Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Bhodi posted:

how broken do you think a battlefield style spotting mechanic would be, where it sticks a triangle arrow above their head for your teammates to see

About as well as calling out movement on compass headings except good teammates would be doing both just in case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kamikaze Raider posted:

Well there's a first. A game studio who hires lawyers to program their games AND defend their pecuniary interests.

It would be one thing if that's what they were doing. Instead they just whined on Twitter. Also, PUBG unfortunately, doesn't have much IP to defend.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Do The Evolution posted:

Ridiculously so
I love BF and would be the first to ditch pubg for a BF-inspired battle royale were it any good, but part of the fun of The Pubg Experience tm is that it's somewhat realistic. You have to convey the locations with words and compass readings and other dumb bullshit.

So like hardcore mode in BF. The only fun way to play was BF4 hardcore. I'd love that as a PUBG battle royale setup.

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

VulgarandStupid posted:

It would be one thing if that's what they were doing. Instead they just whined on Twitter. Also, PUBG unfortunately, doesn't have much IP to defend.

IP isn't exactly the issue. Also, I don't know what you mean by "It would be one thing if that's what they were doing." That was sarcasm. Their legal issues don't involve their programmers.

Kamikaze Raider fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 28, 2017

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

VulgarandStupid posted:

Have you actually read their complaints? It feels like you are knee jerking off a headline? They aren't made about PUBG clones or whatever they are mad because they hired the Epic guys to help them with code, those exact same guys turned around and used that to make a competing product.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I thought they were mad that Epic mentioned PUBG as an inspiration.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

TJChap2840 posted:

It's funny to see people defending the tactic of sitting in the blue healing up forever and ever when this thread slammed it during the invitational.

It's also funny seeing people get so bent out of shape because someone dared to employ this tactic and killed them.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

socialsecurity posted:

Have you actually read their complaints? It feels like you are knee jerking off a headline? They aren't made about PUBG clones or whatever they are mad because they hired the Epic guys to help them with code, those exact same guys turned around and used that to make a competing product.

Did they hire them or just ask for those improvements to the engine? In either case it's going to come down to the contract, if there even is one beyond the generic license agreement. I'm guessing if they had any legal recourse, they wouldn't have gone to Twitter to complain.

Tagichatn posted:

I thought they were mad that Epic mentioned PUBG as an inspiration.

Anyone can say anyone is their inspiration but it doesn't really matter. GTA put out their own BR mode, and everyone knows their inspiration but it's crap so there's no buzz around it. The biggest problem, in my opinion, is Epic is beating them to the console market and it's free. Which means that the bigger than PC market's first exposure to "the Battle Royals" genre will be Fortnite and again, it's free. That will be a pretty high barrier to sales once PUBG hits consoles in like 3 years.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 28, 2017

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Bohemia should sue Bluehole for stealing Arma's jank and putting it into UE4 engine.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

fortnite has a terrible art style and building poo poo is dumb

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
There's a certain irony in Bluehole being mad about IP infringement given what happened with TERA. Not the exact same situation as what's happening here, but still funny.

amotea
Mar 23, 2008
Grimey Drawer
I think it's p funny that Epic manages to pump out a PUBG rip-off in no time, showing how terrible Bluehole is at developing a cobbled together game (loving the teeth and eyeballs in the models lol).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

fortnite has a terrible art style and building poo poo is dumb

this is true, but from the limited amount I've seen watching streams I think the bigger issue is that the gun mechanics are loving awful

I mean maybe I'm wrong and it's going to be the LoL to PUBG's DotA, and being the first-to-market F2P ripoff is obviously a strong position, but it seems shoddy enough that I have real doubts about its longevity in the face of the coming tide of BR clones

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

amotea posted:

(loving the teeth and eyeballs in the models lol).

is there something weird about this or does bluehole gently caress it up somehow

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Babe Magnet posted:

is there something weird about this or does bluehole gently caress it up somehow

It's weird that they'd bother modeling and rendering teeth inside the head that you can't see, and doubly weird that sometimes graphical issues cause them to be visible from inside the body.

If you haven't seen:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
What I've heard is the teeth are there because they came with one of the resource packs they bought.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

It's weird that they'd bother modeling and rendering teeth inside the head that you can't see, and doubly weird that sometimes graphical issues cause them to be visible from inside the body.

If you haven't seen:

It possible that they were purchased assets as well.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I just got 5th place and only died because I was outside the circle and my health kit didn't register the first time I clicked it. I had about half a second left on the timer when I died. :(

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
my motorbike spontaneously exploded

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
Fornite is fun and the building stuff is fun, but it's no PUBG (whoever just said it's like a lego version of PUBG is pretty spot on). Bluehole has nothing to fear but their own ability to properly manage+develop this title, even on consoles when they release in 3 years.

Personally, I hope that just about anyone who can do so manages to shoehorn a battle royale mode into their game. It's a great thing and I'd like for it to join the defaults of TDM, CTF, etc if it makes sense for the game. DICE could probably start working on it now for BF1, if they haven't already, and get a working inventory/looting system in before Bluehole finishes bullet penetration, kill cams, and vaulting.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 29, 2017

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I didn't realize this was an issue and after checking around it seems to be a fairly recent one.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well I managed this on my second actual game solo (I had one or two other games of me joining a game and trying to troubleshoot performance stuff and then quitting) :shobon:

There's a lot never seeing another person for long stretches of time in this game

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Epic is all but owned by Tencent now, so the fact that their strategy in this one has been "Push to consoles as fast as possible and grab the money while it's there" isn't a huge surprise to me.

