Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So if i use a fantasia, am i able to mess around with what my character looks like and then decide against it? Or am i pretty much stuck into changing once i use it? Still kinda on the fence of changing to either catgirl or maybe High lady after seeing all these beautiful glamors in the thread :v: going from a midlander btw

If you want to preview a different race/appearance you can always use a retainer fantasia on one of your retainers. You even have the option of decking your retainers out in your outfits/glamours to see how they look.

Arist posted:

I like AST :(

AST owns. I was a SCH all throughout ARR and HW and I made the switch to AST as my main healer for SB because it's moveset looked awesome. I still like it a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So if i use a fantasia, am i able to mess around with what my character looks like and then decide against it? Or am i pretty much stuck into changing once i use it? Still kinda on the fence of changing to either catgirl or maybe High lady after seeing all these beautiful glamors in the thread :v: going from a midlander btw

General tip before committing to any changes is to make a character on a different world and save their appearance, then run around with them a few minutes to test out emotes, run animations, that sorta thing.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
AST is good! Just in random parties and duty finder, WHM is a tiny god.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What body gear is that?

Arachne set (or something using that same model anyway).

It's a set that always seems to look good on other people's characters but not on my own.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

All ring of thorns was really good for was letting you know if you hit the flank right on heavy thrust. Bad DPS would just spam it during aoe when they should have been spamming doom spike. Phlebotomize is the real thing I miss.

It was great for the exact situation Bolow was talking about, like when mobs are too spread out or too fat for them to all get hit by Doom Spike. No other DPS has the problem of their AOE lacking so much A.

Gally
May 31, 2001

Come on!

vOv posted:

you look neon as gently caress and I love it

Thanks!

I do try.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫

UHD posted:

:same:

Space mage best mage.

But with ACN/SCH (and maybe SMN? still haven't really touched it) you get to be a mathemagician.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Brainamp posted:

General tip before committing to any changes is to make a character on a different world and save their appearance, then run around with them a few minutes to test out emotes, run animations, that sorta thing.

I'd basically be switching over to cat girl just for the emotes. I'm not super thrilled about the tail but at least it can be color coordinated! Good to know i'm not locked into the fantasia change so i'll go ahead and use it later to get the option available at least.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

a kitten posted:

It's a set that always seems to look good on other people's characters but not on my own.

The Arachne sets are pretty good in general. The Arachne Culottes of Casting are one of the few decent looking pairs of shorts in the game.

The healer version uses the exact same model but the shorts are bright blue for some incomprehensible reason, and they keep a bluish cast even if you dye them.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
I just started playing this game, really enjoyed it and bought the complete edition. Made my character on Excalibur and after playing for a few hours, want to join one of the groups listed in the OP. Which one is still the most active or which one would be better for a new player?

Also, should I bother with crafting as I level up or level up and then bother with crafting? I already tried the botanist class and leveling seems to take forever.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ShowTime posted:

I just started playing this game, really enjoyed it and bought the complete edition. Made my character on Excalibur and after playing for a few hours, want to join one of the groups listed in the OP. Which one is still the most active or which one would be better for a new player?

Also, should I bother with crafting as I level up or level up and then bother with crafting? I already tried the botanist class and leveling seems to take forever.

Level up and then bother with crafting. You don't need it, it's a big time and money sink, and you have a ton of game content to get through before you reach the endgame where the rest of us are having fun so there's no reason to give yourself extra delays unless you super love crafting for crafting's sake.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

ShowTime posted:

Which one is still the most active or which one would be better for a new player?

All three are very active and TPT has the strictest no spoilers rule if you care.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Any are perfectly good, but Third Party Tools was originally created for new players. I don't think it matters in the slightest though.

I think you can level crafting while leveling, but if you're thinking if doing it because you can make your own gear or consumables or make money or anything like that you'll find it's not the case and really probably should just hold off.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Leveling crafting is a gigantic time and money sink and really shouldn't be done before you have a max level combat class.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Shy posted:

All three are very active and TPT has the strictest no spoilers rule if you care.

