Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I like Netgear as well for lower-end business gear. For home use TP-Link is good too.

If you have UniFi WiFi the UniFi switch ties in to the same controller system and gives you a lot of neat stats about connected devices, but it's more expensive than Netgear or TP-Link so if you don't care about those nerdy details it doesn't make much sense.

I always recommend some level of management on PoE switches. It's really nice to be able to remotely power cycle a single port if you need to reboot a powered endpoint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.
So I started that electrician's training. Got 21 wires coming out of a junction box, how the hell am I supposed to connect this poo poo? Not my first tango with 230V. Its all hooked up and waiting for isolation resistance measurement etc.

I can snap some photos if people are interested.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

beyonder posted:

So I started that electrician's training. Got 21 wires coming out of a junction box, how the hell am I supposed to connect this poo poo? Not my first tango with 230V. Its all hooked up and waiting for isolation resistance measurement etc.

Just hook them all together. Hope you got a wire nut the size of your fist! :v:

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

beyonder posted:

Please do. It's great to see stuff like this.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

the spyder posted:

Not the same stuff but I have some stale spaghetti if you're into that sort of thing.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
What the jeeslus is going on with that drill on the floor, or rather the bit in it?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
From the crappy construction thread:

Drake_263 posted:

Not really crappy construction in itself, but it fits:

Good for them!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Rnr posted:

What the jeeslus is going on with that drill on the floor, or rather the bit in it?

Possibly a hook and extension for setting ceiling wire for drop ceilings and supporting flying conduits and devices.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yet another GFCI question:

My garage had one lonely duplex outlet in it, which was a GFCI, and which I removed and wired in some more plugs to give me more outlets around the garage (using appropriate romex, outlets, conduit, etc). Where the GFCI was is now just a junction to feed the new outlets.

In typical "gently caress the guy before me" fashion, the garage shares the circuit with the outlets in the dining room that it shares a wall with. I get it, sometimes you just want to draw power from an easy place, but come on, guy. It's not installing a living room outlet on the other side of the dining room outlet.

Never had any issue with the GFCI outlet that was in the garage that I replaced (tested fine when I hit the test button and otherwise provided power), but I said to myself "you know what would be cool? putting a GFCI breaker on the entire circuit instead of just feeding off the single GFCI duplex outlet."

So I wired up the breaker for that circuit, and it pops as soon as I turn the main breakers back on. Tried the trick of turning off every other breaker and it still pops.

My understanding is that the only thing that can be causing this is that somewhere between the breaker box and where the garage wiring starts (where the previously working fine GFCI used to be), something has a neutral and a ground crossed. Is there anything else that could be causing this? Is there an easy way to see if a ground wire is carrying a load at the box or outlet? I'm a bit wary of jamming my multimeter into outlets looking for a crossed wire. Will one of those plug-in outlet testers tell me if a ground is carrying current?

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Are you sure the gfci breaker is wired correctly? I ask because I think at least twice this exact question has come up, and the circuit neutral was not brought to the gfci breaker.

Blackbeer
Aug 13, 2007

well, well, well
Yeah, start w/ the breaker. If it is wired correctly, disconnect and isolate the wires in the jbox that had the GFI and see if the breaker still trips.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Yeah, hot and neutral from that circuit into the breaker, ground remaining in the ground, breaker pigtail into the neutral bus.

Hadn't thought of disconnecting everything I added since obviously I would never screw up. Will try that and see what happens.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Crap, while I was painting I had my thermostat hanging free, but I think I accidentally yanked a wire. Can anyone tell me where Mister Green goes?

Terminal block with loose wire:

Make/model imprint:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

Crap, while I was painting I had my thermostat hanging free, but I think I accidentally yanked a wire. Can anyone tell me where Mister Green goes?

None of the other terminals are screwed down at all. If you did yank it free it was only held in by hopes and dreams anyways.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You just described the vast majority of the finishing work in this house. :|

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Bad Munki posted:

Make/model imprint:

Seems it has to be Humidity Control (H), Dehumidify Control (DC), or 24V (RC)--do you have a volt meter? Do you know if your system supposed a humidifier or dehumidifier? (What region/state do you live in?)

