Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Nitrousoxide posted:

He's only with the heros now because the villains have to live in the shadows thanks to All Might. If being a villain was a thing he could do without All Might immediately crushing you, and doing so would mean people would recognize how powerful he was, he would do so in a heartbeat.

It has nothing to do with him having a noble heart. He just cares about showing the world how powerful he is.
Yeah but that's not the world Bakugo lives in. He spend his childhood watching a video of All Might destroying villains. Even IF Shigaraki wins and kills All Might and villains rule the world, the villains are still the villains, and the heroes are the goddamn heroes, someone he's idolized his entire life, it's just not about being on top of the current power structure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I think even if villains were more prevalent and not outright Losers, present day Bakugou would still want to be the top hero and crush them. If he was a killer, he would have killed someone by now, I think.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
next theory: Is Todoroki Woke? He seems accurate with calling Stain a fundamentalist anarchist, answering complex problems in society with basic answers, but does he understand Stain's viewpoint? He does seem to not respect the police so I lean yes, Todoroki is woke

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

guts and bolts posted:

If he was a killer, he would have killed someone by now, I think.

As aforementioned, this is a guy who uses death threats as a greeting. There's an edge to him, no matter whether he's acted on it or not.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

guts and bolts posted:

I think even if villains were more prevalent and not outright Losers, present day Bakugou would still want to be the top hero and crush them. If he was a killer, he would have killed someone by now, I think.

Yeah, this. Even if some stupid overpowered villain killed All Might, theoretically proving that villains rulez and heroes suckz ,I'm pretty sure Bakugou's reaction would be something along the lines of "ok, so this is the guy I have to defeat to become new All Might. On it."

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Zomborgon posted:

As aforementioned, this is a guy who uses death threats as a greeting. There's an edge to him, no matter whether he's acted on it or not.

I'm not saying that Bakugou's constantly threatening his peers with death is normal, but to suggest that all of his "SHINE" screams really mean he's trying to kill you - that seems off-base. He fought Uraraka exactly hard enough to beat her, not humiliate her, and respected the terms of the final exam as per the environmental destruction caused. His power is literally to make explosions. Bakugou must, if you think about it, actively work to not kill people and still use his power, and has done so with no problems thus far. I'm not saying he's a well-adjusted young man, or that he's somehow more of an ideal hero than Deku, but I Don't Think Bakugou Is Evil™

It came up in season 1 somewhere, I think, but Bakugou was taught from a young age that he's the best, that everyone else around him is in awe of him and his powers, and that he is special and strong and good. This has resulted in him treating everyone around him as if they are insulting him by comparing themselves to him, and that by standing in the way of his special destiny they are denying the rise of the world's greatest hero. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say he emphasizes beating opponents instead of rescuing people because his power literally makes things explode; like the mind-control kid, his powerset is uniquely suited to one thing (winning fights and being in combat in Bakugou's case, coercing others into doing things in mind-control kid's case, and both could be construed as more traditionally villainous) - and also because he's never really had to face the consequences or even the decision of "beat a bad guy" vs. "save an innocent." If Deku's story is about acquiring the strength to act on his ideals, Bakugou's story is about acquiring the ideals necessary to justify the use of his strength. They're pretty interesting foils but are both heroic in the end, in my opinion.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I feel like the latest episode was pretty straightforward about this. Bakugo wants to always win because that's what he thinks a hero does. If he had to be a villain to always win, that would seriously undermine his motivation. I don't think he'd do that.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

100 degrees Calcium posted:

I feel like the latest episode was pretty straightforward about this. Bakugo wants to always win because that's what he thinks a hero does. If he had to be a villain to always win, that would seriously undermine his motivation. I don't think he'd do that.

That's the vibe I get from Bakugou, too. It isn't "I'll be a hero, so I can always win," it's the opposite of that - "I'll always win, so I can be a hero".

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

guts and bolts posted:

I'm not saying that Bakugou's constantly threatening his peers with death is normal, but to suggest that all of his "SHINE" screams really mean he's trying to kill you - that seems off-base.

