Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Powaqoatse posted:

yeah that. we called it a fluesmækker (flyswatter) for some reason

don't you also call people who nitpick flyfuckers or were those the dutch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

maybe denmark just has fly fetish because they went extinct due to all the cigarette and grill smoke everywhere

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

oh yeah flueknepper

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

part 1 of 3 https://googleprojectzero.blogspot.co.uk/2017/09/over-air-vol-2-pt-1-exploiting-wi-fi.html

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

Powaqoatse posted:

denmark did, since 1984

for a period in the beginning you could use the kachunk thing tho

Every major retailer has a handful of those in the back somewhere, so that if their POS systems go down they can still take an imprint of your card and charge you later. They pay the card-not-present fee, and if your card doesn't have raised lettering they can't use it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I assume the Danish thing you're talking about is https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dankort which is not actually related to VISA at all except both functions can fit on one card. Lots of nations had their own custom card system, and I guess quite a few of them used PIN from the beginning.

Also this is what I was talking about earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_w352BS-Q&t=1344s

Sure, Chip & PIN increases the safety for consumers in contrast with magstripes, but the fact that it was safer was used as a sledge hammer to shut down customer disputes.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jimmy Carter posted:

Every major retailer has a handful of those in the back somewhere, so that if their POS systems go down they can still take an imprint of your card and charge you later. They pay the card-not-present fee, and if your card doesn't have raised lettering they can't use it.

why do they pay card-not-present if they have a physical record of the card? I thought CNP was for online purchases and the like

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

why do they pay card-not-present if they have a physical record of the card? I thought CNP was for online purchases and the like

presumably because while the card is present at the point and time of sale it's not present when the transaction is communicated to the credit card network? idk

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cocoa Crispies posted:

presumably because while the card is present at the point and time of sale it's not present when the transaction is communicated to the credit card network? idk

that and probably just as a punitive measure to eliminate the method when not necessary

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

that and probably just as a punitive measure to eliminate the method when not necessary

yeah that plus issuing cards without raised numbers like the new amex platinum

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ymgve posted:

I assume the Danish thing you're talking about is https://da.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dankort which is not actually related to VISA at all except both functions can fit on one card. Lots of nations had their own custom card system, and I guess quite a few of them used PIN from the beginning.

Also this is what I was talking about earlier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ks_w352BS-Q&t=1344s

Sure, Chip & PIN increases the safety for consumers in contrast with magstripes, but the fact that it was safer was used as a sledge hammer to shut down customer disputes.

Since chip & pin was introduced card holder present fraud has reduced 69%

quote:

Since widespread implementation of EMV chip-and-PIN in 2004, counterfeit fraud declined drastically on UK-issued cards. Fraud losses from counterfeit cards have fallen by over 63 percent. In fact, in 2004 counterfeit card fraud accounted for over 25 percent of all card fraud on UK issued cards compared to 13 percent by the end of 2010. Domestic counterfeit card fraud fell
to £17 million in 2010 from £46 million in 2006 and now represents only 6 percent of all domestic card fraud.

However, counterfeit fraud on UK-issued cards has not been on a continuous decline since chip- and-PIN implementation in 2004. Interestingly, counterfeit fraud rose significantly in 2007 and 2008 as UK card issuers experienced a dramatic increase in cross-border counterfeit fraud. Since UK-issued chip cards still contain a mag stripe, fraudsters are able to capture card data off the mag-stripe and commit fraud in countries that have yet to migrate to chip-and-PIN. As migration of chip-and-PIN increased in other countries, especially other European countries, losses from counterfeit cards abroad began to abate.
Basically almost all of the remaining card holder present fraud is cloning the magstripe and using it countries where that's still the norm.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Cocoa Crispies posted:

nah

quote:

A card not present transaction (CNP, MO/TO, Mail Order / Telephone Order, MOTOEC) is a payment card transaction made where the cardholder does not or cannot physically present the card for a merchant's visual examination at the time that an order is given and payment effected, such as for mail-order transactions by mail or fax, or over the telephone or Internet.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_not_present_transaction

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

jre posted:

nice

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

jre posted:

did you read where I wrote "Chip & PIN increases the safety for consumers in contrast with magstripes"

also did you watch the video at the timestamp I linked

a bank literally said "we declare this was not fraud because a PIN was entered" while their own diagnostic code showed a PIN was NOT entered

chip&pin is good but the only reason banks agreed to switch the infrastructure in the first place is because they could shift liability away in the few cases where chip&pin fraud legitimately happened

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i asked digicert a question about getting a certificate reissued and when their csr had closed the chat i was asked if they had done a good job, and given the options "yes, reward him" and "no, rebuke him"

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

anthonypants posted:

i asked digicert a question about getting a certificate reissued and when their csr had closed the chat i was asked if they had done a good job, and given the options "yes, reward him" and "no, rebuke him"

No, :commissar: him

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

anthonypants posted:

don't be a snitch

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

ymgve posted:

chip&pin is good but the only reason banks agreed to switch the infrastructure in the first place is because they could shift liability away in the few cases where chip&pin fraud legitimately happened

How much do the banks save from an >80% reduction in card holder present fraud which is what the figures at now in 2017 ?

