Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Lord Krangdar posted:

The woman Klingon spoke better, and it seems like she is in the next few episodes based on the preview.

I don't know why, but during that whole scene I was expecting one of the Klingon house leaders to identify himself as from the House of Duras

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Christ, that other thread is toxic. So glad it's separate.

I thought Discovery was slick and engaging. The Klingons were a little silly and overbaked, but I like that they're trying something new with them. (Really, I've always thought the Klingons were mostly sort of dumb, so I'm not too attached to the old style.) I was into watching it, but the bleakness of the whole thing certainly left a bad taste in my mouth at the end. I can see the storytelling and allegorical potential there, and predict they're going to work their way back into optimism through the course of the series (It seems kind of a given TOS prequel.) In a way that could be a welcome antithesis to other serialized shows that get off on dragging their protagonists deeper into antiheroism over their run. For now, though, I'm glad we have Orville, because I'm too depressed from real-life bleakness to really want to see it be a staple of my main space opera at the moment.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zc8Co2H3w

I don't remember the palm punches being as big as the jackhammer but I guess it was

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Firebert posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6Zc8Co2H3w

I don't remember the palm punches being as big as the jackhammer but I guess it was

They still make those lovely loving videos JFC.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Re: Klingon diction: The child version in the flashback spoke perfectly well.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Bloop posted:

Re: Klingon diction: The child version in the flashback spoke perfectly well.

The Klingon diction we've heard on the show so far seems formal and dramatic, like someone acting to the back of the theatre. This is probably unintentional, but it works for me until we eventually get to a farmer Klingon tending a field who talks the same way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What annoys me is that T'Kuvma's actor, Chris Obi, is really good in American Gods.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
can someone give me a quick rundown of how enterprise depicts the various main races

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

mastershakeman posted:

can someone give me a quick rundown of how enterprise depicts the various main races

a bunch of assholes with poo poo glued to their faces

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Vulcans e judgemental assholes, humans are resentful assholes, Dinobulans are super cool 420 blaze it, Andorians are TNG Klingons, Klingons are Vikings

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah. I think I'll just pony up the $5, watch it tonight then cancel so I can actually know what I'm talking about.

The show is definitely divisive and the fanbase seems to be pretty split down the middle on it. After reading peoples' comments, my expectations are pretty low so maybe I might be pleasantly surprised, I dunno.

Yeah that wasn't worded right. Some people were suggesting that the captain is a villain and that Michael is just really lovely and unlikable. Again, I haven't actually seen it yet so I have no idea how true this is, I'm just going off what others have said.

Seems like the obvious arc here is Michael is going to get caught up serving under an ethically dubious captain who shares her "shoot first when it's logical" philosophy, she'll end up having some crises of conscience, grow as a person, then the season culminates with her leading a just mutiny having her valor restored. It's gonna be shades of that Voyager "Equinox" story that BSG ripped off improved.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I think my biggest problem with Discovery is that this is not time time for a dark, gritty, everything sucks Star Trek when, well, everything does suck so we should have hopeful, positive show.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

twistedmentat posted:

I think my biggest problem with Discovery is that this is not time time for a dark, gritty, everything sucks Star Trek when, well, everything does suck so we should have hopeful, positive show.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel. Discovery is a gritty post-9/11 thriller. It's like they took Trek and injected 24 into it, and that just makes it hopelessly behind the times. Maybe it'll veer off in a different direction, but based on these first two episodes and the preview, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Rura Penthe was a Starfleet facility, right? :v:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Vulcans e judgemental assholes, humans are resentful assholes, Dinobulans are super cool 420 blaze it, Andorians are TNG Klingons, Klingons are Vikings

so Klingons are...good?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The_Doctor posted:

What annoys me is that T'Kuvma's actor, Chris Obi, is really good in American Gods.

Holy poo poo, what a waste. It's Chris Eccleston in Thor 2 all over again.

twistedmentat posted:

It's NEVER the time for a gritty dark Star Trek.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

so Klingons are...good?

yeah the Klingomen in Enterprise were okay

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I don't get all the "Discovery is grimdark" talk. We've seen two episodes. Like c'mon.

