Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

OPCW seized and destroyed 1,300 metric tons of banned material. It may not have completely eliminated Assad's ability to use WMDs, but it seriously limited the scope of his capabilities, and undoubtedly saved hundreds if not thousands of lives that would have otherwise been lost. Acting like that's nothing is just ridiculous.

This is an extremely uninformed opinion rooted in partisan ideology, not fact. It didn't limit the scope of Assad's capabilities any more than he allowed it to. You ever see a Syrian, you put your head down in shame, because you cared more about political points than you did their lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Hey so how about those US politics in this here USPOL thread? Like the politics that are currently skull loving Puerto Rico, the mango madman that's talking about Puerto Rico's debt when he can finally get done Twitter-making GBS threads about football, and the truly shocking humanitarian crisis that's brewing with US citizens? Cause that's definitely a thing right now.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I'm sorry about your priapism, if only Obama had murdered enough Arabs to allow you to finally ejaculate, hey better luck these next 4 years

Shhhh, the adults are talking.

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Condiv posted:

i wasn't arguing this though? i dunno why you guys keep trying to expand my argument well beyond its scope (other than you desperately want to claim i'm wrong)

well i mean you just proved me right better than i could myself, so thanks for that. I also admitted I was wrong wrt 2012.

you didn't have an argument beyond obama bad, world violent until you googled evidence to support what you concluded in response to obamas statement and not the evidence available.

quote:

as for me complimenting you being condescension, that's just silly. that would mean i can't compliment people for traits i lack, even if i think they are good traits

ya you're a lost cause. good luck!

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

This is an extremely uninformed opinion rooted in partisan ideology, not fact.

:lol: I actually gave a fairly precise number for how much CW material OPCW destroyed. But okay, VB, keep yearning for a new golden age of neoconservatism.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

This is an extremely uninformed opinion rooted in partisan ideology, not fact. It didn't limit the scope of Assad's capabilities any more than he allowed it to. You ever see a Syrian, you put your head down in shame, because you cared more about political points than you did their lives.

Hey buck up champ, maybe Trump will slaughter a bunch of North Koreans.

I know they're not Arab or Persian, but hey they're still scary and foreign so it should be just as nice for your dick.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

:lol: I actually gave a fairly precise number for how much CW material OPCW destroyed. But okay, VB, keep yearning for a new golden age of neoconservatism.

A number that you arbitrarily weighed the importance of, and made speculative claims about based on your own politics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

skylined! posted:

you didn't have an argument beyond obama bad, world violent until you googled evidence to support what you concluded in response to obamas statement and not the evidence available.

the evidence available that you just disproved? cause your study says things were more peaceful during bush and not during the 2009-2016 period of obama's presidency (not that obama's to blame for this, in all likelihood the violence in the world during his presidency is a result of bush's policies)

seems like i was right to doubt that the world of today is more peaceful than it has ever been. especially since your study showed a p strong uptick in violence again in 2016. you can argue "well compared to all of human history..." but i clearly wasn't arguing from the scope of all of human history, or me bringing up nazis calling for jews to be gassed would be immediately recognizeable as less violent than them actually gassing them during the holocaust

quote:

ya you're a lost cause. good luck!

i wasn't condescending to you skylined. sorry

Condiv fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 27, 2017

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

Hey buck up champ, maybe Trump will slaughter a bunch of North Koreans.

I know they're not Arab or Persian, but hey they're still scary and foreign so it should be just as nice for your dick.

If you're going to be dumb and childish, and contribute nothing to the thread, could you at least try to be funny?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Volkerball posted:

A number that you arbitrarily weighed the importance of, and made speculative claims about based on your own politics.

Uh huh, did your totally real and not at all made up Syrian friend tell you that? The one who told you that John McCain is a hero to Syrian refugees?:allears:

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

If you're going to be dumb and childish, and contribute nothing to the thread, could you at least try to be funny?

Hey I sympathize, I'd be in a bad mood too if I hadn't been able to orgasm since Bush signed SOFA

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Majorian posted:

Uh huh, did your totally real and not at all made up Syrian friend tell you that? The one who told you that John McCain is a hero to Syrian refugees?:allears:

It's pretty obvious you moved the goalposts and have now given yourself a card to deny any culpability in any future chemical attack by just claiming yeah it's no good but it would've been worse without the deal, because Assad has less CW now, and his capabilities aren't what they used to be. Believe me. It's one of those ideological arguments where no matter what happens, no matter how many innocent children choke to death, you never have to re-evaluate. That's a really weak foundation for a solid objective opinion, and the bullshit coming out of your mouth is suffering for it.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

Jizz Festival posted:

You don't need to look at the price trends, you can look directly at units sold as compared to production. Also I'm not sure why you think that goods wouldn't have prices in a centrally-planned economy.

