Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Eternal poor aim.

Stay outta my toilet!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one
Watching Broken Arrow, goddamn the 90s was weird. Also, I really want to sit in a B2.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Hexyflexy posted:

Watching Broken Arrow, goddamn the 90s was weird. Also, I really want to sit in a B2.

We thought that movie was weird even at the time. Shame it turned out to be the high-water mark of John Woo's English-language career.

Current even: now I want to watch Hard Boiled and The Killer again.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

A guy in my grade, who I knew a little bit, fell asleep at the wheel and got in a terrible wreck that almost killed him. He was pulled from a burning vehicle and afterward, supposedly, they couldn't figure out how anyone opened his door. Ergo, Jesus. After a couple questions from the student body about how this changed his life (jesus), someone was like "what about all the people that die" and then it was classic "we're out of time, back to class" mode.
Are you loving kidding me it's like the most softball possible question for a jesus peddler "god took them up in his loving embrace because they were ready for their eternal reward in heaven (which is better in every way than this place of wrath and tears and motor vehicle accidents, and you'll go there too if you say your prayers and donate to my ministry) but I was chosen to stay on earth to spread his message and invite more people to heaven, both are miracles in their own way and if you trust in jesus you need not fear death amen"

Like, gently caress, I'm not a believer and I can crank that out.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Oh, also this wasn't the school, but a friend of mine got a dumb bacterial infection and died as a teen. He was very much not religious. About half of his closest friends were. They fabricated a story about how right before dying he popped out of his coma and accepted Jesus into his heart and then they saw his spirit go to heaven.

Even his religious mother was mad about that one.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My girlfriend's grandmother takes credit for everything good that happens "Because I prayed for it!"

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Tell her to start praying for you to hit the powerball, then badger her every week about why Jesus hasn't followed through.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Doc Hawkins posted:

We thought that movie was weird even at the time. Shame it turned out to be the high-water mark of John Woo's English-language career.

Current even: now I want to watch Hard Boiled and The Killer again.

Did Hard Boiled ever get a proper bluray release? I kinda remember some re-release that looked worse than the original VHS print.

Also the only thing my school ever did was lose 10% of a graduating class to opioid overdoses, wooo Appalachia

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Capn Beeb posted:

Did Hard Boiled ever get a proper bluray release? I kinda remember some re-release that looked worse than the original VHS print.

Also the only thing my school ever did was lose 10% of a graduating class to opioid overdoses, wooo Appalachia

Goddamn...

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Pesticide20 posted:

I think the only thing that will make me stop and watch while I'm walking across campus is if another University employee self-immolates

There was a first? :stare:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Capn Beeb posted:

Yeah we're up to about 20 people dead out of 430 now in my HS graduating class.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

2 dead out of a class of 55

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

We're at 2 that I know of. 1 if you don't count the guy who decided to eat a bullet between sophmore and junior year. The other one died giving birth a couple years ago. I didn't think that really happened in the first world anymore.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Casimir Radon posted:

We're at 2 that I know of. 1 if you don't count the guy who decided to eat a bullet between sophmore and junior year. The other one died giving birth a couple years ago. I didn't think that really happened in the first world anymore.

Yeah there's been a few of those here. It's almost as if a lack of medical health care in a poverty stricken area that would sooner put up more mega churches than a clinic is bad for you. But I guess everyone just needs to pray that much harder for those still alive.

Oxy is still the biggest killer so far, though we've had a fair amount of suicides, genuine accidents, accidents that could've been avoided had people thought about what they were doing for more than three seconds and not launched an ATV down a hill to git 'er dud or whatever the gently caress.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
my graduating class had 800 people so i'm sure like 50 of them have died in the last decade

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Casimir Radon posted:

An NPR series on oh poo poo this is bad.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

mlmp08 posted:

Oh, also this wasn't the school, but a friend of mine got a dumb bacterial infection and died as a teen. He was very much not religious. About half of his closest friends were. They fabricated a story about how right before dying he popped out of his coma and accepted Jesus into his heart and then they saw his spirit go to heaven.

Even his religious mother was mad about that one.

That's like the way the Mormons posthumously baptized a bunch of Jews (I think this may have also been all 6 million murdered in the Holocaust), plus Hitler, Joan of Arc, the US founding fathers, multiple popes, Christopher Columbus, Stalin, and Siddhartha "The Buddha" Gautama.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

FAUXTON posted:

That's like the way the Mormons posthumously baptized a bunch of Jews (I think this may have also been all 6 million murdered in the Holocaust), plus Hitler, Joan of Arc, the US founding fathers, multiple popes, Christopher Columbus, Stalin, and Siddhartha "The Buddha" Gautama.

At least they aren't lying. They just baptize souls posthumously. Making up a story of waking up, accepting jesus, then a visible soul going to heaven is loving weird. Especially when his Lutheran mother (they don't buy that poo poo), and several non-believe friends were in the room and got to hear them all kind of make up this story to tell at school in the corner minutes after he flatlined.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

FAUXTON posted:

*Joseph Smith voice.*
"You babtized Stalin?"

"We babtized Stalin."