Indeed it would be. I mean to highlight that he has lot of violent instinct that he has to restrain, as you have also suggested.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Bakugo threatens to kill Kirishima when Kirshima gets excited about facing him in the tournament and also the only person Baukgo will hang out with 1 on 1 so Bakugo says a lot of things

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I mean hell the last episode makes fun of that verbal tick even.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Hi. Did you order the Mongolian… Beef?
Bakugo is always angry, but his anger often has different contexts and reasons. For example, he definitely went into the exam with a plan. His exclamation of "I'm gonna tire him out and beat the crap out of All Might" is far more of him wanting Deku to shut up and leave him alone, with a touch of his dislike of Deku thrown in as well as his inability to express himself through talking. He was impatient.

When he got hit so hard he puked, he realized the gulf between him and All Might and was about to give up. When Deku and Bakugo regrouped and ambushed All Might, he had tears in his eyes. The last time that happened was when Deku confronted Bakugo in front of the school, when Bakugo realized he was outclassed by people like Todoroki and Momo. He was frustrated, at himself and his situation.

I find Bakugo an interesting character because there's a lot of layers behind him: he's smart, has good instincts and a great grasp of a powerful Quirk, but he's also limited by his anger, bullying and immaturity. There's a lot of potential for him to grow up and stop being a bully. There's also just as much potential for him becoming a horrific abuser like Endeavor.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Susano-maku da! posted:

Bakugo is always angry, but his anger often has different contexts and reasons. For example, he definitely went into the exam with a plan. His exclamation of "I'm gonna tire him out and beat the crap out of All Might" is far more of him wanting Deku to shut up and leave him alone, with a touch of his dislike of Deku thrown in as well as his inability to express himself through talking. He was impatient.

When he got hit so hard he puked, he realized the gulf between him and All Might and was about to give up. When Deku and Bakugo regrouped and ambushed All Might, he had tears in his eyes. The last time that happened was when Deku confronted Bakugo in front of the school, when Bakugo realized he was outclassed by people like Todoroki and Momo. He was frustrated, at himself and his situation.

I find Bakugo an interesting character because there's a lot of layers behind him: he's smart, has good instincts and a great grasp of a powerful Quirk, but he's also limited by his anger, bullying and immaturity. There's a lot of potential for him to grow up and stop being a bully. There's also just as much potential for him becoming a horrific abuser like Endeavor.

I agree w/r/t his plan for dealing with All Might; I don't think he ever intended to go toe to toe with him, since he's seen first-hand the level of power All Might can bring to bear on a person/Nomu, I just think he didn't want to bother explaining anything to Deku at all, and summarized it with "I'll clobber him, shut up." From the jump I think his intentions were to blind or stun All Might, or otherwise knock him away far enough to reach the escape gate; the fight also shows off Bakugou's tendency to prod at his opponent to discover weaknesses he can exploit a la what he did to Todoroki, rather than show off Bakugou coming at the king.

I also agree with what Bakugou's character arc is set up to be, I just also happen to believe he'll come down firmly on the side of the Good Guys, and eventually grow out of being a dickhead bully. I don't know if he'll ever be friendly and upbeat - that would remove major comedy from the series, too, so I hope he doesn't - but one of the main early points we've seen is that All Might is inspiring not just to Deku. He's the reason Kacchan wants to be a hero, too. Hopefully some of All Might rubs off on the kid more than "be obscenely powerful," that's my guess/hope.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Yeah, it's really interesting how Deku, Bakugo and Todoroki all were directly inspired by All Might, but in different ways. Deku has an obsessive need to help and improve everyone around him, Todoroki realized that he gets to define himself on his own terms, Bakugo wants to be the one who vanquishes evil at all costs (ironic, but telling that Deku's admiration for Bakugo was from when Bakugo took on bullies). That's what it means to be the Symbol of Peace.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
He said "DIE" when he was just throwing a ball.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Susano-maku da! posted:

Yeah, it's really interesting how Deku, Bakugo and Todoroki all were directly inspired by All Might, but in different ways. Deku has an obsessive need to help and improve everyone around him, Todoroki realized that he gets to define himself on his own terms, Bakugo wants to be the one who vanquishes evil at all costs (ironic, but telling that Deku's admiration for Bakugo was from when Bakugo took on bullies). That's what it means to be the Symbol of Peace.
Would you say it's all about All Might?

