Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I guess? My point was, Man of Steel is kind of an all ages thing. It's just mature enough for adults, and uh...I guess for kids in some way.

Where's TTG is made for kids and adults bitch about it because it's not what they want. They don't factor in that it isn't for them. Which makes it weird.

Pictured: A joke for children.

(Like most kids shows, TTG features a lot of 'subtle' jokes designed for adults. The people whining that it isn't the original Teen Titans are not the same as someone watching the show with their kid.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I predict it will be about them being grounded by the Justice League and trying to prove they are serious heroes, then saving the day by being wacky idiots and learning they gotta be themselves loving everything up and everyone dies.

At some point Night Begins to Shine will play.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

We have the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie as precedent, for better or for worse.

I say do a 12 minute episode and then the other 88 minutes a sequel to Blue.

ATHF: The Movie remains an incredible film and worth watching, especially in light of the current superhero boom.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yeah, I was about to say, the joy of TTG is that it's absolutely against there being a lesson.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

(Like most kids shows, TTG features a lot of 'subtle' jokes designed for adults. The people whining that it isn't the original Teen Titans are not the same as someone watching the show with their kid.)

It's still for kids. Doesn't matter if they throw in jokes for adults or not.

It's super weird to get mad about the show existing because they didn't get the show they wanted.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

It's still for kids. Doesn't matter if they throw in jokes for adults or not.

They had an entire episode about buying property and building equity. At this point it's a show for nobody with jokes thrown in for the writers. The fact that it's still a good show in spite of this is either a testament to the skill of the writers or evidence of widespread emotional disturbance in our modern society.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The argument is very easy people. Adult men yelling at cartoons for kids is bad and weird.

Way more weird than yelling at live action movies.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

The argument is very easy people. Adult men yelling at cartoons for kids is bad and weird.

Way more weird than yelling at live action movies.

No, it's just as weird to yell at live action movies for kids actually. Probably weirder even.

The "Well, they're actually ALL AGES films" is like the "It's an action figure, not a doll" of movie conversations.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
I keep yelling at movies but they never yell back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ImpAtom posted:

No, it's just as weird to yell at live action movies for kids actually. Probably weirder even.

The "Well, they're actually ALL AGES films" is like the "It's an action figure, not a doll" of movie conversations.

Nah

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Man of Steel absolutely would have benefited from a musical number about how much Clark loves pie.
What an utterly stupid thing to say.

*Any* movie could be improved with a musical number about why pie is amazing. It should be such a commonplace feature that theres an Oscar awarded to the Best Pie Song. Its a feature that should have a rich history with different eras.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I keep yelling at movies but they never yell back.

Dont go in that dark room!

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I guess I'm a child(man-child) because I don't get the joke.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The joke doesn't work in a still shot that doesn't explain what's in the bowl.

The bowl is filled with meat and his hand is beating it.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Detective No. 27 posted:

The joke doesn't work in a still shot that doesn't explain what's in the bowl.

The bowl is filled with meat and his hand is beating it.

So he's "beating his meat?" Pretty sure that is a still a joke for children.

Yestermoment
Jul 27, 2007

UmOk posted:

So he's "beating his meat?" Pretty sure that is a still a joke for children.

Ah yes. Kids jacking off. Definitely a children's joke.

And definitely :airquote: high-concept :airquote: .

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Masturbation, the last refuge of the adult.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Sep 28, 2017

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Yestermoment posted:

Ah yes. Kids jacking off. Definitely a children's joke.

And definitely :airquote: high-concept :airquote: .

"Kids jacking off" is a weird thing to post.

But yes, kids making jokes about jacking off is childish.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I jacked off a lot when I was a kid. Hell, I still do.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

where, exactly, do you draw the line between "smoothbrain movie for children" and "Real poo poo"

is it entirely based on the subject matter and/or source material? if so, I'm curious to hear your argument about how Ghost World, From Hell, Logan, or Super are actually intended for children. not all of them are good (I don't actually like the film of From Hell very much) but all of the above are pretty inarguably targeted towards adults.

is it based on the marketing? this is a stretch, because most comic book movies quite literally are marketed to everybody, from infants to the elderly. this has actually created problems for several of them when the films themselves target a slightly narrower age range; Batman Returns and The Dark Knight both loving traumatized small children that the films were marketed to, and I remember similar rumblings about Guardians, Man of Steel, and BvS (though not quite as loud).

is it simply based on them being big-budget action movies? because you're then saying Die Hard is unworthy of analysis and you can eat my sack if that's a hill you're gonna die on.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I understand what it's like to hate a new show for sucking. I went from Batman: The Animated Series, to Superman: The Animated Series, to The New Batman/Superman Adventures, to Justice League, to Justice League: Unlimited. Justice League: Unlimited aired its last episode in 2006 and everything since has just been varying levels of garbage. Look at me, a grown man postin' about cartoons. Feelin pretty pathetic about now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope you're over it now and can move on, unlike these weird Teen Titan people.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

This has got to be the dumbest derail in this threads history, and that's saying something

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

I understand what it's like to hate a new show for sucking. I went from Batman: The Animated Series, to Superman: The Animated Series, to The New Batman/Superman Adventures, to Justice League, to Justice League: Unlimited. Justice League: Unlimited aired its last episode in 2006 and everything since has just been varying levels of garbage. Look at me, a grown man postin' about cartoons. Feelin pretty pathetic about now

Look at this poor man who never saw Batman The Brave and the Bold.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Detective No. 27 posted:

Look at this poor man who never saw Batman The Brave and the Bold.

That was high-quality garbage, The Batman was better.