Yeah TPT chat rules are tailored specifically for newbies. Any of the goon guild will work but if you care about the story (and the ending of 2.0 onwards is really good), TPT might be your niche. You can always transfer between too.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

oooh, more glamour pictures:

can't show it all cause I'm at work, but this is MCH using the Makai gatt.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Are the Anima weapons worth it?

Also, here's my tank glamour at the end of Heavensward, before getting my job armor of course.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

No, unless you REALLY REALLY like the glam. They are an insane amount of effort for a weapon you'll be able to eclipse with minimal effort.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lizard Wizard posted:

As someone with one, no. I only did it because that BRD glamour is to die for.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
whm is disgustingly overpowered in 4-man dungeons at level 70, to the point where you're kind of gimping the team not playing one.

ast is kind of overpowered in 8-man trials and raids at level 70, to the point where you're kind of gimping the team not playing one, but it's not like you can bring two so the other healers have a place. ast/whm is more sound but at current gear levels you can get away with ast/sch pretty easily and it's a higher dps composition for most groups.

GentlemanGiant
Jan 6, 2013

a kitten posted:

Yep, it's the Astral Silk Robe, same model but can be worn on any job.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, lol, who cares if you're gimping the team in exdr, play what you enjoy

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wacky Delly posted:

oooh, more glamour pictures:

can't show it all cause I'm at work, but this is MCH using the Makai gatt.

Missing the mustache but the freakish height is correct. I give your waluigi a 6 out of 10.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

DizzyBum posted:

:agreed: If I wasn't at work right now I'd actually take a screenshot of mine!

Also holy poo poo how did I not know that dyes also color the aether pack?! :aaaaa:

Not only that, they also dye the Gauss barrel. Until Yoship makes /gbarrel serverside a dyable gun is basically mandatory for any MCH glam.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
im glad they reused (and made dyeable) the tactics ogre gear cus the DRG one is one of the best suits in the game

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ShowTime posted:

All goon groups are cool and good, though I get the impression that TPT is a lot stricter about spoilers in chat than the other two groups. You probably won't see a bunch of Stormblood spoilers in PBC chat, but no one's going to think twice about talking about that bit at the end of 2.5 where Thancred stabs Minfilia and Papalylmo to death while singing the Garlean national anthem backwards*. I'd focus on getting a combat class up to 50 before messing around with other stuff. Leveling crafting while you're below 50 or so is a pain since you'll be 100% dependent on the market board for ingredients, and it's going to be a money sink until you can consistently make HQ stuff from NQ components unless you get really lucky with the market board. Gathering isn't quite as bad of an idea, but it still isn't going to make you giant profits in the early going, plus quests, leves, and finishing your log are all going to require you to go places that you need to unlock via the main story.

*not really

TheHeadSage posted:

Welcome to the Unicorn club. Also I straight up stole your tank glam. I'm not sorry.

-teleports behind u-
"nothing personnel kid"
-drizzt do'urden

i fixed my makeup, also I think I'm required by law to fake-quote Drizzt constantly now

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Saint Freak posted:

Missing the mustache but the freakish height is correct. I give your waluigi a 6 out of 10.

Was going more for Naoto Shirogane, but I'll take it.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Arist posted:

As someone with one, no. I only did it because that BRD glamour is to die for.

Longinus Zeta looks so goddamn good, so I've been chipping away at these Zodiac Braves books in between dps queues :negative:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I'm gathering and doing simple crafting but I do that in every drat game where it's available. I started this character by happenstance in Gridania so I'm not even fishing yet!

I'm not obsessive about it, I just like to switch off between questing, gathering and crafting based on what I want to do for the next 30 to 60 minutes. When I'm up in the middle of the night it's nice since it doesn't require much thinking or reacting.

