Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Oh! That reminds me, Paranoia XP had a good supplement about that. Extreme Paranoia goes way up the org chart and gives you stuff for all levels like you're asking for.

edit: I imagine your two options would be Classic-style (for Clerks or Office Space) or Straight (for a very depressing, big bureaucracy horror.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Arivia posted:

Oh! That reminds me, Paranoia XP had a good supplement about that. Extreme Paranoia goes way up the org chart and gives you stuff for all levels like you're asking for.

edit: I imagine your two options would be Classic-style (for Clerks or Office Space) or Straight (for a very depressing, big bureaucracy horror.)

Paranoia High Programmers is basically an expanded version of the Violet rules from Extreme Paranoia for XP, if you want something self contained.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Moriatti posted:

Yo, what's a good game or subsystem for players being rulers/department heads that have people working under them. Ideally these people would be usable by the other players if the narrative moved more towards one department or kingdom than the other.

Ars Magica is the most prominent example of a "powerful people with playable underlings" game that I can think of. In it, every player gets their own tower-dwelling virtual-demi-god of a wizard... but they also get a large pool of playable servants and retainers who handle the interesting non-wizardy parts of life in a wizard's coven.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
One thing that's always bugged me about random hit locations is that it is not especially difficult for a practiced combatant to hit what they're aiming at.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

While I have interest in boh of these I deffo meant RPG. I should have clarified.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

slap me and kiss me posted:

One thing that's always bugged me about random hit locations is that it is not especially difficult for a practiced combatant to hit what they're aiming at.

This, in GURPS--aiming 'for the torso' is a -1 on top of the already tough range rules and would generally be a pretty substantial increase in the chance of 'missing entirely' instead of 'hitting the wrong place', but the hit location chart in the book was like 90% limbs I swear, and once you've crippled a limb you don't accomplish much with further damage to it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Moriatti posted:

While I have interest in boh of these I deffo meant RPG. I should have clarified.

i was mostly being deliberately obtuse

Serf
May 5, 2011

occamsnailfile posted:

This, in GURPS--aiming 'for the torso' is a -1 on top of the already tough range rules and would generally be a pretty substantial increase in the chance of 'missing entirely' instead of 'hitting the wrong place', but the hit location chart in the book was like 90% limbs I swear, and once you've crippled a limb you don't accomplish much with further damage to it.

Trust me, once you remove a limb there ain't much else to be done.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Aim / called shot mechanics that add a time cost are much better than ones that add an accuracy cost.

It's more intuitive -- aiming carefully shouldn't make you less likely to hit -- and it's also better for design reasons, as it's a fixed opportunity cost rather than a wager.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So, general Dungeons and Dragons nerd question... are Dusklings and Dark Ones the same thing?

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 29, 2017

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

:wtc:

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Attack on Titan retroclone lookin' good.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

That looks to be from the original Hackmaster which was designed as a parody.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Groin (Male Only)

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

senrath posted:

That looks to be from the original Hackmaster which was contractually obligated to be a parody.

I think Wizards at that time just didn't know how deep the grog well went and Kenzer Co. was just being completely unironic, well outside of the obviously zany stuff like gummy golems.

EDIT: Hackmaster 5E, the second edition, isn't as complex though so who knows. I knows they weren't too attached to the original after the legal settlement lapsed.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 29, 2017

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I think Wizards at that time just didn't know how deep the grog well went and Paizo was just being completely unironic, well outside of the obviously zany stuff like gummy golems.

Kenzer and Co, not Paizo. And it was a deliberate parody of that style of player, not an unironic embracing of it.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

EDIT: Hackmaster 5E, the second edition, isn't as complex though so who knows. I knows they weren't too attached to the original after the legal settlement lapsed.

Hackmaster 5E removed almost all parody aspects and also went to their own system to avoid any legal issues.

senrath fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Sep 29, 2017

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

senrath posted:

Kenzer and Co, not Paizo.

I don't know why I wrote Paizo.

EDIT:

I've played Hackmaster and own most of the library of 4th edition books. It was mostly a joke.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

senrath posted:

That looks to be from the original Hackmaster which was designed as a parody.

Oh thank god

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hackmaster isn't even that time consuming once you know the system and have an experienced GM. It's just AD&D with extra, very detailed tables.

