Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

I liked the salon song when i first played it but yeah parappa 2 is not good. umjammer lammy is the real parappa 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The songs are not as good in Parappa 2. And besides the weird "mash off the beat and now you have won this rhythm game" thing it is also impossible to get the highest rating unless you have beaten the game once. I am still going to play Um Jammer Lammy once I get a PS3 because I bought it for like two dollars in a sale but Parappa is a weird series.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

In Training posted:

I played that parappa remaster and parappa kinda sucks as a rhythm game. The music is cool at least. But it has 4 songs and the way to get max clears is to mash buttons off the beat

The timing in the original psx release is completely stupid, and I dont think a computer can tell what is good freestyling yet. Like even disregarding rapping, how could it even tell whats a good rhythm/flow without being overly restrictive.
I think a Rock Band or GH had freestyling bits where you just mash the buttons and they play notes from a scale but that didnt try to rate your rhythm

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

ArfJason posted:

The timing in the original psx release is completely stupid, and I dont think a computer can tell what is good freestyling yet. Like even disregarding rapping, how could it even tell whats a good rhythm/flow without being overly restrictive.
I think a Rock Band or GH had freestyling bits where you just mash the buttons and they play notes from a scale but that didnt try to rate your rhythm

Yeah it's always been a tough thing to implement, but it's also a huge reason why people like playing music so I can see the reason for trying to put it so many games. Maybe Project Rap Rabbit would have been the one to do it

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I severely doubt it. I know music theory has certain constraints around what constitutes "good rhythm" after you've established your time signature and beat, but even then it seems mind boggling to implement an automated rating for that, and even more ridiculous to judge on top of timing lyrical performance too.
Rap rabbit seemed more like a rhythm puzzle game if anything.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
I think the best way music games have handled freestyling have been by being primarily generative rather than reactive. such as in rez and otocky

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
games like chime and bad hotel and to a lesser extent lumines also do this

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I really really liked chime. Also yeah, i agree. Having your actions triggering predetermined sounds and riffs to predetermined beats is the best approach. Child of eden was cool!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
breath of the wild
all shrines, not all seeds or sidequests tho

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Metroid: Samus Returns (Normal, 100%). Its not amazing, but, Im so happy nintendo finally at least gave somebody a shot to make a new metroid game and I hope it paves the way for a beautiful 2D entry on Switch in the future. Ill probably also play it again on Hard, the bosses will be brutal.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009
Shadowrun: dragonfall. Im starting to "get" crpgs

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

Finally got around to my copy of Kirby Super Star Ultra, still need to do the Arena but I got to the credits and their extremely good music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQvj3V1sLDw) so I'll count it

I should play more Kirby games

Went back and beat the Arena and True Arena for 100%

True Arena was tougher than I thought it would be. Don't sleep on Yo-Yo!

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

28) Kirby's Avalanche (normal mode)

Here's the final battle. Someday I'll be good enough at puyo to tackle hard mode.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suEqWEZBQPQ&t=3779s

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Nier: Automata

So far I have endings: AGJKTU

Soral
May 30, 2009

i don't think getting ending a counts as beating nier automata. just in my imo

Soral
May 30, 2009

samus returns (fusion mode, 100%)

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

My 2017 so far:
1. Yakuza 0
2. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3. ARMS
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (all cups 3-starred on 150cc/200cc)
5. Splatoon 2
6. Sonic Mania (Sonic&Tails)
7. Everybody's Golf
8. Street Fighter II: Hyper Fighting (Ryu, normal arcade)
9. Star Fox (Route 1)
10. Star Fox 2 (Normal)
11. Super Mario Odyssey
12. Nier Automata (A, B, K, W)

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Nov 9, 2017

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Soral posted:

i don't think getting ending a counts as beating nier automata. just in my imo

ending a shows the slowed down credits so i'm counting it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Plebian Parasite posted:

the real credits will make you cry

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Plebian Parasite posted:

This is dishonorable conduct.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

elf help book posted:

the real credits will make you cry

This

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

27.1) Super Mario 64 Online (120 star challenge)

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

I haven't beaten any games this year so far.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished Orwell, and both Banner Sagas.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Death Road to Canada.

Soral
May 30, 2009

steamworld dig 2. i got 43/42 artifacts

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
night in the woods

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

gravity rush remastered (platinum). did all the challenge gold medals so figured i'd finish everything else

IdealFlaws
Aug 23, 2005

Evil Eagle posted:

27.1) Super Mario 64 Online (120 star challenge)

How is the latency on this game? I'd like to try it

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

i never played yakuza before but played through yakuza 0 and had a blast, and now ive been playing kiwami and i'll probably play 4 and 5 next. ive been playing nothing but yakuza all this month

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
Shadow Dancer (Arcade, 1CC)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D7o3ArN-cQ

Final playtime: 11:52

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SM64Guy posted:

i never played yakuza before but played through yakuza 0 and had a blast, and now ive been playing kiwami and i'll probably play 4 and 5 next. ive been playing nothing but yakuza all this month

i'm doing this but with kiwami first. my ps3 is still in the states!!!! argh!!!!

Xbox Ambassador
Dec 23, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT BEING THE BIGGEST CRYBABY ON THE FORUMS

R. Guyovich posted:

gravity rush remastered (platinum). did all the challenge gold medals so figured i'd finish everything else

I loved this game

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Liquid Drink posted:

I loved this game

it was really good and i'm nabbing 2 when it's on sale

Soral
May 30, 2009

fantasy life

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

nier update: I got ending e

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Dishonored (still gotta play the Daud DLC before moving on to 2)

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Dishonored (still gotta play the Daud DLC before moving on to 2)

How was Hellblade? I was thinking of getting it but went with Divinity: Original Sin 2 instead and while I think I made the right choice I'm still interested in getting Hellblade at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

How was Hellblade? I was thinking of getting it but went with Divinity: Original Sin 2 instead and while I think I made the right choice I'm still interested in getting Hellblade at some point.

I loved it and thought it was well worth $30 since you're getting a very tight story-driven game that takes maybe 10 hours to beat. If you get it, playing with headphones is a must because it has binaural audio, and the sound direction in general is incredible. The combat system is simple but accomplishes exactly what it sets out to do. I could see it having not much replay value but would definitely recommend it anyway.

• Locked thread