Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I got a bunch here at a reasonable price, though i never got around to using them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Have you considered using matting to fill out larger frames? You can achieve some neat effects if you don't absolutely have to have the artwork fill the frame edge-to-edge.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah, it's a consideration. I'm just interested in getting them up on my wall asap.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

If you're using mats IKEA has a wide variety of cheap but good looking frames. I've also heard good things about Michaels custom frames especially if you use a coupon, I guess they're supposed to have frequent sales there but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Snowy posted:

If you're using mats IKEA has a wide variety of cheap but good looking frames. I've also heard good things about Michaels custom frames especially if you use a coupon, I guess they're supposed to have frequent sales there but I haven't tried it yet myself.

Yeah Michael's and Joann's are great when you get the right combo and get 80% off. That's what I did last time I did a huge batch of framing. Ended up spending something around $500, though.

Edit: Nevermind, while I was gone my GF went to Kroger's and they were having a BOGO sale.

Inzombiac has a new favorite as of 06:20 on Sep 11, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Inzombiac posted:

I have a TON of pieces of art that I'd like to get framed.
Most of them are in odd dimensions because I typically by from indie artists and god forbid they keep to normal conventions.

Where is a place online where I can buy frames with custom dimensions and not have to pay $100 per?
Looking to keep it below $50 each since I only need simple black frames.

I always see miscellaneous custom framing shops in strip malls almost everywhere I look... might be worth a quick Google where you live to see if there's one nearby.

Downside is they stay in business somehow, so I'm sure they aren't that cheap.

E: whoops, old question, new page

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Recommendations for aviator style sunglasses that are less than $100? I had a pair of Von Zipper aviators that cost just over $100 that were great until my dog chewed them up. I don't mind paying the same or even a bit more for Ray Bans considering how much I wear sunglasses but my wife doesn't want me spending that much because I have other sunglasses already (Ray Ban club masters) but they weigh more than aviators and the lenses are smaller.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Humerus posted:

Recommendations for aviator style sunglasses that are less than $100? I had a pair of Von Zipper aviators that cost just over $100 that were great until my dog chewed them up. I don't mind paying the same or even a bit more for Ray Bans considering how much I wear sunglasses but my wife doesn't want me spending that much because I have other sunglasses already (Ray Ban club masters) but they weigh more than aviators and the lenses are smaller.

I looked into aviator-style sunglasses recently and in my research, found that Randolph Engineering and American Optical both had the military contract to make sunglasses at some point. Basically they make the same product to the same specifications, but because Randolph has the current military contract, it carries more “prestige” so they can charge more for essentially the same thing. Anyway, both are US companies so at least you’re not giving your money to a huge conglomerate (Luxottica: makers of Ray-ban, Oakley, Persol, and probably 85% of all sunglasses out there) or some fly-by-night factory in China.

lowcrabdiet has a new favorite as of 18:26 on Sep 18, 2017

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

lowcrabdiet posted:

I looked into aviator-style sunglasses recently and in my research, found that Randolph Engineering and American Optical both had the military contract to make sunglasses at some point. Basically they make the same product to the same specifications, but because Randolph has the current military contract, it carries more “prestige” so they can charge more for essentially the same thing. Anyway, both are US companies so at least you’re not giving your money to a huge conglomerate (Luxottica: makers of Ray-ban, Oakley, Persol, and probably 85% of all sunglasses out there) or some fly-by-night factory in China.

This is great, thanks! I was looking at Randolph too but it was harder to justify the price. AO though looks perfect. Now my only problem is that I had teardrop shaped glasses before, but I also like the look of the more square ones...maybe it's time for a change.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

Mattress/health question. I bought a Leesa mattress a little over a year ago, and it was great. Recently I developed some pain in my lower back, and I am trying to figure out how to resolve it. I have noticed that I do not have this pain when I sleep in other beds, but I only know that for short stays (1-5 days).

So, is my back pain due to my mattress? While I don't feel any obvious pits in it, it is softer in the center. Alternatively, is it possible that the pain is caused by my bed sheet folding up under my body at night which then creates an uneven surface that I am sleeping on? Or could it be my old prehistoric pillow?

Assuming that it is due to my mattress, are there any additions I could make to the bed to verify this. Once I have verified that it is the mattress, I'll happily buy a new one. My current mattress rests on this contraption.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
When sleeping in other beds, are you also not sitting in a particular chair while at home?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Etrips posted:

When sleeping in other beds, are you also not sitting in a particular chair while at home?

Correct, but that chair happens to be a Herman Miller Embody. While I did set it up myself, I do remember following the instructions that came with it.

