Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Weed delivery guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

precision posted:

not that i'm complaining but why is Ys Origin in French? :confused:

French is strange and exotic sounding to Japanese people I guess.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

precision posted:

Ys 8 which just came out also has a french language option. I guess the franchise has a big fanbase there?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

codenameFANGIO posted:

Actually I believe the game is called "Danganronpa"

i reserve the right to try and fail to be clever

cmon you gotta admit PAGAN RAND NO is really fitting for the themes of the game tho

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Macarius Wrench posted:

Weed delivery guy?

in places where weed is legal (or if your dealer is just a nice person) they bring weed to you

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Ruiner is loving awesome, I can see myself dumping a lot of time into that game. The aesthetic is fantastic, the music kicks rear end, there's a lot of mood to it, and I really like all the characters so far and the feedback loop is pretty rewarding.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Taintrunner posted:

Ruiner is loving awesome, I can see myself dumping a lot of time into that game. The aesthetic is fantastic, the music kicks rear end, there's a lot of mood to it, and I really like all the characters so far and the feedback loop is pretty rewarding.

im glad it's good. The IGN review for it was a typical "this is TOO HARD" take on it but everything else I've read seems to be much more positive. I've heard it described as more a bullet hell game than isometric combat which is cool with me. I feel like I've waited for this game for EVER.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Macarius Wrench posted:

Weed delivery guy?

Nyc is cool

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

DLC Inc posted:

im glad it's good. The IGN review for it was a typical "this is TOO HARD" take on it but everything else I've read seems to be much more positive. I've heard it described as more a bullet hell game than isometric combat which is cool with me. I feel like I've waited for this game for EVER.

The reviews I've seen so far have seemed pretty mixed, most complaining it's far too short and while the game let's you do some cool stuff, it doesn't give your enough opportunites to do said cool stuff.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

they are making a brand new puzzle fighter, though

oh...

oh god, no...

not like this...

not like this

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Who's the tracksuit guy?

also it's "Gungan Rampage", get it right

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Dangit Ronpaul, still the original, still the superior name

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

haveblue posted:

Who's the tracksuit guy?

The dude from Dead Rising 2 I think

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
yeah it's chuck greene, famous dead rising dad who's just kind of boring and not as fun as og frank west and also his version of the game makes you take zombrex back to the safe house every fifteen minutes

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Denedict Rumberbatch

al-azad
May 28, 2009

precision posted:

I think Canada mandates games to be dual language so English/French basically covers the majority of your audience.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
After playing a few hours years ago and bouncing off, something about NEO Scavenger brought me back to it over the weekend. I still had a few runs where I ended up freezing to death or dying from hunger, but I read some beginner guides and I am having way more fun with it. I had a nice run with a character that was aimless and ended with him winning a fight but unable to deal with the resulting internal bleeding and sepsis. Now I'm on a guy who I thought was definitely a goner out of the gate due to my inability to find even a plastic bag to carry stuff with, but then I wound up starting a legit mission and finding three important areas and one unsettling encounter. The major issues I have with it are that survival is pretty dependent on luck but that's easing off a bit with experience, and using the wiki is almost required. For example, I (the player) know that my character needs a foil suit to pass one challenge, but I had no way of knowing what I needed to make the suit. And now that I've looked it up, I passed by so many bags of potato chips that I don't know if it's worth my time to try and re-search old areas or press on into the unknown.

I downloaded the free demo for my phone so I could get my fix while at work, but it doesn't have all the items or areas the full version does so I was stuck scratching my head as to why I couldn't make a spear or a shiv. And I'll be damned if I'll pay $10 for an iOS version of a game I paid $3.50 for a version with hotkeys.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DLC Inc posted:

There's an easy mode and the abilities are really cool. I'm dashing around with a katana and shot gunning creeps in a parking garage, it's a Good Game

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Still find of Dragon Grandpa

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

al-azad posted:

I think Canada mandates games to be dual language so English/French basically covers the majority of your audience.

Nah all we do is make you have french on the packaging. Europe is the one that has the EFIGS requirement on most things.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zaggitz posted:

Nah all we do is make you have french on the packaging. Europe is the one that has the EFIGS requirement on most things.