They do have prices, but those prices aren't reflective of demand or in many cases of anything. In a centrally-planned economy, the base price can start with the inputs and then what... how do you estimate subjective demand prior to selling a single a unit? Or even while selling any number of units when you're underproducing? How do you know the difference between people not buying a product because it is shoddy versus because they don't need it? How do you know people are buying a product in droves despite the fact that it's shoddy, because there are no alternatives available? How do you estimate demand for something that hasn't been invented yet (i.e. potential demand for improved technology, goods, etc)?

While it's true that inelastic demand is largely predictable (you need about 2000 calories and at least 1500ml of water to survive), elastic demand is much harder to estimate. I guess you could repeatedly poll the population, but we know from a variety of studies that polls don't actually reflect preferences in a variety of instances. Ultimately, there is no decent mechanism yet developed of estimating demand without some kind of free-market mechanic. The history of the USSR pretty much proves this. Prices even for basic goods like meat and eggs were largely political symbols. When the public grumbled, the price of meat went down, when the state felt it could raise the price, it did so. These were free-floating prices. Without competing products it was impossible to determine what was driving demand and how it was to be qualified.

There are a lot of flaws with how demand actually resolves itself in the free market. It can be manipulated, it can be unreasonable, it can drive pointless consumption. However, the ability to compare demand for two very similar products or across dissimilar products is a very powerful tool (A/B testing, if you will) that pretty much doesn't exist in centrally planned economies. It is a significant part of why each of these economies eventually fell to consumerist revolutions. If you want to avoid the same for whatever future society you'd like to build, this is something important to work out.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Hey I sympathize, I'd be in a bad mood too if I hadn't been able to orgasm since Bush signed SOFA

Do you have any real arguments or... ?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
e: Nah, nevermind. Volkerball, let's continue this in ME Pol.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 27, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Tulip posted:

Could you name such a date?

The late 90s/early 00s? You know, before the Global War on Terror, the total destabilization of the Middle East, the Great Recession, the global right-wing resurgence, nuclear Iran and North Korea, the Israeli swing toward extremism, and the new wave of Russian expansionism? To say nothing of global warming, the slow demise of the nuclear industry, the growth of the antivax movement, the dismantling of labor rights and minority protections all over the world, and more. Sure, we have iPhones now, but when it comes to peace, stability, and general prosperity, poo poo has been going downhill ever since the turn of the century.

I won't go so far as to claim that's the correct answer, though, because there is no correct answer. It's simply too large and vague a premise to meaningfully quantify or logically argue - first you have to define "best", and that's philosophy, not politics.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Main Paineframe posted:

The late 90s/early 00s? You know, before the Global War on Terror, the total destabilization of the Middle East, the Great Recession, the global right-wing resurgence, nuclear Iran and North Korea, the Israeli swing toward extremism, and the new wave of Russian expansionism? To say nothing of global warming, the slow demise of the nuclear industry, the growth of the antivax movement, the dismantling of labor rights and minority protections all over the world, and more. Sure, we have iPhones now, but when it comes to peace, stability, and general prosperity, poo poo has been going downhill ever since the turn of the century.

I won't go so far as to claim that's the correct answer, though, because there is no correct answer. It's simply too large and vague a premise to meaningfully quantify or logically argue - first you have to define "best", and that's philosophy, not politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFTLKWw542g

Shits been hosed a long time.

You just recently became aware of it.

Things today are still better than things in the past though.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Do you have any real arguments or... ?

There's no point, it's Volkerball. I engaged him in good faith exactly once, about the Iran deal, and all he did was endlessly regurgitate what Sean Hannity told him about Obummer shipping pallets of hundreds of billions of dollars to the mullahs to fund radical Islamic terrorism.

