Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Random Stranger posted:

Excuse me, Spirit Tracks isn't any good either.

Also, you're all giant nerds! NERDS!
(quietly buries boxes of anime DVDs in the backyard.)

Once I gave in to having to wait for the train to go places and periodically fighting off enemies, I actually really enjoyed it. Kinda like giving in to having to sail and periodically fight enemies in WW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!
One of my favorite things is this actual pricelist of VHS Anime from the 90s, including preffered brands of tape (I've probably posted this already, but hey):

code:
best tapes
Maxell HGX-BLACK 
Sony Type V-PRO (? clam-shell case)
Scotch Archive
Fuji A/V Master
TDK HiFi
Maxell XL-HiFi
Sony Type V-HG
Scotch HiFi
Fuji A/V Pro
Sony Type V
Scotch EG+/Performance High Grade 
worst tapes

Banned tapes: Number Eaten so far:

Maxell HGX-Gold or HGX-Silver 6
Polaroid Standard Grade 4
TDK STD 1
Sony ES 1
JVC SX or XR grade none yet (poor image)
Scotch HG none yet (poor image)
TDK E-HG none yet (they clog heads)

VHS TAPES, subtitled or dubbed
Ah! My Goddess Ep 1 - 5 (29 min ea) sub .......................... 19.95 ea 
Ah! My Goddess Collector's Complete Box Set (Ep 1 - 5) ........... 90.00
Akira (120 min) letterbox, sub ................................... 37.95 
Bubblegum Crisis #1 - 8 (30 - 53 min each) sub ................... 24.95 ea
Dominion, Pt 1 & 2 (80 min each) dub ............................. 19.95 ea
Dominion, New: Tank Police v 1, 2 & 3 (60 min ea) dub ............ 14.95 ea
Fatal Fury: Legend of the Hungry Wolf (50 min) dub ............... 19.95 
Fatal Fury: Motion Picture (100 min) dub ......................... 17.95 
Lodoss War Box Set (all 6 vol + phone card) sub ................. 120.00 
Ninja Scroll (Jubei Ninpocho, 94 min) ............................ 24.95 
* Otaku no Video (100 min) ......................................... 39.95 
Project A-Ko v 1 (86 min) sub .................................... 29.95
v 2 & 3 (70 & 50 min) sub ........................... 29.95 ea
Project A-Ko Grey Side/ Blue Side (2 tapes, 100 total min) ....... 49.95
Project A-Ko Final (59 min) sub .................................. 29.95 
Ranma TV v 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 (50 min ea) dub ............. 29.95 ea
OAV v 4: An Akane to Remember (65 min) dub ................. 27.95 
* Ranma OAV Collector's Edition v 1, 2 (3 OAVs, 90 m) sub .......... 32.95 ea 
Movie 1: Trouble in Nekonron, China (74 min, dub) .......... 34.95
Movie 2: Nihao My Concubine (60 min, dub) .................. 34.95 
* Street Fighter II, the animated movie (96 min) dub ............... 14.95 
Tenchi Muyo v 1 - 6 (30 min ea) sub .............................. 24.95 ea 
Urotsuki Doji: 5-tape set (Adult) sub ............................ 99.95
Urotsuki Doji III: Return of the Overfiend 
Episodes 1, 3, 4 (Adult, 60 min ea) dub ...................... 29.95 ea
Vampire Hunter D (80 min) dub (CC) ............................... 17.95

To be on topic, the Switch Mario Bros Arcade Archives is out and really good.

Mace Bacon fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 28, 2017

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, my CRT is doing the rainbow color on the upper corner so I need to get a degauser for it. What a good one for a decent price, as I not wanting to spend a lot of money for something I only going to use once.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

[quote="“xamphear”" post="“476837672”"]
If you can’t go 8 hours without pooping, you really gotta cut down on how much you eat.
[/quote]

Mods thread title please

Grapeshot
Oct 21, 2010
I'm tempted to buy a Philips CD-I off Craigslist but I know it's a dumb idea and a waste of money. He only has the IR remote and I don't think I want to patch together a real control solution with an Arduino and pin headers shoved in the controller port. If I don't get it I probably won't see one locally again though.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Takoluka posted:

After how exceptionally and hilariously bad 2.5 was, absolutely never.

Was that the one where Tidus kicks a bomb that he thought was a Blitzball and then his exploded corpse lands on top of Yuna?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Grapeshot posted:

I'm tempted to buy a Philips CD-I off Craigslist but I know it's a dumb idea and a waste of money. He only has the IR remote and I don't think I want to patch together a real control solution with an Arduino and pin headers shoved in the controller port. If I don't get it I probably won't see one locally again though.

In case you decide to waste your money anyway, make sure you know whether or not it has the digital video cartridge, and look up a guide for replacing the timekeeper battery.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Rirse posted:

Ugh, my CRT is doing the rainbow color on the upper corner so I need to get a degauser for it. What a good one for a decent price, as I not wanting to spend a lot of money for something I only going to use once.

