Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

How many years after 9/11 do we have to wait before a story that has some war conflict can't be dismissed as "post-9/11". Is Game of Thrones "post-9/11'?

Like, would the Dominion War be "GRIM DARK post-9/11" had it aired a few years later?

Yes, I know what people will say. There were many non-dark episodes of DS9 where the Federation ideals were tested but prevailed. I know that. People are throwing the weirdest shade at a show with two episodes. Like... why?

The clock would start ticking on that after we manage to end any of the wars we started for 9/11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

fadam posted:

Because it sucks, next question.

I don't really see how its unreasonable to look at the portrayal of the Klingons in STD and see how they're basically all of middle class America's anxieties about the Middle East combined.

also quoting this for the next page.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Echo Chamber posted:

How many years after 9/11 do we have to wait before a story that has some war conflict can't be dismissed as "post-9/11". Is Game of Thrones "post-9/11'?

Like, would the Dominion War be "GRIM DARK post-9/11" had it aired a few years later?

Yes, I know what people will say. There were many non-dark episodes of DS9 where the Federation ideals were tested but prevailed. I know that. People are throwing the weirdest shade at a show with two episodes. Like... why?

"In the Pale Moonlight" wasn't the first episode of DS9.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Pakled posted:

"In the Pale Moonlight" wasn't the first episode of DS9.
The first scene of DS9 is Wolf 359.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Echo Chamber posted:

The problem I have with Discovery isn't the presence of war, it's the fact that the entire series appears to be a vehicle for justifying war crimes and subverting the ideals of the Federation because "we're at war now, we can't afford to be soft, the terrorists Klingons won't get away with this :911:"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

The premier of DS9 asks the question how can both always move forward in time while being stuck in one moment?

The premier of STD asks if you were on Seal Team 6, you'd have aced Bin Laden too, right?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Echo Chamber posted:

I dont know. How many years did we wait until we could stop saying things were influenced by WW2 or Vietnam.

Turns out big cultural events have their way of being worked into art and entertainment.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

The premier of DS9 asks the question how can both always move forward in time while being stuck in one moment?

The premier of STD asks if you were on Seal Team 6, you'd have aced Bin Laden too, right?

I love this, quoting it to remember.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Total crackpot conspiracy theory here, but if I was someone with the right influence and hated leftist ideology, I might just try to influence a show featuring a hippy dippy peace-loving leftist utopian future to become increasingly jingoistic and conservative.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Pakled posted:

The problem I have with Discovery isn't the presence of war, it's the fact that the entire series appears to be a vehicle for justifying war crimes and subverting the ideals of the Federation because "we're at war now, we can't afford to be soft, the terrorists Klingons won't get away with this :911:"

Nah, the entire series is probably going to be an episode of Trek where we learn the errors of those ways, except rather than wrap it up in an hour, they are going to belabor the inevitable over the course of a full year because they want to imitate "prestige" television.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Mike the TV posted:

Total crackpot conspiracy theory here, but if I was someone with the right influence and hated leftist ideology, I might just try to influence a show featuring a hippy dippy peace-loving leftist utopian future to become increasingly jingoistic and conservative.

Not in MY Hollywo- oh, oh poo poo.

(A great poster for a terrible movie.)

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Nah, the entire series is probably going to be an episode of Trek where we learn the errors of those ways, except rather than wrap it up in an hour, they are going to belabor the inevitable over the course of a full year because they want to imitate "prestige" television.

If this were TNG, Michael Burnham would be the guest character on trial for starting an incident with the Klingons, and it would end with Picard speech-shaming her and end on a bittersweet note that one day she may redeem herself.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Did we even watch the same premiere? It ended with Michael expressing remorse for her actions. And an implication that the narrative wasn't endorsing her actions.

Like... I just don't get the hate. I was entertained by these two episodes. Like... I get the feeling people are projecting what they think would be awful Trek onto this whole show based on two hours that weren't that bad and weren't more "grimdark" or "post-9/11" than where we've seen Trek go before.

And I remembered he Trek thread hive mind decided Into Darkness was good back when it came out, even though I knew at that time that it was garbage.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Echo Chamber posted:

Did we even watch the same premiere? It ended with Michael expressing remorse for her actions. And an implication that the narrative wasn't endorsing her actions.

Like... I just don't get the hate. I was entertained by these two episodes. Like... I get the feeling people are projecting what they think would be awful Trek onto this whole show based on two hours that weren't that bad and weren't more "grimdark" or "post-9/11" than where we've seen Trek go before.

And I remembered he Trek thread hive mind decided Into Darkness was good back when it came out, even though I knew at that time that it was garbage.

