Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.
It's a back spasm! :toot:
Let's have a nice bris for it.

Just glad it's not anything worse. Got some muscle relaxers, gonna have to take it easy for a while.
I live to lift another day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now
I had a good deadlift/leg night. I dropped 7 pounds and some significant strength after a couple nagging injuries and generally being a dumb rear end.. But I have since rededicated myself to the way of the muscle, and eagerly await chest night after work.

My bench and OHP have not suffered much from the time off, but I can't wait to deadlift 3 plates again.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Does a "plate" universally refer to a 45 or what?

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

Data Graham posted:

Does a "plate" universally refer to a 45 or what?

Usually.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

In the uk for some reason our plates go up to 25kgs (55lbs). I don't know why.

Peace de Bundy posted:

i'm 29

i've never squatted with weight. . .

please help

I always hurt myself when lifting, no matter the exercise. i'm very ectomorphic and have a twinky body

im poo poo at lifting and dont know anything

saying that, goblet squats are a good starting exercise for learning to squat swole people have told me

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

hemale in pain posted:

Yeah and in the US competition environment they use 25kg plates also.

US commercial chain gyms usually roll with lbs and 45lb plates.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Peace de Bundy posted:

i'm 29

please help

I always hurt myself when lifting, no matter the exercise. i'm very ectomorphic and have a twinky body

go to youtube and do whatever fitness person you find the most attractive tells you to do.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009
Got pretty sick with strep/bronchitis concurrently and ended up dropping 10 lb and having to take nearly 3 weeks off. Went in and did my sets at the weight I previously did...I still have DOMS in my quads from squatting - everything else was fine. But goddamn, that was on Friday. I'm usually good after 1 day of rest. Rest of my body healed up like normal. Lesson learned, I guess.

Calvin Johnson Jr.
Dec 8, 2009

Peace de Bundy posted:

i'm 29

please help

Skip all this time consuming poo poo and go listen to Dorian Yates instruct you on form. Don't ego-lift and work at a weight that gives you perfect form.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwCbMGjYlME

skip to 0:40

This is for back but he covers form on lat pulldowns and deadlifts really well. He really understands human anatomy and how to get the most out of each motion - I like his approach to lifting a million times more than any youtube gym retard.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

hemale in pain posted:

My gym has three or four pairs of these gathering dust on one of the stacks while everyone fights over the fake 20s (15s).

From a distance I'm pulling 5 plates.

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
Donating double red right now.
I feel the gains being sucked out. Gonna give some gains to sick kids.

Get swole, sick kids. :getin:

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

This is pretty awesome, I can usually only find dudes lifting on YouTube that want to hock their poo poo supplements

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Yates was on Joe Rogan's podcast and he was great, even talked about his steroid regimen. He was like a bodybuilding monk

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

Donating double red right now.
I feel the gains being sucked out. Gonna give some gains to sick kids.

Get swole, sick kids. :getin:

They let you give blood on a salami diet? PC gone mad.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

Skip all this time consuming poo poo and go listen to Dorian Yates instruct you on form. Don't ego-lift and work at a weight that gives you perfect form.

This is for back but he covers form on lat pulldowns and deadlifts really well. He really understands human anatomy and how to get the most out of each motion - I like his approach to lifting a million times more than any youtube gym retard.

hey guys we're shooting video with legendary bodybuilder dorian yates today

nah we're not gonna mic him, no need brah, we'll just capture his voice's low echo as it bounces off of the gym walls

and yeah, put in some hip hop with lyrics over it to help mask his words, that's the good stuff

stabilization? lol we're handholding this, going raw bitches ha ha

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

wish my gym had a pullover machine

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Good session tonight. Walked in, all the platforms were taken, the powerlifting gang had their bags all over the place, and two new machines that no one will use have been installed in the only open floor space in the gym.

How many sets left everyone? 5 was the lowest answer. Walked out and drove home.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
I've done that before. Went back later

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

[quote="“dakana”" post="“476787197”"]
hey guys we’re shooting video with legendary bodybuilder dorian yates today

nah we’re not gonna mic him, no need brah, we’ll just capture his voice’s low echo as it bounces off of the gym walls

and yeah, put in some hip hop with lyrics over it to help mask his words, that’s the good stuff

stabilization? lol we’re handholding this, going raw bitches ha ha
[/quote]

He has perfect form too, but you don't need to see that

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof

sassassin posted:

Good session tonight. Walked in, all the platforms were taken, the powerlifting gang had their bags all over the place, and two new machines that no one will use have been installed in the only open floor space in the gym.

How many sets left everyone? 5 was the lowest answer. Walked out and drove home.

Adapt

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I have dropped my calorie intake further as my scale stopped moving for like a month and my new workout block is high volume poo poo like 4x15 front squats and deadlifts. I might die, but at least my corpse will have killer abs

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I just can't get front squats to work for me. Goblet squats are great, but I can't get the bar situated correctly. I'm not a twink but I don't have a ton of chest/shoulder meat for it to rest against comfortably, I'll keep trying though.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

UnfurledSails posted:

I have dropped my calorie intake further as my scale stopped moving for like a month and my new workout block is high volume poo poo like 4x15 front squats and deadlifts. I might die, but at least my corpse will have killer abs

how big of a deficit are you running on?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

nooneofconsequence posted:

how big of a deficit are you running on?

