Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For easy DIY, you can buy a flat pack from Parts Express. 4 cubic foot sealed comes cnc cut. You just glue it together and slap an Ultimax 18 in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I'm glad I found this thread. I had just read about Atmos digital surround stuff today and was I trigued by the prospects of getting one of those systems for my Xbox one S 4k TV setup I got. What's a good sub $1000 full package deal that is either a soundbar or 5.1 that's good enough to enjoy Atmos digital sound without being overly expensive or requiring a ton of setup? I'd probably not be mounting speakers or running cable and only really need front facing speakers. Appreciate it this is a good thread.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I could DIY a regular sealed or ported sub without having to buy a flat pack, but that THT looks like more than I'd really want to tackle.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I find it somewhat mind boggling that you can now buy $1500+ dollar sound bars from Best Buy.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

There's no reason to do Atmos of you're not already doing at least 5.1 with surrounds.

Atmos just adds overhead speakers (or speakers that reflect off of an overhead surface).

So instead of 5.1, you'd have 5.1.2 with 2 Atmos speakers or 5.1.4 with 4. Or 7.1.2, 7.1.4, etc.

Having a sound bar and Atmos defeats the purpose in my opinion because you don't have rear surrounds.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

scrubs season six posted:

I find it somewhat mind boggling that you can now buy $1500+ dollar sound bars from Best Buy.

They're getting pretty good audio-wise but that's compared to other sound bars. Value-wise they still suck compared to normal setups.

If I was going to spend $1000 to start out I'd go like $300 receiver, $300 subwoofer, $400 LR speakers.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

They're getting pretty good audio-wise but that's compared to other sound bars. Value-wise they still suck compared to normal setups.

If I was going to spend $1000 to start out I'd go like $300 receiver, $300 subwoofer, $400 LR speakers.

Yeah that's basically exactly what I was thinking. But if you gotta have something skinny that mounts on the wall for your spouse to approve I guess a good soundbar is better than a lovely soundbar which is better than the speakers in the TV.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

For WAF, in wall speakers are great and better sound than a sound bar.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I could DIY a regular sealed or ported sub without having to buy a flat pack, but that THT looks like more than I'd really want to tackle.

...which is why there are registered builders on the site you can pay to build one for you.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

evobatman posted:

Factory reset it to make sure it's not any of the settings causing it.

Having a newborn makes everything take forever. Finally tried this, no dice. It initialized and said "complete setup on TV" or whatever exactly it said but no HDMI output to TV to make it possible.

Pretty sure this happened to me with one of my Denons and I ended up returning/replacing it (rather than sending it in for repair) because it was still within that time period. It was definitely an issue with the Denons HDMI hardware.

Time to contact Denon, since this is already a refurb unit hopefully I can get a replacement unit.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Just moved into a place where I will need to ceiling/wall mount my Bookshelf speakers for surround sound. I'd like them in the 2 back corners of the room, meaning either a ceiling or wall mount is an option, but ceiling would probably be easier.

Anyone have recommendations for a good ceiling/wall mount that can support 10.5 pound speakers?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

So I'm guessing from what I'm hearing that buying an Onkyo refurb from a bestbuy marketplace seller might be a bad idea? Looking for something with 5+ HDMI inputs, more the better, 4K passthrough and ~100 watts @ 8ohms.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I've had great luck with both an Onkyo refurb and an Integra (Onkyo) refurb.

The thing that plagued them were hdmi issues and the refurbs have that issue resolved from what I've seen.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Again plagued by poor selection in Canada, especially on the east coast, I had sized up one Onkyo for 399, the next nearest thing with the power and features I want is a loving $1099 (on sale) Marantz.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I've been posting about it in the 2 channel thread but I figured you guys might be interested since they're mostly about vintage stuff. I've been receiver shopping for most of this year, trying to find something capable of driving 3x 4 ohm speakers with 4k HDMI switching. It was annoying and frustrating, and everything that looked promising was well over a grand. I spotted an Integra DTM-7 refurb on Accessories4Less for $450 and figured what the hell. Surprise surprise I love it. It sounds great, took 5 minutes to set up and seems to work perfectly. The remote is butt but I knew that going in and since HDMI-CEC seems to actually work I don't need to handle it much. The mixdown from surround is good, a lot of older receivers literally threw out the LFE channel but I watched Mad Max last weekend and it gave my sub a workout. I do miss having more control over dialog levels but I think they've done a pretty good job. Once I get a new TV and 4K apple TV I'll be able to report more on the HDMI [it is an Onkyo after all] just for audio this thing is great.

