Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Lick! The! Whisk! posted:

This however is a load of bullshit

They've probably had more women and PoC guests and experts on their podcasts than white dudes

:ssh: I suspect that was :thejoke:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

prefect posted:

edit: I like this Pepitone fella. He's funny.
Look for his special "In ruins" and the documentary about him "the bitter buddha" they are great.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I can't believe no one mentioned the rapper get just had on. How did she get the passed over? God, she was terrible.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

bartlebee posted:

I can't believe no one mentioned the rapper get just had on. How did she get the passed over? God, she was terrible.

What?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Rapper B. Squid guested during last week's episode. She blamed her bad flow on not being able to hear the beat on-stage.

Ghost Stromboli
Mar 31, 2011
It didn't seem all that bad. She even made a remark beforehand about not really ever having done public freestyles. Something to that effect.

Also, new drinking game: drink whenever he says "Nazi" or "fascist."

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

CPColin posted:

Rapper B. Squid guested during last week's episode. She blamed her bad flow on not being able to hear the beat on-stage.

lol then dan just like cussed and acted like he was bad for the same reason. was like he was being sincere, but funny, but maybe making fun of her, but not really

reminded me of a show where zakk wydle kept kicking a monitor off stage cuz it was loving him up but the security crew kept putting it back up on stage, frustrating the guitar man hahaha

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CPColin posted:

I thought she started off without being able to hear the beat, but they got the audio fixed partway through. She seemed okay by the end.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Duncan Trussell is always so good on Harmontown. I really need to try listening to his podcast.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Dan is turning into a fat Marc MAron

The mustache and the hair and I can't tell the difference by looking at them. Or hearing them talk really

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Christ, the idea of doing whipits at a live show in silence except for the laughter of an audience sounds loving horrifying.

EDIT: They work best with a musical backing, I find. Doing them in silence just amplifies the silence. Doing them in a room of people laughing would probably give me a straight-up panic attack.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 28, 2017

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

caligulamprey posted:

Christ, the idea of doing whipits at a live show in silence except for the laughter of an audience sounds loving horrifying.

Sounds pretty fun to me

Dikkfor
Feb 4, 2010

caligulamprey posted:

Harmon go on Street Fight

Tom Funk
Feb 19, 2010
So the fire marshal shut them down? Any word on what they're going to do in the meantime while they get permit poo poo in order?

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Tom Funk posted:

So the fire marshal shut them down? Any word on what they're going to do in the meantime while they get permit poo poo in order?

The website says their next show is the 15th.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Muslims.
(Nope)

That one got a legit spit take out of me.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Harmontown got rid of one of the weakest aspects of the podcast, the audience, and the second weakest, guests. Just kidding.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Garth_Marenghi posted:

Harmontown got rid of one of the weakest aspects of the podcast, the audience, and the second weakest, guests. Just kidding.

This but not kidding.

Garth_Marenghi
Nov 7, 2011

Brocktoon posted:

This but not kidding.

Now that I finished listening to it, I think i agree with you.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!
Im down with having no audience for a while and possibly ever

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Aw, gently caress, I would have loved to hear Dave Anthony on the show. :eng99:

They should be sitting around a table. It would be easier to work with their pads, both i and paper.

I'm at 1:42 in the video, and it's just a repeated sequence of Spencer dancing in his underpants.

prefect fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Oct 13, 2017

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Schrab, but without an audience? :ohdear:

I like this Terry Crews-initiated self-discussion Dan is having. I'm sure people are going to react differently, but it feels extremely honest and good.

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Oct 18, 2017

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

prefect posted:

Schrab, but without an audience? :ohdear:

I like this Terry Crews-initiated self-discussion Dan is having. I'm sure people are going to react differently, but it feels extremely honest and good.

Yeah it was, but it kind of went on so long it started to lose the thread I think. Though that's true of this podcast in general I guess.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I really dig the no-audience episodes. Dan is interesting to listen to much more when he's not preoccupied by seeking validation.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Inzombiac posted:

I really dig the no-audience episodes. Dan is interesting to listen to much more when he's not preoccupied by seeking validation.

Also, I'm sure if he had done the same thing on stage, some goofus from the audience would have come up to "explain" things and only make it worse.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dan's thoughts on the Terry Crews thing and why he reacted to that differently were really interesting. But then it kept going for another 45 minutes, and then they went into some high school atheismchat, and ended with no D&D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Ugh, whole lot of Elon Musk dicksucking in this episode. :(

Dammit Dan, that's his Old Groucho Marx, not his Seinfeld. :argh:

prefect fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Oct 23, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

That Momma rap was incredible.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Inzombiac posted:

That Momma rap was incredible.

No kidding! That story about Jeff snorting coke on the Harmoncountry tour was pretty good, too.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hosed Yo Mamma by Rob Tanchum

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Having them on a stage with no audience is actually pretty good. It feels a lot more comfortable that Spencer and Brandon have tables/podiums in front of them.

Sgt. McKill
Sep 30, 2005
kill kill kill
I can't quite think of anyone who thinks and/or articulates himself as uniquely as Dan. It makes them talking even the most well-trodden territory interesting to listen to (most of the time).

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Here's the sexy Kumail picture they were talking about :

https://twitter.com/emilyvgordon/status/929785741382529029

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sgt. McKill posted:

I can't quite think of anyone who thinks and/or articulates himself as uniquely as Dan. It makes them talking even the most well-trodden territory interesting to listen to (most of the time).

Good public speakers are rare, and despite his weirdness, Dan is pretty good at this stuff. I think the sign of an interesting speaker is someone you can imagine an impersonation of. Dan's weird idiosyncrasies (like "....dumb", for example) really lead into that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Sgt. McKill posted:

One one of the "Whiting Wongs" episodes, he says his girlfriend describes it as "Dansplaining".

Sgt. McKill
Sep 30, 2005
kill kill kill

well why not posted:

Good public speakers are rare, and despite his weirdness, Dan is pretty good at this stuff. I think the sign of an interesting speaker is someone you can imagine an impersonation of. Dan's weird idiosyncrasies (like "....dumb", for example) really lead into that.

I agree, Dan would be pretty tough to imitate though just because it's rare for someone to have the sort of brain that can poo poo out that volume and depth of content. There are the idiosyncrasies sure, like lots of stuttering and metaphors that take a few sentences to reveal themselves, but he seems to always have an interesting point to make.

It's funny comparing him to other podcasts I listen to that also cover, say, politics, the typical political speaker is dense with facts and analysis, yet Dan says almost no facts (lol) but it somehow seems like a more insightful and interesting listen.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
I think he's mostly full of poo poo but funny

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Dan recording an intro for Schrab was one of the funniest things on the show in months. Also, Jeff is KILLING IT with the soundboard.

almost there
Sep 13, 2016

Dan's alcoholism is showing in his weakening ability to rhyme and his 3rd grader book report flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Electric Owl posted:

Dan's alcoholism is showing in his weakening ability to rhyme and his 3rd grader book report flow

Oh poo poo. He better not read your post, or somebody's momma is gonna get hosed. :ohdear: