Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

HycoCam posted:

In other news--the stretch goals are all Star Citizen lore.

As is Star Citizen and Squadron 42 :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mangoose
Dec 11, 2007

Come out with your pants down!

Percelus posted:

i'm actually a mongoose in a man suit

What the gently caress? That's MY thing

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ZenMaster posted:

HEY IT WAS GYLLENHAL ORIGINALLY JUST WHAt R U TRYIN TO PULL M8

:ssh:

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I'm looking into those, they have come a long way recently

They have, and especially in regard to VR they are awesome. I got into one after I had the pleasure to talk to a BMW racing pro at a bar/after an event where some of my VR stuff was used. He also has a very nice racing sim rig at home, and told me he decided against a 3 or 4dof solutions as soon as he had the chance to use a simple 2dof seat mover, even without VR, because he said it gives him most of the tactile feedback he needs for simple track checks. So I got myself one of those, and was underwhelmed for about an hour, because I thought it would at least give 1% of what it is like to sit in a racing taxi next to one of those lunatics. But three hours later, and after dailing it in, it is awesome, and especially breaking gives you a better feedback than a complete rig mover in similar cost regions. The thought that it moves you towards/away from the pedals is a non-concern as soon as you use it. Even with games like Elite Dangerous, where the seat movement is only influenced by your joystick input (E:D doesn't offer memory hooks for telemetry which the seat mover can use), is a heck of fun. My last concern regarding a simple seat mover: up/down movement. For example Nordschleife Flugplatz or kleiner/großer Sprunghügel or Spa Eau Rouge Depression work very well, if you have good FFB. The seat mover basically gives you a certain kind of shake which is stronger than other shakes, coupled with the completely free turning wheel (or exactly the other way around during Eau Rouge entry) is so loving nuts that your brain picks it up immidiatelly. Turning the seat mover off is like someone turns your FFB off...you feel stupid and helpless without it, once you get used to it.

If you ever find your way to Krautland, you are invidited to destroy my laptimes in my simpit :)

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

tuo posted:

The thing with them is, that most people will tell you they are overpriced poo poo. Then you look at the office chairs made for people who sit in office chairs all day, and will find out they cost even more.

I sat in one of the later ones for four years, and it was awesome, and I didn't want to go back. It cost > 1000 dollars though. So I tried some poo poo, and opted for a discounted DXRacer Drifting Series. And while I hate to sit on one of those "gamer chairs" because it seems stupid, it is actually very good, and well worth the discounted price, and similar to the loving expensive poo poo I sat on before. In between I sat on "normal" office chairs, like the ones that are cozy, but after two hours my whole body hurt. The expensive one as well as the DXRacer one if adjustec correctly feel awful at first because they don't allow you to get into a bad posture, and that's actually good.

I still am sure there is a way to get the same cheaper, but I am happy with that stupid gaming chair, and I use it since couple of years, without many complaints. Then again, I got a height adjustable desk a year ago, and so tend to switch between standing shitposting and sitting shitposting anyway

E: I'd like to add one thing: I have two loving cats, that claw everything that is not pink. I actually don't know if they would claw pink stuff, I don't have it. They claw the loving gaming chair, and it holds up like a champ, in contrast to the stupid "grown up you're a loving CEO now"-chairs I used before at home office.

AP posted:

I think they look dumb as hell but I needed a new chair 12 months ago and bought a "AK Racing Gaming Chair". Absolutely love it, well worth the price, though I waited a few weeks and got it on special offer. I generally research stuff for ages, check out youtube videos etc as you can learn a lot and avoid rushing into something you'll regret.
Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for. :tipshat:

zcrow posted:

Go to Ikea and buy a decent cloth office chair. Putting the word 'gaming' on it is just bullshit marketing wank to justify an inflated price tag.
I am actually using an Ikea chair ("Markus" I think?) right now, and all in all it's the best office chair I ever had. It's just a little bit worn out after seven years.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Star Citizen began development in 2011 with prototyping work done by Chris Roberts and contractors.

