Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

god this blows posted:

How bad is the battery life on these things? I have the Alta HR which gets about a week and I know I won't get anything like that.

Depends heavily on what you use it for. If you treat it like a health stat-monitoring wrist watch that mirrors notifications from your iPhone, then 2 days, easily (but still might as well charge it overnight, or during a shower — it charges to full in like a half hour or less.) The most I got out of mine in this use case was just about 3 days, when I went on a family vacation and forgot to bring the charging puck.

Anything more strenuous than that, you can probably still get a day out of it. I think the biggest drains are streaming music, making phone calls, and the display.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

So I picked up the new watch and it's my first one. Are there any useful hiking apps or should I just stick to default apps? I mostly just wanna see how far I've gone, steps, maybe elevation or maps or somthing.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I got a nylon loop today. It's quite nice, but does kind of look like you're wearing velcro.
Hook and loop :v:

What color did you get? I think I’ve only seen pictures of the black and blue ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I got black. It's black. I'm probably going to pop into an Apple Store tonight and will check out the other colors. I'm hoping orange looks nice.

EDIT: Also, looking at the Apple site, it appears I put it on upside down. :shrug:

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

EDIT: Also, looking at the Apple site, it appears I put it on upside down. :shrug:

I'm wearing mine "upside down" on left wrist because the wheel/button makes a lot more sense that way. It's cool you can do this.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

tuna posted:

I'm wearing mine "upside down" on left wrist because the wheel/button makes a lot more sense that way. It's cool you can do this.

The part of the band that doubles-over is meant to be on top, for strength, irrespective of the watch’s alignment itself.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

The part of the band that doubles-over is meant to be on top, for strength, irrespective of the watch’s alignment itself.

Oh lol, I thought he meant the watch itself was upside down (crown on left). I'm not wearing the strap the wrong way.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

tuna posted:

No, I mean, they show the part that loops through on the bottom of the watch. I have it on top.

Grassy Knowles posted:

No, their website shows it on the bottom.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Endless Mike posted:

No, their website shows it on the bottom.

In the packaging of the band, it stated to have it on top for swimming.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Grassy Knowles posted:

In the packaging of the band, it stated to have it on top for swimming.

Strange. I don't actually remember if I looked at the packaging. Top just seems more natural.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

Strange. I don't actually remember if I looked at the packaging. Top just seems more natural.

I imagine that the water rushing around you is strong enough to undo the hook-and-loop, where on the inside of the stroke it’s less susceptible
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In other news, stopped by an Apple Store since I was at the mall for some stuff anyway. The spicy orange sport loop is REALLY bright. The spicy orange nylon band is very attractive and I almost snagged one. The glass on the back of the iPhone 8 feels really nice.

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Anyone have any recommendations for a good two port charger. It would be iPhone 6s/iPad Air 2 and Apple Watch. I know a lot of people recommend Anker but not sure which of those would be the best choice.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Anker Elite Dual Port 24W USB Travel Wall Charger PowerPort 2 with PowerIQ and Foldab... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_toNUHh8movDzy

god this blows
Mar 13, 2003

Bum the Sad posted:

Anker Elite Dual Port 24W USB Travel Wall Charger PowerPort 2 with PowerIQ and Foldab... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071YMZ4LD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_apip_toNUHh8movDzy

Thanks, and that is cheaper than I thought it would be.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
We have four of those around the house, no complaints.

They also make 4, 5, and 6 port chargers.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Might as well get the 4 Port 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8ENXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MLc0zb0Z0T6RX

It's pretty compact and I keep it in my backpack. I use it to charge my phone, iPad, watch, and travel battery when I'm on travel.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Haggins posted:

Might as well get the 4 Port 40W https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00VH8ENXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_MLc0zb0Z0T6RX

It's pretty compact and I keep it in my backpack. I use it to charge my phone, iPad, watch, and travel battery when I'm on travel.

Does that actually have a folding plug? One pic shows it specifically, but the rest look like no. I haven't had great luck with these kinds of things matching pictures.

e: looks like it was revised at some point to add the folding plug. Cool.

eddiewalker fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Oct 1, 2017

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
Stopped by the Store yesterday to swap my olive sports band in favour of the olive nylon band. Is it just me or is the sports band almost impossible to put on one-handed? I thought the nylon would feel cheap or scratchy but it's surprisingly comfortable.

I was looking at getting the charging dock as well, but got this response from the girl who was helping me; "we always have them... they're not a big seller". I've never been talked out of a sale by a store employee before, I found it quite odd.

As it is, I'm still without a dock. I don't like using the standard charge cable because it's constantly trying to drag the watch off my bedside table. What's a simple, decent dock/stand for the watch?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Creature posted:

Stopped by the Store yesterday to swap my olive sports band in favour of the olive nylon band. Is it just me or is the sports band almost impossible to put on one-handed? I thought the nylon would feel cheap or scratchy but it's surprisingly comfortable.

I was looking at getting the charging dock as well, but got this response from the girl who was helping me; "we always have them... they're not a big seller". I've never been talked out of a sale by a store employee before, I found it quite odd.

As it is, I'm still without a dock. I don't like using the standard charge cable because it's constantly trying to drag the watch off my bedside table. What's a simple, decent dock/stand for the watch?

I've had this for like 2 years and I'm very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Simpeak-Char...NAH9K8CWX1WRS2F

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

rage-saq posted:

I've had this for like 2 years and I'm very happy with it.
https://www.amazon.com/Simpeak-Char...NAH9K8CWX1WRS2F
:same:, or another branded one at least. Also takes care of the multi port charger question a few posts above.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

Does that actually have a folding plug? One pic shows it specifically, but the rest look like no. I haven't had great luck with these kinds of things matching pictures.

e: looks like it was revised at some point to add the folding plug. Cool.

