Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
To me it's going to probably rely on how much they lean into the skewering of the other folks. Their split-Milo had me rolling last night, and if they can keep that kind of tone I'm in for a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

raditts posted:

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though, maybe with a longer show that doesn't come on every day so the panel thing could actually have a chance of working. I imagine he would have a lot to say about the way things have been going since he got cancelled.

Larry has a podcast called Black on the Air which is honestly fantastic. Turns out long one on one interviews are where he shines, he was wasted in the panel format. He gets excellent guests too.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
It didn't help that toward the end of Larry's run on Nightly Show he had to pad out his panels with those idiot staff correspondents and they'd talk over the guests constantly.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

FELD1 posted:

It didn't help that toward the end of Larry's run on Nightly Show he had to pad out his panels with those idiot staff correspondents and they'd talk over the guests constantly.

Oh god I had blocked out my memory of those idiots. They were all just so painfully unfunny.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
If it was just Larry things would have been a little boring, but still fine. The correspondents and their dumb skits were what sunk it.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Watching Thursday's Klepper. It's solid. Feels very Report-esque. But perhaps nothing special in the crowded satire landscape.

I'm glad to see Kobi Libii get work. He's been in a lot of stuff since, but I haven't seen him since the cancellation of Alpha House.

Edit: By chance, Klepper and Colbert did the same Steven Seagal gag.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Sep 29, 2017

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just caught up with The Opposition - I liked it. It's undeniably similar to the Colbert Report, but if Stephen doesn't want to do that schtick any more, I'm happy for someone else to have a go. And at any rate, Colbert was skewering who are now the old guard, while Klepper is satirising these new alt-right crazies. It's a subtle difference but an important one.

I do like the expansion of the "universe" with the correspondents and the other, fictional media outlets. As End Me Scoob mentioned above, the Milo bit was hilarious.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The biggest problem with Klepper isn't even material, it's charisma.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't even try watching his show because nothing about his appearances on TDS made it look attractive or even bearable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

IRQ posted:

Oh god I had blocked out my memory of those idiots. They were all just so painfully unfunny.

Ricky Velez was easily the worst, although Mike Yard was also kind of an anti-intellectual shitlord. I liked Grace Parra, Jordan Carlos, and Robin Thede, though.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

raditts posted:

Imagine if The Nightly Show was the best we could hope for in terms of post-Colbert TDS spinoffs.
I would like to see Larry have a show somewhere else though
He does. It's called Insecure and it's a great show. Sure, he's a lead writer for it and not the star, but he was always better at writing comedy instead of acting it out.

Milo and POTUS posted:

The biggest problem with Klepper isn't even material, it's charisma.
My biggest concern when I heard that Klepper was getting a Report-esque show wasn't the concept, but how he'd manage the character. Colbert did a great job since he's an actor by training, while Klepper is just a comedian.

Personally, I'm not interested in watching it. My reaction towards political comedy these days is one big "meh." There's a large quantity of these kinds of shows but not a whole lot of quality because they hit the same notes. As someone said, the best political "humor" we've gotten from Trump is a stupid Alec Baldwin impression and Drumpf.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Klepper's show just makes me bored. I'm not sure if it's just actually bad or there's just so much of this kind of thing now, but between TDS, Colbert, Full Frontal, and LWT I kind of have a glut of political comedy shows to watch.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

IRQ posted:

Klepper's show just makes me bored. I'm not sure if it's just actually bad or there's just so much of this kind of thing now, but between TDS, Colbert, Full Frontal, and LWT I kind of have a glut of political comedy shows to watch.
To say nothing of Jim Jefferies seamlessly transitioning from jokes about sex toys getting stuck up his rear end to political comedy, or the network late night talk shows that do more than just dabble in political humor- or, in the case of Jimmy Kimmel, outright political lecturing. How much more of these political comedy shows are we going to get? They're neither politically insightful nor very funny, and I can't imagine the ratings can keep staying up. Comedy goes in phases and you'd have to think this too shall pass.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

