Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hm I think mine might actually not be that impressive but it'll definitely be the most communist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

soviet gundam

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ScrubLeague posted:

Hm I think mine might actually not be that impressive but it'll definitely be the most communist.

So....really bad quality control? :smugdog:

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
*pretends he doesn't have money for the Hi-Mock, buys the new HGUC Revive Zeta Gundam anyway*

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

punchymcpunch posted:

cant wait to get a sprue caught around my neck

y o u h a v e b e e n e a t e n b y a s p r u e

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I've been painting while Narcos plays in the background all day with the occassional Bojack Horseman

New season is good

salt is all over the floor

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Oh gently caress it I'm in. Ordered a hi-mock. I'm good at building poo poo, not so good at painting.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

painting update:

2 weeks and my primer still hadnt arrived. emailed them asking what the holdup was. got an email saying my primer has now shipped. lmao.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

my decal paper has arrived tho, all i have to do now is painstakingly recreate and scale down the stickers from a childrens toy

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

punchymcpunch posted:

my decal paper has arrived tho, all i have to do now is painstakingly recreate and scale down the stickers from a childrens toy

I have to do this for another model

Well, more or less create a vector image then scale it right

I've been enjoying painting instead

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

progress update: I suck at painting buildings

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
interesting choice for the red army to paint their mobile suit glossy candy apple green but who am i to judge

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Darkman Fanpage posted:

interesting choice for the red army to paint their mobile suit glossy candy apple green but who am i to judge

It is to represent the sweat shed daily by glorious workers

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

You can hit a fascist with Panzerfists

Also big metal fists

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
for you robot jocks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSRZk4h5CE0

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

i like that sort of sideways mohawk on his head

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

punchymcpunch posted:

i like that sort of sideways mohawk on his head

You mean the night vision goggles?

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

ohhhh

yes

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Shame VOTOMS isn't a thing in the US because that's the VR game I really want. It's perfect since the helmets and goggles were always meant to work that way, giving you a first-person view from the mech's camera.

Edit: Plus, again, the Scopedog is the Hi-Mock's single-largest inspiration.

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Sep 29, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Mecha Gojira posted:

Shame VOTOMS isn't a thing in the US because that's the VR game I really want. It's perfect since the helmets and goggles were always meant to work that way, giving you a first-person view from the mech's camera.

Edit: Plus, again, the Scopedog is the Hi-Mock's single-largest inspiration.

they apparently made a single scopedog kit recently, it sold out, and are now making more votoms kits

we were trying to figure out why it sold so well and a friend and I could only find the japan vs usa robot competition where japan said they were inspired by votoms and the VR game which is apparently doing really well.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Third World Reggin posted:

they apparently made a single scopedog kit recently, it sold out, and are now making more votoms kits

we were trying to figure out why it sold so well and a friend and I could only find the japan vs usa robot competition where japan said they were inspired by votoms and the VR game which is apparently doing really well.

Wave's been putting out 1/35 kits for a while, but Bandai's 1/20 kits are amazing. Straight up amazing. Master Grade quality.

I've got the one that came with the metal parts. It's my favorite kit ever.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mines almost done

all I need now is sesame seeds :evilbuddy:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
One of the funny things I'm noticing as I fall deeper down this rabbit hole is that some kits are way, way better than others and I didn't expect so much variation in 6 inch toy kits. The Graze Kai was recommended in the OP as a starter kit and it's is a pure pleasure compared to the Reginlaze I picked up on a whim. The Graze Kai is easier to put together, easier to panel, has more points of articulation, the weapons are simpler and look better, it just looks drat good. The gun stock actually interlocks with the wrist armor when you turn it right, which is thematically perfect for the Toyota Camry of mobile suits.

The Reginlaze is finicky and brittle and demands a mount and there's too many swappable parts and the gun is embarrassingly difficult to get right and the paneling blows. It almost feels like a supplementary kit. I'm using it as a test bed for closing seams and painting and junk because it's not a huge loss if something goes bad.

Anyway tldr the OP rules and thanks for it

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i have two but i still need to do them time for a nap

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i finally got all the bits of my hi mock painted

now all i gotta do is contruct all the props and sets, hire a camera crew, some wind machines... dry ice...

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
im still waiting on mine to get here, i did not know shipping would take a month

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
If you have a local HobbyTown USA, they might have Gunpla in stock there. The one near me even has a Hi-Mock kit for $10.

Having said that, sorry to all the folks who don't have access to hobby shops like that...

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Be careful with model glue, that stuff is powerful

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Mecha Gojira posted:

If you have a local HobbyTown USA, they might have Gunpla in stock there. The one near me even has a Hi-Mock kit for $10.

Having said that, sorry to all the folks who don't have access to hobby shops like that...

my local hobby shop has three gundam kits and is selling some rando HG for 50 bucks lmao

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

punchymcpunch posted:

my local hobby shop has three gundam kits and is selling some rando HG for 50 bucks lmao

loving Hell. The local one here has like, 50, and sells them for basically cost+shipping+a buck or two.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
if anyone's in the tristate area or visiting NYC, Midtown Comics' has a pretty fun selection of gunpla, including some pretty obscure kits and sengoku SD's

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Neurolimal posted:

if anyone's in the tristate area or visiting NYC, Midtown Comics' has a pretty fun selection of gunpla, including some pretty obscure kits and sengoku SD's

There's three locations! The one by Times Square has the larger selection, Grand Central is okay but not so much. If you're looking for Gunpla overload, try DaShop Corporation in Chinatown.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I don't know where this dude comes from. He is named...Watermelon SEED?

Just the roundness of the upper body, and the green made me think of watermelon

Aircraft are in scale:

Wanted to paint some sesame seeds black, but they didn't really fit. So paint seeds instead

Watermelon hip-protector thingys

Also THIS. IS. CSPAM

so I made him a protest sign. Feel free to suggest signs, if people like this little dude maybe he'll do more protesting:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
That looks fantastic, how did you do that pattern?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Guy Goodbody posted:

That looks fantastic, how did you do that pattern?

Thanks! Well, the base color is Tamiya sky, which is an extremely pale green. After some experimenting, I found my method:

1. Paint stripes with masking fluid.
2. Use hairspray and sea salt to fill in the area between the stripes with salt.
3. Remove the masking fluid stripes.
4. Paint everything with airbrush (Tamiya deep green.)
5. Remove Salt.

For the round markings, I have some leftover bits that are round that let me make a nice round even mark for the arm slices. I think the eye was sprayed through a leftover electrical ring.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Great work! The shoulder hardpoints being sliced watermelon is inspired. You should strongly consider making a tiny paper plate holding the covers.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Mine just looks like lovely Iron Man which is to be expected because I only did red and gold without any other real plan.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Also THIS. IS. CSPAM

so I made him a protest sign. Feel free to suggest signs, if people like this little dude maybe he'll do more protesting:

that looks awesome!

sign suggestion: wenger out

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I really hope we can get images of all the challenge Hi-mocks protesting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I am in full support of this idea, with the caveat that I call dibs on #GruntSuitsMatter

• Locked thread