Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

ruta posted:

AST feels as solid as WHM in AoE situations, but it still does less damage when all is said and done, and it definitely does way less damage in single target situations compared to both healers. Players probably don't notice this, or think their cards are making up for it. Unfortunately, it's difficult to really assess the DPS cards are bringing to your group. While they probably are making up for the DPS gap and more in a strong 8-man group, they're most likely not in a weak group.

Which is to say, AST's strengths like in the strengths of your group, which isn't a bet I really want to take while pugging. That doesn't mean you can't enjoy AST; it still gets the job done and if you like it, go for it.

See, to me AST feels a lot like WHM, but with more options and more stuff to do. You have a bunch of spells that are roughly equivalent to WHM spells, plus you have cards, plus you can switch between regens and shields out of combat. The tradeoff, of course, is that your stuff typically is just a bit weaker than WHM's, and critically, you don't have an AOE in level 50 dungeons which can make the 50/60 roulette a pain in the rear end. Also, Holy comes with a mini-stun that makes it ridiculously spammable against dungeon trash, while Gravity just does damage, which means your tank is still getting beat up, which means you'll have to pause to heal them at some point.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A crazy idea I have been throwing around: Being able to swap between stances on the fly during combat.

Alt: A button that does both effects for fifteen seconds or so

Alt alt: a cooldown that inverts the effect of your next spell cast.

I can't see the developers making it possible to mix shield and regen effects in combat, unless they nerf the crap out of them. Which would be less than helpful, it would just be another layer of work to get the same results you're getting with current AST.

Maybe using a minor arcana card could throw out an Aspected Helios (for Lord)/Benefic (for Lady) of the opposite sect that you're in? That might make it Actually Useful for something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't see SE ever letting AST switch stances in combat but I think a cooldown that switches your stance for one spell would be cool and good.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Lizard Wizard posted:

Welp, had a luminous crystal drop from the first FATE I attempted. gently caress it, I'm doing this.

this really nice guy i met on the street gave me this bag of awesome drugs

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

You shouldn't do anima but if you do do it, which you shouldn't, you should know that you can work on the FATE step on any class, it doesn't have to be the one you want the weapon for. Just in case you were doing something excruciating like trying to solo fates as a blm or something

Don't do anima though

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Wait until 4.1 to do anima, they might make it easier. I think they did for the ARR relic in 3.1.

Right now, I pretty much don't think you'll get past the anima light farm unless you want to do 24/7 level 60 dungeons for like a week.

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

Best place to farm the light is in A1S, an unsynched party can get it done in about two minutes..just don't forget to have the actual weapon equipped so that you are earning the light, rather than believing that it still gets it sitting in the inventory.

:negative:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

You shouldn't do anima but if you do do it, which you shouldn't, you should know that you can work on the FATE step on any class, it doesn't have to be the one you want the weapon for. Just in case you were doing something excruciating like trying to solo fates as a blm or something

Don't do anima though

I'll probably work on the Anima weapon after I finish my Zodiac one, but mercifully the Rhongonimant and the Hyper Conductive variant are the only 2 appearances that are remotely good for Dragoons for that series of Relic Weapons

Bolow fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Sep 26, 2017

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I've done half of the Zodiac books on the way to Excalibur and Aegis Shield, but it's definitely a side project. I was doing the PLD anima during HW, because I thought I should, and then I stalled out at the Umbrite phase, even with the cost nerf. I don't really like the PLD anima, so I just let it go. I wouldn't mind seeing the end of the story one day, though. I suppose I could just watch cutscenes on Youtube.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
AST cards aren't worth it in 4-man dungeons compared to the vastly higher personal damage output, MP efficiency, and safety that WHM offers. They're a lot better in raids because of the 8-way spread, and the effect kind of has to be balanced around 8-man raids.

e: ASTs do have some advantages even in 4-man dungeons which might appeal to you because of your playstyle--they play nicer with Blood Price, they actually do have a solid stun without a cast time in Celestial Opposition, earthly star is actually just stupendously overpowered, and noct aspected benefic is the best healing gcd in the game.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Sep 26, 2017

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Noct Aspected Benefic feels super pointless to cast in dungeons except between pulls. The shield + heal is the same potency as Benefic 2 but Aspected Benefic is costs 50% more MP in exchange for being instant. I don't know why you would ever want to go with that over the much more useful regens from Diurnal.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I'm considering having a go at this again. I think I petered off around 40 last time. I know you have to be 50 to unlock red mage, but were I to start fresh on a new server would I have to unlock red mage again, assuming I got my old character to 50?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

If you want to start with a new character you would still have to level it to 50 in a different class to unlock red mage, progress isn't shared between characters.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

WrightOfWay posted:

Noct Aspected Benefic feels super pointless to cast in dungeons except between pulls. The shield + heal is the same potency as Benefic 2 but Aspected Benefic is costs 50% more MP in exchange for being instant. I don't know why you would ever want to go with that over the much more useful regens from Diurnal.

