Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Is Destiny 2 good or just hype like 1?
Destiny 1 sucked. Destiny 2 is a game I've put like 80 hours into in under a month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Mist has dissipated (been canceled.)

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kaworu posted:

Why would anyone even WANT to watch ST:D (lol) on Netflix when they can watch the amazing new Japanese live-action show

FINAL FANTASY XIV: DAD OF LIGHT:
One day when Akio (Yűdai Chiba) was a little boy, his father (Ren Ôsugi) bought him a copy of the role-playing game Final Fantasy, and unleashed a world of magic and adventure for both of them. But the years passed, Akio turned into an adult, and his father got so busy at work that the two grew apart. But this year, Akio vows, things are going to be different. FINAL FANTASY XIV: DAD OF LIGHT chronicles what Akio hopes will be his greatest adventure ever: By buying his dad the 14th version of Final Fantasy and teaching him how to play it, Akio can secretly play along as a fellow character, go on a virtual quest with his dad, talk to him, and get to know him, and finally the two will conquer the Final Fantasy land of Twintannia. Then, Akio hopes, he and his dad will have the kind of relationship where they can talk about anything.

Guys.

Guys, this is a real television show on netflix. With episodes and actors playing characters who are meant to be believable and dramatic. I just feel like:psypop:

There's way better Japanese live action shows, just from me stumbling across it on youtube.

There was one that was a cross between Hercules the TV show and Airplane that was great, forgot the name tho.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

There's way better Japanese live action shows

Nobuta wo Produce is still legit one of the best shows I've ever seen. It's really heartbreaking/warming.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I would get Destiny 2 but I'm too busy playing Splatoon 2 still and also Rayman Legends for the third time

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Stuck watching Seal Team right now, it opens with the limpest low-tension firefight I think I've seen. Bad even for CBS.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The updated Hulu app needs to die in a rainbow fire.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
While it has a steep leaning curve, I actually like the new PS4 Hulu interface. :shrug:

Amazon is the one that needs to step up their game.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

While it has a steep leaning curve, I actually like the new PS4 Hulu interface. :shrug:

Amazon is the one that needs to step up their game.

Why does it take like 5 steps to go from an episode of a show to the show's main page? Unforgivable.

The worst, even more unforgivable thing? When you unpause a show, the hud doesn't go away for like 5 seconds, so it's just uglying up your show. What the gently caress is that?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's far from perfect for sure, but in general I've had few issues with it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Okay, but it's worse than it was before. If you're going to totally overhaul your UI, it should be to provide a better experience, not a worse one. It wasn't perfect before either, and a good change would have been welcome, but I don't see how they added any positives, and they certainly added some negatives.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
So in addition to Designated Survivor coming back tonight, the 716th season of Law & Order: SVU also came back, as well as the 5th season of The Blacklist.

I watch absurd amounts of TV and saw no ads for any of this.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Gonz posted:

So in addition to Designated Survivor coming back tonight, the 716th season of Law & Order: SVU also came back, as well as the 5th season of The Blacklist.

I watch absurd amounts of TV and saw no ads for any of this.

Maybe they're thinking that when a show has been successful enough they don't need ads because anyone who liked it would see the DVR notification and go "oh hey that show I like is back"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Wandle Cax posted:

It's fantastic. If you have any interest in documentaries or crime shows or satire you need to watch it. The sign of a great satire is that it functions as an example of what it is satirizing without being a parody and this show fits that bill perfectly. The humor is entirely that is is a comprehensive serious documentary about a mundane high school subject and it's executed to perfection. Watch this show!

Seconding this. The first few episodes take a while to get going (still good!) But once it gets off the ground, holy poo poo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Hugh Hefner just died. If you're interested, Amazon did a docudrama called American Playboy earlier this year. I watched the first few episodes and found it a boring, thinly veiled advertisement, but the story of how they got the Marilyn Monroe pics for their first issue was interesting.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Hugh Hefner just died.

Whelp, at least I didn't learn of a celebrity death from the political cartoons thread for once!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ABC wanted to axe SHIELD but Disney vetoed it.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Escobarbarian posted:

I would get Destiny 2 but I'm too busy playing Splatoon 2 still and also Rayman Legends for the third time

My game queue is so long and every time I go to play Dishonored 2 or the new XCOM expansion or the Final Fantasy X games that have been sitting there for ages I somehow end up dinking away at Bejewled or something equally inane instead.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

My immortal soul is going to be consumed almost entirely by the SNES Mini at some point in the next 24 hours. See you all in Hell.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

zoux posted:

GRU General: "Hey Stalin, we've decided to cancel your favorite radio show."

Stalin: "Nah."

GRU General: "Oh."

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The tribulations of Disney's relationship with ABC was one of my favourite parts of DisneyWar.

Michael Eisner was so sure that Who Wants To Be a Millionaire would be an evergreen hit for ABC that he turned down CSI and Survivor, among other things.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The thing that confuses me about that is, it's not like Agents of SHIELD really does much in the way of marketing for the MCU movies these days. They'll mention a couple of the developments off-hand and then get on with whatever story they're telling, and the Marvel movies don't reference the series in any way. So it's odd that Disney would want to keep it around for that reason.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Maxwell Lord posted:

The thing that confuses me about that is, it's not like Agents of SHIELD really does much in the way of marketing for the MCU movies these days. They'll mention a couple of the developments off-hand and then get on with whatever story they're telling, and the Marvel movies don't reference the series in any way. So it's odd that Disney would want to keep it around for that reason.

