Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

There's an odd lack of self-awareness in this post. This thread is largely about complaints regarding pop culture. It's also generally a bad idea to call people pathetic for liking different things than you (no, I didn't watch the new Powerpuff Girls)

Nah, if you think a cartoon now somehow "ruins your childhood" or whatever for doing something different than the one you watched did, you're a pathetic manchild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone who gets actually mad about cartoons over the age of 11 is pathetic.

Yeah lets get back to arguing about whether Batman would or wouldn't do a thing, like real well-adjusted adults. Or maybe we could argue about football, which is definitely a thing that only manly men do.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 27, 2017

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Having your 'childhood' be defined by a piece of media is probably not that healthy.

Just in case you forgot there's another X-Men TV show coming soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugmKzp_BpL8

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Sep 27, 2017

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yeah lets get back to arguing about whether Batman would or wouldn't do a thing, like real well-adjusted adults. Or maybe we could argue about football, which is definitely a thing that only manly men do.

No, the cartoon thing is way worse. Waaaayyyy waaaaayyyyyyy worse.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
And this week on bob's burgers...

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

The MSJ posted:

Having your 'childhood' be defined by a piece of media is probably not that healthy.

GonSmithe posted:

Nah, if you think a cartoon now somehow "ruins your childhood" or whatever for doing something different than the one you watched did, you're a pathetic manchild.

I mean, isn't basically that what the "Not my Superman" argument boils down to?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

Anyone who gets actually mad about cartoons over the age of 11 is pathetic.

Says the guy who said something like "I hate it, I hate that it was made" about at least one, I think two comic movies.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I mean, isn't basically that what the "Not my Superman" argument boils down to?

Yes, and?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I just think is odd to be so dismissive when both a good amount of the discussion on these threads and some of the most interesting discussions come from arguments that if not identical are very similar.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I just think is odd to be so dismissive when both a good amount of the discussion on these threads and some of the most interesting discussions come from arguments that if not identical are very similar.

we make fun of the "not my superman" people too

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mechafunkzilla posted:

we make fun of the "not my superman" people too

Sure, but despite that there's actually a proper conversation. Granted, superhero cartoons are probably beyond the scope this thread.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not if they are movies

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

No, the cartoon thing is way worse. Waaaayyyy waaaaayyyyyyy worse.

:yeah:

Like I understand SSB's whole "don't throw stones in glass houses" philosophy in general, but a few key points I think need to be made:

1) discussing/critiquing pop culture anything might be shallow and silly but it's significantly different than a blanket hatred of a property simply for existing and making that part of some weird identity
2) the whole "people like different things" really only applies to liking something; "people hate different things" is not a saying because it is absurd; hating things shouldn't be a hobby, if you don't like something and it's not a harmful thing like naziism then just be indifferent to it for pete's sake

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
TTG also made fun of any of the other shows with ongoing plots that teenagers liked, though. IIRC, Young Justice in part got cancelled because too many girls were watching it, which really messes with marketing's metrics for the merch nobody ever saw anyway.

Also, the new Powerpuff Girls is really bad.

On the note of green-skinned space babes, I recall some grumbling about how Gamora is basically a black woman painted green to be presentable as a love interest for a white guy. Of course, GotG also has a... mottled grey dude, a lot of blue people and some pink people in the background. Are there any cases of aliens where the person under all the makeup is obviously a non-white person or otherwise has their heritage obvious? (Only example I can think of is Garnet from Steven Universe, who's a funny case for a few reasons in context)

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I watched both Kingsman movies today and they turned out to be totally solid movies about the poor's struggles with neoliberalism.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Timby posted:

Says the guy who said something like "I hate it, I hate that it was made" about at least one, I think two comic movies.

Are you equating man of steel with a cartoon?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Inescapable Duck posted:

TTG also made fun of any of the other shows with ongoing plots that teenagers liked, though. IIRC, Young Justice in part got cancelled because too many girls were watching it, which really messes with marketing's metrics for the merch nobody ever saw anyway.

On the note of green-skinned space babes, I recall some grumbling about how Gamora is basically a black woman painted green to be presentable as a love interest for a white guy. Of course, GotG also has a... mottled grey dude, a lot of blue people and some pink people in the background. Are there any cases of aliens where the person under all the makeup is obviously a non-white person or otherwise has their heritage obvious? (Only example I can think of is Garnet from Steven Universe, who's a funny case for a few reasons in context)

Yes.

Gamora's actress, Zoe Saldana, is also famously known as the Blue Cat Lady from avatar. Which is yet another role where she gets, digitally this time, painted up to be the love interest to a white dude.

Unrelated to THAT, but connected to Zoe, Sofia Boutella gets the same treatment in Star Trek Beyond.

And I guess the Mummy could count there but that goes into this whole question about Ancient Egyptians and what race they were and that's just a whole complicated thing.