Edit: But perhaps the issue is the sitting itself? I spend more time not sitting when I sleep in other beds. Time to buy a standing desk?

theHUNGERian has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Sep 23, 2017

Roulette
Sep 17, 2006
What's the best dishwasher on the market for under $1000? I have a GE builder grade one in my house that's a couple of years old but it's total garbage. Kind of just spits on the dishes and then heated dry doesn't do poo poo. Always have to hand dry everything as I take it out. We upgraded our fridge and washer/dryer to LG so would like to stick with them if possible unless something else great is out there.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

We just bought a new whirlpool during labor day sales and I'm really happy with it. We got it for $499 and was normally $699. The LG it replaced was a more expensive unit, but was a worthless piece of poo poo. It didn't really clean or dry and took 3-4 hours per cycle but it was really good for the environmental.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Only just under your cutoff but I am loving this dishwasher for how quiet and clean it gets stuff. Had it maybe 6 months?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Cafe-...SSJSS/207189312

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Last year I bought and installed a GE unit with a stainless tub and it's been absolutely great.

Don't pre wash your dishes, modern detergents need the crud to activate the enzymes and actually work. Plus sensors in the dishwasher tell it how long to run the cycle by looking at the water and seeing how dirty it is.

Sweethome recommends a Bosch dishwasher, which is under a thousand:

http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/

They also have an article about modern phosphate-free detergents which is a great read: http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/#use

E: we had a newer Bosch at a previous house, and I absolutely hated the thing. It stank, even after cleaning everything out and checking the trap and impeller. YMMV, but first try the solid all in one dishwasher tablets and rinse aid, and definitely ditch any liquid detergent, they don't have enzymes to break down the food.

Catatron Prime has a new favorite as of 00:00 on Sep 26, 2017

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
This is not entirely a request, but is Sweet home/Wirecutter still reliable now that they're owned by the NY times?

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Eh, they're hit or miss... but it's always been that way. It's the same staff.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If nothing else their who needs this and why these things are good sections are useful so you can understand what to look for if you go your own way.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OSU_Matthew posted:

They also have an article about modern phosphate-free detergents which is a great read: http://m.thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/#use

You can fix your detergents real easy by just adding phosphates back in. It makes even the cheapest detergent work amazingly well, and the environmental concerns are overstated. For reference, all the commercial and industrial places are still using phosphates too.

https://www.amazon.com/Dap-63004-Pu...osphate+cleaner

bookkeeper
Jul 14, 2010

it means "the kapital"

Asked for and received a 40 oz Hydro Flask for my birthday. Reporting in to tell you that is extremely good and cool. I am drinking a lot more water now that I can fill it up and bring it to my desk, and not lose all the ice in an hour.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I feel like looking for phosphates to buy would get me put on a list. I know you stay away from ordering a lot of nitrate heavy fertilizer, but I'll have to consult the FOOF thread to see if phosphates are safe

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

theHUNGERian posted:

Hey guys,

Mattress/health question. I bought a Leesa mattress a little over a year ago, and it was great. Recently I developed some pain in my lower back, and I am trying to figure out how to resolve it. I have noticed that I do not have this pain when I sleep in other beds, but I only know that for short stays (1-5 days).

So, is my back pain due to my mattress? While I don't feel any obvious pits in it, it is softer in the center. Alternatively, is it possible that the pain is caused by my bed sheet folding up under my body at night which then creates an uneven surface that I am sleeping on? Or could it be my old prehistoric pillow?

Assuming that it is due to my mattress, are there any additions I could make to the bed to verify this. Once I have verified that it is the mattress, I'll happily buy a new one. My current mattress rests on this contraption.

Exercise is working wonders for my back.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Sentient Data posted:

I feel like looking for phosphates to buy would get me put on a list. I know you stay away from ordering a lot of nitrate heavy fertilizer, but I'll have to consult the FOOF thread to see if phosphates are safe

Nah. TSP is used as a deck and outdoor house cleaner. You can buy a big container of it at Home Depot.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

baquerd posted:

You can fix your detergents real easy by just adding phosphates back in. It makes even the cheapest detergent work amazingly well, and the environmental concerns are overstated. For reference, all the commercial and industrial places are still using phosphates too.

https://www.amazon.com/Dap-63004-Pu...osphate+cleaner

Granted farmers bear the brunt of the responsibility for toxic algae blooms, but this is an issue year after year for the great lakes as well as most of the other lakes around me as well. Please don't add more unnecessary phosphates to the water supply, thank you.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Comatoast posted:

Exercise is working wonders for my back.

What kind of exercise? I'm a regular jogger, but I'm jogging on asphalt which is probably among the worst surfaces to run on for my back and my knees.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I'm looking for a sunrise wake up light. I bought a cheap one off Amazon but it's not up to par. The light doesn't come on gradually - it just turns on (despite the product description saying otherwise)

Things it needs to have:
1) Ability to turn off the clock face completely. It seems like none of the Phillips ones do this (wtf Phillips, I want a dark room)
2) Gradually gets brighter before the alarm time, preferably with a customizable duration.

Anyone know a good one?

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

I'm looking for a sunrise wake up light. I bought a cheap one off Amazon but it's not up to par. The light doesn't come on gradually - it just turns on (despite the product description saying otherwise)

Things it needs to have:
1) Ability to turn off the clock face completely. It seems like none of the Phillips ones do this (wtf Phillips, I want a dark room)
2) Gradually gets brighter before the alarm time, preferably with a customizable duration.

Anyone know a good one?