Is that recent? I could have also sworn that East Canada required a French option because gently caress East Canada

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

yeah it's chuck greene, famous dead rising dad who's just kind of boring and not as fun as og frank west and also his version of the game makes you take zombrex back to the safe house every fifteen minutes

I think you're misremembering how often you need to Zombrex, it's a super-lenient extra-long timer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Yeah Zombrex is a super lenient gameplay mechanic and if you really don't want to deal with it you can just look up the locations and have more than you'll ever need within 30 minutes.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Can't wait to get home and play the gently caress out of Ruiner

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember cranking up the time scale for Dead Rising 2 way, way up and it was a lot of fun just running around smashing poo poo and doing everything in one run.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

in dr2 you could mod the fireworks machine gun to fire any object you wanted so that was neat. but i think dr1 is just 100x more solid and better presented

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So far this year there have been around 60 games that have 85 or over on Metacritic.

A mostly pointless stat but it helps put into perspective how absurd this year has been.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

I played through Dead Rising at launch and never really understood why people kept remembering Frank West as a fun character at all. He was pretty much a blank slate generic video game guy, but with photography.

Now Chuck Greene though, he was loving hilarious. The most insane poo poo keeps happening and he just always keeps a completely straight face and glares at things from under his angry eyebrows. Off the Record can go to hell :argh: (although they did make Frank into the character everyone misremembered him as finally)

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I kind of want this but I have had terrible luck with Kickstarters (Mighty no. 9, Shenmue 3 which will come out god knows when) and tend to miss out on the good ones (Darkest Dungeon)

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/resident-eviltm-2-the-board-game/description

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

smuh posted:

I played through Dead Rising at launch and never really understood why people kept remembering Frank West as a fun character at all. He was pretty much a blank slate generic video game guy, but with photography.

Now Chuck Greene though, he was loving hilarious. The most insane poo poo keeps happening and he just always keeps a completely straight face and glares at things from under his angry eyebrows. Off the Record can go to hell :argh: (although they did make Frank into the character everyone misremembered him as finally)

I played DR for the first time recently and it has a lot of old capcom charm that came through in Frank West. Like trying to be a generic cool guy but coming off way goofier than intended. Reminded me of RE4 in that way. That whole vibe is very fun to me, the actual gameplay though seems to have aged badly and I couldn't really get into it.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

precision posted:

Is that recent? I could have also sworn that East Canada required a French option because gently caress East Canada

No

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

I played DR for the first time recently and it has a lot of old capcom charm that came through in Frank West. Like trying to be a generic cool guy but coming off way goofier than intended. Reminded me of RE4 in that way. That whole vibe is very fun to me, the actual gameplay though seems to have aged badly and I couldn't really get into it.
Oh yeah, it's true that he kept trying to be cool but the game never really let any other characters acknowledge how dumb he looked and sounded during those moments. It just didn't feel self-aware enough to me! But I'm still of course fine with other people liking that kind of thing, just the weird perspective of "Oh man remember what a fun loving goofball Frank West was in the original game??" is bullshit! Might be that him being a constant dumbass became such a big meme at the time that everyone kind of just forgot the reality I dunno

It IS generally a funny game though. Outside of the main story missions where there are nothing but terrible attempts at some kind of drama.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the reason frank west was fun is that he wasn't a fun loving goofball, he was kind of self-serious and dopey. dr4 turns him into a goofball and it sucks.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the lack of self-awareness is why it ruled though. dead rising 1 is like a cheesy b-movie, it's really goofy and dumb but the fact that it's so earnest about it is funnier than how the later games constantly try to be self-aware about it. dr1's psychos are the best in the series because they're not written from the outset to be literal cartoon characters

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I like that Frank West is constipated for the entirety of Dead Rising

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

littleorv posted:

I like that Frank West is constipated for the entirety of Dead Rising

i like that the reason he walks so weird is that he hurt his leg leaping out of the helicopter but the game literally never tells you this

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

adam the clown's delivery of "everyone died" is better than anything in the sequels

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx4ZOn5GViE

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

adam the clown is better than anything in the sequels

especially with how weirdly racist and homophobic and poo poo 3 & 4 got

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
anyway frank west is weird in dr4 cause off the record definitely makes him a bit more of a goofball but it's like, in a way that kind of fits, while in dr4 he's just a weird dickhead

• Locked thread