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

mlmp08 posted:

At least they aren't lying. They just baptize souls posthumously. Making up a story of waking up, accepting jesus, then a visible soul going to heaven is loving weird. Especially when his Lutheran mother (they don't buy that poo poo), and several non-believe friends were in the room and got to hear them all kind of make up this story to tell at school in the corner minutes after he flatlined.

I don't know any Mormons, so I might be wrong about this, but I thought posthumous baptism wasn't even an automatic conversion. Something more like doing the ceremony offers a soul the chance to convert after death.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Shaddak posted:

I don't know any Mormons, so I might be wrong about this, but I thought posthumous baptism wasn't even an automatic conversion. Something more like doing the ceremony offers a soul the chance to convert after death.

I may be misremembering but something akin to purgatory. Not sure.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

So, while the police department is hands-off, the Sheriff (an elected official) is going all in.

Yikes.

Edited for clarity/screenshot. And to show off Sheriff Whittington's glorious visage, which he attached to his post.

Arc Light fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Sep 29, 2017

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Mr. Mambold posted:

*Joseph Smith voice.*
"You babtized Stalin?"

"We babtized Stalin."

They're covered no matter how you view Stalin

Shaddak posted:

Pretty much.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Arc Light posted:

So, while the police department is hands-off, the Sheriff (an elected official) is going all in.

https://www.facebook.com/bossiersheriff/photos/a.432154483558250.1073741826.432144946892537/1520333978073623/?type=3&theater

Yikes.

I tried to read the post but his forehead was too loud.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Between my Senior year of HS and Soph year of college I lost 9 out of 68 people in my class. All but one to drunk driving accidents. This isn't including the 4 in my class that died my Soph year of HS and one other my Jr year.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Is his undersheriff named Smithers?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Shaddak posted:

Well right, but obviously all those souls convert after reaching the afterlife and being offered the truth.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

facialimpediment posted:

He directly attributes the "disrespect" for the flag to a lack of prayer in public schools.

Louisiana.txt

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

DoktorLoken posted:

There was a first? :stare:

Yes there was

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

joat mon posted:

They're covered no matter how you view Stalin

What? Who's covered? I don't think that's the context that verse refers to.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
How the gently caress do you know how many people died in your high school class. Is there a website or something

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I'd take a guess at a good half of my senior class being dead or in prison or real close to both.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Mr. Mambold posted:

What? Who's covered? I don't think that's the context that verse refers to.
I didn't mean 'covered' in the context of baptism of the dead.

I meant the baptizers are covered/protected from Smith's ire for baptizing Stalin.
If Smith thinks Stalin is bad, Smith needs to be reminded to forgive him 7X70 times.
If Smith thinks Stalin is good, he's in good company because the early church was not only full communism (Read Acts 4:34b-35 again) but murdered capitalist holdouts to boot.

milk milk lemonade posted:

How the gently caress do you know how many people died in your high school class. Is there a website or something

Seriously. I only know of one, and that's because we'd dated and our folks knew each other. (Hit by a DUI, 15 years later)

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

No poo poo. The only thing along those lines that I remember is one of the weird goth kids going to prison for murder after he deliberately hung his friend and watched him die.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
My high school had an ex-skinhead talk about neo-Nazis and how they sucked and were evil (this was in like 1999 or so, goddamn he turned out to be prescient). In junior high we watched a film where a good ol' boy toxicologist explained exactly what happens to your body when you OD.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 29, 2017

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Had a kid in my class get creamed by a truck on the first day as a freshman in a completely brand new high school. Also the valedictorian rolled her jeep and died about a week after graduation. Nice little bookends for my high school class. Wasnt a student but in my senior year there was a teacher who had a heart attack and died outside the nurses office after playing basketball with some of the other teachers before class.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

not caring here posted:

I'd take a guess at a good half of my senior class being dead or in prison or real close to both.

Look, there's a reason why the brits chose Australia as their island prison of death.

milk milk lemonade posted:

We just recently had our 10 year reunion. I didn't go, but the Facebook page gave a thorough accounting of who was dead. Lotta suicides (including one veteran), lotta drunk driving deaths.

psydude fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 29, 2017

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
Skipped my ten year, about time for the 15 year which I will also skip, kill me God I am an old gently caress

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Skipped both my 10th and 20th year reunions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

In junior high school, we had a lady who lost her son to drugs. Specifically, he smoked a joint provided by his babysitter and began a short but destructive spiral into inhalants and then crack, and then he ded. This lady had an admittedly effective technique where she would seem to lock eyes with someone in the audience while delivering some major point as though she were addressing them and only them. She did it to me when she was talking about how her dumb kid called her while high on Lysol or some dumb poo poo and yelled "MA IM BANGING MY HEAD ON THE WALL AND IT FEEL GREAT!" Guess my Alien Workshop hat and Smashing Pumpkins ZERO shirt had an effect or something.

My most absolutely unforgettable moment of "adults accidentally making a lasting impression on kids" moment came when I was taking a health class as a sophomore in high school. The guy teaching it was one of the football coaches- a nice enough guy but completely unsuited for the task at hand. Someone asked if a woman's vagina would return to normal after childbirth, and he said," Oh, for sure. Hell, you could jam your elbow up in there and it'd be back the same the next day."

I've never heard such silence before or since.

• Locked thread