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Iowa. I...don't actually know if I have a dehumidifier. Pretty sure I haven't spotted a humidifier in there, my last house had one of those.

e: It might have been plugged into DH. There's no way it was in H or I1 at all (they were both screwed completely shut) and I2 is completely wide open. RC is possible, but imgur commenters advised me to not go plugging it into that one unless I'm sure. DH, though, it will almost (almost) squeeze back in without loosening the terminal, so it's quite feasible it was in there and got yanked out.

ee: I do have a meter. I'm assuming you're interested in the reading on the loose wire? What should I use as the neutral for that? Like measure from the loose green to...?

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 14, 2017

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Bad Munki posted:

Iowa. I...don't actually know if I have a dehumidifier. Pretty sure I haven't spotted a humidifier in there, my last house had one of those.

e: It might have been plugged into DH. There's no way it was in H or I1 at all (they were both screwed completely shut) and I2 is completely wide open. RC is possible, but imgur commenters advised me to not go plugging it into that one unless I'm sure. DH, though, it will almost (almost) squeeze back in without loosening the terminal, so it's quite feasible it was in there and got yanked out.

ee: I do have a meter. I'm assuming you're interested in the reading on the loose wire? What should I use as the neutral for that? Like measure from the loose green to...?

I2 and I1 aren't used. Measure the voltage from the loose wire to the C (only wire (red) in the block). If you get 24v--the wire came from RC. I'm no HVAC pro, but I think imgur guys are thinking backwards. If that wire is carrying 24v--and you plug it into H or DH that would probably let a little smoke out of the internal chips...

Whole House Humidifiers are near your air handler typically and will have water (and a water cut-off) running to the unit.
http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/humidifiers/

Whole House Dehumidifiers will have a drain line.
http://www.carrier.com/residential/en/us/products/indoor-air-quality/dehumidifiers/

Humidifiers are really nice to have but not very common. Dehumidifiers are even more rare. My **guess** would be it is carrying 24v and goes to RC--but check with a meter.

e: changing my guess to DH--which is also going to be your fan control. (Would mean the green wire did not read 24v)

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Sep 14, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Bad Munki posted:

Make/model imprint:

Go down to your furnace and open it up. What terminal is the green wire attached to?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

The DH terminal for that thermostat is also the variable speed fan control. I'm going to change my guess after looking at the instructions. :) Still check the voltage of the loose wire.

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/products/Climatouch_CT07TC32ADH_IOM.pdf

beyonder
Jun 23, 2007
Beyond hardcore.

kid sinister posted:

Just hook them all together. Hope you got a wire nut the size of your fist! :v:

No but we have a cabinet with several thousand wagos in it.

the spyder posted:

Here's the 21 wire beauty. Two dual outlets, one switch for a single light and a two for staircase lighting. Starting another assignment on monday so I'll have more photos then.

We use this Fluke tester at the school, everything gets measured, RCDs tested for current and time etc.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

HycoCam posted:

The DH terminal for that thermostat is also the variable speed fan control. I'm going to change my guess after looking at the instructions. :) Still check the voltage of the loose wire.

http://www.ntsupply.com/files/products/Climatouch_CT07TC32ADH_IOM.pdf

I checked the voltage on that loose wire, it's got nothin'. Everything ran fine last night, so I dunno. I'm gonna put it in the DH terminal and see if I can tell if it's running anything differently.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Bad Munki posted:

I checked the voltage on that loose wire, it's got nothin'. Everything ran fine last night, so I dunno. I'm gonna put it in the DH terminal and see if I can tell if it's running anything differently.

Honestly, physical inspection is your best bet on where it goes. If DH Is the only terminal that isn't screwed down tight or wide open, put it there. Worst thing that happens is you burn up your thermostat. Control boards in HVAC units are typically robust enough to deal with completely retarded wiring monkeys tinkering with the stuff on the other end while live.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

kid sinister posted:

From the crappy construction thread:

Good for them!

i used to work in a cable shop, sometimes we had to make cables that were not only immoral but probably also illegal. a couple of those existed.

not only did 'special' cables not get the certification sticker, they didn't get the company name either.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Working on a duplex and I have a 30 amp #10-4 wire that used to be used for a dryer plug on one side of the common wall. Ideally I would like to make it a gfi so people can hook up washer/ gas dryer. Would this be ok? Or would I have to switch the whole circuit out for a 20?