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

Fabricated posted:

Would you say it's all about All Might?

Not particularly, although he's obviously important. There aren't many cast meme era who are fixated on All Might: Deku, Shigaraki, All for One, Stain, Endeavor (and by twisted extension, Todoroki, who was far more influenced indirectly). But few of the other characters are, from major ones such as Tenya and Uraraka to minor ones like Shinso and Mei.

The series always toys with the idea of what it means to be a hero, and offers a ton of definitions and motivations. All Might is considered such an ideal that he feels a Jack Kirby era golden age icon, almost stuck in time. He represents a classical ideal of heroism, but it's clear that not everyone sees heroism in the same way, in both good and bad ways.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Susano-maku da! posted:

Not particularly, although he's obviously important. There aren't many cast meme era who are fixated on All Might: Deku, Shigaraki, All for One, Stain, Endeavor (and by twisted extension, Todoroki, who was far more influenced indirectly). But few of the other characters are, from major ones such as Tenya and Uraraka to minor ones like Shinso and Mei.

The series always toys with the idea of what it means to be a hero, and offers a ton of definitions and motivations. All Might is considered such an ideal that he feels a Jack Kirby era golden age icon, almost stuck in time. He represents a classical ideal of heroism, but it's clear that not everyone sees heroism in the same way, in both good and bad ways.

All Might's most important contribution to society is not even just that being a villain is dangerous due to his presence, though it is; he's one guy in the country and his speed and power are not limitless, and that's only going by what the public knows generally (Shigaraki apparently knew All Might was "getting weaker" at the USJ, even). All Might also made being a hero an ideal to reach for and strive to become, and he inspired basically a generation of people to hold themselves to his standards of selflessness and dignity in the face of what could generously be called overwhelming odds. As a deterrent I think his inspiring effect is at least as important as his ability to punch a man into orbit. He feels, obviously, like an analog to Superman, who is optimistic and idealistic to the extreme, and he makes others around him better by following in his example. It isn't the only kind of heroism that exists, considering Gran Torino and Aizawa and All Might's own predecessors who were apparently far less ubiquitous than he is/was, but it's so impactful because he makes people want to emulate him or even surpass his greatness. Eraserhead is just as heroic but he isn't the Symbol of Peace for a reason.

The answer to the question of "who will succeed All Might, and why?" is sort of the driving force of the series, and to its credit it at least sorta presents other viewpoints as being valid beyond just the protagonist's. This is the story of how Deku became the world's greatest hero and all. But the show never straight up says Bakugou is wrong for believing what he does.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The video of All Might carrying a dozen or so people on his back out of a disaster and laughing then going back for more rules. He's someone who truly represents peace, that no matter how bad things may get, there's always one person in the world who can fix it. Evil has no chance of winning and everyone is confident of this and we see first hand how powerful his charisma is. Busting down the doors of USJ with a strong scowl and announcing his presence instantly sends some of the students into tears and a lot of the tension for the audience is gone. Even with his back to a corner against Nomu, he comes and gives one of the greatest beatdowns.

It's the one thing Endeavor doesn't have, what makes him #2 and what Deku, Bakugo and Todoroki haven't got yet. That instant calming and encouraging presence the second you lay eyes on them.