Since that time, Creative Assembly has released 4 Total War Games, including Rome 2, Attila, Warhammer, and Warhammer II (today).

Oh, and Shogun 2 was released in early 2011.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

SelenicMartian posted:

High voltage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2a4gyJsY0mc

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

If you ever find your way to Krautland, you are invidited to destroy my laptimes in my simpit :)

Sounds like a plan!

I've been looking at the seat movers cos you don;t need the monitors to move in VR, they are still expensive but more reasonable than they used to be by a long way

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
I see them every time they are in town

dick valentine is always walking down LSD lane and the crowd loving loves it (he always constantly says weird numbers and things and its just a plain ol hoot)

one year my friends wife gave him a donut

thanks for listening

Natron
Aug 5, 2004

ZenMaster posted:

dudebroman, if crobberts didnt say it its not true sheesh

Also, if he did say it, it still doesn't count as a promise unless he specifically said so.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

Sounds like a plan!

I've been looking at the seat movers cos you don;t need the monitors to move in VR, they are still expensive but more reasonable than they used to be by a long way

http://www.nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-motion-platform-v3/

That's the one I have. You have to dial it way down, because stock settings are awful. It has a good VR implementation, which means it actually tries to remove the actual change in position in regards to the sim. In R3E I have to disable the visible arms when driving the F1-cars though, because it pushes you so fast (even on low settings) into the corners of the seat, that the VR correction can't keep up (or won't to not distract your inner ear). With that switched off, it is awesome. All the other cars are perfect, PCars 1 and PCars 2 cars I can drive with everything visible, the seat mover impact seems reduced in these.

What this thing actually gave - especially during DTM or F1 sessions - is anxiety of turns. Like everytime I race towards turn four/hairpin in Hockenheim I think "well gently caress, that breaking zone again" because it puts actuall physical stress on you everytime you break into these corners, and that's loving awesome. But at the same time, it gives you a big dose of adrenaline when you come out of the left/right/left shake of the Nordschleife Dreifach-Rechts, ready to break into Wehrseifen.

PS: if you are interested, I can try to make some kind of video/stream using it. Allthough there are dozens out there, there are some things I'd adress about the NLR stuff.

tuo fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 28, 2017

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

TouchdownTim55 is one of my favourite posters in this thread.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I sort of thought they would since lore is all just bullshit made up by idiots and they excel at that - knowing they can't even do that right is hilarious

Practically all video-game background/fluff is the most generic, beige collection of half-baked knock-offs so CIG aren't alone in this field.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TheAgent posted:

one year my friends wife gave him a donut
Are we still talking about that sex club thing?

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

tooterfish posted:

Since the thread has moved onto the subject of Dick Valentine and Electric 6, then the answer is yes.

reverend crabhands
Feb 3, 2016

To be honest I'm thinking the hoverbikes is a sign of what CIG will deliver.

So some sort of planetary traversing arrives, but there's no way to traverse. :(

Unless you pay real life money's. :)

This is why more lovely hoverbikes.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

BeigeJacket posted:

beige collection of half-baked knock-offs

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

reverend crabhands posted:

To be honest I'm thinking the hoverbikes is a sign of what CIG will deliver.

So some sort of planetary traversing arrives, but there's no way to traverse. :(

Unless you pay real life money's. :)

This is why more lovely hoverbikes.

Kalashnikov is closer to releasing actual hoverbikes than CIG is to releasing virtual ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEJ6Oqb9ULw

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
As said in the title, I've been following star citizen for roughly 3 years now. Only gameplay I've played was on a free trial about 2 years ago when I was still in high school (now a sophomore in college). Unfortunately, the most noticeable thing to me during that trial was the laughable frame rate. The game looked very pretty but was absolutely unplayable. I choose not to buy then due to the fact I've never bought an early access game before and the game being unplayable with the frame rate.

