Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Ramadu posted:

I'm glad other people wondered what the gently caress rammed the ship out of nowhere.

Maybe they coulda pulled back to show whatever it was because I still don't have a clue

They did. And T'Kuvma directly mentioned what was about to happen in the line immediately preceding that setpiece.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Actually I'm going to say there's one great scene in the second episode. The helmsman's injured on the bridge, gets concussed, and wanders in to the brig instead of sickbay. He's clearly confused, but he says "we're explorers....we're not soldiers?!" and then the brig is promptly vented and he flys out in to space dead.

That scene's a message to all you pussy Trek fans who think this show should be about exploring new worlds or encountering new whatevers. Trek is military fiction now. Eat it, grandpa.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Drone posted:

They did. And T'Kuvma directly mentioned what was about to happen in the line immediately preceding that setpiece.

he said he had a cloaked ship but i have no idea what it looked like at all, hence my point of "not knowing what the gently caress rammed them"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Rhyno is king of bad takes, but the point is moot because Bryan Fuller usually gives his female leads names or nicknames that are traditionally male.

Chuck on Pushing Daisies
George on Dead Like Me
Jaye on Wonderfalls
Michael on Discovery

I'm more of a prince and I haven't watched any of those shows!

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ramadu posted:

he said he had a cloaked ship but i have no idea what it looked like at all, hence my point of "not knowing what the gently caress rammed them"

It looked like this:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I took "I accept your ceasefire" followed by ramming as being true to their word. They didn't fire!

Should have said "Ceasefire, also no ramming. Also no beaming over with swords."

"We can punch though, and kick?"

"No."

"I agree to your terms." *Headbutts Captain*

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

thexerox123 posted:

It looked like this:

Yeah but I cannot figure out what the gently caress that is! Where does it end? Where does it begin? How big is it? It's the same loving color as everything else's but the ship. It just felt bizarre that we didn't get a top down shot showing the space log or whatever it was to give any sense of scale.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I figured the admiral's ship was supposed to be a Miranda class. It looks pretty similar.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
So basically from I understand, Michael and the captain are pretty much villains and may or may not be Section 31 and Discovery is basically the polar opposite of what Star Trek is. So... it's kind of like that Star Trek Renegades fanfilm.

*sigh*

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Gammatron 64 posted:

So basically from I understand, Michael and the captain are pretty much villains and may or may not be Section 31 and Discovery is basically the polar opposite of what Star Trek is. So... it's kind of like that Star Trek Renegades fanfilm.

*sigh*

I'll believe this if and when I see it. Need not attribute to malevolence what incompetence can do just fine.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There's nothing to suggest that Michael will be a villain.

Like WTF.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

skasion posted:

I'll believe this if and when I see it. Need not attribute to malevolence what incompetence can do just fine.

Yeah. I think I'll just pony up the $5, watch it tonight then cancel so I can actually know what I'm talking about.

The show is definitely divisive and the fanbase seems to be pretty split down the middle on it. After reading peoples' comments, my expectations are pretty low so maybe I might be pleasantly surprised, I dunno.

Echo Chamber posted:

Like WTF.

Yeah that wasn't worded right. Some people were suggesting that the captain is a villain and that Michael is just really lovely and unlikable. Again, I haven't actually seen it yet so I have no idea how true this is, I'm just going off what others have said.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Drone posted:

Also wasn't the actual origin of the name explained in DS9 as Section 31 of the Starfleet charter?

Or was that just in non-canon material?

Yes, although like everything about the organization that could be made up by a handful of like minded agents.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, although like everything about the organization that could be made up by a handful of like minded agents.

I figured it was like the Men in Black claiming they were "Division 6"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

How did Surak and the klingons see the beacon if they were presumably lightyears away?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Shibawanko posted:

How did Surak and the klingons see the beacon if they were presumably lightyears away?

They warped there pretty fast. Subspace hyperspace telegrams are faster than warp, presumably.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shibawanko posted:

Saavik said he heard about it rather than saw it.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Saavik said he heard about it rather than saw it.

Why didn't Sybok just come there to say hello to the Klingots himself?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I'm starting to like this show already.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

Show has the same sense of spacial distance as JJ Trek.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Show has the same sense of spacial distance as JJ Trek.