And the best part is that he's still kind of a goof up. He's not a great teacher, he's not sure if he's helping or hurting Midoriya, he worries that Aizawa doesn't like him, he's scared of Gran Torino his ringtone is his own yell. He strikes this near perfect balance of the idol you want and the goofball bumbling dad figure.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

I do think it's really interesting that the series is covering not only what it means to be hero, but also the importance of projecting the IMAGE of being one, too. That video of All Might carrying all those people is so iconic that he gets interviewed about it. Contrast that with Endeavor, who is clearly amazing at his job, but his self image and reputation precedes him in that you tell that members of the public don't really like him (like the disappoint people expressed when they heard the news that Endeavor took down Stain)

The series is doing a good job covering the different sides of that, too, like Momo and Tendo's internship with the Snake lady, Best Jeanist's use of jeans as a uniform/calling card for his acolytes, and Ingenium's rep as a popular, street level working hero with dozens of sidekicks. None of them are icons in the way All Might is, but their image seems to define them as heroes as much as their actions. There's a Tiger and Bunny vibe to it, although it's far less cynical.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
all might defeating the nomu specifically made to beat him ruled so much. the english dub is AMAZING for this part too, the voice actor absolutely kills it when he's talking about what a "real hero" does. that line when he says he'll teach him what going beyond means is so incredible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
PLUS ULTRAAAAAAA!

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Horikoshi regrets writing Bakugou so harshly in the first chapter though so it's kinda obvious he went overboard at the start with how much of a giant dick he is.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

To be fair, that was before Deku saved him and he spent ten months brooding on it. You can argue that his mindset developed and he did leave Deku alone after that at school.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Eej posted:

Horikoshi regrets writing Bakugou so harshly in the first chapter though so it's kinda obvious he went overboard at the start with how much of a giant dick he is.

Where did he say this? This was my feeling but it would be interesting to read about it.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Moltrey posted:

Even with his back to a corner against Nomu, he comes and gives one of the greatest beatdowns.

All Might is my favorite character, and I posted about it earlier in this thread or some other iteration of it, but the story sometimes touches a weird place for me. In most of the media and fiction I consume, I'm pretty detached and I guess sometimes overly critical, and it's difficult for me to get fully immersed in anything. Even as things are happening, my brain is usually racing ahead to think of what story beat is likely to get hit next, or trying to look for cool callbacks or allegory or symbolism, or whatever dumbass poo poo I like to talk about with my more pretentious friends. On its face All Might's fight with the Nomu would be no different, but I absolutely lost my loving mind. The animation was spectacular, the strings in You Say Run are borderline exploitative in how effective they are at building hype, and I don't know how better to explain it other than to say I felt like a kid. I was rooting for All Might, genuinely rooting for him to win, and I completely forgot it was a cartoon show for kids about superheroes. It was like a wrestling nerd temporarily forgetting it's staged and scripted and just marking the hell out. It was frankly kind of embarrassing.

All Might is the world's greatest hero.

tbp posted:

all might defeating the nomu specifically made to beat him ruled so much.

MHA is a fun show that I like a lot, but no other moment in the show - or any show in recent memory - has gotten to me like this one did. I remember being a child and rooting for the Power Rangers to win their battles because it felt somehow important to me at the time, like the Good Guys had to win because that's what makes the world okay, even if you go outside and it's lovely and your family's kinda poor at least the Good Guys are supposed to win. I honestly audibly cheered when the "PLUS ULTRA!!" came. I am a gigantic idiot but idgaf.

Susano-maku da! posted:

I do think it's really interesting that the series is covering not only what it means to be hero, but also the importance of projecting the IMAGE of being one, too. That video of All Might carrying all those people is so iconic that he gets interviewed about it. Contrast that with Endeavor, who is clearly amazing at his job, but his self image and reputation precedes him in that you tell that members of the public don't really like him (like the disappoint people expressed when they heard the news that Endeavor took down Stain)

The series is doing a good job covering the different sides of that, too, like Momo and Tendo's internship with the Snake lady, Best Jeanist's use of jeans as a uniform/calling card for his acolytes, and Ingenium's rep as a popular, street level working hero with dozens of sidekicks. None of them are icons in the way All Might is, but their image seems to define them as heroes as much as their actions. There's a Tiger and Bunny vibe to it, although it's far less cynical.