Hopefully around 1000 calorie deficit, eating at around 1500 calories. I was eating at around 1800 calories, but last month had minimal progress. If start losing more than 2 pounds a week I'll ramp it back up, since, you know, I want to function

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
as long as time flows.
1500 was doable for a bit over a month for me, 5'8 and was 150something but slimmed way down for abs. Lost some muscle in the arms and chest for it.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

"Can I work in?"

Yes it sucks. But most guys (at my gym at least) understand that poo poo is busy and that you gotta get your poo poo done too. Even if your poo poo happens to be hundreds of pounds less than their poo poo.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
my brother was squatting and had 225 on the bar and I was wondering how heavy it would feel since I haven't really squatted much over 150-160 since easing back into it post knee injury. So I put it on my shoulders. Then I figured I might as well try to squat it and squat it I did. I know it's just a 2 plate squat but I'm really happy. For a long time I thought my knee wasn't going to ever let me seriously squat again. I should have warmed up first before I did that though. Knee feels good anyway.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Your knee is just playing the long con and will implode on you tomorrow when you bend over to pick up a piece of paper or some poo poo.

But seriously, congrats on not dieing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Paper Diamonds posted:

"Can I work in?"

Yes it sucks. But most guys (at my gym at least) understand that poo poo is busy and that you gotta get your poo poo done too. Even if your poo poo happens to be hundreds of pounds less than their poo poo.

Normally the "how many sets you got?" question pressures someone into saying they're almost done. I was stunned that my passive aggressive bullying tactics failed.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

I had the entire gym to myself tonight, literally no one else showed up in the hour and a half I was there :cool:

I farted, grunted, enjoyed the oldies playing on the radio, and had fun conversation with the young Christian janitor guy who is low key trying to convert me from Buddhism by inviting me to church stuff. Paintball sounds fun but I'm not sure if it would still be once Jesus is involved. That loving Jesus guy!

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

This morning I pressed 87.5 kg easily, then did a slightly pushy second rep, had a rest, and managed a third grindy, pushed rep.

On track for a bodyweight press by Xmas. :getin:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When I started this bulk phase 2 months ago I weighed 165 and could press 145

Now I can press 169 but I weigh 189

At this rate, uh

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Constipated posted:

had fun conversation with the young Christian janitor guy who is low key trying to convert me from Buddhism by inviting me to church stuff. Paintball sounds fun but I'm not sure if it would still be once Jesus is involved. That loving Jesus guy!
Or he's trying to put it in your butt

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Now I can press 169

nice

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I personally add 5 sets to whatever the real number is so passive aggressive people look defeated

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Constipated posted:

I had the entire gym to myself tonight, literally no one else showed up in the hour and a half I was there :cool:

I farted, grunted, enjoyed the oldies playing on the radio, and had fun conversation with the young Christian janitor guy who is low key trying to convert me from Buddhism by inviting me to church stuff. Paintball sounds fun but I'm not sure if it would still be once Jesus is involved. That loving Jesus guy!

The best paintballing trips I've been on were with christian union groups. People who have to forgive you for shooting them in the neck are more fun than the nerds who bring their own equipment.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Time posted:

I personally add 5 sets to whatever the real number is so passive aggressive people look defeated

Do you end up doing the extra five sets or are you a liar and a coward?

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
[quote="“sassassin”" post="“476814870”"]
Do you end up doing the extra five sets or are you a liar and a coward?
[/quote]

Definitely just a liar

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Data Graham posted:

When I started this bulk phase 2 months ago I weighed 165 and could press 145

Now I can press 169 but I weigh 189

At this rate, uh

So I'm just starting out weight lifting and I've been reading that the average person can only put on about 2 lbs of muscle a month. Can anyone explain to me the actual utility of putting on 20 lbs of fat in two months like this guy seems to be doing? Surely you don't need to gain that much extra fat just to gain about 4 lbs of muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Cnut the Great posted:

So I'm just starting out weight lifting and I've been reading that the average person can only put on about 2 lbs of muscle a month. Can anyone explain to me the actual utility of putting on 20 lbs of fat in two months like this guy seems to be doing? Surely you don't need to gain that much extra fat just to gain about 4 lbs of muscle.

The utility is that you are pretty sure you are not missing out on any muscle gains from your workouts, so you get 2 lbs/month or whatever your genetic potential is, and the rest is fat. If you are lean bulking you are not gaining as much fat, but maybe some of that muscle gain potential is going to waste as well.

Think of it as paying for muscle with fat gain. As you earn more muscle the price of muscle increases, so you have to gain more fat per pound of muscle earned, until you reach a point where you get to your limit and earn no muscle mass for any amount of fat. Some people are okay with gaining any amount of fat, and some have tighter budgets (and waistlines)