Ask me about crafting CDEF pistol parts in SWG... :shepicide:

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Welp, had a luminous crystal drop from the first FATE I attempted. gently caress it, I'm doing this.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Lizard Wizard posted:

Welp, had a luminous crystal drop from the first FATE I attempted. gently caress it, I'm doing this.

The first ones always free, that's how they get you hooked

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

With TPT and their beach house, I kinda forget they exist/a and don't interact that much. DGKK and PBC houses are right next to each other. I can admire the chaos that is DGKKs house from the relative peace and cleanliness of PBCs McMansion.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Lizard Wizard posted:

I was farming Yo-kai medals while doing the atma portion and I did like 50 fates in Outer LN before I got my last atma to finally drop, right as I got my last Yo-kai medal I needed for all the minions :shepface:

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
AST feels as solid as WHM in AoE situations, but it still does less damage when all is said and done, and it definitely does way less damage in single target situations compared to both healers. Players probably don't notice this, or think their cards are making up for it. Unfortunately, it's difficult to really assess the DPS cards are bringing to your group. While they probably are making up for the DPS gap and more in a strong 8-man group, they're most likely not in a weak group.

Which is to say, AST's strengths like in the strengths of your group, which isn't a bet I really want to take while pugging. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy AST; it still gets the job done and if you like it, go for it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

The first few anima steps are super easy, especially since unsyncing the dungeons at 70 means you can just blitz through most of them. And then you start hitting the steps that require a ton of resource investment.

Bolow posted:

Longinus Zeta looks so goddamn good, so I've been chipping away at these Zodiac Braves books in between dps queues :negative:

It's probably my favorite spear in the game and it goes so perfectly with Life of the Dragon.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Brainamp posted:

The first few anima steps are super easy, especially since unsyncing the dungeons at 70 means you can just blitz through most of them. And then you start hitting the steps that require a ton of resource investment.

It's probably my favorite spear in the game and it goes so perfectly with Life of the Dragon.

Well poo poo, looks like I need to start the book grind.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I guess if we're posting character pics, I'll fetch my most recent one.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

ruta posted:

AST feels as solid as WHM in AoE situations, but it still does less damage when all is said and done, and it definitely does way less damage in single target situations compared to both healers. Players probably don't notice this, or think their cards are making up for it. Unfortunately, it's difficult to really assess the DPS cards are bringing to your group. While they probably are making up for the DPS gap and more in a strong 8-man group, they're most likely not in a weak group.

Which is to say, AST's strengths like in the strengths of your group, which isn't a bet I really want to take while pugging. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy AST; it still gets the job done and if you like it, go for it.

A crazy idea I have been throwing around: Being able to swap between stances on the fly during combat.

Alt: A button that does both effects for fifteen seconds or so

Alt alt: a cooldown that inverts the effect of your next spell cast.

Rastan Beeza
Apr 3, 2016

Pancakes and vegetables are an important part of a dragon's daily diet.

The Grimace posted:

I'm Knives Jonquil from PBC and I have friends in all three goon free companies. I don't wanna recommend any over each other because each one is just a different flavor of chill. I'd probably regularly switch between the three for a change of pace if it weren't for the fact that I'm nicely settled in PBC's house. But basically, don't over think things and don't worry about choosing the 'right' FC. Everyone is generally very helpful.

Come 4.1 I am very much looking forward to running new players through Crystal Tower and the Mhach content. It will be nice to have more chances to 24-man raid again, as that's often my favorite content when with cool people. Full goon raids are a blast and very chill.

You are a cool dude. I was going to transfer pretty soon (might make an alt for the old world to keep in touch with some old NN buds), and I just unlocked Crystal Tower! I'd was thinking of joining PBC, and would love to have a chance to run a raid. It's my first real mmo game, and I hope taking on (outdated) endgame content is pretty fun!

Oh, but does it matter if my GC is different to the FC's? I can change it if I need to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Rastan Beeza posted:

Oh, but does it matter if my GC is different to the FC's? I can change it if I need to.

No, pick the one you like.