Now down the line I'm still following the game and I'm so incredibly happy to see how far it's come. I can only imagine the patentice it's taken the backers here on reddit and elsewhere to wait so long, so props to ya. Now that 3.0 is finally coming out fairly soon and formal release is with 4.0 (at least that's what I understand), is now the time to buy? I'm looking at buying a simple Aurora + maybe SQ42. Nothing crazy as I'm a college student and therefore can't throw money around. Also, a big question for me is will I need to rebuy the game upon release? I'm assuming no, but we all know how that can go. Last thing is that I don't have any friends in the game. Would that make things tough considering there no tutorial?

My hardware technically fits into the min specs, although it's the same laptop I used 2 years ago. I'm hoping that if I buy the game it will be runnable above 25fps. Specs are: i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz (maxes out at 3.3GHz), 16gb DDR3, GeForce GTX-850M, and either a 240gb ssd or 1tb hdd.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Dementropy”" post="“476848816”"]

[/quote]

I always love the "women can just get naked... men uh... better remain fully dressed and it's required buddy." soirées.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
If it was my kid in college, I would 100% encourage them to get the starter pack stick to playing Star Citizen until they graduate. Much better then playing things like Steel Divisions 44, Divinity Original Sin 2, and WarThunder--trying to play them all is limiting my sleep and affecting my daytime thinking... Star Citizen is the better option for staying in school...

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“476849911”"]
honestly if you’re not really into sex clubs, they ain’t all that fun

watching a bud blow ropey loads of cum onto some random gal isn’t quite the experience I thought it was going to be

I’ll stick to drinking, chatting and generally interacting with people without seeing their genitals
[/quote]

Ah sweet memories drugs. Lots of drugs.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Seriously, that's the best they get on reddit these days. Not "let's buy this new spacebike, because it looks cool" Or, "The new spacebike punches above it's weight and is worth it."

Instead, in 2017 it's this.

Touchdownidiot posted:

These are usually the best months of the year for CIG and the year up to this point hasn't been great funding wise either. Get the spacebike. I might get one and I haven't bought anything in at least a year. But I want to see SQ42 at the very least.

Same idiot posted:

That's how CIG stays a float. If you aren't prepared to help CIG when they need help it might be you've lost faith and should get a refund. Come back when its done.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Drunk Theory posted:

Seriously, that's the best they get on reddit these days. Not "let's buy this new spacebike, because it looks cool" Or, "The new spacebike punches above it's weight and is worth it."

:allears:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

As said in the title, I've been following star citizen for roughly 3 years now. Only gameplay I've played was on a free trial about 2 years ago when I was still in high school (now a sophomore in college). Unfortunately, the most noticeable thing to me during that trial was the laughable frame rate. The game looked very pretty but was absolutely unplayable. I choose not to buy then due to the fact I've never bought an early access game before and the game being unplayable with the frame rate.

Now down the line I'm still following the game and I'm so incredibly happy to see how far it's come. I can only imagine the patentice it's taken the backers here on reddit and elsewhere to wait so long, so props to ya. Now that 3.0 is finally coming out fairly soon and formal release is with 4.0 (at least that's what I understand), is now the time to buy? I'm looking at buying a simple Aurora + maybe SQ42. Nothing crazy as I'm a college student and therefore can't throw money around. Also, a big question for me is will I need to rebuy the game upon release? I'm assuming no, but we all know how that can go. Last thing is that I don't have any friends in the game. Would that make things tough considering there no tutorial?

My hardware technically fits into the min specs, although it's the same laptop I used 2 years ago. I'm hoping that if I buy the game it will be runnable above 25fps. Specs are: i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz (maxes out at 3.3GHz), 16gb DDR3, GeForce GTX-850M, and either a 240gb ssd or 1tb hdd.