DISCLAIMER: I am one of those people that think Batman '66 was just 'Okay'.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Random grabbag of Comic News from today:

- Infinity War trailer (not the same shown at Comic-Con) will be coming to theaters in December. Likely coming out online before that.
- Taika Waititi in talks with Marvel to direct a second MCU movie. It is unlikely to be another Thor movie.
- Fox executives and Olivia Munn say that The Dark Phoenix Saga is likely to be a two-part movie (why?)
- Geoff Johns says that Ezra Miller is the "fan favorite" of Justice League test screenings and that test screenings and editing for Justice League will continue into mid-October.
- WB is considering a Lego Joker movie for 2019.
- Robin Wright says that she is not currently slated to return for Wonder Woman 2 and isn't in the current draft of the script, but that she would return if asked and there is plenty of time for that to change.
- Marvel won't release details about most Phase 4 films until after Infinity War is released.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Sep 28, 2017

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's so crazy that those LEGO movies would have been direct-to-video a decade ago. They're like the Disney Animated DTV sequels of the 90s but theatrical.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That was high-quality garbage, The Batman was better.

DISCLAIMER: I am one of those people that think Batman '66 was just 'Okay'.

:confused:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Sep 28, 2017

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

He lives up to his name.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Random grabbag of Comic News from today:

- Taika Waititi in talks with Marvel to direct a second MCU movie. It is unlikely to be another Thor movie.
- Geoff Johns says that Ezra Miller is the "fan favorite" of Justice League test screenings

edited down to only contain actual good things

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why the hell wouldn't kids like Logan? It's got a kid kicking all kinds of rear end.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Well now

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/913380872467881985

https://twitter.com/dceufacts/status/913386998756368384

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That outfit is killing me.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That outfit is killing me.

I was thinking the same thing!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

feedmyleg posted:

It's so crazy that those LEGO movies would have been direct-to-video a decade ago. They're like the Disney Animated DTV sequels of the 90s but theatrical.

Most of their output has been direct-to-video but after LEGO Movie and Batman they got cocky and thought all their properties could be given the theatrical treatment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

where, exactly, do you draw the line between "smoothbrain movie for children" and "Real poo poo"

is it entirely based on the subject matter and/or source material? if so, I'm curious to hear your argument about how Ghost World, From Hell, Logan, or Super are actually intended for children. not all of them are good (I don't actually like the film of From Hell very much) but all of the above are pretty inarguably targeted towards adults.

is it based on the marketing? this is a stretch, because most comic book movies quite literally are marketed to everybody, from infants to the elderly. this has actually created problems for several of them when the films themselves target a slightly narrower age range; Batman Returns and The Dark Knight both loving traumatized small children that the films were marketed to, and I remember similar rumblings about Guardians, Man of Steel, and BvS (though not quite as loud).

is it simply based on them being big-budget action movies? because you're then saying Die Hard is unworthy of analysis and you can eat my sack if that's a hill you're gonna die on.

A film for children isn't the same as 'smoothbrain' or whatever it is you want to say. A lot of kid-focused material still can have things to say, feature actual violence and uncomfortable material, and so-on. It is however often sanitized, played down or emphasized in such a way as not to hurt the impact of selling these characters and toys to children and teenagers. Superman, at the end of the day, wants you to buy the Superman toys and always veers towards being as safe as it can be. The fact that people take the safest and lamest criticism of anything as an assault on 'their Superman' despite it almost exclusively being taken directly from the comic books is on them, not a sign the film is a startling revelation or whatever.

"Children were sad and scared" doesn't make it not for kids. If it was then Secret of NIMH, Transformers: The Movie, Gremlins, The Neverending Story, etc would suddenly not qualify. Children enjoy being scared.They remember it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Inescapable Duck posted:

Why the hell wouldn't kids like Logan? It's got a kid kicking all kinds of rear end.

The stuff with Logan and Laura kicking rear end, yeah, sure, kids would dig that (it's still brutal enough that I wouldn't want to show it to any kids, but being realistic, they'd think it's awesome, not horrifying).

The problem is when the movie gets into stuff like Laura's backstory. Or the major character deaths in it. Or... pretty much anything with X-24. I think maybe a preteen could handle it, but absolutely no younger, because I wouldn't want my theoretical kid to get loving nightmares.

e: okay, I didn't see your post, and that kind of makes sense and I have less beef with your argument now. It seems like you're not really trying to draw a line between "movies that are worth thinking about" and "movies for kids," but rather just assessing their target audience, and that's fair.

It's actually pretty funny that you mention TF: The Movie, because the way kids reacted to Optimus' death is like half of why I would go "hell no" to a kid wanting to watch Logan.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Sep 28, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The new IT movie is a movie for kids.

And people seemed to have keyed in on that because when I went to see it, a whole lot of families and their kids were there.

Weirdly enough, a crying baby only helped the atmosphere

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MacheteZombie posted:

I was thinking the same thing!

Nice uh, caftan and ascot?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
He's dressed like a less ironic Noel Fielding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

It's actually pretty funny that you mention TF: The Movie, because the way kids reacted to Optimus' death is like half of why I would go "hell no" to a kid wanting to watch Logan.

I suppose it depends there. Tragic death scenes (even if they are undone later) I think have purposes. My little sister is old enough that she grew up watching Avengers and she was really sad about Phil Coulson dying. ("he came back in the TV show" wasn't really a thing any of us knew/cared about ta the time.) Logan is more violent but the subject matter isn't really that different from any other superhero film. The part I think would be *hardest* for a kid isn't actually the deaths but Patrick Stewart's uncomfortable dementia... and enough kids have experience with aging grandparents that it's not exactly inappropriate.

• Locked thread