Anyone think the Lateral Transporters is a reference to the long distance nonsense in that movie?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 5, episode 25 "The Soulless Minions of Orthodoxy"

Well, that's what I remember anyway. I guess it's called "In the Cards" but this is a much better title. Weyoun is such a great character, and of course he would buy into this crazy guy's immortality project. Great light episode to set up the finale.

Episode 26 "Call to Arms"

This is what the whole season has been building toward, and what a payoff. The cloaked self-replicating mine field is such a perfect Starfleet B.S. magic tech solution, and Weyoun's flabbergasted "Impossible!" at DS9's shields holding up is a great moment in the "Humans: gently caress yeah!" file, only topped later, as I recall, by "Well... time to start packing!"

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Why was the Enterprise-B the only ship in range in the solar system?

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Bloop posted:

Anyone think the Lateral Transporters is a reference to the long distance nonsense in that movie?

I think it's a reference to the transporter pad being in the wall and scanning people laterally instead of the usual vertical pads other ships have in the floor.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Echo Chamber posted:

Like WTF.

Well she sure as poo poo isn't a hero. There've been Trek episodes and movies in which characters act exactly the way she does and they're bad, bad dudes.

She doesn't so much need a redemption arc as a total character 180. If the series wants to go down the path of her being a genuinely bad person I'm ok with that though.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I completely agree that Section 31 is a blight on Star Trek, even if they are presented as villains. The fact that they were brought up in Enterprise basically implies that they have been a necessary and effective organization for centuries. It completely undermines the idea that the Federation can succeed by staying true to its principles.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Bucswabe posted:

The fact that they were brought up in Enterprise basically implies that they have been a necessary and effective organization for centuries.

Not really. They have no oversight, they may well cause as many problems as they prevent. It just means that the organization is good at self-continuation.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

thexerox123 posted:

It looked like this:

Is it just me or does that look like the Discovery 1 from 2001: A Space Odyssey?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Grand Fromage posted:

I figured the admiral's ship was supposed to be a Miranda class. It looks pretty similar.

I agree. And if you want to play with numerology, the Europa's registry number (NCC-1648) is a rearrangement of the Reliant (NCC-1864). We've seen that sort of thing before, way back in TOS, between Enterprise and Constellation, 1701 vs 1017.

Does it mean anything? Nah. I just thought it was neat.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

That ship is clearly a proto-Miranda. There was also a ship in the fleet that looked like a proto-Constellation class.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I love Star Trek, and I didn't like Discovery. It feels like the Next Generation movies except really amazing looking. And the sheer amount of Klingon subtitles was annoying.
Though to be honest, I was just bored most of the time. I need to care about the situation and the characters before I can care that everything got blown up.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Star Trek has never had a red shirt joke. Those all come from outside of the show, and aren't even all that accurate.

Red shirt jokes aren't accurate? Red shirts have been killed by being struck by lightning, shot to death by a flower, and one was killed when the rock he stepped on exploded.

And that was all in the SAME EPISODE.

If anything, red shirt jokes are subtle and understated.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

From the excellent Ex Astris Scientia post on the subject:

quote:

56 crew members can be confirmed to have died on the original Enterprise's five-year mission (or, to be precise, during the about three years shown in TOS). This gives us 0.7 casualties per episode, or roughly one casualty every three weeks. 26 of those 55 killed men or women were wearing a red shirt or an equivalent red engineering/security uniform. Considering that the shirt color of 15 deceased crew members remains unknown (because they were killed off screen or were not wearing a standard uniform), redshirts easily make up more than 50% of all casualties. The myth that redshirts are more likely killed than other colors can be confirmed. Some of the redshirts were engineers but most performed the duty of a security officer, which may be rated as intrinsically more dangerous and more likely lethal.

Looking at the subtotals we can notice that in season 1 only 4 crew members with red shirts were killed, 4 wearing blue shirts and as many as 7 with yellow shirts. Considering that a couple of the two latter groups effectively acted as security officers, especially in "The Man Trap", it is possible that the red color for this department was not yet set in stone at the time. Season 2 had by far the most redshirt deaths of the series, 16 altogether. 12 of those 16 were killed in just three episodes, "The Changeling", "The Apple" and "Obsession".