On the other side for the laundry room is a 12-4 but it's hooked up to a 2 separate 20 amperes :dance:

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

bef posted:

Working on a duplex and I have a 30 amp #10-4 wire that used to be used for a dryer plug on one side of the common wall. Ideally I would like to make it a gfi so people can hook up washer/ gas dryer. Would this be ok? Or would I have to switch the whole circuit out for a 20?

On the other side for the laundry room is a 12-4 but it's hooked up to a 2 separate 20 amperes :dance:

You'd have to swap the breaker for a 20A to match the 20A outlet, but you probably could. You said "common wall". What's it common with? Laundry circuits are only allowed to serve that one room.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

kid sinister posted:

You'd have to swap the breaker for a 20A to match the 20A outlet, but you probably could. You said "common wall". What's it common with? Laundry circuits are only allowed to serve that one room.

The other laundry room of the duplex, they both have their own laundry circuits. Trying not to get a permit going as then I would have to get an electrician involved but alas.

Probably could? Wouldn't it be too much amperes for the gfi? Doesn't that fry out the gfi/wiring?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

bef posted:

The other laundry room of the duplex, they both have their own laundry circuits. Trying not to get a permit going as then I would have to get an electrician involved but alas.

Probably could? Wouldn't it be too much amperes for the gfi? Doesn't that fry out the gfi/wiring?

That's not how these things work. If you put a 20A breaker on your #10 wire, you can put a 20A GFI on that circuit. The breaker protects the wire. Having a lower-rated breaker just means the wire is extra safe.

You could even go completely nuts and put a 20A GFCI breaker in (since you're replacing the breaker anyway) and put up to six duplex outlets in that laundry room.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

SoundMonkey posted:

check your local code to make sure it's legit (if you care), they can be weird and nonsensical about that.

my tankless gas hot water heater has to be on a dedicated circuit despite the fact that it uses all of sixty watts.
My guess is that allowing anything else on the circuit poses a risk of shutting off your hot water or that older heaters didn't reliably shut off the gas supply if they abruptly lost power.

ElCondemn posted:

2. It's all dependent on how the electronic device is designed. Mainly the third prong is just grounding in case there's a short, instead of shorting to ground through you and potentially killing you it'll short to ground through that third prong. It's most common in devices that run at higher voltages or have conductive parts.
The purpose of a dedicated ground wire is to provide a low impedance path back to the panel so that a fault will quickly and reliably trip the breaker. A GFCI is there to prevent a short from going through you and killing you, the ground wire is not. The old saying that electricity takes the shortest path to ground is oversimplified - electricity takes all paths to ground and each path will carry current inversely proportional to its resistance. It takes 50-100mA at 120v to stop your heart; there are plenty of plausible circumstances in a home environment (particularly in the kitchen and bathroom where you could be wet and in contact with plumbing) where you could be touching an appliance's case and provide a relatively low resistance path to ground.

Doctor Butts posted:

So are you saying I could wire up a ground rod or something to the point where the metal conduit starts?
No. This is very dangerous. The ground rod is for lightning protection and nothing else.

SoundMonkey posted:

you can get a non-shameful whole-home tankless gas heater for like $600
I hate the fact that I live half a mile from a major gas pipeline and we don't have gas service here.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I have a question about exterior switches, I have this outside:

I see that it's just a regular switch inside a box and the outside lever just flips it. I guess I could replace the switch with a z-wave switch of the same style right?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I have a question about exterior switches, I have this outside:

I see that it's just a regular switch inside a box and the outside lever just flips it. I guess I could replace the switch with a z-wave switch of the same style right?

You got it. Those covers only work with toggle switches though, not the rocker style ones. Outdoor outlets on the other hand must be weather resistant rated.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I just moved into a new apartment. It's a 1930's building, plaster and lath walls. There's a fairly modern breaker box in the basement and individual meters and such, but in the closet of every unit is an old fuse box with 4 fuses in it. The big problem with the unit, and we've only noticed since we moved in, is there every room only has 1 outlet (3 prong at least thank god) at the maximum, and no hallways, the bathroom, or the kitchen have any outlets. There's nowhere to plug in the toaster or kettle in the kitchen, there's no place in the bathroom to plug in a shaver or a blow drier. There isn't even an outlet near by because there's nothing in any hallway.

