people killed, which feels right. A really bad team of counselors might all get killed if none of them leave or killquit or suicide.

What usually happens during my average game is I effectively lock down the phone and 4-seater and the 2-seater or boat just gets away on principle. Rarely, people will use that lame glitch where you body block somebody so they can fix the battery or phone without setting off a trap, which is a huge headache and pisses me off every time. I remember one time on Higgins, the phone box happened to be right across the river from the 4-seater and I caught two people by the phone box repairing it without having set off my trap. I went over there to deal with it but between that and the organized group by the 4-seater they got the car repaired.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Polo-Rican posted:

I agree and would go so far as to say that Jason is slightly... underpowered? I've seen soooooo many games where a group of four skilled counselors in a blue car with a few items are able to survive basically forever—worst-case scenario is: Jason kills one of them and the other three escape during the kill animation.

if you have 4 coordinated dudes running around and you're doing kill animations at all something is wrong. cut those motherfuckers to pieces.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Coolguye posted:

if you have 4 coordinated dudes running around and you're doing kill animations at all something is wrong. cut those motherfuckers to pieces.

But... but they might taunt! They might call you a "slasher"! :ohdear:

VV My favorite thing to do is grab kill somebody from a group that's just a little too spread out. People usually always freak out because they thought they could reach me in two seconds.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 25, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Any more than two counselors in one spot and yea I'm gonna hack my way through them, grabbing is for suckers.

A lot of these groups have a problem with overconfidence too. They gather around you like their schoolyard bullies, but a few AOE slashes through the whole group will give them a rude awakening. Jason ain't no little kid anymore, he does not get bullied by anyone.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've grown allergic to slashing because the Goon Group all had thick skin that let them tank like, six hits each before being crippled.

Cannot wait to start a fresh slaughter with it toppled

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You're looking at like 3 hits before a cripple now, yeah. Fight goes out of most people real fast when they start shambling.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I like giving a couple whaps before grabbing in case they have a knife, killing by slashing is boring though

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

if there's half of a team around all trying to gangbang you then they've officially forfeited their privileges to a cool kill.

if there's someone who's running you around solo for a good long while that's a different story. definitely get them hobbling and then kill them cool.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
Virtual Cabin 2.0 trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEjGXCi3hM4

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
A surprising number of counselors will just stand there staring at me from the other side of a doorway just because they put a bear trap down. Then they act shocked when I just shift over it and grab them before they can get to a window.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.
A constant thing I see in some gripe posts (not here though) is this expectation that the win/loss condition is hella binary.

Jason doesn't win unless he kills everyone.

The counsellors lose if everyone doesn't survive.

The devs said clearly the game was concepted and built around an average game seeing a balance of survivors and victims. I quantify my win/loss experience based off what I achieved during my time alive/killing. As a counsellor, if you kill me after I ferried the phone fuse to the repair box, healed 2 counsellors and kited Jason away from a car in mid-repair, you better believe I am smiling like a smug rear end in a top hat as you punch my head off - because I won, rear end in a top hat.

As Jason, If the 4seater becomes a deathtrap, with the parts sitting next to it tauntingly - and 3 counsellors arguing over the boat seats while the phone remains unrepaired, you better believe Mom is proud of her special boy.

Killing everyone / everyone escaping is like, 'S' rank victory.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah the thing I love about the game is that it's non-competitive, the thing that the Average Multiplayer Gamer hates about the game is that it's non-competitive. It's pure co-op for the counselors, and you don't co-op to "win" you co-op because... you just do. And that's hard for the average misanthropic gamer rear end in a top hat to grasp. "What, I gotta work with people?" "What, raw numbers don't matter and it's all about the experience?" And there are a ton of Tryhards in the game who take playing as counselor really seriously and will trash-talk a Jason who so much as misses a single grab, they'll exploit and bypass traps, all in the name of "winning" a game you can't win in the traditional sense.

