Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo has been boxing for like 10 years or some poo poo, you'd think he would have had some opportunities to properly train against southpaws by now.

Southpaws like Manny pacquiao have been making fools of boxers for years

Now, this kid ain't manny.. but ippo is not what you'd call a natural boxer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Ippo has been boxing for like 10 years or some poo poo, you'd think he would have had some opportunities to properly train against southpaws by now.

i think its part of a thing with these recent chapters where, in the ippo fights at least, they exaggerate the drama of a really basic boxing maneuver to the point where it gets kind of silly. someone itt make a really funny post that ive referenced before back when ippo i think was fighting the martinez copycat where it was like "oh my god... ippo... you got past his left hand! but we never expected him to use his other hand to punch you!! truly a master of strategy..."

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really liked HnI because it was about a fledgling boxer who worked hard to overcome his opponents' strengths and become a champion. Like each of his opponents had something Ippo had to train hard to counter, and he learned from his experience and used those techniques in future matches, it was nice.

Now he's just making an rear end of himself and forgetting the most basic poo poo

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
How great would it be if he actually started winning real championships, and the story transitioned to Ippo dealing with sudden global stardom, wealth, and fame - and all the bad poo poo that comes with it?

Of course, that's never going to happen, because Ippo is the most bloodless, sexless little killing machine in manga

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

ippo needs to stop fighting invincible opponents with +20 regeneration

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Maybe the Dempsey inflicts some kind of Sap status that halts regen, that's why he's so hot to use it.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ElGroucho posted:

How great would it be if he actually started winning real championships, and the story transitioned to Ippo dealing with sudden global stardom, wealth, and fame - and all the bad poo poo that comes with it?

Of course, that's never going to happen, because Ippo is the most bloodless, sexless little killing machine in manga

i dotn think coach would allow ippo to gently caress or have fun anyways

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Stairmaster posted:

i dotn think coach would allow ippo to gently caress or have fun anyways

coach didn't gently caress or have fun and look how he turned out

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wild Horses posted:

Southpaws like Manny pacquiao have been making fools of boxers for years

Now, this kid ain't manny.. but ippo is not what you'd call a natural boxer.

I dunno about that, Ippo was pretty damned talented when he started out. Within (IIRC) just a few months he was capable of fighting with Miyata, who had been boxing for years and was talented to boot. Ippo was always talented, and during his earlier matches he would get beat up mostly due to fighting people far above his skill level, rather than his own incompetence (against less skilled people he's shown to be very good at avoiding punches via weaving).

I think that the main issue is that the author hosed up with Ippo's transition from "up and coming rookie" to "established champion." Ippo was believable as a very talented rookie, but he stopped showing much in the way of visible progress later on.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wonder if the author realizes what an insult it is that the Japanese champion sucks so bad

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

I dunno about that, Ippo was pretty damned talented when he started out. Within (IIRC) just a few months he was capable of fighting with Miyata, who had been boxing for years and was talented to boot. Ippo was always talented, and during his earlier matches he would get beat up mostly due to fighting people far above his skill level, rather than his own incompetence (against less skilled people he's shown to be very good at avoiding punches via weaving).

I think that the main issue is that the author hosed up with Ippo's transition from "up and coming rookie" to "established champion." Ippo was believable as a very talented rookie, but he stopped showing much in the way of visible progress later on.

ippo has no killer instinct and he doesn't wish his opponent any ill, he just wants to try his techniques on them

that sounds like a pretty bad boxer, like yeah he's really good at punching but he ain't no takamura.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

ElGroucho posted:

I wonder if the author realizes what an insult it is that the Japanese champion sucks so bad

Well he isn't the CURRENT champion (he relinquished the belt when he decided to go for the world.) It's entirely possible he wouldn't be able to get it back right now the way he's fighting.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Ippo is tripping up on his ginormous penis, that's why he keeps tumbling

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Is madhouse gonna do another season of this or what god drat it

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

Good soup! posted:

Is madhouse gonna do another season of this or what god drat it

I'm not sure i want to endure a season of "super bouncy monkey man"

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
3 more chapters came out and ippo still has full-blown brain problems

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Coughing Hobo posted:

I want Ippo to die.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

"I want to write a manga about dreams slowly and ignobly dying. It will take thirty years to realize man's futility, much like life itself."