Only 4 women were killed under Kirk's command, as opposed to 39 men. This is significantly less than the ratio of female to male Enterprise crew members. Considering that in the 1960s women were obviously not deemed fit for a position in the security department with its high casualty rate, the low number of female deaths appears plausible though.

The clearly most common cause of death among Kirk's crew was an attack or sabotage by aliens (38 casualties). 12 crew members died in accidents, but if we take into account that as many as 9 perished when the ship crossed the Galactic Barrier in "Where No Man Has Gone Before", accidents were otherwise not that common at all. 6 of the crew died of diseases. Regarding the places in which crew members were killed, the Enterprise proved to be just as unsafe (29 casualties) as the surface of an unexplored planet (27).

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
In "water is wet" news, Star Trek Discovery is getting pirated a lot.

Combine the fact that nobody wants the CBS streaming service with Star Trek fans being the people most likely to be tech-savvy enough to easily pirate anything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Drone posted:

There's not a single mention of Enterprise or a hint to it whatsoever besides except referencing the forming races of the Federation.

When Tactical is listing off ships arriving, there's a USS Shran in the list.

Pieces of Peace
Jul 8, 2006
Hazardous in small doses.
The spoken Klingon was so stilted and emotionless, it really cemented my angry old man "not my Klingons!" reaction that the redesign sparked. (Ironically, I watched DIS with my dad, who did not particularly care).

I don't remember if it was any official material or just this thread speculating that suggested the redesign was just this one house/cult of Klingon weirdos, but I was really disappointed when the "Giant Nostril, Hairless, Evil Persians from 300" design showed up on every single representative of the 24 houses, not a devious Mongolian expy or glorious hair metal Gowron to be seen.

The complete lack of character from T'Kuvma, the albino, the heads of houses, except for "I am vaguely intellectually disgusted and might be considering getting emotional in the next few hours" was so starkly opposed to all the passionate, honorable or scheming or just joie de vivre TOS/TNG/DS9 Klingons that it didn't make them feel like people, just prosthetic-covered plot devices.

And god, their Klingonese was just so slow! Did anyone even speak in a different cadence at any point? It seemed like a constant of about one word per sentence. As much as the previously posted issues with Michael's morality were an issue, it's the other half that is just not doing it for me. It would be one thing if they'd "reinvented" the Klingons as someone interesting, I'd still be bitching but at least I'd have some praise. But this was just reducing them to a personality-free, uninteresting The Other, The Enemy. Fine if your point is to explore them more and hammer in the "everyone has their own complexities no matter how weird and simple a culture appears from the outside", but it seemed like they were trying to throw out hooks about Klingon religion, politics, and traditions, they just fell flat.

And for all that they were speaking slowly, the actual content just zipped by. It's a little ridiculous as a complaint compared to slow garbage like Farpoint that didn't deserve to be two hours, but I thought they went too far in the other direction; to me it really didn't feel like the DIS premiere had enough exposition, examination, or discussion of any of the concepts they brought up, passed up in favor of effects scenes and DRAMATIC. EMOTIONAL. DECLARATIONS. There was no decompression, no analysis, and while we've advanced as storytellers and audiences past a lot of the hand-holding, really getting into the meaning of a debate "feels like Trek" to me. The dutch angle crap doesn't help, you need a nice unintense discussion scene to break up the action!

Exception: the bit with Michael talking the ship computer through the ethical logic of releasing her from the brig was good and exactly the kind of Star Trek problem solving I was hoping for. Silver lining, I guess.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Thom12255 posted:

Why was the Enterprise-B the only ship in range in the solar system?

Because all the other ships were busy patrolling the same edge of Federation space as the Shenzhou.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Pieces of Peace posted:

Exception: the bit with Michael talking the ship computer through the ethical logic of releasing her from the brig was good and exactly the kind of Star Trek problem solving I was hoping for. Silver lining, I guess.

Agreed. People are bitching about it in the other thread, but I haven't caught up in that thread yet to call them idiots. That was a super federationy move. Still feels more like post TNG than contemporary with Pike, but that's ill-conceived prequels for you.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Lot of black bars ITT. I mean, I appreciate it, and I'm sure this thread is a lot slower moving than the other one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Pieces of Peace posted:

And god, their Klingonese was just so slow! Did anyone even speak in a different cadence at any point?

The woman Klingon spoke better, and it seems like she is in the next few episodes based on the preview.