Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
So I was curious how people play pm3. Do you dig deep, or hunt for explosives?

I've been making a point to nail everything that can blow up and I'm not sure if it's more profitable or successful but it's a lot more engaging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

I have a hat that locates air pockets, so I always dig to those. That usually reveals something explodey.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
I've got a helmet that gives a 6 block radius crate radar that I am never replacing. It's generally better to hunt for crates because everything except dynamite gives you at least a block of depth for your trouble, and some of them much more.

Even without the crate radar just play it smart. Don't hit dynamite unless you need to uncover a horizontal area, fireworks are crap without cards or gear that makes them break blocks on impact. Alternately just dig poo poo up and have fun because you can always just have another go at it and you always take away some progression from a level.

Here's another question, though. Is it worth it to craft blue or white gear? I find myself only converting the lower tiers and wearing purples at the minimum. I'm at level 13 for gear and I can still put together a new piece every 2 or 3 levels. I imagine if you need 30 tokens or something you might deign to craft a blue, but has anyone gotten that far along?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

coyo7e posted:

I've been making a point to nail everything that can blow up and I'm not sure if it's more profitable or successful but it's a lot more engaging.

My pick causes 5 rockets to spawn when I punch monsters, another thing I use gives rockets a chance to break things when they bounce around, and a necklace increases spawns by a bunch.

My tactic is to dive into a monster spawn and watch the world burn.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
What determines when I can upgrade a card? Its definiltey not just cost.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime

Knifegrab posted:

What determines when I can upgrade a card? Its definiltey not just cost.

You have to have a duplicate of the card.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

rotaryfun posted:

You have to have a duplicate of the card.

Ohhhh that makes sense.

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I've got a helmet that gives a 6 block radius crate radar that I am never replacing. It's generally better to hunt for crates because everything except dynamite gives you at least a block of depth for your trouble, and some of them much more.

Even without the crate radar just play it smart. Don't hit dynamite unless you need to uncover a horizontal area, fireworks are crap without cards or gear that makes them break blocks on impact. Alternately just dig poo poo up and have fun because you can always just have another go at it and you always take away some progression from a level.

Here's another question, though. Is it worth it to craft blue or white gear? I find myself only converting the lower tiers and wearing purples at the minimum. I'm at level 13 for gear and I can still put together a new piece every 2 or 3 levels. I imagine if you need 30 tokens or something you might deign to craft a blue, but has anyone gotten that far along?

There's definitely some nice item synergies out there. I've got that hat, which also gives +60% crate chance. Got an amulet upgraded that gives +20% relic quality boost chance. And gloves that give me a key back 25% of the time I open a chest. I go chest hunting, can't open them all as I run out of keys (starting with 12), and come out with twenty relics with a couple of them being highest quality.

For the item crafting, it feels like it's worth it to have shots at getting good synergies to choose from. That said, I haven't done it yet. Sticking to epic and legendary items.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Anyone else have problems getting the 2X Cash bonus? I have watched 4 ads in a row and it still doesn't activate it.
EDIT: Apparently you need to use up one charge for it to activate.

coyo7e posted:

If it is a new zone, I always try digging deep to finish the zone. I will only focus on going straight down as best as I can, even if that involves me using up picks to do so. Finishing the zone to get the chest is most important. You can rerun it after without worrying about finishing.

Check your gear and see what they all provide in terms of effects. Get the cards to do the same and aim for those specific squares if possible

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 26, 2017

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I'm loving my current pick that has a fair chance (20%?) to just not take damage when digging.

In general, a good strategy is to hit the explosive things that are near the bottom of the screen. If you go past a bomb, don't bother going back up for it, not really worth it. I usually see how few blocks I need to actually break myself, and that tends to get me to the bottom fairly often.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Is there a way to kill monsters without taking damage or using an exploding crate?

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Digital Jedi posted:

Anyone else have problems getting the 2X Cash bonus? I have watched 4 ads in a row and it still doesn't activate it.
EDIT: Apparently you need to use up one charge for it to activate.

I think sometimes the indicator just doesn't update even though it is working. :iiam:

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Hobo Clown posted:

Is there a way to kill monsters without taking damage or using an exploding crate?

There is I believe. The solid are bricks and the X is the monster. If you stop the ladder at L, the monster will come to you and drop to the next floor. As it drops you can hit it and kill it without damage.

█ █ █ █ █ L █
X
█ █ █ █ █

█ █ █ █ █ █ █

█ █ █ █ █ █ █

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 27, 2017

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Radiation City is an open world survival game that has some pretty decent graphics and is a follow up to the dev's similarly themed Radiation Island. A premium game, you get in on the early access beta for a discounted price right now.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

For Pocket Mine 3, I'm having a tough time gauging whether the dailies (most of which are 2 energy) return more resources than (not beating) the adventure levels. Anyone have any input here?

Also, anyone have any issues with some levels not loading until the app is restarted?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hobo Clown posted:

If you hit them when they're still surprised (with the '!' above their head), then you don't take damage.