Apparently we didn't, because it was fundamentally terrible, from the writing to the cinematography to the characterizations to the plot. Even if it didn't wear the name, it'd be bad television.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Echo Chamber posted:

I absolutely got the impression that the narrative was endorsing her actions. She's ultimately vindicated that the Klingons were going to start a war no matter what and they would have been better off launching a preemptive strike, she's forgiven by her captain remarkably easily, the smug, obstinate admiral who wanted peace gets his ship blown up for his efforts, and the bureaucratic stiffs who throw our protagonist in prison for doing what needs to be done appear all dark and shadowy. Our protagonist is a black female Jack Bauer.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Pakled posted:

I absolutely got the impression that the narrative was endorsing her actions. She's ultimately vindicated that the Klingons were going to start a war no matter what and they would have been better off launching a preemptive strike, she's forgiven by her captain remarkably easily, the smug, obstinate admiral who wanted peace gets his ship blown up for his efforts, and the bureaucratic stiffs who throw our protagonist in prison for doing what needs to be done appear all dark and shadowy. Our protagonist is a black female Jack Bauer.

The show also punishes her for the mutiny, not killing the guy she specifically said herself they shouldn't kill so he doesn't become a martyr and instead capture

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Game of Thrones is post 5/22

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Pakled posted:

Be precise, the Admiral's ship was torn in half by an enormous spiky Klingon ship ramming it head-on. Then he blew himself up as a last ditch act of resistance against a foreign invader. :ironicat: Or alternately, he blew himself up to save his comrades from a bald enemy flying a supership while wearing a spiky black dress.. Personally I am reminded of the worst movie in the Trek franchise by this moment and that's why this is so off-putting. Yeah it's only two episodes but man, those two episodes, especially the second episode, recall all the worst elements of Nemesis and what came after for Trek. How many times is the captain going to teleport over to nobly sacrifice him/herself in single combat against the spiky black enormous ship? Nemesis? Trek 2009? Into Darkness? Now Discovery. Not good company to keep.

By the end of Battle of the Binary Stars I was wishing they'd go back to the kinda stilted first half-hour of The Vulcan Hello. "After action report: Captain Georgieou and Commander Burnham transported to the alien ship to defuse the situation by giving the Klingon leader a Vulcan Hello."

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Sep 27, 2017

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DSC Season 1, episode 1 "The Vulcan Hello"

Oh my gosh you guys, this is so bad.

I'll note this is exactly what I said about DS9's premiere, so... I don't know. :shrug:

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pakled posted:

Everyone on the crew, including the main character by the end of the episode, thought that she was in the wrong. Do we need Rod Serling to come out at the end of the episode and explain that the ends don't justify the means and revenge isn't the answer for you to trust what all the characters on the show are saying?

The bad guy wants to unite his people. He views nationalism as the quickest means to that end. Since his people are warriors, instead of yelling "build the wall", he forces his people into a war so they can work together toward a common goal. Its like the evil version of Darmok. The main character isn't perfect and for a while falls into his trap, as did many Starfleet personnel by doing what was expected of them and the Klingon leaders by letting this crap escalate into a war they didn't want.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I think there is something to be said for taking the time to fully explore an issue instead of just taking it as fact. Sometimes its fine to have Kirk say that Space Nazis are bad and move on, but other times its nice to have Starship Troopers say "OK, if we give the Space Nazis the benefit of the doubt and set up a fascist utopia for them to live in, would they still be assholes?" and then slowly explain that yes, in almost every way are they assholes.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

e: wrong thread. im gay

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Sep 27, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm glad we made a new thread, I looked into the STD one for a bit and :yikes:

I'll just hang out here with you guys.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Some stuff I'm curious about from the STD pilot that I hope gets explored, plus speculation:
  1. The Captain is pretty strongly pacifist, but clearly has combat experience. Once things hit the fan though, she really flips the switch and even after the Klingons have stopped their attack, she's willing to give her life (or commit a war crime by booby trapping a fallen soldier) to strike back. More than the main character's mutiny and martyring of the Klingon, I'm going to have a problem with this if it isn't at least commented on.
  2. At one point Michael is unable to get free from a Klingon she's grappling with and gouges his eye out with her thumb. I'd never considered it before, but Vulcans seem like if they can't beat you with their intellect or super strength then they'd be the dirtiest fighters. "It is logical to immediately kick your opponent in the testicles, for it is the quickest and safest way to ensure victory." :geno:
  3. T'Kuvma strikes me as a leader of a religious house, that has no place on the council but is using what is supposed to be honorary authority to advance his agenda (as has happened in several irl cultures). The other Klingons seem annoyed by him, but have to appear at his summons or face backlash.
  4. Is T'Kuvma an ancestor of Duras? Klingon cloaking technology has previously been shown to originate with the Romulans and T'Kuvma has shown that he'll do whatever it takes to achieve his unification war. Romulan intervention would also explain his rise from nothing.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Cat Hatter posted:

I think there is something to be said for taking the time to fully explore an issue instead of just taking it as fact. Sometimes its fine to have Kirk say that Space Nazis are bad and move on, but other times its nice to have Starship Troopers say "OK, if we give the Space Nazis the benefit of the doubt and set up a fascist utopia for them to live in, would they still be assholes?" and then slowly explain that yes, in almost every way are they assholes.

Even if this is how it turns out, I neither want nor should be expected to tolerate an entire series or season to handhold me through this process like we're all learning it for the first loving time, especially from the central protagonists' perspective. And the two-parter pilot already misfired in the attempt.

