Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

Rime posted:

That's loving amazing. Generating at 25% of capacity while in the poo poo of a cat 4 hurricane? :stare:

Yeah PV actually gives me hope that we'll be able to survive our stormy hellscape future to some degree. Wind farms handled Harvey fine as well

Notorious R.I.M. fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Sep 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what if the trees were planted and harvested by solar powered robots and then wrapped in saran wrap so the carbon couldn't escape

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

StabbinHobo posted:

what if the trees were planted and harvested by solar powered robots and then wrapped in saran wrap so the carbon couldn't escape
i do think solar power and automation are going to make reforestation on a massive scale more achievable than it is at the moment

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

Rime posted:

That's loving amazing. Generating at 25% of capacity while in the poo poo of a cat 4 hurricane? :stare:

There's no way the wind speed facts presented in that story are true. Sustained 275 kph winds (which are well above the stated design tolerance) would mean Irma had high category 5 winds 50 km away from the eye wall. This doesn't happen and is at odds with the incredibly light wind damage Antigua experienced. The NHC had Antigua right on the line between Tropical storm/Hurricane force winds which would suggest wind speeds in the 120 kph range.

That's a press release slightly rewitten to claim it's a news article with exactly the sort of strict adherence to fact you'd expect from a company trying to sell its product.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Remember, if it gives you hope, it's fake news.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

VideoGameVet posted:

Or not:

Antigua's well-built PV systems sustain impact of hurricane Irma

Antigua at only 50 km distance from the eye of the storm and well within the devastating display of natural forces suffered less damage, but was affected seriously as well with sustained winds exceeding at times 275 km/h.

This devastating natural disaster has even more underlined the importance of a diligent and reliable approach in terms of planning and installing PV solar systems in hurricane-prone regions.

Since the clean energy provider PV Energy has already beforehand adapted the design, mounting and structuring of its solar power racking systems and solar panels to the potential risk of hurricanes almost all solar systems designed and installed by PV Energy sustained the devastation through Irma.

Designed to withstand hurricanes of up to the category 4, each of the 55 solar power installations on Antigua, ranging from several kWp to the 3 MWp and 4 MWp utility scale installations at the international airport of Antigua and in the Lavington/Bethesda region with a total of 38,000 panels mounted, have survived hurricane Irma without damages or substantial system failures.

One of these PV systems, based on a 50 kWp sun2safe hybrid converter, was even able to generate 25% of its maximum expected performance during the worst hours of the hurricane, thanks to its proprietary MPPT tracking algorithm which is able to optimise the production even under extreme weather conditions.

"This experience confirms our commitment to supplying tier one equipment only and adopt proven, reliable and diligently calculated and designed engineering solutions", states PV Energy's Chief Technical Officer Thomas Beindorf.

Load test for racking systems, ramming depths for the pillars of the substructures as well as reinforced frames and modules are just a few key factors to be considered for planning and installing robust solar energy plants.

I thought solar city only did rooftop solar, not these types of heavy infrastructure deployments?

Also if there were hurricane force sustained winds in antigua you should tell the national hurricane center because they'd surely like to know about it.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/031543.shtml

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Weird that links to the nhc don't work well.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

hobbesmaster posted:

Weird that links to the nhc don't work well.

You are looking at the wrong hurricane, Irma hit Antigua with hurricane force winds (although nowhere near as strong as places that received a direct hit like Barbuda)

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Notorious R.I.M. posted:

You are looking at the wrong hurricane, Irma hit Antigua with hurricane force winds (although nowhere near as strong as places that received a direct hit like Barbuda)

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2017/hurricane-irma

Ooops, yeah, just the edge. Most of the island is not shown as receiving hurricane strength winds.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Billzasilver posted:

I understand what the idea is. It's a hilariously bad carbon capture idea. Without hyperbole, it might be the worst idea I've ever heard.

Do you honestly support it in any way?

What makes it the worst idea you've ever heard?

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

For starters, even the article posted earlier recognizes that business as usual would be preferable. This is an idea that is actually worse than dealing with the standard timber industry.

Background posted:

Dry wood contains about 50 % carbon [14] and can be stored for example in decommissioned coal mines or in facilities near the forests in the long term. By using timber in fairly long-lasting applications (buildings, furniture), carbon storage could be even less expensive and more attractive.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

For starters, even the article posted earlier recognizes that business as usual would be preferable. This is an idea that is actually worse than dealing with the standard timber industry.

the timber industry isn't large scale enough and also isn't limited to factory farming sacrificial land instead of chopping down trees in valuable habitats

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Ive got it people. Wooden roads for carbon storage. Not joking look up "plank roads".

A coast to coast wooden highway with wooden bridges.......

In all seriousness i wonder how much carbon in locked in railroad crossties. They have a 30 -50 year life.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Billzasilver posted:

Buildings hmm? Assuming you wanted to offset US emissions entirely, using pine, you could construct a massive wall with a cross section about a third the size of a football field along the entire US-Mexican border, each year.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Ive got it people. Wooden roads for carbon storage. Not joking look up "plank roads".

A coast to coast wooden highway with wooden bridges.......

Not to even get into the many reasons why the plank road boom turned to bust, if you put the wood down on the surface of the earth it's just going to rot and give up its CO2 anyways.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Lmao wtf is sacrificial land

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Buildings hmm? Assuming you wanted to offset US emissions entirely, using pine, you could construct a massive wall with a cross section about a third the size of a football field along the entire US-Mexican border, each year.