Just buy a real big magnet and gently caress up the entire screen so it's consistent

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

Ditch and pick up a better one off of your local Craiglist. Probably cheaper and more sound than messing around with degaussing coils and all that, especially if the problem isn't necessarily one of magnetic deflection and all that.

Otherwise, your cheapest option might be to get some neodymium magnets off Ebay and try a manual degauss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

Grapeshot posted:

1. Don't let it being local sway you. If it's incomplete or doesn't have everything you need for whatever hypothetical bad-idea reason you think you want a CD-i, then it's only a step or two above an Ebay dice roll crapshoot anyway.

2. Don't buy a CD-i, especially if you already have a bunch of better consoles and the like, and doubly so if you're not using those consoles constantly.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kthulhu5000 posted:

Ditch and pick up a better one off of your local Craiglist. Probably cheaper and more sound than messing around with degaussing coils and all that, especially if the problem isn't necessarily one of magnetic deflection and all that.

Otherwise, your cheapest option might be to get some neodymium magnets off Ebay and try a manual degauss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOyKuQf36TI

1. Don't let it being local sway you. If it's incomplete or doesn't have everything you need for whatever hypothetical bad-idea reason you think you want a CD-i, then it's only a step or two above an Ebay dice roll crapshoot anyway.

2. Don't buy a CD-i, especially if you already have a bunch of better consoles and the like, and doubly so if you're not using those consoles constantly.

No can do on ditching it, since it's a Sony PVM-14L2 that I finally got not too long ago. It wasn't doing this until very recently, probably due to having speakers near it. I rather like this thing a lot so I want to get it back to normal.

FireMrshlBill
Aug 13, 2006

LEMME SHOW YOU SOMETHING!!!

Rirse posted:

No can do on ditching it, since it's a Sony PVM-14L2 that I finally got not too long ago. It wasn't doing this until very recently, probably due to having speakers near it. I rather like this thing a lot so I want to get it back to normal.

Don't PVMs have their own degaussing coil? Have you taken the speakers away and used the internal degauss a bunch? and I mean a bunch

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

FireMrshlBill posted:

Don't PVMs have their own degaussing coil? Have you taken the speakers away and used the internal degauss a bunch? and I mean a bunch

It has a button for degausing, but it doesn't seem to do anything, even after moving the speakers away. It seem to started the last few days, as it was very faint but now is very obvious in-game.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There should be controls for adjusting the Landing on that monitor, try playing with them a bit before you go ordering a degaussing wand.

Also, the internal degaussing coils take like a week before they can start undoing damage.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 28, 2017

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Do you hear a "bwong" sound when you power your PVM on? That's a degaussing sound, from the internal degaussing circuitry kicking on automatically. If you don't hear it, then it may be busted.

Alternatively, and this would be the lovely possibility, it may be a problem that a degaussing rod/wand/coil/whatever doesn't fix.

Read this Shmups thread:

https://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=57119

Compare the image in the OP's link to your problem, then read the replies.

eshock
Sep 2, 2004

Do you happen to have a plug-in power drill? Turn it on and wave it in front of circles in front of the monitor. Should work as well as a degaussing coil.

Cordless ones won't work though.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013
I had a CRT monitor that stopped degaussing properly and whenever the colors would go out of whack I'd simply put it face-to-face with a CRT tv of roughly the same size and turn that on, it would degauss the monitor as well. Could be risks involved with that I'm not aware of though? Worked for me.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Don't buy a CD-i, just watch supergreatfriend's playthrough of Laser Lords.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Star Man posted:

an FTP server on GamingForce
lol jesus :rip:

That place was dope, it was pretty much The Place for game music for at least a few years back in the mid-late 2000s, especially compared to the total shitshow that was Galbadia Hotel. I never gave a poo poo about lossless audio but maaaan there were so many people running FTPs full of flac/high bitrate mp3 rips of any OST you could think of. Also they had a pretty consistent stream of people registering to ask where all the MUGEN files were even though there was literally zero interest in it among the community there, I think what happened was someone made a thread saying "what even is MUGEN" and it wound up being a first page result when you googled the name.

Also maybe my favourite piece of forums drama ever was when a guy there got laughed off the site after he opened up his new 360 to dump a shitload of thermal paste all over the insides just in case it RROD'd, and posted a thread whining about Microsoft being incompetent when it wouldn't turn on afterwards :allears:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

The way things are going the nukes should start flying soon and I'm pretty sure they'll degauss it just fine. In fact you buying one will probably be like the whole "it rains immediately after you wash your car" thing.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

If you do decide you want a wand, there's a guy in The CRT Collective group on facebook that sells them for $25 shipped.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

HAT FETISH posted:

lol jesus :rip:

That place was dope, it was pretty much The Place for game music for at least a few years back in the mid-late 2000s, especially compared to the total shitshow that was Galbadia Hotel. I never gave a poo poo about lossless audio but maaaan there were so many people running FTPs full of flac/high bitrate mp3 rips of any OST you could think of. Also they had a pretty consistent stream of people registering to ask where all the MUGEN files were even though there was literally zero interest in it among the community there, I think what happened was someone made a thread saying "what even is MUGEN" and it wound up being a first page result when you googled the name.