All Volkerball's neocon brain cares about is getting a dopamine rush from American bombs falling on foreign children and he will say anything he thinks will edge that closer to happening, the only thing to do when he starts going on about how bombing schools and hospitals would solve the world's problems is to mock his ghoulish murder fetish until he gets mad and goes away.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

I feel like we're really turning a corner into a multipolar world with fascism and capitalist crisis loving the world in new ways, along with global warming. Like, the future is not going to be the past and we're not going to like it. There might be a slight lag before poo poo really starts hitting and I think we're in it, like the pause after the roller coaster gets to the top of the hill or that moment right before the coyote looks down and sees that he's kept walking right off the cliff.

I don't share Obama's optimism despite his confidence that his drone strikes caused less aggregate suffering than Clinton missile strikes, is what I'm saying.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Syrian refugees:

quote:

"Not a single placard or slogan is condemning Assad. I asked them respectfully to say few words on the megaphone and they said no and tried their best to ignore my presence.

“I shouted on top of my head that Assad is our enemy. He is the Syrians’ enemy. We don’t trust Trump, for he has just banned us from entering the US, we know he’s not really fond of Syrians and definitely has an agenda behind all this.

“However, bombing the war criminals who gassed our children to death is not to be protested.”

Mr Akkad was an English teacher in Damascus by fled Syria in 2012 after he was tortured for protesting against President Assad’s regime – a story told as part of a BBC series.

Majorian and VS:

https://twitter.com/iancollinsuk/status/851185502527139841

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Sep 27, 2017

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

There's no point, it's Volkerball. I engaged him in good faith exactly once, about the Iran deal, and all he did was endlessly regurgitate what Sean Hannity told him about Obummer shipping pallets of hundreds of billions of dollars to the mullahs to fund radical Islamic terrorism.

All Volkerball's neocon brain cares about is getting a dopamine rush from American bombs falling on foreign children and he will say anything he thinks will edge that closer to happening, the only thing to do when he starts going on about how bombing schools and hospitals would solve the world's problems is to mock his ghoulish murder fetish until he gets mad and goes away.

Whatever the problems with Volkerball's arguments (and there are many), I would say that claiming that he lusts for the the deaths of foreign children is pretty much beyond the pale. It's really not consistent with his posting or arguments so far. Ultimately we'd all be pro-interventionist if it could in fact somehow shorten conflicts or protect civilians in the ME. The fact that it almost never does is the big blind spot for people like Vb.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Whatever the problems with Volkerball's arguments (and there are many), I would say that claiming that he lusts for the the deaths of foreign children is pretty much beyond the pale. It's really not consistent with his posting or arguments so far. Ultimately we'd all be pro-interventionist if it could in fact somehow shorten conflicts or protect civilians in the ME. The fact that it almost never does is the big blind spot for people like Vb.

lmao yes of course, slaughtering Syrian children is well within the bounds of polite discussion, but don't hurt warmongers with your high explosive words Vitalsigns that's just beyond the pale of civilized behavior.

Bush & Cheney publicized Iraqi refugees who had been abused by Saddam's odious government who argued that Iraqis just couldn't wait to be bombed too, how did that turn out.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So Roy Moore just won the nomination for Jeff Sessions' old U.S. Senate seat.

Leave it to the great folks of the Great State of Alabama to make the worst possible decisions.

Then again, maybe Doug Jones finally has a fighting chance of winning, now. :unsmith:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Domestic Amuse posted:

Leave it to the great folks of the Great State of Alabama to make the worst possible decisions.

Then again, maybe Doug Jones finally has a fighting chance of winning, now. :unsmith:

I think it's ultimately a lateral move. Moore's an unbelievable loon, but hey, so is Sessions, so is Strange. The only difference is, Trump and McConnell put their chips on Strange, and lost badly.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/sahilkapur/status/912883182063833088

lol

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
sorry for my part in the derail

https://twitter.com/bbcjamescook/status/912747165545488386

:allbuttons:

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

lmao yes of course, slaughtering Syrian children is well within the bounds of polite discussion, but don't hurt warmongers with your high explosive words Vitalsigns that's just beyond the pale of civilized behavior.

He's saying you're beating up a straw man, child.

quote:

Bush & Cheney publicized Iraqi refugees who had been abused by Saddam's odious government who argued that Iraqis just couldn't wait to be bombed too, how did that turn out.

I'd enjoy watching you whitesplain this to Hassan, who clearly knows less about what happened in his neighboring country than you, who read an article one time. If you could not make weird references to his dick while you did it tho, I'm sure everyone on Earth would appreciate it.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Sep 27, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Look she's not exactly wrong.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

There are going to be corpses everywhere and that bloated cheeto mongrel is going to be directly responsible.