There's an Onkyo-badged version of it called the TX-8270 which can be had for $350 refurb on AC4L or 500 new. Integra claims they hand select the finest components etc. but I'm pretty sure they're identical, the Integra just has a fancier front panel [I actually think the Onkyo looks better], better warranty [2 years on my refurb] and some extra installer stuff like 12v triggers and RS-232.

I also got some Canton Chrono 502.2 bookshelves at like 60% off retail [the ones that say 20% off get even cheaper when you add them to the cart] from there and they sound great. Running them in 4 ohm mode, they sounded better so I'd call them a good deal if you have a beefy amp. They're definitely more of a "music speaker" than my old DefTechs but I mean that in a good way. Switching from 3.1 to 2.1 has changed the sound a lot too so I can't pin it on one thing.

All in all for ~$800 shipped I feel pretty good about the whole package, you could easily go cheaper with an 8270 and less obscure speakers.

Is there anyone who makes good learning remotes out there besides Harmony? I just need something simple with like 6 input buttons and volume control.

qirex fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 27, 2017

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

I'm running a refurb Integra 40.2 avr and it's been great. No issues, hdmi or otherwise.

Have you looked at the Harmony Hub with companion? The companion is a simple remote without the touchscreen and frills and had a good layout and hand feel.

Nice thing about the hub is that you can control it with a Google Home or Amazon Echo which is cool.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Scrapez posted:

I'm running a refurb Integra 40.2 avr and it's been great. No issues, hdmi or otherwise.

Have you looked at the Harmony Hub with companion? The companion is a simple remote without the touchscreen and frills and had a good layout and hand feel.

Nice thing about the hub is that you can control it with a Google Home or Amazon Echo which is cool.

But how's the mouth feel?

I probably need to start looking into this stuff again. I had a Harmony 9 years ago and I hated it, the buttons and backlighting were both worse than the remote that came with my DVR. But I'm setting up my HT again after moving and if I don't get something set up I don't think my wife will ever use it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I super turbo hate the current Harmony remotes, too much crap I don't need and literally can't work with CEC. The third party remote market has basically entirely vanished outside of Logitech and some weird Chinese garbage. Harmony's current hard button remote has 6 buttons for smart home control, a number pad and a bunch of other stuff I absolutely do not need. Plus the fact that I'd have to disable what is apparently the only fully working HDMI-CEC system on earth. Harmony is the opposite of what I want.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just got an LG OLED and my receiver is ancient and doesn't do 4k+HDR passthrough. What's a decent sub $400 receiver? I would prefer 6 HDMI in's (switch, pc, ps3, roku, cable box). Can I get something that cheap or do I need to jump to $500? I have a 5.1 setup and not going to get any more speakers.

Edit: Any reason not to get this one:

Onkyo TX-NR575 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVFY3M8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1E2TW2U59EI3M&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE

GreenNight fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 28, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

How's that OLED

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

It's pretty great but I haven't done much with it yet. Having buddies over tomorrow to help mount and run cables.

Kinfolk Jones
Oct 31, 2010

Faaaaaaaaast

GreenNight posted:

I just got an LG OLED and my receiver is ancient and doesn't do 4k+HDR passthrough. What's a decent sub $400 receiver? I would prefer 6 HDMI in's (switch, pc, ps3, roku, cable box). Can I get something that cheap or do I need to jump to $500? I have a 5.1 setup and not going to get any more speakers.

Edit: Any reason not to get this one:

Onkyo TX-NR575 7.2 Channel Network A/V Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XVFY3M8/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1E2TW2U59EI3M&colid=2PSI31R6E3MFE

Denon S930H is $369 on Accessories4less

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kinfolk Jones posted:

Denon S930H is $369 on Accessories4less

drat that's pretty great. Do you know if they accept Paypal. Have a few hundred bucks sitting in there.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

GreenNight posted:

drat that's pretty great. Do you know if they accept Paypal. Have a few hundred bucks sitting in there.

I just used Paypal on there.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

qirex posted:

I super turbo hate the current Harmony remotes, too much crap I don't need and literally can't work with CEC. The third party remote market has basically entirely vanished outside of Logitech and some weird Chinese garbage. Harmony's current hard button remote has 6 buttons for smart home control, a number pad and a bunch of other stuff I absolutely do not need. Plus the fact that I'd have to disable what is apparently the only fully working HDMI-CEC system on earth. Harmony is the opposite of what I want.

I picked up a 650 on the cheap second hand and ended up giving it to my brother. What a convoluted mess.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

qirex posted:

That's kinda the response I expected tbh.