In the same vein as what people have been saying about Phoenix Command on here, it seems like it moves at a glacial pace when you see huge tables but once you know the system it moves at a good pace. It's not so much grogapalooza but more grandpa talks about gaming because story games and reinventing the wheel weren't big or even existent when these games were new.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Arivia posted:

I'm sure it does, and good luck convincing anyone in the RPG industry (let alone the fraction of a fraction called Pathfinder third-party developers) to pay up for the legal costs involved.

edit: Actually, that might not even apply since we're talking about the OGL/Pathfinder Compatibility License, and not the general idea of producing copyrighted things in general.

I can't help but think: you could just use the ISBN #, couldn't you?

Lurdiak posted:

So, general Dungeons and Dragons nerd question... are Dusklings and Dark Ones the same thing?

Dark Ones are a classic but kinda generic monster from Fiend Folio. Dusklings are an almost entirely forgotten race from Magic of Incarnum. So no, not really.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I can't help but think: you could just use the ISBN #, couldn't you?

"Compatible with ISBN-13: 978-1601251503, based on the Third Edition of The World's Most Popular Fantasy RPG, ISBN-13: 978-0786915507!"

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
HackMaster "4th Edition" is only a parody insofar as KenzerCo needed it to be one to be granted permission by WOTC to make a reprint of AD&D, which was in the demand in the late 90s given the demise of TSR, the unclear future of D&D, and the lack of an OGL.

Not only is HM essentially a restatement of AD&D, in some cases it's still a clearer design than Gygax's purple prose'd mess despite having the grog turned up all the way to 11.

One of the notable innovations at the time was giving level 1 character a flat amount of double-digit HP in order to avoid the problem of one-hit deaths, a development that would not be repeated until D&D 4th Edition.

That critical hit table itself is "only" the same as the critical hit system developed in AD&D 2e's Combat and Tactics supplement, expanded to accommodate a d10,000 table of locations and effects.

It's rather a shame that the rights HM 4e are in such limbo that we might not ever see a PDF release, because in a lot of ways it was an earnest attempt at introducing improvements to AD&D at the same time that it was making fun of it as an example of the GM and the players trying to one-up each in arcane rulesmanship.

Finally, HackMaster 5th Edition, despite being its "own" game in its own right, still retains the d10,000 critical hit table gimmick:

although it does give players to option to "just" have crits deal double damage, if they don't want to use the system.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Hackmaster is really the alternate universe version of Third Edition if they'd decided to go in the Player's Option direction.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zurui posted:

Hackmaster is really the alternate universe version of Third Edition if they'd decided to go in the Player's Option direction.

Some parts of it, yes.

Other parts, like Combat & Tactics reducing the scale to 5-feet-per-square, and introducing things like 5-foot-steps, and the full-action/half-action action economy, and the 6-second round, and the special combat maneuvers, were inherited straight into 3rd Edition.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Despite reading knights of the dinner table way longer than anyone should I somehow never check out Hackmaster

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lurdiak posted:

Dusklings are like wild fey things that channel Incarnum. Dark ones are the human equivalent to drow or the million other underground humanoid races.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nuns with Guns posted:

Dusklings are like wild fey things that channel Incarnum. Dark ones are the human equivalent to drow or the million other underground humanoid races.

Never trust things of the earth.

Root vegetables are chaotic evil.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
besides the Freeport Fate Companion (and Fate Inverse World), are there any other Fate games that are set in D&D type heroic fantasy? I ask because Ettin was doing a kind of Fantasy Fate Fighter playbook and I've seen the phrase "Fantasy Fate" tossed around a bit, so I'm wondering if there's a specific game being referenced or if folks are really taking the Fate book and applying fantasy tropes and setting to it on their own.

Mitama
Feb 28, 2011

Legend of Anglerre was a thing for a while. Pre-Fate Core, though.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

My experience with Hackmaster is the local gamestore owner trying to convince me to try it despite the fact that I'm vocally against ability scores and gear tables.

Like, he's seen me helping a person build a Strike! character and I've pitched Cortex+ to him.

...Which is my way of asking, is Hackmaster 5e actually any good?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

gradenko_2000 posted:

besides the Freeport Fate Companion (and Fate Inverse World), are there any other Fate games that are set in D&D type heroic fantasy? I ask because Ettin was doing a kind of Fantasy Fate Fighter playbook and I've seen the phrase "Fantasy Fate" tossed around a bit, so I'm wondering if there's a specific game being referenced or if folks are really taking the Fate book and applying fantasy tropes and setting to it on their own.