It's probably just so there's something to keep Ike Perlmutter occupied and away from the movie division.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

My game queue is so long and every time I go to play Dishonored 2 or the new XCOM expansion or the Final Fantasy X games that have been sitting there for ages I somehow end up dinking away at Bejewled or something equally inane instead.

Yeah, I also have to finish Last Of Us Remastered and Wolfenstein New Order, get past the prologue of Horizon Zero Dawn, and complete god knows what else I've forgotten about OH YEAH Night In The Woods

[quote="“Gonz”" post="“476844862”"]
My immortal soul is going to be consumed almost entirely by the SNES Mini at some point in the next 24 hours. See you all in Hell.
[/quote]

also this. I have a problem

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I really should get around to finishing Horizon. It's so dang good and so dang massive

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
ts:dr

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

precision posted:

I really should get around to finishing Horizon. It's so dang good and so dang massive
I started Horizon not expecting much from it and I ended up putting 40+ hours into it over a few days. There was one week there where that game completely took over my life. I didn't work, I barely slept...I just wanted to find out more about the story because it appealed that much to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I stopped playing it because I kept not being able to avoid the robot dinosaur things and dying and then a couple days later I suddenly remembered YOU CAN ROLL, IDIOT but I never got back into it

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
One of the podcats I listen to was trying to convince me that Neo Yokio is good. I think I'm still going to pass.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

This year will be the 5th season, it's probably for syndication reasons.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Neo Yokio is....I dunno if I can call it good, but I had a good time watching it. It's INCREDIBLY niche, and manages to be both incredibly low-key and utterly absurd simultaneously. But if you completely hate Jaden Smith (as opposed to just not caring about him), forget it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
If we're doing games chat I feel it is my duty to mention that Prey is an amazing game that got almost no real promotion so a lot of people aren't even aware that it exists let alone is the second coming of System Shock. If you have any enjoyment of "immersive sims" like Deus Ex or System Shock then it's legit one of the best ones ever made.

The alternate universe setting it takes place in rules too, where despite being the 2030s everything still uses magnetic tape and modernist wood-paneled designs. Even the soundtrack kicks rear end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRdx2tbUFI

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

zoux posted:

Well they're moving it to Fridays so consider it dead by the spring IMO.

Edit: I tried to wade into the Orville thread and hoo boy do you have some dumbs in there. McFarlane sure is a poo poo-fly attractant.

Also about the Hulu app, it's a perfect example of engineers being told to make it "look prettier" with zero concern with functionality. It's pretty bad.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Sep 28, 2017

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

zoux posted:

History has a new drama show starting in December about the Knights Templar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWJMrwu_nh0

I remember when we scoffed at Vikings but that turned out to be pretty good and Hatfields and McCoys was excellent. Honestly, I'd be fine with History pivoting to mainly historical fiction drama over Swamp Gold or whatever. Anytime I've gotten really into a historical period and read a lot of non-fiction about it, it's because I was inspired to find out more by a really good piece of historical fiction.

Will they be fighting the Assassins? That's what I need to know.

Also,

NEWSFLASH! SEAL Team is hot garbage!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Netflix to invest half a billion in Canadian content.

Looking forward to Canadian Vandal

Also Megyn Kelly's show continues to go just great

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Before we got to the xmas season for her to insist that santa and jesus are white men even.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

IRQ posted:

Before we got to the xmas season for her to insist that santa and jesus are white men even.

Her thinking watching gay themed stuff makes you gay is pretty much the sum total of the right's beliefs on sexuality

This Jaden Smith anime THAT I WILL NEVER WATCH is it just famous actors doing the voices or is it an American production. I'm asking if the characters make 10 minute barely coherent monologues about philosophy and constantly state what they are feeling and thinking at all times.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Also,

NEWSFLASH! SEAL Team is hot garbage!

Shockingly, it finished third in its time slot in terms of audience share, but with around 3.5 million more total viewers than Modern Family (Making it the most watched program of the night in terms of sheer viewership.) Simply because it's on CBS wedged between Survivor and Criminal Minds, we can count on it sticking around to passively brainwash its audience of age 50+ viewers into further deifying the military-industrial complex.

zoux posted:

This Jaden Smith anime THAT I WILL NEVER WATCH is it just famous actors doing the voices or is it an American production. I'm asking if the characters make 10 minute barely coherent monologues about philosophy and constantly state what they are feeling and thinking at all times.

American, created by the lead singer of Vampire Weekend and produced by ex-Adult Swim exec Nick Weidenfeld (He developed it for Fox's late night ADHD block and Netflix picked it up after ADHD was axed.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All sport commentary shows (ESPN, Fox Sports, etc) are poo poo and have been poo poo since Stuart Scott died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wait, there's one show about a seal team called "SEAL team" and another show about a seal team called "SIX"?

Can they please air back to back?

• Locked thread