Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Truga posted:

Apparently this is going to sport an AMD APU like the new sony/xbox boxes, so uhhh, yeah, the $250 price is probably mostly due to that, not it being a luxury item. They're not even scalping right.

New? Those systems both came out in 2013 and they sell themselves for $250 new bundled with a pack of games now that the hardware's been made for a long while, which is going to have a lot of profit margin by now.

The PS4 Pro came out with an improved version of those AMD APUs last year and the Xbox One X is coming out with an even more improved version this November, but there's no way Atari's thing has access to those.

I would be surprised if the AMD APU they're using isn't rather more like the ones that go into $300 laptops at the local Wal-Mart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Why does a console meant to run Atari games even require that? I'm sure the calculator I bought from the dollar store can both have enough memory to store the entire Atari library and the processing power to run them.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Leal posted:

Why does a console meant to run Atari games even require that? I'm sure the calculator I bought from the dollar store can both have enough memory to store the entire Atari library and the processing power to run them.

It's not a console just to run Atari 2600 games. It looks like it's also going to do poo poo like play older Steam games (presumably the ones that already run on Linux) and possibly even emulation of Atari's later arcade titles into the 90s, and stuff like the Atari Jaguar.

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

fishmech posted:

and stuff like the Atari Jaguar.

Wait, it takes dental x-rays too?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It's a self-declared HTPC too, so it needs h264/5 hardware.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Just an FYI for everyone, the former Star Citizen forum is now SCAM, a forum for posting about terrible crowdfunded crap. This thread's not going anywhere but post there too!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FactsAreUseless posted:

Just an FYI for everyone, the former Star Citizen forum is now SCAM, a forum for posting about terrible crowdfunded crap. This thread's not going anywhere but post there too!

Relatedly, have there been any actual updates of interest on SC, or is still "look at this cockpit! It'll be out soon but I need more money!"

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Manuel Calavera posted:

Relatedly, have there been any actual updates of interest on SC, or is still "look at this cockpit! It'll be out soon but I need more money!"

Search your heart for the answer.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Manuel Calavera posted:

Progress on SC has been slow but it has still handily outpaced goons' ability to come up with actual new jokes about SC.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Guy Mann posted:

Progress on SC has been slow but it has still handily outpaced goons' ability to come up with actual new jokes about SC.

Doubtful.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Guy Mann posted:

So, nothing besides the cockpit and open space that I heard about a year ago. Cool.

violentlycitrus
Aug 3, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

My dude, that thread has lol's for days.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

violentlycitrus posted:

My dude, that thread has lol's for days.

Yeah, but the game's been in development for years, so I'd say that's pretty easily outpaced.

SeductiveReasoning
Nov 2, 2005

382 BC - 301 BC
https://twitter.com/thisisinsider/status/912673130551820288
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/egoistemondiale/pause-pod-your-private-pop-up-space-for-relaxation

Edit: ah the tweet is new but the project is from earlier this year.

SeductiveReasoning has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Sep 29, 2017

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I was hoping it was just a human sized cat cave, but nope, it's a stupid hipster tent.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

From the name I thought it was going to be a portable ultralight collapsing pet tent/crate (pause/paws). I was like "actually that's not so bad, we'd take it camping maybe if we got one for cheap. This is probably going to be just a goon being obtuse about the invention's niche applications again."

Little did I expect it to be for that other hair-covered beast which lacks full human social skills: the unkempt manchild.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Which is your favorite Pause Pod hermit? I'm split between Banana Barista and Park Psychopath.

EDIT: Lol, $99? poo poo you can get a decent 3-season bonafide tent for that.

LogisticEarth has a new favorite as of 15:31 on Sep 29, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So it's basically a lovely self-erecting tent that's too small to actually sleep in, and they've received over €10,000 for it. :psyduck:

And OF COURSE it has a companion app.

They want $200 retail for it. You can buy a proper 2-person self erecting tent for $49 on Amazon.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My new theory is that these inexplicably funded kickstarter projects are money laundering operations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CommonShore posted:

My new theory is that these inexplicably funded kickstarter projects are money laundering operations.

if you have too much time on your hands: https://pastebin.com/t00uEH34

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They already have tiny one-person sleeping tents.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Collateral Damage posted:

So it's basically a lovely self-erecting tent that's too small to actually sleep in

Oh no, that's the best part!

There's a long bit you fold out from the rest of the tent to stick your legs in.