Scrapez
Feb 27, 2004

Not sure why such the vitriol for the Harmony remotes.

The only one that sucks is the Ultimate due to touchscreen placement.

The companion and Elite models are excellent. The hub is great for setups where you have an equipment closet. No need for ir repeaters.

Once you get things setup they work really well.

Problem with CEC is that it might work great today, you add a new device into the mix and poof! poo poo is all screwed.

I mean if you can afford Control4 or Creston, definitely that will be easy better but Harmony works well as the poor man's version.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

doesn't the CEC issue largely lie with the individual manufactures and there not being some sort of CEC standard

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
Never use "Actions" on Harmony remotes, only per-device settings. That does away with 98% of the issues I've ever encountered. I have a 650, and besides the arbitrary 5 device limit, it works just fine for me. CEC and Harmony remotes are two completely different subjects that shouldn't overlap, so I have no idea what you people are doing to get those kinds of problems. When I turn on my TV, it turns on my home theatre receiver. When I turn on my PS4 with the controller, it turns on my TV and home theatre receiver. I can also turn on the PS4 with the Bravia Sync Device menu.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

evobatman posted:

Never use "Actions" on Harmony remotes, only per-device settings.

Wow that would make me never want to use my 650. I don't really have any complex set up and my actions (Watch Cable, Watch a movie, open streaming options) all work pretty great. If i had to individually go into each device to manage them it would be easier for me to just keep all the remotes around.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Turn off CEC, buy a 650, and stop spergin. It's a very good remote.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Wait I was just thinking do you even need CEC if you have a harmony

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wait I was just thinking do you even need CEC if you have a harmony

You don't but a lot of times it's just turned on by default.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I mean I get that I'm just confused as to why you'd need CEC if you have a harmony anything, isn't that kind of the point of it all

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

Turn off CEC, buy a 650, and stop spergin. It's a very good remote.
Love this forum. I literally said I wanted a remote to switch between 6 devices with volume control and y'all are suggesting the pre-X1 comcast remote with a screen stuck in the top that I have to run special software to maintain. I know Harmonys work great but I literally don't want what a Harmony does. I don't need it, I have no interest in janitoring my remote control and they're ugly and overcomplicated. I'm aware of their product line and if they made a remote I liked I'd have already purchased it.

You don't all have to buy the exact same goon approved stuff you know. This is how so many people ended up with those awful Pioneer speakers.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

qirex posted:

Love this forum. I literally said I wanted a remote to switch between 6 devices with volume control and y'all are suggesting the pre-X1 comcast remote with a screen stuck in the top that I have to run special software to maintain. I know Harmonys work great but I literally don't want what a Harmony does. I don't need it, I have no interest in janitoring my remote control and they're ugly and overcomplicated. I'm aware of their product line and if they made a remote I liked I'd have already purchased it.

You don't all have to buy the exact same goon approved stuff you know. This is how so many people ended up with those awful Pioneer speakers.

What you want basically doesn't exist so i dunno why you're getting so mad, my post wasn't really targeted at you. Enjoy CEC hell I guess?

The up top screen is good, the media buttons are in the right place. There's no garbage smart home crap on it. The janitoring part is essentially a one time thing and you never have to touch it unless you change a device. Who gives a poo poo about the pre comcast thing? This isn't some "goon approved" thing, it's a great remote and better than all of their new hub stuff.

Like I get that you know your poo poo and all but sometimes you fall a little too far down the AVSforums hole.

Or just the Harmonty hub app on your phone and stop complaining about the remote? It's like you're not willing to compromise on anything and get mad when someone says hey, why not do this?

tl;dr, get a 650 and decide between your Switch and WiiU or deal with CEC/smartphone apps.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Sep 29, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Oh man all that time I spent ~~~***~*~*janitoring*~*~***~~~ my 650. All that 5-10 minutes of it.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
I've given up on remotes, I just have all my gear on wheeled carts and I plug stuff in and out as I need. :smug:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Variable 5 posted:

I've given up on remotes, I just have all my gear on wheeled carts and I plug stuff in and out as I need. :smug:

smdh, get a task rabbit person to do it for you for the ultimate universal remote. Wait, they only support 12 devices. Nevermind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

It's just funny that I'm like "I don't want a Harmony" and every response is "yes, you do." I don't need fewer remotes, I want something simpler than the one I've got for the receiver. Aaaanyway, I'm looking in to either a replacement Integra/Onkyo remote for their home theater receivers or maybe one of these Sideclick deals for my Apple TV remote. If nothing else it'll be less likely to fall down between the couch cushions. It'll be a little weird to explain to people that V means Sonos but whatever.