How much do the banks save from the 1% of stuff they can attempt to dispute with the liability shift ?

Which do you think was actually the reason they did it ?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ymgve posted:

yeah dankort. anyway it didnt change customer liability here, so sucks to be u i guess :shrug:

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Powaqoatse posted:

yeah dankort. anyway it didnt change customer liability here, so sucks to be u i guess :shrug:

I went to check what the situation was in the UK and

quote:

According to the Lending Code, the consumer is liable for the cost of fraud - that is, must pay the cost of the fraudulent transaction - when:

They've acted fraudulently: it's a criminal offence, though it's up to the lender to prove that this has actually taken place.
They've acted without reasonable care: by, for example, writing down the card PIN number. Again, it's up to the card provider to prove negligence, they cannot assume it.
They failed to inform the bank that a card was lost or stolen or that someone knows their PIN: though they're only liable to pay up to £50 and banks often clear even that amount.
When shopping online, they didn't use the card provider's 3D Secure system (e.g. Verified by Visa, Mastercard Secure Code).
If an additional cardholder is liable for any of the reasons above.

So not the case in the UK either

Pierre Chaton
Sep 1, 2006

sounds of real something awful vol 4

side 1:
a man with no idea what he's talking about holds court on how chip and pin works in europe

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

at least the argument is moving to facts and learning how wrong they are within a page rather than 20 this time around

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Most card-present fraud is fixed with the chip, since that should prevent card cloning (and the new readers are generally more resistant to tampering and do clever stuff like encrypt-on-swipe). The PIN just prevents someone from using the card you left at the bar, which is a minority of fraudulent transactions (no one really seems to know what percentage is tho)

Either way the consumer isn't liable, and lol if you think the banks will pass on any savings that they might see with PIN vs signature

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

wyoak posted:

Most card-present fraud is fixed with the chip, since that should prevent card cloning (and the new readers are generally more resistant to tampering and do clever stuff like encrypt-on-swipe). The PIN just prevents someone from using the card you left at the bar, which is a minority of fraudulent transactions (no one really seems to know what percentage is tho)

Either way the consumer isn't liable, and lol if you think the banks will pass on any savings that they might see with PIN vs signature

idgi what savings do you think there are to pass down. my cards are already free and so are my accounts??

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I miss being able to swipe my card. It just worked without delays and angry buzzing noises.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Any credit/debit card infrastructure/procedural changes are part of the eternal battle between banks and merchants to foist any and all costs and liabilities onto the other.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

fishmech posted:

idgi what savings do you think there are to pass down. my cards are already free and so are my accounts??
i dunno maybe more cool credit card intro bonuses or something

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Any credit/debit card infrastructure/procedural changes are part of the eternal battle between banks and merchants to foist any and all costs and liabilities onto the other.

capitalists duking it out among themselves over their ability to externalize costs to eachother will forever be the most beautiful part of capitalism.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

wyoak posted:

The one other bonus of the pin is that you get asked for it the first time you try contactless, and then every x times after that. So it prevents people stealing envelopes with new cards and going on a contactless rampage.

burning swine
May 26, 2004

akadajet posted:

I miss being able to swipe my card. It just worked without delays and angry buzzing noises.

some of the newer chip readers i'm encountering are mad fast, like on the order of < 1 second between insert/remove nice

the first gen is definitely miserably slow though

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
just use Apple Pay, frotting your watch against the terminal because you forgot your phone at home across the street from the store and don't feel like climbing five flights of stairs is super convenient

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

akadajet posted:

nfc cards are hella fast

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hackbunny posted:

nfc cards are hella fast

well id use one but nobody bothers to include paypass anymore

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
costco's credit cards have nfc.

but it's not enabled at costco. though i do see their fuel pumps and terminals do have support for them.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/SINON_REBORN/status/913493359846715393

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ua20Hxx8xDE

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I called the local weather hotline and it is also playing ads for bitcoin and etherium now. No magstripe on bitcoin I guess.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

akadajet posted:

are you going to shops for poors

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't understand how that particular code snippet caused the bot to talk like a cybrid

• Locked thread