Obviously we wouldn't do it our selves, but how difficult would it be to add another outlet or two? The actual switch for the bathroom light is actually IN the backroom which seems rare for buildings of this era, a little outlet under it for a blow drier would be a godsend. Similarly an outlet along any of the kitchen counters would be great too, there's a whole 2nd counter far away from the sink that would probably be ideal for a small kitchen appliance zone.

Is this something I could ask my landlord to do and pay for? I'm curious what sort of general price range it would be to get an electrician in to do so, or if it would be some massive nightmare that would need the whole unit's service upgraded or something crazy.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Is this something I could ask my landlord to do and pay for? I'm curious what sort of general price range it would be to get an electrician in to do so, or if it would be some massive nightmare that would need the whole unit's service upgraded or something crazy.

You can ask your landlord to do anything, but as long as everything is up to code they have no reason to do poo poo. If you want some new outlets installed it really depends on the contractor, but I'd say on average it's about 300-400 to add an outlet... but keep in mind with older housing you may not be able to run a to code outlet so depending on accessibility and space it could be a lot more expensive than you think.

If I were in your position I would just move, the place sounds pretty lovely.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

kid sinister posted:

You got it. Those covers only work with toggle switches though, not the rocker style ones. Outdoor outlets on the other hand must be weather resistant rated.

Do they make smart switches that are toggles? I've only ever seen the rockers.

e: Just out of curiosity, is it possible to put exterior switches under a weather-proof cover instead, like an "In-Use" outlet cover? I guess you'd still have to expose the switch to use it, but I'm wondering if this is a thing that was ever even thought of/done. Also, does any of the code apply to "isolated" smart switches (i.e. switches with no actual power attached to them that act as a second/third location for Smart multi-switch wiring configs)?

Hubis fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 29, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ElCondemn posted:

You can ask your landlord to do anything, but as long as everything is up to code they have no reason to do poo poo. If you want some new outlets installed it really depends on the contractor, but I'd say on average it's about 300-400 to add an outlet... but keep in mind with older housing you may not be able to run a to code outlet so depending on accessibility and space it could be a lot more expensive than you think.

If I were in your position I would just move, the place sounds pretty lovely.

We just moved in today. He's been doing a lot of upgrades to the building, new roof, new windows, new furnace. I'd be willing to pay 300-400 for a loving plug in the bathroom.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Baronjutter posted:

Ask nicely, because yeah, GFCI outlets within 6' of every residential sink are now required by code. It's not beyond the realm of possibility that asking for this outlet from a professional will have them say "my permit requires your $150 outlet and $3500 in other work."

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I just remembered that a friend of mine is a practising electrician, I bet he could give us a good deal so long as the landlord approves. I don't care spending 300-400 or so, I just want a drat outlet.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Baronjutter posted:

So I just moved into a new apartment. It's a 1930's building, plaster and lath walls. There's a fairly modern breaker box in the basement and individual meters and such, but in the closet of every unit is an old fuse box with 4 fuses in it. The big problem with the unit, and we've only noticed since we moved in, is there every room only has 1 outlet (3 prong at least thank god) at the maximum, and no hallways, the bathroom, or the kitchen have any outlets. There's nowhere to plug in the toaster or kettle in the kitchen, there's no place in the bathroom to plug in a shaver or a blow drier. There isn't even an outlet near by because there's nothing in any hallway.

Obviously we wouldn't do it our selves, but how difficult would it be to add another outlet or two? The actual switch for the bathroom light is actually IN the backroom which seems rare for buildings of this era, a little outlet under it for a blow drier would be a godsend. Similarly an outlet along any of the kitchen counters would be great too, there's a whole 2nd counter far away from the sink that would probably be ideal for a small kitchen appliance zone.

Those three prong outlets... I'd be fairly surprised if they were actually grounded.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

devicenull posted:

Those three prong outlets... I'd be fairly surprised if they were actually grounded.

My buddy is coming around tomorrow to check the building's wiring out the best he can non-invasively and see what he thinks about new outlets. Landlord was surprisingly cool with it, so long as the guy is a real electrician and does it to code he's ok. My friend mostly does commercial and industrial and worked on some 100+ year old heritage poo poo so he should be well suited to the task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

Sometimes desperate times call for desperate measures:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-15-Amp-Tamper-Resistant-Combination-Switch-and-Outlet-White-R62-T5225-0WS/202035011