That sounds like a lovely plan! Just give me 30 to 50 years to grow those pine trees in the first place. Here's hoping nothing bad happens in that time.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Billzasilver posted:

That sounds like a lovely plan! Just give me 30 to 50 years to grow those pine trees in the first place. Here's hoping nothing bad happens in that time.
Uh, you're the one that proposed dealing with the normal timber industry in the first place. Like I wouldn't be surprised if growing pine was a bad way to sequester carbon, but you seem to be the one who proposed it.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Billzasilver posted:

You only need to wait that long if you want high quality wood, and in this case garbage tier wood is probably fine, in which case you have access to species which have been genetically modified for rapid growth for use in wood pellet production. Using trangenic eucalyptus, you'd only need to set aside an area the size of Missouri to offset America's carbon emissions, and you get the nice fresh eucalyptus smell for free.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

twodot posted:

Uh, you're the one that proposed dealing with the normal timber industry in the first place. Like I wouldn't be surprised if growing pine was a bad way to sequester carbon, but you seem to be the one who proposed it.

No, I absolutely hate the plan. I just pulled a quote from the article shared on the last page.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Billzasilver posted:

No, I absolutely hate the plan. I just pulled a quote from the article shared on the last page.
You're not making any sense. Here's you saying dealing with the timber industry and making buildings is better than storing whatever plant is best to sequester carbon:

Billzasilver posted:

Here's a person explaining why buildings and the standard timber industry is not appropriate for the goal of sequestering carbon:

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Here's you saying that dealing with the standard timber industry is obviously suboptimal, and we would instead use some other plant more appropriate for sequestering carbon:

Billzasilver posted:

Regardless of whether you think plant storage is a good idea you can't have this both ways.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Plant storage is a poo poo-tastic idea

Using it in the timber industry is a piss-poor idea

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Mozi posted:

Not to even get into the many reasons why the plank road boom turned to bust, if you put the wood down on the surface of the earth it's just going to rot and give up its CO2 anyways.

Hmmm really? You don't say?

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

hobbesmaster posted:

I thought solar city only did rooftop solar, not these types of heavy infrastructure deployments?

Also if there were hurricane force sustained winds in antigua you should tell the national hurricane center because they'd surely like to know about it.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at5+shtml/031543.shtml

They are doing some large projects in Australia:

Tesla wins bid to build world’s largest lithium-ion battery for South Australia

esla CEO Elon Musk promised back in March that his electric car company, which also owns solar energy provider SolarCity, could help the state of South Australia with its routine weather-caused blackout issues. At the time, Musk said Tesla was so serious about the endeavor, he wrote on Twitter that the project could be completed within 100 days of a signed deal or it’d come free of charge. Now, Tesla is getting the opportunity to make good on that promise, as the company has won the government of South Australia’s bid to build what would be the world’s largest lithium-ion battery.

Tesla beat out 91 international bidders for the project — perhaps because of Musk’s clout (and proven track record) and his audacious claim to waive the installation fee — to supply South Australia with a 100-megawatt lithium-ion energy storage solution. It would be the largest lithium-ion battery system ever made, and it appears to involve a substantial scaling up of Tesla’s current commercial Powerpack system first unveiled back in 2015.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

Hmmm really? You don't say?

Sorry, my iron-y-meter needs calibration.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Billzasilver posted:

Lmao wtf is sacrificial land

land where any valuable habitats have already been destroyed, so if you're doing something large scale and potentially damaging you should do it there

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

so Indian burial grounds?

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Just send a nuke to make a hole in the ozone layer and let all that CO2 escape into space. Quick and easy!

Burt Buckle
Sep 1, 2011

double nine posted:

so Indian burial grounds?

Oh god that's just what we need to compound the problems of climate change, loving Indian ghosts.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Throwing logs down a mine does sound like a chuckle but throwing fossil fuel company ceo's/stockholders down mine shafts till there aren't any left would be far more efficient. And hillarious. "NO NO I JUST WANTED TO BE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCHHHHH" *splat*

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

DesperateDan posted:

Throwing logs down a mine does sound like a chuckle but throwing fossil fuel company ceo's/stockholders down mine shafts till there aren't any left would be far more efficient. And hillarious. "NO NO I JUST WANTED TO BE RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICCCCCHHHHH" *splat*

Ok let's reach a compromise solution like good liberals here. Tie the fossil fuel fat cats to logs, throw them down mineshafts, and crush them under more logs.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

blowfish posted:

Ok let's reach a compromise solution like good liberals here. Tie the fossil fuel fat cats to logs, throw them down mineshafts, and crush them under more logs.

What are you running for and where can I vote for you

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe
Chop down forests, turn them into sailing ships, sail them to the deepest ocean trench and sink them with all hands. Repeat until carbon problem solved.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Unormal posted:

Chop down forests, turn them into sailing ships, sail them to the deepest ocean trench and sink them with all hands. Repeat until carbon problem solved.

Chop down forests, turn them into sailing ships, live on them, raise purple berries, after Trump starts Global Thermonuclear War.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Genetically engineer trees that grow downwards into the earth, thus self-sequestering.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

slaughter every imperialist pig that attempts to redevelop an island and let mangroves take back over the coasts

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit
lay on your back and poo poo on your face

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Oil contains more carbon than trees so let's just buy that and sequester it in the oceans.

StabbinHobo
Oct 18, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
tax credits for pre-sequestering

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
Things have gotten so desperate and broke brained that theorycrafters are trying to minmax the biosphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digiwizzard
Dec 23, 2003

Pork Pro
The calculations show that human civilization can be saved by throwing trees down mine shafts, but only if you build up speed for 12 hours and use 0.5 a presses.