wait what

diurnal benefic 2 is 650 * 1.1 = 715 potency

noct aspected benefic is (200 + (200 * 2.5) * 1.15) = 775 potency

right? i actually don't know, you seem pretty confident about this

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
furthermore:

- mana is functionally infinite in dungeons unless you're being very inefficient or people are dying
- diurnal aspected benefic kind of ticks too slowly to be useful in megapulls
- between earthly star and essential dignity, why do you need a regen in dungeon boss fights
- big instant cast heals are useful if you miscalculate a gcd, which i guess you could be much better than me, but i mess up every now and then
- instant cast aspected benefics allow easy weaving of ogcds, which ast is swimming in
- benefic 2 spam doesn't allow you time to use: cards, card specials, earthly star, essential dignity, celestial opposition, probably other stuff without clipping
- shields don't generate enmity
- shields don't overheal
- seriously, a lot of that regen will be overheal almost all of the time

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shy posted:

If you want to start with a new character you would still have to level it to 50 in a different class to unlock red mage, progress isn't shared between characters.

Okay, second question. Are there any stupid things you can do by accident at character creation and is the EU guild still active?

Edit: Also things to remember to do early on to make life not bad.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
also, since ast's only instant cast dps GCD is a 30 second dot (white mages have theirs at 18 seconds, scholars can use ruin 2 or miasma 2 as an instant cast filler) it's kind of nice to have something productive to do if you have to run around for a bit. in particular, noct aspected benefic will keep a tank topped while he's running a long way to pick up mobs (like at the beginning of doma castle), without causing enmity problems. diurnal aspected benefic won't.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Okay, second question. Are there any stupid things you can do by accident at character creation and is the EU guild still active?

You could pick a Lalafell

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Not really and the EU guild is doing well as far as I've heard. Things to do early: unlocking a mount and a challenge log.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Absolutely nothing you do during character creation matters save for determining your appearance and starting city.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Reiterpallasch posted:

wait what

diurnal benefic 2 is 650 * 1.1 = 715 potency

noct aspected benefic is (200 + (200 * 2.5) * 1.15) = 775 potency

right? i actually don't know, you seem pretty confident about this

No I did the math wrong. There's a 50 base potency difference.

For everything else it mostly comes down to GCD efficiency. Diurnal Aspected is way more healing per GCD and in big pulls overhealing is never an issue.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
you can't stack regens though, while shields can be reapplied as soon as they get chewed through, and a. benefic should be your spam heal option for all the reasons i mentioned above.

either way exdr is easy enough you should play however is fun, but i guarantee you i'd get better personal numbers on noct than diurnal if you're into big dick dps parsing on easy content

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
you call that a knife? this is a knife

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

cheetah7071 posted:

You could pick an Au Ra

ftfy

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
I guess it's dress like a pirate day?

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Catgirl postin? Catgirl postin.

Yellow :sun:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Boogalo posted:

Catgirl postin? Catgirl postin.

Yellow :sun:

Huh. What is that second outfit?

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
isn't that one of the dresses you get for getting hitched? don't know which one, though

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
yeah it's a dyed wedding dress it looks like

Xillah
Nov 29, 2002

I paid $10 to change some guys avatar to an Oblivion Elf with giant tits just to steal this gif

Illuminated Rodent posted:

So I just wrapped up ARR and my God who thought it was a good idea to put a credit roll in the game as a cut scene after the game had already had a credit roll earlier in the MSQ. I guess they were *REALLY* proud they unfucked 1.0.

gently caress man, I did that the other day. Was ready for bed as it happened and it seemed to last forever.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

yeah it's a dyed wedding dress it looks like

Yeah, the platinum tier one. When weddings launched, the bracelets were tradeable so I bought two from some dude desperate for cash for 1.5m each. Good purchase. I paid for them from my patch day aetherlouse sales.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Reiterpallasch posted:

you can't stack regens though, while shields can be reapplied as soon as they get chewed through, and a. benefic should be your spam heal option for all the reasons i mentioned above.

either way exdr is easy enough you should play however is fun, but i guarantee you i'd get better personal numbers on noct than diurnal if you're into big dick dps parsing on easy content

You can stack a diurnal Aspected Helios on top of an Aspected Benefic though.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Always wish for blessed greased +2 silver dragon scale mail. Even when you're already a dragon.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Saint Freak posted:

Always wish for blessed greased +2 silver dragon scale mail. Even when you're already a dragon.

what if you're a monk!!! shoulda gotten those blessed fireproof +2 boots of speed!!!!!

e: yoship please expand the Cheap Dungeon into a simplistic nethack clone

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A crazy idea I have been throwing around: Being able to swap between stances on the fly during combat.

Alt: A button that does both effects for fifteen seconds or so

Alt alt: a cooldown that inverts the effect of your next spell cast.

While the idea is appealing on first reading, this is exactly the direction I think AST shouldn't go in. AST heals fine, maybe even the best of all the healers. My issue with AST is that its DPS is really low. We're talking 300 DPS lower than WHM, and 500 DPS lower than SCH in single target situations. And this is across a wide number of percentiles. I don't know how much lower they are in AoE situations because I have no good statistical data, but they are lower than WHM by a fair margin for sure.