Also, the teeth and eyeballs thing, that's usually for characters that are meant to be seen talking or in dialogue. If you don't model the eyeballs and teeth properly, people will very much notice. The fact that they're in a game where there isn't a single spoken line of dialogue is... a bit weird, though.

Condoleezza Nice!
Jan 4, 2010

Lite som Robin Hood
fast inte
It weirds me out that they have so many storebought assets. Do they not have ANY model artists on the team? At all?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Juniper tried to stream snipe me and Molchane. Gonna have to report her to Bluehole.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178300501

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Ashrik posted:

Fornite is fun and the building stuff is fun, but it's no PUBG (whoever just said it's like a lego version of PUBG is pretty spot on). Bluehole has nothing to fear but their own ability to properly manage+develop this title, even on consoles when they release in 3 years.

Personally, I hope that just about anyone who can do so manages to shoehorn a battle royale mode into their game. It's a great thing and I'd like for it to join the defaults of TDM, CTF, etc if it makes sense for the game. DICE could probably start working on it now for BF1, if they haven't already, and get a working inventory/looting system in before Bluehole finishes bullet penetration, kill cams, and vaulting.

A battlefield game set in modern times with all the attachments and guns lootable in the world would be sweet as hell.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Kongphan is playing Fortnite BR right now for anyone curious.
https://www.twitch.tv/anthony_kongphan

I haven't had a chance to play teams yet, but there's some genuinely cool siege gameplay here.

Black Griffon fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Sep 29, 2017

Molchane
Dec 13, 2014

VulgarandStupid posted:

Juniper tried to stream snipe me and Molchane. Gonna have to report her to Bluehole.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/178300501

Don't worry I've contacted someone i know at epic and she is getting banned from all battle royale games for life for stream sniping official community representatives

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Yeah....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYtdcnsebnM

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Cathab posted:

Pretty new to the game, playing on OC servers.

They've recently introduced FPP duo servers as a trial. After seeing the hype about FPP I tried it out, and it felt... uncomfortable. Something about it felt off, and I ended up doing a suicide rush 10 mins into the game because I felt like I was getting motion sickness.

Bare in mind I've played FPS games for the last 15 years of my life constantly, and have never run into this issue. I have the view FOV slider maxed out also. Anyone have any ideas/have experienced this before?

I get this too and I'm fine on 99.5% of other games. I'm pretty sure they have reduced the headbob a lot from what it originally was and this has made it better for me. I also have FOV maxed which helps so can't really help you a lot =/

Is your PC alright? I have found in previous games that if I get jerkiness/low frame rate issues then that also contributes to motion sickness.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

i love 2 drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RBe85mdUEY

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I get this too and I'm fine on 99.5% of other games. I'm pretty sure they have reduced the headbob a lot from what it originally was and this has made it better for me. I also have FOV maxed which helps so can't really help you a lot =/

Is your PC alright? I have found in previous games that if I get jerkiness/low frame rate issues then that also contributes to motion sickness.

Maxed is 103? I did that and still get this weird headache from FPP. :catdrugs:

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

A. I find the practice of banning stream snipers stupid. They can ban whomever they want, but it really doesn't strike me as something that needs addressing by BlueHole, since it's so easily preventable by the streamers themselves. It's like banning people that just run around using melee only in TF2. They're dumb but it hardly warrants such an extreme reaction.

B. You guys posting highlights, clip the dang video so that whatever it is you want us to see is no more than 5 seconds into the start of the video. I don't need 18 seconds of you driving through a field before you blow your bike up.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

The Wonder Weapon posted:

A. I find the practice of banning stream snipers stupid. They can ban whomever they want, but it really doesn't strike me as something that needs addressing by BlueHole, since it's so easily preventable by the streamers themselves. It's like banning people that just run around using melee only in TF2. They're dumb but it hardly warrants such an extreme reaction.

B. You guys posting highlights, clip the dang video so that whatever it is you want us to see is no more than 5 seconds into the start of the video. I don't need 18 seconds of you driving through a field before you blow your bike up.

Streamers are one of the key ways this game gets advertised. I can't see BlueHole doing anything to piss them off. Purely a business decision.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Why wouldn't you ban cheaters?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Why wouldn't you ban cheaters?

Because shooting a guy in a game about shooting guys isn't cheating?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

It's not like they're permanent bans anyway, right? Maybe they are if you re-offend?

Plus they don't do IP or Hardware bans, so kinda toothless.

Played a few squad games last night. In the last one we all got wiped by one guy. I wanted to report him, but there was no option for "being awesome".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

ChesterJT posted:

Because shooting a guy in a game about shooting guys isn't cheating?
Arguing on the internet - if you can't refute something, just reply to something else and pretend like you nailed it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

daslog posted:

Streamers are one of the key ways this game gets advertised. I can't see BlueHole doing anything to piss them off. Purely a business decision.

Streamers have a billion ways to mitigate stream sniping, and even if they didn't that's just a risk you take by showing yourself playing a multiplayer game on stream. Bluehole's decision to ban stream snipers is dumb as hell. The responsibility should be on the streamer here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Macaluso posted:

Streamers have a billion ways to mitigate stream sniping, and even if they didn't that's just a risk you take by showing yourself playing a multiplayer game on stream. Bluehole's decision to ban stream snipers is dumb as hell. The responsibility should be on the streamer here

It's not even an issue worth thinking about. Streamers are goof for the game, Stream snipers idiots, and the less idiots the better. Everyone wins.

• Locked thread