Fraction Jackson
Oct 27, 2007

Able to harness the awesome power of fractions

Main Paineframe posted:

2nd Congo War, Sierra Leone, Kosovo...there was plenty of poo poo that happened in that time.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Volkerball posted:

He's saying you're beating up a straw man, child.

No what I said about you is accurate, all you care about is American bombs falling on foreign children, your Fox news quality arguments attest to that.

Volkerball posted:

I'd enjoy watching you whitesplain this to Hassan, who clearly knows less about what happened in his neighboring country than you, who read an article one time. If you could not make weird references to his dick while you did it tho, I'm sure everyone on Earth would appreciate it.

Sure let me get on that right after you explain to 150,000+ Iraqis how actually it's good they're dead because see Bush found one Iraqi in 2002 who assured him they wanted America to tear their country apart with war, please try to keep the gleeful expression off your face when you talk about their dead families.

You're almost as good at finding a foreigner to hide behind while you justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands of them as Bush was!

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Goddamn. Is anyone leading private efforts to get food and clean water out to folks in P.R.? Please say yes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Domestic Amuse posted:

Moore might even be better because Strange agrees with Moore on every single hideous evil Republican policy, but based on his comments about GCHJ Moore sounds like a Rand Paul style loon who will oppose some stuff for insane reasons that it's not conservative enough whereas Strange is a yes-man for the GOP agenda.

Or maybe the Democrat will win and it's not the worst timeline.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah, that's not the argument I'm making. More like... VB takes crappy positions on intervention for reasons that are probably more relatable than we all care to admit.

Pembroke Fuse
Dec 29, 2008

VitalSigns posted:

Moore might even be better because Strange agrees with Moore on every single hideous evil Republican policy, but based on his comments about GCHJ Moore sounds like a Rand Paul style loon who will oppose some stuff for insane reasons that it's not conservative enough whereas Strange is a yes-man for the GOP agenda.

Democrats won't win. That state is solid red.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

VitalSigns posted:

Moore's problem is he literally doesn't believe in the rule of law, like he's explicitly said so, he believes the bible is a greater authority than the Constitution and that the Bible is the supreme law of the land over everything. And by that he means his personal interpretation of the bible.

He may very soon get to place blocks on federal court judge nominees.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

No what I said about you is accurate, all you care about is American bombs falling on foreign children, your Fox news quality arguments attest to that.

Sure let me get on that right after you explain to 150,000+ Iraqis how actually it's good they're dead because see Bush found one Iraqi in 2002 who assured him they wanted America to tear their country apart with war, please try to keep the gleeful expression off your face when you talk about their dead families.

You're almost as good at finding a foreigner to hide behind while you justify slaughtering hundreds of thousands of them as Bush was!

It's telling that you have such an Amero-centric view on the middle east that the position I'm coming at you from isn't even on your radar, so you just lump it in with FOX News. I don't support the Iraq war, and I can't recall any people like Hassan I've spoken to who do either. Rather, they have the full context of the debate, and you only have a piece. They know what Trump and some of the more hateful neocons stand for, and they know it's bad. But unlike you, they have to suffer under the dictatorships you nonchalantly ignore. They feel the pain you can simply handwave away. For them it's not that easy. They have to fight, and they need allies, so they have no choice but to work for something better. They're stuck between a rock and a hard place. But from your vantage point, all you see is a rock, no pun intended.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Sep 27, 2017

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

Domestic Amuse posted:

Goddamn. Is anyone leading private efforts to get food and clean water out to folks in P.R.? Please say yes.

It's not that simple to do..

Remember the irish potato famine?

This is Trump's Irish Potato Famine.

edit: holy poo poo I did not realize how apt comparing Puerto Rico & Ireland was but that's a spot on comparison.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 27, 2017

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Angry_Ed posted:

First off
(source)

There's nothing incorrect about that statement. Yes a lot of the world is poo poo, but it used to be a lot worse. Secondly, what is the most healthful, wealthful, and peaceful time in humanity's history, then?

The incorrect part is that Obama said it, it's like that "Obama and the robots" comic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Condiv posted:

5 years ago it wasn't this bad

Weren't you just saying.Bernie is about to save us all? If you really believe that, then it's great we're 5 years closer.

But then you'd have to agree with Obama about something... :thunk:

• Locked thread