Buy a Phillips Hue kit or a LIFX bulb and set up a sunrise alarm via the apps.

https://www.lifx.com/blogs/the-latest/how-to-create-a-wake-up-schedule

http://notsealed.com/diy-wake-up-light-sunrise-alarm-clock-philips-hue.html

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Also if you use Sleep As Android you can use its wake up detection to trigger a hue's light up alarm, so it will actually time its light to begin when you're in a light sleep cycle rather than just a hard 20 minutes or whatever

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

[quote="“.Z.”" post="“476815819”"]
Buy a Phillips Hue kit or a LIFX bulb and set up a sunrise alarm via the apps.

https://www.lifx.com/blogs/the-latest/how-to-create-a-wake-up-schedule

http://notsealed.com/diy-wake-up-light-sunrise-alarm-clock-philips-hue.html
[/quote]

Wow thanks, this looks like a perfect solution. Out of the two, which is more granular/gradual? I want it to be able to start as close as possible to dark and very gradually get brighter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Sentient Data posted:

Also if you use Sleep As Android you can use its wake up detection to trigger a hue's light up alarm, so it will actually time its light to begin when you're in a light sleep cycle rather than just a hard 20 minutes or whatever

I use Sleep as Android + hue bulbs, it is pretty nice.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

dantheman650 posted:

Wow thanks, this looks like a perfect solution. Out of the two, which is more granular/gradual? I want it to be able to start as close as possible to dark and very gradually get brighter.

Honestly I'm not sure. Only thing I know is the LIFX bulbs are brighter.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Hue can only dim to 5% brightness at the minimum, I don't know if LIFX can do better.

But 5% red is pretty dim, in night-light mode I can just barely see enough to move around the room.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
We've got a baby on the way and have two cats. I want to start preparing the cats to not go into the babies room as much as possible.

We will be doing our best to keep a vigilant eye but cats are sneaky.

Is there any device or product that you would recommend to condition the cats to avoid or ignore that room? They are very people centric so we are worries about them smothering the new born.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Maybe a baby gate or one of those cans that scares pets with compressed air blasts.

PetSafe SSSCAT Spray Deterrent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000RIA95G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jR8ZzbYNMBY0F

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

I've decided I want to dabble in listening to unusual things at night. I'm thinking (a) a police scanner and/or (b) a shortwave radio; I've always been fascinated by numbers stations (for example) but haven't heard anything other than recordings.

Any suggestions?

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've decided I want to dabble in listening to unusual things at night. I'm thinking (a) a police scanner and/or (b) a shortwave radio; I've always been fascinated by numbers stations (for example) but haven't heard anything other than recordings.

Any suggestions?

There are apps to stream police scanner channels (I'm guessing it's volunteers/hobbyists who have a scanner and put the livestream online): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scannerradio&hl=en

When I see a police chase or a line of fire trucks I fire it up to find out what's going on. I can only understand it about half the time since I don't know the jargon

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

lowcrabdiet posted:

There are apps to stream police scanner channels (I'm guessing it's volunteers/hobbyists who have a scanner and put the livestream online): https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.scannerradio&hl=en

When I see a police chase or a line of fire trucks I fire it up to find out what's going on. I can only understand it about half the time since I don't know the jargon

Yeah, I actually played around with one of those apps last night (this one, which has the absolute dumbest splash screen art you could imagine), and it was great fun (the app even had a little button you can press to open up a lexicon of the codes they use, etc.). Apparently some drunk guy was just tearing up a Walgreens last night and one of the employees "hit him with a pole" to try and get him to stop, lmao

I'm specifically wanting to play around with an actual physical scanner, though, as part of the experience, and not be tethered to my phone or browser.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

Yeah, I actually played around with one of those apps last night (this one, which has the absolute dumbest splash screen art you could imagine), and it was great fun (the app even had a little button you can press to open up a lexicon of the codes they use, etc.). Apparently some drunk guy was just tearing up a Walgreens last night and one of the employees "hit him with a pole" to try and get him to stop, lmao

I'm specifically wanting to play around with an actual physical scanner, though, as part of the experience, and not be tethered to my phone or browser.

Be aware, I'm told that most services are switching or have switched to digital systems making (analog) scanners less useful than in the past.

Here's the shortwave thread which will have tons of knowledgeable folks and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions about scanners or shortwave: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2506872

The most I really ever heard from my shortwave were insane fire and brimstone doomsday preachers. They're truly terrifying.

I picked up the spanish lady a few times, though. Pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZk1tf7sX5U

AnimalChin has a new favorite as of 21:27 on Oct 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

AnimalChin posted:

Be aware, I'm told that most services are switching or have switched to digital systems making (analog) scanners less useful than in the past.

Here's the shortwave thread which will have tons of knowledgeable folks and I'm sure they'd be happy to answer any questions about scanners or shortwave: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2506872

The most I really ever heard from my shortwave were insane fire and brimstone doomsday preachers. They're truly terrifying.

I picked up the spanish lady a few times, though. Pretty neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZk1tf7sX5U

Just wanted to say thanks for this - informative and helpful!