Eternalmajin
Apr 5, 2009
Joining the bandwagon because I follow the popular crowd.

http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=dfzg2659

Code: dfzg2659

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Anyway to kill mimics withouit taking damage?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Blattdorf posted:

I just want to play a game that isn't "you're not strong enough, play this mission five more times to gather coins and btw watch some ads".

Navigating the Android store gets sad after a while.

I've recently learned you can get the Ace Attorney games on it, so I happily bought Dual Destinies and I was wondering if there are any other high-profile games like that.

Square Enix has a lot of stuff up but it's at higher price points than your average android fare and I can't really speak to the quality (FF Tactics on the iPad was pretty good a few years back but no idea on anything other than that). X-COM and the Shadowrun games are also pretty solid.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The mobile version of Middle-earth: Shadow of War is out worldwide on the Play Store. Instead of open world orc killing expect a much more linear action RPG with character collecting instead.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

mrkillboy posted:

The mobile version of Middle-earth: Shadow of War is out worldwide on the Play Store. Instead of open world orc killing expect a much more linear action RPG with character collecting instead.

from the reviews posted:

Uh... This is a Middle Earth game, right? So why is there a black human in the party? The African race is depicted by the orcs. Don't try to lump these into "human". Geez, this game isn't gonna happen.
Jesus christ why do I even bother reading game reviews anymore I'd rather hear about this doesn't work on their Galaxy S1 or something.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

I mean there's Lord of the rings for you

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
Why not?
Click this link to add me as friend in Pocket Mine 3.
http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=ndtc6301

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

socialsecurity posted:

Jesus christ why do I even bother reading game reviews anymore I'd rather hear about this doesn't work on their Galaxy S1 or something.

When you're a dipshit whose only knowledge of Lord of the Rings is from a movie I guess you've never heard of a black numenorean.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

mrkillboy posted:

wow that's one of the more egregious p2w plans ive ever seen especially since the gameplay is "auto walk/fight, swipe back to dodge and occasionally press a button for your special"

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
that fool, tolkien was no racist, there were absolutely darker skin humans in middle earth like the haradrim and they all *check notes* ah fought for sauron also

Dancer
May 23, 2011
It's not common that I can recommend a game without reservations in the F2P wasteland that is mobile gaming, but today I actually found one. It's called Data Wing and it's sort of a "racer" (Think F-Zero, except top-down). Great gameplay, good graphics and music (though not amazing), cute story, and everywhere you look, it just feels so polished. It's also entirely free without any ads or IAP or anything of that sort. If I had to point out a flaw in it I'd say that it's a bit short, but really, how much can you demand of a free game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DanVogt.DATAWING

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth
Goddammit... Click this link to add me as friend in Pocket Mine 3.
http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=zbnm0329

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Dancer posted:

It's not common that I can recommend a game without reservations in the F2P wasteland that is mobile gaming, but today I actually found one. It's called Data Wing and it's sort of a "racer" (Think F-Zero, except top-down). Great gameplay, good graphics and music (though not amazing), cute story, and everywhere you look, it just feels so polished. It's also entirely free without any ads or IAP or anything of that sort. If I had to point out a flaw in it I'd say that it's a bit short, but really, how much can you demand of a free game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.DanVogt.DATAWING

I'd back this up. I found it erlier, really good.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
The latest in Gameloft's Modern Combat series, Modern Combat Versus, should be out worldwide today. Instead of aping Call of Duty like the other MC games, this new installment goes in a completely new and innovative direction by being a multiplayer only character based shooter.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the "characters" in that game look about as deep and unique as quake 3 skins :v:

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Blattdorf posted:

Already have it on the PC, but yeah, the game is amazing.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/355980/announcements/detail/2542695334285627311

Good news! A sequel is coming out soon.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Unf. Yes.

Also, for anyone not playing Pocket Mine 3, definitely check it out. I have to say that it's among the best f2p games I've seen in a long time, in that you genuinely don't ever really need to spend money. Not only is the "free grind" not that punishing, but the game is designed in such a way that if you've got halfway decent gear, cards, and know the rules, it's a very good puzzle game where planning well really benefits you.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I added most od you nerds in pocket miner the third.

Please also.add me - tqks1919 or http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=tqks1919

Thank you.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Lutha Mahtin posted:

the "characters" in that game look about as deep and unique as quake 3 skins :v:

It took me long enough for an npc to say "defend the poo poo out of this!" conntrol point for me to uninstall it.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Capcom's new Puzzle Fighter is out in soft launch for folks in Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mexico and Singapore.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

mrkillboy posted:

Capcom's new Puzzle Fighter is out in soft launch for folks in Australia, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Mexico and Singapore.

Also in Canada

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
That promised Super Mario Run update is rolling out now with its new Remix 10 mode. The full game unlock is also 50% off until October 12th.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
OK why not

Click this link to add me as friend in Pocket Mine 3.
http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=rfng4350

rfng4350

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Added everyone from the last few pages. Here's mine:

http://www.pocketmine3.com/invite?uid=pwvg3981

pwvg3981

Montalvo fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 28, 2017