On the non female side, Klingons in general tend to not be white people. ...Now adays. We will politely ignore the makeup job done in TOS and evade thinking about that.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ahhh, and now I'm remembering the time Quark dated a Klingon. And Worf hooked up with Jadzia after playing Cyrano for them. And they all ended up in sickbay, with Bashir swearing off asking patients how they got their injuries. Good times.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Inescapable Duck posted:

Yeah I remember a pretty big fight in the cosplay community when a non-African American dressed up as Garnet and mistakenly painted her skin brown instead of red and a bunch of people went "Uhhhhh we're pretty sure that's blackface now ...?"

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

I watched both Kingsman movies today and they turned out to be totally solid movies about the poor's struggles with neoliberalism.

I haven't seen the second one yet, but the first is as pro-neoliberalism as a silly spy-movie pastiche can get.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah I remember a pretty big fight in the cosplay community when a non-African American dressed up as Garnet and mistakenly painted her skin brown instead of red and a bunch of people went "Uhhhhh we're pretty sure that's blackface now ...?"

Doesn't help that Garnet's original skin tone is... kind of riiight on the border of brown and red. (She changes it up a few times and becomes more purple at some point, though not too much as to not overlap with Amethyst)

Though this is also the fanbase that drove an artist to attempt suicide for drawing one character allegedly too skinny. There's a reason tumblr has earned itself a reputation as 4chan's mirror twin.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Sep 27, 2017

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Karloff posted:

I haven't seen the second one yet, but the first is as pro-neoliberalism as a silly spy-movie pastiche can get.

Both movies involve antagonists who are liberals (they oppose climate change or the war on drugs) and plan on solving these problems by slaughtering the poor.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Inescapable Duck posted:

Let me tell you something, as someone who's recently watched some of both with my kid, it is miles ahead of the old series. It's bad but Jesus Christ the old series didn't hold up and is terrible. Every episode is basically a lesson in mysoginy or transphobia. It's the kind of "feminism" that's like "Girl power! But not those kinds of girls. Or those. Or those. Or those." If those original episodes were being made today parents would write in and try to get it yanked off the air.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

...eh? Wasn't it the new show getting hammered for transphobia? And not sure where you got misogyny or transphobia out of an episode that is an extended Beatles biopic with supervillainy instead of music.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I watched Kingsmen 1 for Samuel L Jackson being the villain

I probably won't watch Kingsmen 2

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
But Julianne Moore is way cooler than SLJ :confused:

Though I'm skipping Kingsmen 2 because it sounds like it doubled down on all the parts of the first one that I didn't like.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Is there anything that comes close to the sheer insanity of the church fight in the first one? I'm assuming they at least try, at some point.

Serf
May 5, 2011

thrawn527 posted:

Is there anything that comes close to the sheer insanity of the church fight in the first one? I'm assuming they at least try, at some point.

No, but the action scenes as a whole were better this time around. The movie overall isn't as good, though Julianne Moore's performance and her whole deal were very fun.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It feels like Julianne Moore, Jeff Bridges, Halle Berry & Channing Tatum all shot their scenes over about 45 minutes. They're not in the movie a lot. Pedro Pascal is in the movie more than those others combined.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Are you equating man of steel with a cartoon?

Something doesn't suddenly become a mature adult product because it isn't a cartoon. Even the grimmest and darkest of comic book movies are still literally designed for children except I guess maybe like Deadpool? (and Deadpool is basically a cartoon anyway, just one with the word gently caress and violence.)

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Something doesn't suddenly become a mature adult product because it isn't a cartoon. Even the grimmest and darkest of comic book movies are still literally designed for children except I guess maybe like Deadpool? (and Deadpool is basically a cartoon anyway, just one with the word gently caress and violence.)

Deadpool is absolutely for kids

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Burkion posted:

Deadpool is absolutely for kids

Well, it's rated R so technically it's not but yeah it totally is.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just wouldn't lump Man of Steel with Teen Titans Go.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I just wouldn't lump Man of Steel with Teen Titans Go.

That is because one is focused on drama and action and the other is a irreverent comedy, not because one is live action and the other a cartoon. You could very reasonably compare say Mystery Men and Teen Titans Go perhaps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not sure how you stretch ttg to 90 minutes. It lives and breathes on being high concept and extorting some comedy concept as far as it can go for 12 minutes.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I guess? My point was, Man of Steel is kind of an all ages thing. It's just mature enough for adults, and uh...I guess for kids in some way.

Where's TTG is made for kids and adults bitch about it because it's not what they want. They don't factor in that it isn't for them. Which makes it weird.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Not sure how you stretch ttg to 90 minutes. It lives and breathes on being high concept and extorting some comedy concept as far as it can go for 12 minutes.

We have the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie as precedent, for better or for worse.

I say do a 12 minute episode and then the other 88 minutes a sequel to Blue.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Man of Steel absolutely would have benefited from a musical number about how much Clark loves pie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Just have it be an anthology movie. Lots of TTG shorts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I predict it will be about them being grounded by the Justice League and trying to prove they are serious heroes, then saving the day by being wacky idiots and learning they gotta be themselves

• Locked thread