It'll pass when Trump is over and people don't feel like they have to be constantly vociferous and vigilant because THAT rear end in a top hat MIGHT KILL US ALL.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

It'll pass when Trump is over and people don't feel like they have to be constantly vociferous and vigilant because THAT rear end in a top hat MIGHT KILL US ALL.
This current phase of liberal outrage in comedy started in the late Obama era, why would it end just because Guy We Don't Like is out? And I hope you're not implying this is a good and desirable thing. Equating good politics and good art is typically not a positive development in society.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

yes, the problem most people have with trump is merely that he is a "guy we don't like"

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

get that OUT of my face posted:

This current phase of liberal outrage in comedy started in the late Obama era, why would it end just because Guy We Don't Like is out? And I hope you're not implying this is a good and desirable thing. Equating good politics and good art is typically not a positive development in society.

I mean if you ignore everything jon stewart was doing in the aftermath of the 04 election then yeah I guess.

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

You know what happened in the late Obama era? Trump became a goddamned candidate for president.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
putting aside the long history of racism in america the writing was on the wall about this outspoken neo-fash stuff in the us for the entirety of obama's second term, but for some reason it was extremely popular even on a lefty site like SA to laugh about it and downplay how much any of it mattered until after donald trump became the president

Steve Vader
Apr 29, 2005

Everyone's Playing!

Jon Stewart on Colbert last night.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

It's nice of them to let him out of the basement.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Steve Vader posted:

You know what happened in the late Obama era? Trump became a goddamned candidate for president.
And TV shows that focused on good politics first and entertainment second did fuckall to stop it. John Oliver can attest to that. Shows like Last Week Tonight have only increased this year. None of them are good, none of them are insightful, and none of them give me any reason to tune in.

If shows like Bojack Horseman and Broad City can turn serious topics into something that's funny and worth watching, then why can't yet another Daily Show clone do that? My problem isn't that they have a point, it's that they do nothing with it. I don't watch TV to be lectured.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I sincerely believe the "analojoke" ("it's like _______") has been a crutch for writers to churn out content every night. John Oliver used to be the only one doing it, and they're still doing them rather well, but Colbert, Meyers and others started in on it with much less skill.

An analogy isn't inherently a joke. Write more actual jokes.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

And TV shows that focused on good politics first and entertainment second did fuckall to stop it. John Oliver can attest to that. Shows like Last Week Tonight have only increased this year. None of them are good, none of them are insightful, and none of them give me any reason to tune in.

If shows like Bojack Horseman and Broad City can turn serious topics into something that's funny and worth watching, then why can't yet another Daily Show clone do that? My problem isn't that they have a point, it's that they do nothing with it. I don't watch TV to be lectured.

I'm not clear on what exactly you want these shows to be doing.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

jojoinnit posted:

I'm not clear on what exactly you want these shows to be doing.

That post you quoted posted:

...turn serious topics into something that's funny and worth watching
A lecture from John Oliver or Jimmy Kimmel isn't that. A bunch of condescending snark from Sam Bee isn't either. If you're going to do political comedy, don't forget the comedy part.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Oct 11, 2017

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
If you don't like what political comedy has become you might be a white supremacist

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

If you don't like what political comedy has become you might be a white supremacist
Jeff Foxworthy trying out some new material, I see.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

IRQ fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2017

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

A lecture from John Oliver or Jimmy Kimmel isn't that. A bunch of condescending snark from Sam Bee isn't either. If you're going to do political comedy, don't forget the comedy part.