And the questions I'm always left wondering are: Do cards make up for this? And in what situations? Because the amount of damage an AST can bring to a good 8-man group is much more than what an AST can bring to a standard DF 4-man group.

I personally think the AST personal DPS is weighted a little too heavily by what it can potentially bring to a good group. It should probably get a minor potency increase on its spells. Say 10 potency more on Malefic 3 (keep in mind it lost two dots and 20 potency on Malefic 2 in SB), or another dot, or maybe 50 more (damage) potency on Earthly Star.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Fun fact: I started the game as a conjurer because I wanted to play a White Mage. I leveled to 15 went exploring other cities. I then deleted the character and rerolled as an arcanist so I could have Limsa as my starting city. At 15, I just switched back to conjurer and leveled from there.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

ruta posted:

While the idea is appealing on first reading, this is exactly the direction I think AST shouldn't go in. AST heals fine, maybe even the best of all the healers. My issue with AST is that its DPS is really low. We're talking 300 DPS lower than WHM, and 500 DPS lower than SCH in single target situations. And this is across a wide number of percentiles. I don't know how much lower they are in AoE situations because I have no good statistical data, but they are lower than WHM by a fair margin for sure.

And the questions I'm always left wondering are: Do cards make up for this? And in what situations? Because the amount of damage an AST can bring to a good 8-man group is much more than what an AST can bring to a standard DF 4-man group.

I personally think the AST personal DPS is weighted a little too heavily by what it can potentially bring to a good group. It should probably get a minor potency increase on its spells. Say 10 potency more on Malefic 3 (keep in mind it lost two dots and 20 potency on Malefic 2 in SB), or another dot, or maybe 50 more (damage) potency on Earthly Star.

The way to compare contributed DPS is to compare the party DPS of parties with astros vs ones without. It's kind of a pain in the rear end though

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

ruta posted:

It depends heavily on the group quality, the fight length (since you're guaranteed to catch openers with a card), and your own luck, but eyeballing it on fflogs seems to suggest perhaps a raid dps increase of maybe 500-700 due to AST cards, which puts them inline

It's not quite as simple as spell potency though. The actual, practical difference between AST and WHM/SCH isn't the 300/500 that fflogs suggests, because 100th percentile fflogs basically assume the other healer is solo healing and you get to go full striking dummy mode. Practically, because maelific III is worse than broil ii and stone iv, if a heal could be cast by either healer, the AST should be doing it. If you want to buff AST in 4-man content without making the best 8-man healer better, i'd think about buffing Gravity or maaaaaybe extended/empowered cards.

cheetah7071 posted:

The way to compare contributed DPS is to compare the party DPS of parties with astros vs ones without. It's kind of a pain in the rear end though

e: i wonder how sound this is statistically, since right now a party that doesn't contain an AST is probably less likely to care about their logs performance

e2: also holy moly sch needs a 4-man buff more than ast does, geez louise

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Sep 27, 2017

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Bolow posted:

I'll probably work on the Anima weapon after I finish my Zodiac one, but mercifully the Rhongonimant and the Hyper Conductive variant are the only 2 appearances that are remotely good for Dragoons for that series of Relic Weapons

If you don't want an energy dragon on your spear why are you even playing Dragoon.

Pyramid schema
Aug 14, 2017
Since everyone's sharing pictures of their characters again I guess I'll break up all the catgirl posts with my midlander guy. Though this is an old photo from a year back during Midas.

Though my current set is the Second Coil gear in preparation for the pain that will be Ultimate Coil in a month. Also, the Lost Allagan Greatsword looks really nice dyed red with the High Allagan set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
SCH is also in an awkward place. In many ways, I think it's probably in the best spot outside of 4-mans for healers, though (even probably the best healer in the feast, not that we were talking about PvP). It's true that part of its high personal DPS numbers are due to the fact that its GCD heals are so lovely that it falls on the other healer, but SCH also has Chain Strategem on top of their DPS. I think they're closer to WHM in o4s, outside of the extremely high rankings, and perhaps that's because there's a higher chance that they'd be expected to GCD heal sometimes. I'm sure it's more complicated than that, but you know.

But in 4-mans, yeah, SCH is behind. It'd be a relatively easy fix, though, they can just play with miasma 2. Likewise, maybe WHM's stone 4 needs more potency, and Aero 3/assize should scale to number of enemies being hit or something. Maybe make either lighter than air reduce damage. Not that hard.

I think AST is kind of a more confusing job to fix, though. I mean, yeah, you could buff gravity, or maybe give them an aero 3 equivalent pre-50 even, but it wouldn't fix how they kind of suck to play in a lovely random 8-man group. That and pug ASTs overwriting my Balance with Bowl is part of why I almost never queue as AST when I'm not with my static.

Don't get me wrong, though. I think healer balance (and tank balance?) is probably in the best place it's been since HW started. Even if I complain about AST personal DPS a lot, my real gripe is that Spread's cooldown is 30 seconds. Wish it were 15 seconds with my entire being. I just think people should know where AST's strengths are, and they're with a strong 8-man group.