The game is already the equivalent of 4 AAA games, so truly it is a bargain and it will only get better! I recommend calling your parents regularly and being very nice to them, and then asking for a completionist package. If they can't afford it (and it looks like they can't based on how poor your lower-class depression-era PC specs are), convince them to co-sign on as many credit cards as possible and buy as many ships as possible because they're really truly a bargain and this game will change your life forever so much so that you won't even need college so drop out and spend your tuition on star citizen and be a part of the greatest tehnological revolution since the loom.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“TheAgent”" post="“476853858”"]
lol just look at this poo poo
https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/913106048340447232
it looks like crap

who the gently caress is going to buy this poo poo
[/quote]

Looks like a future car.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
[quote="“Taintrunner”" post="“476854744”"]

For those asking I impulse bought this dumb thing which I’ll probably return if it doesn’t improve my gaming audio experience: https://www.amazon.com/Creative-Bla...ords=gaming+DAC

[/quote]

Why are you posting my secret orgy gifs? All those people are having so much fun! :sureboat:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

umm

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Okay, someone explain it to me, because I've obviously said something wrong or stupid.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Drunk Theory posted:

look at this guy trying to emulate Derek's patented self owning style.

BloodyScab
Sep 12, 2017

by Smythe

Drunk Theory posted:

Okay, someone explain it to me, because I've obviously said something wrong or stupid.

Touchdowntim is the best of us

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The real shame is that they stopped doing their best marketing technique; the in-game ship advertisements. You could see the quality of their commercials steadily decrease, with less voice acting and effort, until now they don't even bother. It would have been a good opportunity to showcase new gameplay options and features in a cinematic manner, but you kind of need a functional game for that to happen. Backers are savvy to how lovely CIG is about providing what they showcase. After Star Marine, then Star Marine again, and most recently this planetside nonsense there's no tolerance for anything that isn't actually provided. The more vocal idiots like Tarkaroshe can crow all they want about patience and timelines, but the reality of the situation is that if you can't play it then it doesn't exist. Previously promises were CIG's product, but we've all seen how empty that has become.

If they have anything to show, it will be just as cringe-inducing and disappointing as every other live event. More importantly it will have no bearing whatsoever on whatever product the backers play in the very last week of December before CIG fucks off for their Christmas break. You would think that with the Idris and other starship assets, Star Marine foundation, and enough time they could have released a "Capture the Idris" example of gameplay but that would require competence and leadership.

Or you could give you mucho money via cheat engine or even a console command, killing any semblance of UEE value. You could even take a big enough number to crash the server once you upload your SQ42 experience to SC.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

tuo posted:

That's the one I have. You have to dial it way down, because stock settings are awful.

I saw a review by a nerd who said the same thing, inside sim racing I think it was, I am really intrigued and would like to see if one works in Elite etc too

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

BloodyScab posted:

Touchdowntim is the best of us

Oh gently caress. I remember now. Well...then.

big nipples big life posted:

look at this guy trying to emulate Derek's patented self owning style.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I saw a review by a nerd who said the same thing, inside sim racing I think it was, I am really intrigued and would like to see if one works in Elite etc too

Speaking of deeply silly hardcore sim doodad money-sinks, what was that walking-on-the-spot VR thing Chris is on in the 'pew-pew' gif?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Star Citizen: Presented from In-Fiction Sources

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

Drunk Theory posted:

Oh gently caress. I remember now. Well...then.

darn it, you could have played the double-reverse troll > Smart's Defence

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

his nibs posted:

darn it, you could have played the double-reverse troll > Smart's Defence

Man, I don't have time for twitter or a blog. Guess I'm just going to need to be a scrub and admit to being owned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
my gal is going to be so pissed, I just finished one of the seven year old chardonnays we brought back with us

she didn't even get to have a glass

guess I'm going to drop by the store and pick up some line 39, fill up the old bottle and pretend I didn't drink the whole thing

I am not a good person