Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It may be even worse than the real racist argument, because....the game is coming out now. In the Current Times. The time where the word is racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Mr. Maltose posted:

It may be even worse than the real racist argument, because....the game is coming out now. In the Current Times. The time where the word is racist.

Yea in my old town there was a similar coffee house named 'beaners' kinda thing, but oh what a shock around the 2000's when the internet became a thing people could use they switched their name to something like 'Acadian Cafe' or some other bullshit because they figured out 'oh noooo our name means bad things!' It's currently 2017 when that's all an easy thing to find.

Even then, when someone says 'uh hey 'beaners' means something in the real world...' maybe just say 'oh poo poo ok our staff was super white we didn't know that sorry' instead of 'well actually it's the future soooooooo'.

I love Numenera, it's totally a guilty pleasure 'this game is dumb but fun' thing for my group but man do I not give a poo poo about this KS for so many reasons.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

So is an "Ultraterrestrial" an animal like a tortoise or an elephant?

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

The Moon Monster posted:

It's an extraterrestrial with that extra Monte je ne sais quoi.

E: I think it also includes extradimensional beings, not just space travelers.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

The Moon Monster posted:

some loving LIAR posted:

It's an extraterrestrial with that extra Monte je ne sais quoi.

E: I think it also includes extradimensional beings, not just space travelers.

An Ultraterrestrial is specifically a being from a parallel or future Earth. Unlike an extraterrestrial, which comes from another planet. The nomenclature doesn't come up much anymore with the overall decline in sightings since the invention of the camera phone.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

sexpig by night posted:

I love Numenera, it's totally a guilty pleasure 'this game is dumb but fun' thing for my group but man do I not give a poo poo about this KS for so many reasons.

Yeah even if you like Numenera, I don't get why you wouldn't just wait for it to come out and purchase the 2e book through DriveThru or something. This KS is awful

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Kwyndig posted:

An Ultraterrestrial is specifically a being from a parallel or future Earth. Unlike an extraterrestrial, which comes from another planet. The nomenclature doesn't come up much anymore with the overall decline in sightings since the invention of the camera phone.
Alternately an Ultraterrestrial is something that came before we did. The true masters of the planet whose reign has lapsed due to them needing to leave or going into hiding before the rise of mankind. A good example is the Saurians from Conspiracy X: they were humanoids evolved from dinosaurs who left Earth due to a religious conflict and the "heretics" responsible for the conflict fled into space with their enemies chasing them because their actions made Earth uninhabitable (they exploded a space elevator that was attached to an asteroid in low-earth orbit that the Saurians were using and the impact was the meteor impact that set off the extinction event). Thanks to time dilation, the heretics managed to unstick themselves from warp travel in the 1960s and saw that mankind has risen up to take their place 65 million years later. And now they kinda want their planet back because 50 years later the Saurians that were chasing them to kill them are beginning to dewarp and land on Earth to kill them and seize Earth for their own purposes.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah like I can believe a person wrote it without realizing it's a slur. I have more trouble believing it made it entirely through editing without that.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I grew up in a heavily Hispanic state and had never heard it, but yeah there's a difference between "I hadn't heard that one before, we'll change it" and doubling down.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

That reminds me of the hotel in my town called the Malacca. They changed it after someone told them what it means in Greek, a process that took at least a decade.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Just finished my Legacy 2nd Edition Pledge Manager, and I just got excited about Rhapsody of Blood all over again. The stuff that I have read so far for Legacy has been great, so now I just need to wrangle a group of people together to give it a shot. One of the things I am glad about Apocalypse World being the new d20 is at least playbooks make character creation fast and more about the character than about mechanical minutiae. The fact that you play both a faction and character in Legacy is super neat.

:drac:

Flavivirus
Dec 14, 2011

The next stage of evolution.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Just finished my Legacy 2nd Edition Pledge Manager, and I just got excited about Rhapsody of Blood all over again. The stuff that I have read so far for Legacy has been great, so now I just need to wrangle a group of people together to give it a shot. One of the things I am glad about Apocalypse World being the new d20 is at least playbooks make character creation fast and more about the character than about mechanical minutiae. The fact that you play both a faction and character in Legacy is super neat.

:drac:

:iia:

I'm polishing up some previews of Rhapsody of Blood - what playbook would you most like to hear about :
  • The Slayer, a monster hunter par excellence.
  • The Bonded, someone fused with an intangible spirit they can call on for support.
  • The Mystic, an occultist able to twist the castle's tools against the Regent.
  • The Reckoner, able to lay down order on the chaotic castle and force it to make sense.
  • The Blooded, someone recently infected by the castle's blood and able to tap into that for power and kinship with the monsters.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Jedit posted:

That reminds me of the hotel in my town called the Malacca. They changed it after someone told them what it means in Greek, a process that took at least a decade.