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Huh, wow. That was unexpected. Is the author really going to run with this then? Is this manga coming to a close soon? Anyone know?

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
This manga will outlive the heat death of the universe, and Ippo still will not have kissed Kumi.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ippo need to get some smooches

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

ippo, you're such a useless little poo poo.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
this is so loving sad. not like in the way the author intends though

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This manga loving sucks now. Jesus.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I feel like its become an issue that the other boxing characters get more engaging interesting fights because there isn't some need to drag out the Ippo bits to show he's got room to grow. Can for once (beyond like the 1 title defense) we just get a fight where Ippo is clearly the superior boxer and wins as a world ranker convincingly because he should?

This fight in particular is really just dragging for I guess suspense that I don't want. I'm tired of woe is me Ippo, please let him actually do things right. He doesn't need to be perpetually flawed, and dragging out the "IS HE BROKEN OR NOT" plot thread is really dull in that if he is this poo poo is over and he could have wrapped it up without this.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 18, 2017

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's like in my Japanese Animes where the protagonist trains super-hard to develop a new special move over a whole decade only for it to be a complete joke!

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

It's been a long time, how many fights did Ippo successfully use the Dempsey roll after showing it off the first time?

I vaguely remember it getting shut down but I don't remember how long ago it was. Boy this series has been going a while.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Wild Horses posted:

ippo, you're such a useless little poo poo.

I love that the Coach specifically says not to worry about using the New Dempsey, and to focus on securing the win. Then, almost immediately after that, Ippo's internal dialogue is: "GOTTA USE THE DEMPSEY!!!! :downs:"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

JfishPirate
Jun 24, 2006
I have been grossly misinformed about witches.
This is really starting to remind me of the end of Ashita no Joe. I'd actually be surprised if Ippo miraculously recovers.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

JfishPirate posted:

This is really starting to remind me of the end of Ashita no Joe. I'd actually be surprised if Ippo miraculously recovers.

wasn't that a big climactic fight though, not 'trash this jobber who is clearly outmatched' 'why are you vomiting blood'

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Jedah posted:

I love that the Coach specifically says not to worry about using the New Dempsey, and to focus on securing the win. Then, almost immediately after that, Ippo's internal dialogue is: "GOTTA USE THE DEMPSEY!!!! :downs:"

Not only that but he's doing it specifically for the old man, who just told him not to do it.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't think it's drain bamage in this case, but win or lose the coach is going to tear Ippo apart for being so friggin idiotic in this fight. Ippo thinks he only has the coach to fight for, so he's just approaching this fight only for his sake.

Maybe the coach gets hospitalized after this fight. They've been teasing that long enough at this point.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
did yall read 1197 when posting. ippos fully broke lol. what the gently caress

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah, I don't see how this gets walked back. It all clicked together in the coach's head. The memory loss, getting hit when he thinks he's dodged, Takamura pointing out he's gotten weaker, getting knocked down by a novice in practice, wiggly lines, and now he's just straight taken a knee trying to punch a cornered opponent that was defenseless. If this is another tease somehow this manga has hit a new low of dragging this poo poo out.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I started reading this not too long before Ippo took his long break to work on the New Dempsey. What was that, over a year ago?

I feel like absolutely nothing has happened. Actually I can't even remember much beyond "Ippo might be broken" and going bowling and trying to draw straight lines.

As cruel as it might sound, I kinda want Ippo to blow this fight just to see what'll happen.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

tbp posted:

did yall read 1197 when posting. ippos fully broke lol. what the gently caress

This, dude's clearly punch drunk. Part of me hopes the writer goes through with it. Like we got teases here and there about Ippo having problems. It would be really low if he just goes haha sike nah he'll power through this. I mean we had those weird tonal issues where his mom and his GF (lets face it she is) talking about possible retirement.

The riter put himself in a corner with Ippo. This series been going for long, and when he went against Ricardo in a spar Ippo was completely outclassed, and here he is completely having struggles with basically a jobber. So where can he go from here?

I dunno for me, I rather Ippo retire and we just resume with Takamura's adventures instead. :v:

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Oct 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Maybe with all the recent talk of concussions in sports the author wants to draw attention to the issue and try not to glorify violence for entertainment?

Wait, what am I thinking, it's just bad. That was it.