Even these most optimistic assessments merely present like a tedious retread of better attempts, in more appropriate settings, with almost certainly more effective results in the final tally. Star Trek Discovery -- you'll endure it!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

:agreed:

Also, The Orville is way more delightful than I expected it to be. The comedy barely works, but I'm actually enjoying it as a Star Trek show.

You can tell Seth actually really loves TNG, the problem being his ego is so big he thinks he can be a leading man and he really can't pull it off.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

McSpanky posted:

Even if this is how it turns out, I neither want nor should be expected to tolerate an entire series or season to handhold me through this process like we're all learning it for the first loving time, especially from the central protagonists' perspective. And the two-parter pilot already misfired in the attempt.

Even these most optimistic assessments merely present like a tedious retread of better attempts, in more appropriate settings, with almost certainly more effective results in the final tally. Star Trek Discovery -- you'll endure it!

Best-case scenario, we're going to waste a season just getting the main character to the point where "Ensign Ro" started...

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

McSpanky posted:

You are aware that a bunch of people in this country are currently on the opposite side of this issue right now? poo poo, I watch people arguing about how NFL players shouldn't have the freedom to express dissent against the government because it disrespects the national anthem and I think they would be fine just having the show repeat Kirk explaining the Constitution to a bunch of backwards savages that worship it but don't understand the words.

(This is probably getting a bit too political, but this is probably what the show runners wanted so mission accomplished?)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Grand Fromage posted:

Had I known that thread would become an outlet for 4-5 obnoxious shitposters, I'd have just filled the OP with FYAD gifs and Enterprise theme mashups.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Trying to imitate "prestige" television would explain a lot.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cat Hatter posted:

Everyone on the crew, including the main character by the end of the episode, thought that she was in the wrong. Do we need Rod Serling to come out at the end of the episode and explain that the ends don't justify the means and revenge isn't the answer for you to trust what all the characters on the show are saying?

The bad guy wants to unite his people. He views nationalism as the quickest means to that end. Since his people are warriors, instead of yelling "build the wall", he forces his people into a war so they can work together toward a common goal. Its like the evil version of Darmok. The main character isn't perfect and for a while falls into his trap, as did many Starfleet personnel by doing what was expected of them and the Klingon leaders by letting this crap escalate into a war they didn't want.

That is a good point. I guess only time will tell whether they use this serialized format to explore ideas or just eat up time with manufactured soap-opera drama.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I didn't even think the pilot was that bad, it just didn't seem like Star Trek. It's not like a somewhat darker take on things than TNG can't work, DS9 did it but still felt like Trek. There's a reason why lots of us think In the Pale Moonlight is the best Trek episode when it's also one of the darkest ones. We'll see how it goes from here.

Honestly I think part of what it was missing and why it doesn't feel Trekky was the lack of ensemble. There's Captain Frenchname, Michael, and weird face science guy. The entire rest of the crew were blank slates. There's that robot helmet thing but otherwise I have zero awareness of any of them. By the end of the other pilots you have met the whole crew and have some basic idea who they are and what's going on. Maybe that'll happen in the next episode.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

As some folks have pointed out, this first couple episodes might just play as a "prequel" to the "real" pilot, the backstory before we really get going.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Drink-Mix Man posted:

As some folks have pointed out, this first couple episodes might just play as a "prequel" to the "real" pilot, the backstory before we really get going.

This would be an obnoxious stunt in pretty much any show of any genre, unless something truly next-level incredible came of it down the line.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Well I'm gonna assume that the real ensemble cast will be in the next episode and that it'll basically just be Michael and the competent fishman that carry over.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It would make sense to be in the next episode since they weren't even on the Discovery yet. But I do think that was part of why it didn't feel like Trek and am hoping that bringing in other characters will change that. It shouldn't be all resting on a single character.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Grand Fromage posted:

It would make sense to be in the next episode since they weren't even on the Discovery yet. But I do think that was part of why it didn't feel like Trek and am hoping that bringing in other characters will change that. It shouldn't be all resting on a single character.
What, an ensemble show with multiple strong characters? Ridiculous! You're just being pointlessly nostalgic for the bygone days! Nowadays TV shows can only have one main character - and he has to be a middle aged dad in the process of destroying his life and other relationships!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I hope Lt. Daft Punk is a series regular on Discovery.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Pakled posted:

Our protagonist is a black female Jack Bauer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P52G4Kyq5M

god if only because this would be hilarious to watch in a star trek setting. 24 and jack bauer made for the greatest episode of pretty good

also what if we started in the mirror universe and thats why everyone seems like a mustache twirling villain now and michael comes to the real prime reality and stays :tinfoil:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I have not watched this yet but from what I'm seeing here, it's sounding like it's the first 5-10 minutes of the first episode of DS9 with the Battle of Wolf-359 except as two episodes instead of 5-10 minutes. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Steve2911 posted:

Well I'm gonna assume that the real ensemble cast will be in the next episode and that it'll basically just be Michael and the competent fishman that carry over.

It's this. The Shanzhou crew had zero character because they're essentially featured extras. The pilot is really the first three episodes and CBS should have released them as such instead of spacing it out over two weeks.