Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Greeks invented anal sex yknow

all that oil and yogurt, you gotta do something with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

cinci zoo sniper posted:

im somewhat vaguely touching computers (finishing masters in physics while working as credit risk analyst). don't want to blow off to some random place before i get my degree done and see what's and how with my further study aspirations

to address greece specifically, working in non-customer service finance in latvia i make good enough money to better off than most greeks are. besides, i'm very picky about the places i would like to live in europe (greater scandinavia, benelux (more like bene), germany, austria, switzerland, maybe northern italy).

thats a well chosen degree + job + plans goongrats.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

poty posted:

thats a well chosen degree + job + plans goongrats.

not even kidding, both the degree and the job are absolutely accidental

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

touch id continues to work perfectly for me

this

but I am hosed off that my code entry screen doesnt come immediately when i swipe on a notifcation. i found it far faster to hit my quick code than touch id

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
my needs, they are being suited. macOS weed catte upgrade was very scary though with the number of time my monitor flickered or showed distorted images.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

my needs, they are being suited. macOS weed catte upgrade was very scary though with the number of time my monitor flickered or showed distorted images.

Turn on your screen.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
johnny fireball points to this nyt article from 1992

quote:

Sometime around the middle of this decade no one is sure exactly when — executives on the go will begin carrying pocket-sized digital communicating devices. And although nobody is exactly sure what features these personal information gizmos will have, what they will cost, what they will look like or what they will be called, hundreds of computer industry officials and investors at the Mobile ‘92 conference here last week agreed that the devices could become the foundation of the next great fortunes to be made in the personal computer business. […]

How rich is this lode? At one end of the spectrum is John Sculley, the chief executive of Apple Computer Inc., who says these personal communicators could be “the mother of all markets.”

At the other end is Andrew Grove, the chairman of the Intel Corporation, the huge chip maker based in Santa Clara, Calif. He says the idea of a wireless personal communicator in every pocket is “a pipe dream driven by greed.”
notable because:

1) sculley was more of a visionary than he is usually given credit for

and

2) lol just lol at intel

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
"never expect a man to understand something that his livelihood depends on him not understanding."

-einstein or borat or whoever

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

kinda reminds me of the proto-sperglords who told william gibson that all the rich multimedia he imagined for the future internet would never be possible because the bandwidth wasn't there

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Doc Block posted:

"never expect a man to understand something that his livelihood depends on him not understanding."

-einstein or borat or whoever

Upton Sinclair in The Jungle, actually?

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
LOL yeah. "upton sinclair" because that's a totally real name :rolleyes:

"get a load of this brainiac: Uptown Sinclaire"

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
and everyone knows Welcome to The Jungle was by Guns n Roses anyways

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Doc Block posted:

LOL yeah. "upton sinclair" because that's a totally real name :rolleyes:

"get a load of this brainiac: Uptown Sinclaire"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJBOJHZNfOE
huh what now

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

FMguru posted:

2) lol just lol at intel

Apple went to intel and said 'hey man you wanna build the ARM processor we're gonna stuff into a phone?' and Otellini's response was 'nahhhhhh you won't sell enough to turn a real profit, it isn't worth it for us' and then sold off XScale.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Jimmy Carter posted:

Apple went to intel and said 'hey man you wanna build the ARM processor we're gonna stuff into a phone?' and Otellini's response was 'nahhhhhh you won't sell enough to turn a real profit, it isn't worth it for us' and then sold off XScale.

this is some fifth beatle poo poo right here

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

come on, this is yospos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYRlTISvjww

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sagebrush posted:

kinda reminds me of the proto-sperglords who told william gibson that all the rich multimedia he imagined for the future internet would never be possible because the bandwidth wasn't there

same, but with bitcoin

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

that dude who blew off ibms offer to buy his pc os so they called their #2 choice (microsoft) instead

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

yospos is more https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HTexqxo1og&t=48s

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
today i found out that there are literally almost no banks supporting apple pay in europe, and the two countries leading in apple pay adoption by far are the U.K. and... Russia

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

today i found out that there are literally almost no banks supporting apple pay in europe, and the two countries leading in apple pay adoption by far are the U.K. and... Russia

its almost ubiquitous in the usa

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

sad about 5th beetle

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I guess apple decided to finally make the pad phone.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Sinclair is the ultimate nerd name

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

apple pay is another one of the recent screw ups by tim that they're just trying to quietly ignore and eventually put to bed

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

apple pay is another one of the recent screw ups by tim that they're just trying to quietly ignore and eventually put to bed

actually it's really excellent and i use it all over europe, having some accounts with the non poo poo banks

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

qirex posted:

The Atlantic posted:

"The thing you have to remember is that this was before the iPhone was introduced and no one knew what the iPhone would do... At the end of the day, there was a chip that they were interested in that they wanted to pay a certain price for and not a nickel more and that price was below our forecasted cost. I couldn't see it. It wasn't one of these things you can make up on volume. And in hindsight, the forecasted cost was wrong and the volume was 100x what anyone thought."

It was the only moment I heard regret slip into Otellini's voice during the several hours of conversations I had with him. "The lesson I took away from that was, while we like to speak with data around here, so many times in my career I've ended up making decisions with my gut, and I should have followed my gut," he said. "My gut told me to say yes."

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bulgogi Hoagie posted:

actually it's really excellent and i use it all over europe, having some accounts with the non poo poo banks

just an fyi, prefacing a bald-faced lie with "actually" doesn't make it true or interesting to read, so you might want to avoid that in the future

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Stymie posted:

just an fyi, prefacing a bald-faced lie with "actually" doesn't make it true or interesting to read, so you might want to avoid that in the future

please stop denigrating my lived experience as a national minority in europe thanks

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Stymie posted:

actually, it does

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i use android pay and it works really well and makes me feel like i'm in a science fiction movie

just let me pass my pocket-slate over the radio-cashier *bleep*

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
please don't challenge the stymie brand monopoly on transparently contrarian opinions or attempt to match it in any way

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/369439265446309888

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

he really is the shittiest human

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

the people who made him president like murdoch, the kochs and mercer are worse, donald trump is just a symptom, actual billionaires are the disease

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

does he know timb is gay??

actually timb would be the best bf if he just relaxed a bit, i hear hes a work machine tho

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Agile Vector posted:

does he know timb is gay??

actually timb would be the best bf if he just relaxed a bit, i hear hes a work machine tho

he's a lean mean lean manufacturing machine

Although having 20 SKUs for iPhones today is exactly what I figured would happen if he became ceo, because that's how manufacturing guys think - "just cancel it and throw all that poo poo in the trash" is out of the question, specially at Apple sizes, while Steve didn't blink twice when slashing Apple
products to 4 items

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
yeah but things are different now too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

can someone like sneak 1B headphone jacks into an apple warehouse and then tip them off to do inventory?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

cinci zoo sniper posted:

lower power processors suck if you are stemlord doing actual computing
If you're a stemlord you should probably just be running your jobs on a cluster or buying a proper workstation or if for some godawful reason you really need a "portable" laptop with high-end hardware get a Precision or something

• Locked thread