It's also a city in Indonesia Malaysia, which is presumably what they were going for. I get how this relates, but it's not really a racial slur. It's more on the level of, like, this: http://www.phuketexperience.com/

E: Malaysia, not Indonesia.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Flavivirus posted:

I'm polishing up some previews of Rhapsody of Blood - what playbook would you most like to hear about :
  • The Slayer, a monster hunter par excellence.
  • The Bonded, someone fused with an intangible spirit they can call on for support.
  • The Mystic, an occultist able to twist the castle's tools against the Regent.
  • The Reckoner, able to lay down order on the chaotic castle and force it to make sense.
  • The Blooded, someone recently infected by the castle's blood and able to tap into that for power and kinship with the monsters.

Rhapsody of Blood is what convinced me to back L2. I'd LOVE to see the Slayer!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

So with a tagline like 'Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy RPG' - it's just D&D, right?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LuiCypher posted:

So with a tagline like 'Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy RPG' - it's just D&D, right?

I mean, there's plenty of space for a game that's actually (competently) designed to run sandbox wilderness adventure campaigns, because D&D sure as hell isn't.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Lemon-Lime posted:

I mean, there's plenty of space for a game that's actually (competently) designed to run sandbox wilderness adventure campaigns, because D&D sure as hell isn't.

So basically Mage Knight?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

LuiCypher posted:

Nope, say what you will about Mutant Year Zero, any game based on it mechanically will not play like D&D. I'm not a huge fan of MYZ, but it's got a decent enough core to it. It just has the issue that a lot of the RPGs from the area have: Lots of charts and vague translations and/or rules. If they port the rules directly, expect combats to be dangerous but healing to be surprisingly easy and there being a kingdom management minigame that's mostly about making bigger numbers.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

The joke is that you could call D&D just that - a Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy RPG - and it would still work to describe D&D. It's more a commentary on the amount of marketing buzzword gobbledygook that they spewed out to describe it that:

1. Ultimately means very little
2. Could be used to describe just about any Pen and Paper RPG

I mean, gently caress it, you could describe Call of Cthulhu using those words. If anyone decides to Kickstart that RPG based on that word vomit, then I have a bridge to sell them...

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's buzzword bingo but it specifically describes hexcrawls and not "just about any RPG." :shrug:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 22, 2017

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

A retro procedurally-generated roguelike with crafting elements, survival mechanics and zombies=you're all investigating a necromancer's hideout in the woods, the GM has a lot of random encounter tables and the wizard intends to take some feats to make magic items.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Flavivirus posted:

All these look interesting, but the theme of Corruption seems important to what I assume the game will be like.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I dunno, I get exactly what they are going for with "Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy." If you make your game specifically to support that kind of play, there's some real potential.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
A game that's built from first principles to support hexcrawling could be interesting. Rules for exploration, discovery, and getting lost. Rules for resource/supply management. Character classes and skill loadouts and spell lists designed to support this style of play. Rules for changing the area as you explore it (setting up an supplied outpost reduces the monster encounters by 20% in a four-hex radius). Different genres - fantasy wilderness, 19th century exploring-the-hidden-continent-with-pith-helmets, flying your FTL scout around newly discovered shard of the jumpweb, etc.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

dwarf74 posted:

I dunno, I get exactly what they are going for with "Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy." If you make your game specifically to support that kind of play, there's some real potential.

People with questionable background taking control of mortal society for a generation definitely lends itself to corruption. And so would the opposite oppressively puritan monster hunter who rabidly purifies evil at any cost.

Maybe not required to be the case, sure, but definitely inherent to the theme. Also your bloodline is literally something inside you that you can't escape.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I have to admit I'm actually quite fond of that word salad of ""Retro Open-World Survival Fantasy", mostly because I've never done a hexcrawl before, and a cursory look at the Coriolus quickstart seemed to indicate the system was pretty simple and straightforward. I figure its worth asking though if theres any issue with the publisher or authors or whatever, as I'm not too familiar with them.

And while browsing quickstarter for simple RPGs, I came across Tiny Dungeon 2nd Edition. Never heard of it or the publisher before, and it seems so simple/light that it'd be fine for younger kids. Anything else along the same vein thats better or any issues around this one?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've kickstarted 3 things from Fria Ligan. The first, genlab alpha, arrived at my place the month of fulfillment they originally listed. The second, Coriolis, shipped during the listed fulfillment month and arrived the next. The third, Mutant Mechatron, will be maybe 2-3 months late, and the developer said it was due to revisions after feedback from players of the original Swedish version. The games are all good quality, have a good mix of old school sensibilities and new school rules. These are people who obviously have actually played games like apocalypse world and take things from them that work. You're gonna have charts. You're gonna have random lists to roll for things on if you want. But you also have mechanics that directly tie into the theme of the game and support the style they're going for. Mutant Year Zero is a survival exploration game. It has constant crises at the home base forcing you to explore. Exploring is measured in hours per square you move through, which can either have plot importance or mechanical importance if a character has started bleeding out and needs to find health. There is always a chance of finding new things in a place, but also clearing it out to be safe and allow faster movement. Damage gets dealt to attributes, but those get healed by your actual resources of food, water, sleep, and friendship. You have to figure out what you can ration for when exploring, and then scramble when things go wrong. It's a real sense of things being hard scrabble and wanting to find the easy way past the roving band of mutant hyenas so you can check that old metal building on the lake for potable water so you can rush back home because people there are dying of thirst. It's a good game. Biggest complaints I've heard are that mutant year zero can get too easy once players level up enough.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
T2029: Terminator 2 Board Game launched today from Rule & Make. It was announced and previewed at Gen Con and looks awesome as someone who isn't even really a fan of the franchise (I seriously went and watched T2 for the first time after seeing this at Gen Con; I'm 34). Game design is by Ian O'Toole, known for his graphic design and art work on the recent run of Vital Lacerda's games (Lisboa, The Gallerist, Vinhos Deluxe, etc.), among other awesome things. Much more about dice drafting and action management than the dice-chucking minis-fest that you'd expect from a brand like this, while still being super thematic.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

FMguru posted:

A game that's built from first principles to support hexcrawling could be interesting. Rules for exploration, discovery, and getting lost. Rules for resource/supply management. Character classes and skill loadouts and spell lists designed to support this style of play. Rules for changing the area as you explore it (setting up an supplied outpost reduces the monster encounters by 20% in a four-hex radius). Different genres - fantasy wilderness, 19th century exploring-the-hidden-continent-with-pith-helmets, flying your FTL scout around newly discovered shard of the jumpweb, etc.

god if this game isn't that i'm making this game.

kinkouin
Nov 7, 2014

Merauder posted:

T2029: Terminator 2 Board Game launched today from Rule & Make. It was announced and previewed at Gen Con and looks awesome as someone who isn't even really a fan of the franchise (I seriously went and watched T2 for the first time after seeing this at Gen Con; I'm 34). Game design is by Ian O'Toole, known for his graphic design and art work on the recent run of Vital Lacerda's games (Lisboa, The Gallerist, Vinhos Deluxe, etc.), among other awesome things. Much more about dice drafting and action management than the dice-chucking minis-fest that you'd expect from a brand like this, while still being super thematic.

Looks way cooler than the other Terminator game that is in the middle of production. Might have to get this one too :smith:

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

FMguru posted:

I'd love to see a monthly design competition thing built around this premise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Impermanent posted:

god if this game isn't that i'm making this game.

Please do regardless. I'd be eager to see some design discussion of this concept in the retroclone thread. I am sort of already designing a similar game behind the scenes.

GaistHeidegger
May 20, 2001

"Can you see?"
On the subject of such, I can also recommend checking out The Perilous Wilds spin from Dungeon World, which is basically kitted and oriented towards trying to focus on overland exploration / discovery / etc. in a similar vein (with some very fun excellent art to boot.)

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
Fate of the world posted their new Kickstarter.

http://kck.st/2yDIvvT

I had a blast with the first one and it looks like they are adding a lot of new features.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I dunno if any of you kicked into Talislanta Savage Lands, but they just announced that it wasn't going to be financially worth it to do the Savage Worlds and Pathfinder books. You can get a refund or change your order to 5e, Open D6 or the original Talislanta ruleset.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
7th Continent's 2nd edition/reprint is on KS as of today. I'm interested but will not likely be backing due to the price and time involved in actually playing it.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

7th Continent's 2nd edition/reprint is on KS as of today. I'm interested but will not likely be backing due to the price and time involved in actually playing it.

Is that time the max time a game can take, like running the longest of options/scenarios, or is that more like for every game?

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is that time the max time a game can take, like running the longest of options/scenarios, or is that more like for every game?

I've heard from other people / read that it has a pretty slick "save" mechanic, so the former. I think setup is supposed to be pretty easy too.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
This thing looks super weird: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/andromedathegame/andromeda-the-game/description

It's a generic sci-fi / cyberpunk RPG and a board game that somehow go together and also have a 3-CD soundtrack? Is there any chance this thing could end up actually being made or is it just some crazy pipedream? I'm almost tempted to back it to see what comes of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
With that editing, could be good if you speak Spanish.