Trump is ramping up tensions with North Korea! *makes clown face and goes bloopety*

Politics is a little unnerving right now. What the Daily Show under Jon did best was to sometimes put away the comedy and just be informative, and these successor shows are trying to follow that mold. You want it all to be funnier but I really don't see what that should translate into while still being informative.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

jojoinnit posted:

Trump is ramping up tensions with North Korea! *makes clown face and goes bloopety*

Politics is a little unnerving right now. What the Daily Show under Jon did best was to sometimes put away the comedy and just be informative, and these successor shows are trying to follow that mold. You want it all to be funnier but I really don't see what that should translate into while still being informative.
Yeah, at this point all we really have is gallows humor. A little chuckle as real lives and rights are going in the shitter.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 12, 2017

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Guys there aren't enough laffs in this waking existential nightmare, what can we do about that

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Nightly Show alum Robin Thede's BET show premieres tonight, FYI.

Dr. Citan Uzuki
Jan 26, 2006

I would never tell you anything that wasn't absolutely true that hadn't come right from His mouth and He wants me to tell you

Echo Chamber posted:

Nightly Show alum Robin Thede's BET show premieres tonight, FYI.

Would anyone actually want to watch a show with her on it though? She was one of the worst parts of The Nightly Show. Only Ricky Velez and (sometimes) Mike Yard were worse.

P.S. gently caress Ricky Velez

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Hey guy I was arguing with earlier: I just tried the latest episode of the Jim Jefferies show and I think it might be what you're looking for. He doesn't preach, he pretty much just riffs on one segment of current news without downplaying its seriousness and then take a look at something else happening in the world and its never stupid or unfunny.

(To reiterate, I'm reviewing the most recent one, Oct 10th and haven't really seen a full ep before just they occasional thing on YouTube)

If you make it your only political themed show and since it airs once I week I think you should give it a shot.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Majorian posted:

That was really good. It's a shame so much of what he's done and said lately has been so lovely. I really didn't like his "Bernie Bros cost Clinton the election" joke tonight. That poo poo gets really old.

I think that's probably more Comedy Central, less Trevor. Gotta be a shill for those paychecks (sometimes, anyway).

Comedy Central seems to have some very incorrect opinions regarding comedy. Or maybe they just don't care since people eat up whatever they dish out. Still, network execs do have opinions that they like trying to shove down our throats.

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Dr. Citan Uzuki posted:

Would anyone actually want to watch a show with her on it though? She was one of the worst parts of The Nightly Show. Only Ricky Velez and (sometimes) Mike Yard were worse.

P.S. gently caress Ricky Velez

The blurb in my tv listings says she was the head writer. :shrug:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

jojoinnit posted:

Hey guy I was arguing with earlier: I just tried the latest episode of the Jim Jefferies show and I think it might be what you're looking for. He doesn't preach, he pretty much just riffs on one segment of current news without downplaying its seriousness and then take a look at something else happening in the world and its never stupid or unfunny.

(To reiterate, I'm reviewing the most recent one, Oct 10th and haven't really seen a full ep before just they occasional thing on YouTube)

If you make it your only political themed show and since it airs once I week I think you should give it a shot.

Desus & Mero seems like the best option for people that want to watch someone tell them news headlines and say funny things about them without that whole pesky "addressing the issues" part.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
The barn entire loving farm and the 106 acres upon which it resides is on fire. Sorry that people haven’t quit shrieking in terror yet?

Watergate took something like 2-3 years to play out. It’s been less than a year. Buckle up

Edit: the president of the united states in 2017, having just cowed a private company into bending to his will by threatening their income, has now threatened to revoke the broadcasting license of a news outlet for reporting things he doesn’t like.

Whether or not he succeeds at silencing a free press, it is insanity that he tried at all. this isn’t Bush Lied, People Died, my dudes.

pwn fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Oct 13, 2017

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Trump can't actually do that though, at least not the way he seems to think he can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

He can't right now. But it's not comforting that the head of the FCC won't condemn his statements.

The real issue is 2018. If he can rally his base with statements like these and win elections for people that will do what he wants in Congress, there's really no end to the rules that could potentially be
rewritten with congressional support.

As depressing as this past election was, 2018 could be so much worse. I think the best we can hope for as a county at this point is an opposition Congress in 2018 that can prevent further damage, but if that doesn't happen we're going to be going down a very dark path long term.

• Locked thread