I'm fine with dicking around, I'm fine with roleplaying, I'm fine with a Jason going easy on a player at the start (or not), I'm fine with anything that adds flavor to the game. I'm not fine with Power Gamers who take this silly asymmetric co-op horror survival game seriously. There are a lot of cool players out there but... I guess the cost of a game getting big is that law of averages dictates that the playerbase will start accumulating total dickbags.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I really only start to get even the least bit annoyed when I lose 2+ counselors. One or even two escaping is almost more of a movie friendly ending than no survivors, which I don't think has ever happened in any of them iirc. I've definitely let sole survivors walk too if I feel like we had a fun back and forth and they had become "worthy".

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
Are the increased cooldowns for quitting mid game already in this patch?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That updated singleplayer concept thing sounds awesome and was pretty much what I was hoping it'd be.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Killing everyone / everyone escaping is like, 'S' rank victory.

I think having a "ranking" at the end actually would alleviate a lot of the minmaxing stuff that is a bit insufferable.

If Jason just chokes out/slashes everyone to death, even all 8+ tommy, he can only get a C rating. Do stylish kills and other stuff can net you A+ etc.. Same with the councellors, escaping without doing poo poo just gets you a lovely rating. If you get poo poo fixed, die and come back as Tommy and gently caress jason's poo poo up allowing people to escape then you get extra awesome ratings.

Would probably require a heap of tweaking but Id really like that.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Ranking would be dumb and bad for this game.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Stanley Pain posted:

It's kind of in the vein of what makes Dead By Daylight so hollow feeling.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Sometimes a couple of people survive. It's cool. Not like he always wipes everyone in the films.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

a cock shaped fruit posted:

It's kind of in the vein of what makes Dead By Daylight so hollow feeling.

At least I pipped :negative:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

Yeah, the XP bonuses are incentive enough. The problem is... the pacing of the unlockables. You get almost all of the Jasons in the first 20 levels, then Part 9 is like 11 levels after that. You get all the counselors in the first 20 levels and there's 8 of them. Beyond that, all XP gets you is more outfits for the counselors.

IMO you should get all the counselors and Jasons upfront and then unlockables should all be things like clothing, emotes, Jason skins and new buyable Jason kill animations. And spread them out to give you more of an incentive to level up. As it is, I'm level 32 and I don't really care about leveling anymore. CP is nice because I can roll for counselor perks but otherwise I don't care how well I do anymore beyond just the satisfaction of playing the game.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Coolguye posted:

If you're Jason and you're not giving each of your victims a unique and elaborate kill, you are playing the game very wrong.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

You're doing something more wrong if the teenagers start thinking they can crowd Jason and pummel him without repercussion :colbert:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

King Vidiot posted:

I don't care how well I do anymore beyond just the satisfaction of playing the game.

I try to stick to this when playing games, baring any inherently competitive type of games. Leads to less frustration and more fun.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

You're doing something more wrong if the teenagers start thinking they can crowd Jason and pummel him without repercussion :colbert:

Every organized group of Pro Counselors thinks they can do this until you start cutting them down and picking them off. Every Pro Buggzy thinks he can distract you until you ignore him, kill half his buddies then pop up again and take him out with a gruesome grab kill.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

SilverSupernova posted:

If you're Jason and you're not giving each of your victims a unique and elaborate kill, you are playing the game very wrong.

Every kill should be unique. Environmental, if possible.
Every kill should be Jason relatable. I.e. Part 2 Jason shouldn't punch hearts out.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.

Stanley Pain posted:

But on the other hand it would actually be good and improve the game. Tough choices!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Nutsngum posted:

But on the other hand it would actually be good and improve the game. Tough choices!

nope

Jetamo
Nov 8, 2012

alright.

alright, mate.
Only if it treated every match/Jason like a Friday the 13th film being reviewed at the box office. And is mostly there for flavour/randomly generated film names/critic quotes.

Friday the 13th: Part 17 - The Finaler Chapter

Featuring Dickdagger as Jason
BJohnson69 as Chad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The only "ranks" I'd accept would be like those useless Goldeneye awards you'd get at the end of a match in multiplayer. It could be stuff like the "Where's the Car?!" award for escaping from a time over after both vehicles have escaped, or a "Pinch Hitter" award for hitting Jason the most times. "The Chaddest Chad" award for playing as Chad and being the only person to escape.

• Locked thread