Yeah I ordered it last year and it does indeed have the folding plug. Nice, compact and not bulky.

MrNonacho
May 7, 2002

It ain't easy being white
It ain't easy being brown
All this pressure to be bright
I got children all over town!
A question about backups:

I know that unpairing a watch causes a full backup to be created on the phone. This backup can be seen as deletable app data when you go to Settings-General-iPhone Storage-Watch on the paired phone.

I've also read that the watch does continuous backups to the phone with normal usage. Is this also supposed to show up as app data in the above location? I've been using the watch for a couple days and don't see a backup there.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer
The heart rate monitor keeps activating on my S2 randomly. Is there a way to turn it off aside from taking the watch off?

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sock The Great posted:

The heart rate monitor keeps activating on my S2 randomly. Is there a way to turn it off aside from taking the watch off?

Don't think so. That's probably the Health app gathering data for your resting heart rate data. It turns on for like 45 seconds if you move around a lot or if you've been sitting a while.

If it's staying on for like 30 mins straight then that's weird. Mine did that once and I couldn't get it to turn off. I ended up restarting the watch and it's been fine.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sock The Great posted:

The app or it checking your heart rate in the background? The latter is a feature that I don't understand why you'd want to turn off but you can go into your Apple Watch app on your phone, and turn it off under Privacy > Motion & Fitness.

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

Dick Nipples posted:

Don't think so. That's probably the Health app gathering data for your resting heart rate data. It turns on for like 45 seconds if you move around a lot or if you've been sitting a while.

If it's staying on for like 30 mins straight then that's weird. Mine did that once and I couldn't get it to turn off. I ended up restarting the watch and it's been fine.

It's staying on for more than just a minute or so, in some cases 10 or 15 minutes. I don't mind it collecting my date for the Health app, but something is clearly wrong if its staying on for that long.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Sock The Great posted:

It's staying on for more than just a minute or so, in some cases 10 or 15 minutes. I don't mind it collecting my date for the Health app, but something is clearly wrong if its staying on for that long.

[quote="“Sock The Great”" post="“476978132”"]
It’s staying on for more than just a minute or so, in some cases 10 or 15 minutes. I don’t mind it collecting my date for the Health app, but something is clearly wrong if its staying on for that long.
[/quote]

Try rebooting the watch.

If that doesn't work, you could reset the watch.

And if that doesn't work, fruit stand till you die.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

Haggins posted:

This is the one I bought: http://amzn.to/2fRX9I4

I bought this and am extremely happy with it. Looks great and has a good price.

Atheist Sunglasses fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Oct 2, 2017

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Picked up one of these straps, it's super awesome and looks just like the photos- https://www.etsy.com/listing/495678212/handmade-horween-natural-shell-cordovan

I'm always blown away that people are willing to pay so much for the Apple leather bands when there's way cooler and way cheaper legit hand-made leather stuff you can just buy on Etsy.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah if you're going leather, etsy is a great choice. I got my eye on a snakeskin watch band!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

io_burn posted:

Picked up one of these straps, it's super awesome and looks just like the photos- https://www.etsy.com/listing/495678212/handmade-horween-natural-shell-cordovan

I'm always blown away that people are willing to pay so much for the Apple leather bands when there's way cooler and way cheaper legit hand-made leather stuff you can just buy on Etsy.

That one is really drat nice.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

io_burn posted:

I would buy the gently caress out of a shell cordovan deployant band that had the apple watch link band butterfly clasp on it. The apple butterfly clasp is pretty much the best one ever created.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

I wish I could see what was using all the power on this S3 lte. For some reason last night the battery went from 100% to 25%.. The only thing "running" was the now playing app which turns on automatically when my phone plays music. It's never done this much damage overnight, though.

On another note, I restarted the watch once I woke up to kill whatever was happening. The stocks app absolutely hates when you restart the watch and will change the stocks back to the default list and show the DOW. It completely ignores your custom stock list until you delete something and move it back on the phone and wait a while.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
The stocks app is amazingly lovely. I think I figured out what my issue with it is, I was trying to have a complication show the current price of various cryptocurrencies but outside of NYSE hours it thinks the markets are closed and won't update even though crypto markets run 24/7.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

io_burn posted:

The stocks app is amazingly lovely. I think I figured out what my issue with it is, I was trying to have a complication show the current price of various cryptocurrencies but outside of NYSE hours it thinks the markets are closed and won't update even though crypto markets run 24/7.

You’re mad that the stocks app doesn’t update buttcoins lol

io_burn posted:

Maybe you should just ... enjoy the day?

Have you tried that?

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

io_burn posted:

I use bitcoin ticker for that, but it also has the restarting phone problem. It'll default to some rando exchange I have no interest in until i gently caress around with the app on the phone for ages.

Also I wish more complications on the watch supported time travel.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

Grassy Knowles posted:

You’re mad that the stocks app doesn’t update buttcoins lol

Not mad at all, it’d just be nice. Where in any of these did you get that I was angry about this?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

io_burn posted:

Not mad at all, it’d just be nice. Where in any of these did you get that I was angry about this?

It's still a goon meme that any talk of investing into cryptocurrency is dumb regardless of what's been happening the past few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
Huh, weird, I’ve made a poo poo load on it while everyone was busy making fun of it I guess.

• Locked thread