The branding™ of the heroes and their public perception are treated as seriously important by the show, but the heroes themselves (Mount Lady, Endeavor, to an extent Hatsume Mei, etc.) who either manipulate that image or do not live up to their forward-facing persona are also treated with disdain by the narrative, if not by the other characters who may not know they aren't genuine. Hatsume Mei's a more comedic disdain than Mt. Lady, and Mt. Lady is given more of a free pass than Endeavor, but I think the point holds up. I think part of why All Might put all that pressure on Deku to say "I am here!" at the sports festival wasn't to announce to the world that he had a successor - he was teaching Deku that to be the Symbol of Peace you have to get used to having all eyes trained on you at all times, and you can never waver, even for a second. It is an incredibly difficult, high-pressure job, and part of the reason why is public perception and branding.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

We're basically teasing season 3 at this point. I wonder if it'll be 2 cour again. I can't think of a good stopping point because the next 2 major arcs are 1 cour of material.

I'm thinking either one or an irregular-length season. There's a certain point that I can't imagine them not ending on or around.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah. If it's not 2 cour, then the season will have to end on a hell of a cliff hanger.

That's all I'll say because the wink wink nudge nudge in here tends to get out of hand pretty quick.

Susano-maku da!
Nov 12, 2003

guts and bolts posted:

The branding™ of the heroes and their public perception are treated as seriously important by the show, but the heroes themselves (Mount Lady, Endeavor, to an extent Hatsume Mei, etc.) who either manipulate that image or do not live up to their forward-facing persona are also treated with disdain by the narrative, if not by the other characters who may not know they aren't genuine. Hatsume Mei's a more comedic disdain than Mt. Lady, and Mt. Lady is given more of a free pass than Endeavor, but I think the point holds up. I think part of why All Might put all that pressure on Deku to say "I am here!" at the sports festival wasn't to announce to the world that he had a successor - he was teaching Deku that to be the Symbol of Peace you have to get used to having all eyes trained on you at all times, and you can never waver, even for a second. It is an incredibly difficult, high-pressure job, and part of the reason why is public perception and branding.

Geez, those are great points, and that adds an interesting dynamic I didn't think of... the show disdains the exact kind of heroes that Stain does. Stain's a mass murdered and a seriously hosed up individual, but the fact that there's a kernel of truth in what he says that the show itself has gone out of its way to support...

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Even All Might right at the start says that the "so-called heroes" these days have forgotten the simple heroics of just cleaning up a dirty beach because they're only in it for flashy stuff.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Susano-maku da! posted:

There's a Tiger and Bunny vibe to it, although it's far less cynical.

You're right, I agree. Tiger and Bunny and Sky High, who is best hero should make cameos in this show! Good idea.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

Nephthys posted:

Even All Might right at the start says that the "so-called heroes" these days have forgotten the simple heroics of just cleaning up a dirty beach because they're only in it for flashy stuff.

Did we ever get any of All Might's opinion on Stain's words?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Darke GBF posted:

You're right, I agree. Tiger and Bunny and Sky High, who is best hero should make cameos in this show! Good idea.
I still think a decent pitch for MHA to certain people would be "Sky High but as an anime".

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zomborgon posted:

Did we ever get any of All Might's opinion on Stain's words?

Nope!

Here's a great video. Sorry if its already been posted.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Momo's internship is actually the clearest example of heroes becoming glorified celebrities and not really caring about helping people. To be honest I hadn't really thought of this read of Hero Academia until the Hero Killer arc so I guess Stain Had a Point

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
I mean, imo it's kinda explicit that Stain Has A Point. It's why the message is resonating with other outcast people.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If only Stain had tried to illustrate his point through means other than the murder or attempted murder of legitimately decent and heroic people and also children. If only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nephthys posted:

Nope!

Here's a great video. Sorry if its already been posted.

whats great about it

• Locked thread