I was going to suggest Karthun, but apparently it's actually a system agnostic thing from Evil Hat?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Many years ago I wrote Fatescape, which was originally intended to allow me to play Planescape with the more flexible Fate ruleset, but can also be used as a generic fantasy Fate system. It could probably do with some overhauling by now, but such is life.

My website posted:

Fatescape is meant to emulate the old Planescape setting for AD&D using the Fate system, which I feel does a better job of capturing the strangeness of the setting in a workable game system than any edition of D&D. It could do with a minor presentation overhaul but sadly a) I lost all the Indesign files in a recent hard drive implosion and b) I don’t have a working version of Indesign since CS3 refuses to work on Windows 8 and Adobe’s current subscription-based service is way too expensive for me. So it’s pretty much set in stone unless and until I pull all the text out and reflow it in Scribus. Anyway. Fatescape is Fate + D&D. Go crazy.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Moriatti posted:

My experience with Hackmaster is the local gamestore owner trying to convince me to try it despite the fact that I'm vocally against ability scores and gear tables.

Like, he's seen me helping a person build a Strike! character and I've pitched Cortex+ to him.

I F&Fed the basic books here: https://projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/hyphz/hackmaster/ although work got heavy and I ran out of steam at the cleric spell lists.

I haven't actually played it but my understanding is that the people who like that sort of thing find it to be exactly the sort of thing they like. It's not going to be popular with anyone who doesn't like a lot of crunch, though.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Moriatti posted:

If you're vocally against ability scores and gear lists, and Strike! and Cortex+ are your jam, then I wouldn't really say HackMaster has anything to offer you.

Without getting into too much detail (though I can also effortpost about it if you'd like), HackMaster is IMO a lot better than most D&D-derivatives, but it fully embraces tactical combat and rules density in order to do it.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

gradenko_2000 posted:

If you're vocally against ability scores and gear lists, and Strike! and Cortex+ are your jam, then I wouldn't really say HackMaster has anything to offer you.

Without getting into too much detail (though I can also effortpost about it if you'd like), HackMaster is IMO a lot better than most D&D-derivatives, but it fully embraces tactical combat and rules density in order to do it.

I also play a lot of 4e...
I'll look at the F&F and decide from there.

Thank you guys.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I've been in a fairly long running Hackmaster "5e" game and I'd say the system is workable, but not great. It's certainly not the worst system I've played and I'd prefer it over quite a few others, but there are a lot of things that bother me about it.
  • It's weirdly antagonistic towards the players. There's an explicit rule that if there are ever any rules contradictions they are to be resolved in whatever manner is worse for the player.
  • Large list of weapons, of which there are one, maybe two good ones per type of weapon.
  • Stupid decisions made in the name of "realism", such as it being almost impossible to swim in light armor and actually impossible to swim in medium or heavy. Because everyone knows you can't swim with weights on at all.
  • Part of the "balance" of arcane spellcasters is that they don't get to pick their spells when they level up, so they have an equal chance of rolling almost completely worthless flavor spells as they do rolling something useful. Anything past this free spell when they level is dependent on the GM letting them have access to to learn from.
  • Raising skills is random. You pay a set amount of points based on what skill it is, then roll a die depending on your existing skill. What you roll (plus a modifier based on the appropriate stat) is added to your skill total. But this die roll can penetrate (if you roll max, roll again and add the new roll -1 to the old roll. This repeats until you stop rolling max). This means that someone could spend 4 of their 15/level points on First Aid and get 1 point, while someone else could spend the same and get 30.
  • Because of how costs work out, if you want to be good at fighting you pretty much have to pick a single weapon type to focus on and give up ever being good at more than maybe one skill, if you're lucky.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Sounds a lot like 2e but taken in a grogier direction... Not a good impression.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

To be fair I was just listing what I didn't like. I didn't mention that I like the second by second tactical combat, or the fact that (at least in my experience) every class has something to bring to the table that's useful, or that flaws are an interesting (if flawed themselves) system to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

senrath posted:

I've been in a fairly long running Hackmaster "5e" game and I'd say the system is workable, but not great. It's certainly not the worst system I've played and I'd prefer it over quite a few others, but there are a lot of things that bother me about it.
  • It's weirdly antagonistic towards the players. There's an explicit rule that if there are ever any rules contradictions they are to be resolved in whatever manner is worse for the player.
  • Large list of weapons, of which there are one, maybe two good ones per type of weapon.
  • Stupid decisions made in the name of "realism", such as it being almost impossible to swim in light armor and actually impossible to swim in medium or heavy.

tbf that's pretty in-theme for Hackmaster

• Locked thread