It's so convenient!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well, if I could be convinced that they weren't just killing themselves by eating a pillow or smearing boogers all over the thing, it would be a pretty good kind of solution for some of my students. You could stick them in there with a book or laptop and a simple assignment and the isolation/coziness would help with most of their behaviours and weird FASD induced sensory problems without seeming like a punishment like facing a corner.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

tuyop posted:

Well, if I could be convinced that they weren't just killing themselves by eating a pillow or smearing boogers all over the thing, it would be a pretty good kind of solution for some of my students. You could stick them in there with a book or laptop and a simple assignment and the isolation/coziness would help with most of their behaviours and weird FASD induced sensory problems without seeming like a punishment like facing a corner.

have you tried using painful, but not fatal electrical shocks?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What happened to a good old fashioned pillow fort?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Inescapable Duck posted:

What happened to a good old fashioned pillow fort?

My kickstarter goes live next week. Bespoke bluetooth pillows, with an app. They also connect to those desk rocket launchers to make your fort even more impenetrable.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

My favorite part is the grown-rear end man using it in the living room of his house. Because going to the bedroom just doesn't have the sheer convenience of this tiny-rear end tent.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Trauma Dog 3000 posted:

have you tried using painful, but not fatal electrical shocks?

In school we use things like "detention" instead. It sometimes has the same effect of having a kid just totally freak out and weep.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

My favorite part of this is where they didn't even have a minute and a half of footage, so they had to blatantly reuse footage at the end. I guess they couldn't bribe any spouses/friends to try it out?

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

So we poo poo a lot on Kickstarter here, obviously, but it hasn't really yet penetrated into the biggest idiot market, alternative medicine.

Today I saw the "Chi Well Pointer" at a local fair. It's two pencils with sharp gold tips, apparently magnets, and a far infrared energy accelerator (no batteries needed!)*

You need two because + and -.

Seven hundred and sixty Euros for two acupressure points.

Kickstarter's got nothing on pseudo-medicinal quacks.

* whatever the gently caress that is

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

gschmidl posted:

So we poo poo a lot on Kickstarter here, obviously, but it hasn't really yet penetrated into the biggest idiot market, alternative medicine.

Today I saw the "Chi Well Pointer" at a local fair. It's two pencils with sharp gold tips, apparently magnets, and a far infrared energy accelerator (no batteries needed!)*

You need two because + and -.

Seven hundred and sixty Euros for two acupressure points.

Kickstarter's got nothing on pseudo-medicinal quacks.

* whatever the gently caress that is

You missed a great opportunity to play dumb and keep asking them to explain it to you.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Dienes posted:

You missed a great opportunity to play dumb and keep asking them to explain it to you.

I was doing my best not to scream at them.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

This doesn't contain ground up rare animals, so it clearly can't work. :colbert:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
PURR Cat Cafe, "Boston's very first Cat Cafe", only raised $7,000 on Flexible Funding but that didn't stop the woman behind it all trying to go through with it anyways.
Now the whole thing is blowing up because she's so bad at actually caring for cats that none of the shelters they partnered with will give her any and she's having very public meltdowns about being "bullied" by the actual professional animal welfare people she hired telling her in no uncertain terms that she has no idea what she's doing.

Normally I would be loath to link to an Imgur gallery but it's a whole lot of crazy to sort through.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Well that sucks.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If you're worried about animals being abused, don't be. Thankfully she never actually got any cats because the shelters took one look at the living space she had set up for them and Kramered on out of there.

But seriously, this is like an Amy's Baking Company level of crazy person melting down publicly. Using a business's Facebook page to make legal threats while posting in character as one of her own cats talking about their "Mom" is pure crazy_cat_lady.png

e.

:eyepop:

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Sep 30, 2017

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The :catstare: emote has never been more appropriate.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The one thing I want whenever I go out somewhere to eat, is a bunch of animals wandering about in the serving area and possibly kitchen.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The one thing I want whenever I go out somewhere to eat, is a bunch of animals wandering about in the serving area and possibly kitchen.

Not just any animal, but an animal that's notorious for not giving a gently caress about staying away from things and only getting more interested/annoying if you try to stop them.

Cats are awful pets and anyone who'd go to a goddamn "cat cafe" is insane, to say nothing of people who think opening/operating one is a good idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

PErsonally I would not eat at the Toxoplasmosis Cafe.