They even inserted a speech about how it's important to explore the unknown... or that also bad too now?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Do you know of any happy upbeat stories that open with the protagonist accidentally killing someone, assaulting her mentor, lying to her friends, watching her mentor get stabbed to death and getting thrown in jail for life?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

I don't get all the "Discovery is grimdark" talk. We've seen two episodes. Like c'mon.

They even inserted a speech about how it's important to explore the unknown... or that also bad too now?

"Travel the galaxy, meet fascinating life-forms... and kill them."

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Echo Chamber posted:

Either the pilot set the tone for the series or it's a giant red herring. Either way, I challenge you to find more than a morsel of unpunished optimism in those two hours.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

McSpanky posted:

Either the pilot set the tone for the series or it's a giant red herring. Either way, I challenge you to find more than a morsel of unpunished optimism in those two hours.

There was that klingon overcoming racial and class barriers.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

McSpanky posted:

Micheal got out of her cell because she'd have died if she stayed in, and also she helped save a guy when she could have manipulated him because he was so out of it. He died anyway but that's not a punishment.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

PetraCore posted:

Micheal got out of her cell because she'd have died if she stayed in, and also she helped save a guy when she could have manipulated him because he was so out of it. He died anyway but that's not a punishment.

"We're supposed to be explorers, not soldiers!" *gets blown into the vacuum by Klingon weapons fire* :lol: If that isn't the darkest dramatic irony I don't know what is.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The majority of the first episode was optimistic and idealistic. Then a conflict was introduced so that there would be contrasting themes to make a good story out of.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

PetraCore posted:

Yeah, it's important to focus on the crimes Burnham didn't commit!

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Thom12255 posted:

The majority of the first episode was optimistic and idealistic. Then a conflict was introduced so that there would be contrasting themes to make a good story out of.

Nice try.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

Actually I'm going to say there's one great scene in the second episode. The helmsman's injured on the bridge, gets concussed, and wanders in to the brig instead of sickbay. He's clearly confused, but he says "we're explorers....we're not soldiers?!" and then the brig is promptly vented and he flys out in to space dead.

That scene's a message to all you pussy Trek fans who think this show should be about exploring new worlds or encountering new whatevers. Trek is military fiction now. Eat it, grandpa.

I just realized something...Admiral Marcus is alive and well during the time of Discovery. This is canon.

:getin:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Watching Conundrum. I love Picard still being excited about finding new intelligent life even though they've met so many already

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
This is a really cool episode.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

I'm enjoying all the vignetttes that don't seem related to the main plot. Now Picard's leaving the shields down as a show of good faith, hopefully that doesn't backfire.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I really enjoy Worf in this one

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They scanned so hard it got through the shields, now everybody's disoriented including me because the cameras were taken off their tripods

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Pakled posted:

Yeah, that's basically how I feel. Discovery is a gritty post-9/11 thriller. It's like they took Trek and injected 24 into it, and that just makes it hopelessly behind the times. Maybe it'll veer off in a different direction, but based on these first two episodes and the preview, I'm not getting my hopes up.

Echoing this sentiment. I have nothing against dark, morally ambiguous sci-fi. Heck, I really enjoy a lot of series like that. I like Battlestar Galactica and I'm a big fan of Gundam. But... that's not Star Trek.

That, and you know, shows like that are a dime a dozen. If you want dark and depressing science fiction, you don't have to look very hard. I mean hell, the vast majority of it that has been made since 9/11 is like that. Hell, even a lot of it from before then is like that. Just because other shows want gritty realism doesn't mean Star Trek should. If you do, then you're getting rid of the thing that makes Star Trek unique and different from basically everything else.

That, and real life is actually pretty depressing these days to the point where I refuse to watch the news anymore. You know... could we just get one sci-fi show that's optimistic and actually has faith in humanity? I mean, that's kind of why I wanted more Star Trek in the first place.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

AMNESIA

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

An extra who happened to be on the bridge when they lost their memory is interacting with everyone freely because he doesn't know about their intense clique anymore

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Having Riker and Ro Laren's memories erased actually seems to be helping them work through their problems

Also I'm glad they had the explicit memories wiped but the implicit ones left intact.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Wait a second is the three-pip extra we've never seen before a spy sent onboard by the other ship? I want to go back and check if he was there right before they were hit but I feel like it'd be cheating.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Worf is taking the role of captain yet everyone's still contradicting him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subyng
May 4, 2013
Shut up nerds, discovery was pretty good.