Also maybe my favourite piece of forums drama ever was when a guy there got laughed off the site after he opened up his new 360 to dump a shitload of thermal paste all over the insides just in case it RROD'd, and posted a thread whining about Microsoft being incompetent when it wouldn't turn on afterwards :allears:

I learned how to shitpost on the Internet at GamingForce and still have a bunch of images I saved from post sigs and poo poo. Anyone whose name I remember from that site seems to have been banned too.

I still visit it from time to time and don't care much for all posts automatically being signed with ciao or cheers.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Murderist posted:

I had a CRT monitor that stopped degaussing properly and whenever the colors would go out of whack I'd simply put it face-to-face with a CRT tv of roughly the same size and turn that on, it would degauss the monitor as well. Could be risks involved with that I'm not aware of though? Worked for me.

So how exactly this works. Do I just put the PVM next to the big CRT I have and just turn on the CRT while leaving the PVM off?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Just popping in to say degaussing owns and is the only reason I miss CRT's

BWOOOOWWWMMMmmmmmmmmmm......click

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

CRT's have degaussing coils internally (this is the "thunk" noise you hear when a CRT is powered on). Being magnetic in nature, it's not 100% kept inside the TV (it's a "sphere" that envelops the TV and some of the surroundings), and the magnetic field oscillation affects other nearby devices (generally they have to be "touching" the TV or close to it, and it's why keeping certain electronic devices directly on your TV is discouraged).

In your bad CRT's case, its degausser doesn't seem to be entirely doing its job, but putting another CRT close enough that the problem area is within the "sphere" of its degaussing charge may reset it right. It's basically the most cumbersome degaussing wand you can get.

Murderist
Aug 30, 2013

Rirse posted:

So how exactly this works. Do I just put the PVM next to the big CRT I have and just turn on the CRT while leaving the PVM off?

I pushed the glass fronts right up to each other like they're kissing, turned on the monitor that needed degaussing and then turned on/degaussed the TV a few times. Both mine were nearly identical sizes, I imagine that's important. Googling it turns up a few random forum posts saying it works/is safe but no in-depth how-tos. My monitor's colors were much worse than yours, it had a big splotch near the center of the screen that had turned a pink hue and using the TV fixed it up perfectly. Your situation is reversed though and I'm not sure if it would work as well, I imagine TVs having stronger degauss functions than monitors for some reason. And the TV I used was an early 90s hunk of junk with an incredibly loud deguass sound every time it turned on. And my monitor's degauss function still seemed to work, it made the noise and the screen went funkadelic, it just didn't do anything to the discoloration.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
$450-475 a decent price for a 20" MDU monitor?

My local Craigslist has nothing.

E: forgot that I have a decent Sony tube in the closet. Stop spending money on dumb poo poo. (Looks at sd2snes)

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Dunno if that would work. I might just look into the wane a goon mentioned being $25. Anyway here what the color issue looks like on the PVM.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*guy who just walked in* hey i thought looking & playing really lovely was part of the charm

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

Phone posted:

Stop spending money on dumb poo poo. (Looks at sd2snes)

as someone who just dropped the money on the sd2snes but hasn't received it yet this really bums me out

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
i miss degaussing things.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Tree Dude posted:

as someone who just dropped the money on the sd2snes but hasn't received it yet this really bums me out

Up until me remembering that I have a Sony set in the closet, I was seriously considering spending $500 and 6 hours round trip on picking up an endoscopy set up.

I was just reminding myself to stop spending money on stupid poo poo, as well as remembering that a SD2SNES is like 40% of the price and will provide way more utility than a 3rd CRT.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Phone posted:

Up until me remembering that I have a Sony set in the closet, I was seriously considering spending $500 and 6 hours round trip on picking up an endoscopy set up.

Complete with 'splash' guards?

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Tree Dude posted:

The sd2snes is real cool and it's now really easy to make your menu real cool too.

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...
Do you think the emulation on the SNES classic will give the scene any clues toward getting games like Star Fox and Mario RPG running properly?

BlueberryCanary
Mar 18, 2016

Tree Dude posted:

Do you think the emulation on the SNES classic will give the scene any clues toward getting games like Star Fox and Mario RPG running properly?

I thought that pretty much all snes games were perfectly emulated at this point?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Tree Dude posted:

In emulators, on the SNES Classic, or?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Tree Dude posted:

Unlikely; if the SNES Classic is anything like the NES one, the emulator is written extremely close to the hardware in assembly code.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Star Man posted:

all posts automatically being signed with ciao or cheers.

what the christ

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

BlueberryCanary posted:

I thought that pretty much all snes games were perfectly emulated at this point?

Oh goodness no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Tree Dude posted:

No because those have had emulation for them done perfectly for years and years now.

BlueberryCanary posted:

They are, the BSNES/Higan guy added support for the last previously un-emulated chip in an official SFC/SNES release like 5 years ago now and has had time to check everything over.

At this point the only stuff that doesn't work is things like the Satellaview where you'd need to simulate a whole digital satellite radio host server and transmission/reception from that for some of the titles to work. And that's getting a bit beyond the scope of emulating the SNES/SFC.

• Locked thread