Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

euphronius posted:

Embiid played 5v5 half court today

Looks to be on track for the regular season .
That's good news I guess but why does he have to be "on track" instead of just being ready now. and I don't mean that in like an entitled ungrateful way but what I mean is it seems a bit ominous how long this injury is lingering since it wasn't even that major afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fast Luck posted:

That's good news I guess but why does he have to be "on track" instead of just being ready now. and I don't mean that in like an entitled ungrateful way but what I mean is it seems a bit ominous how long this injury is lingering since it wasn't even that major afaik.

It's not lingering they are just being really conservative

All his scans are clean and he has no swelling

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Get that paper Russ

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
I am happy for Russ and also for my dear friend Metapod.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Doltos posted:

Dude hits his shoulder blades on the back board and no one in the last 10 posters has batted an eye

This is why the dunk contest is dead, no one's impressed anymore!!

I watched it like 5 times in a row

Doltos posted:

So this contract will be considered the worst of all time when he blows out both his knees in a year, right?

Curry's is worse. Insane amount of money to pay to a guy who can't even carry a team

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

zoux posted:

They work hard and are under insane pressure. So if we say that someone's salary should be commensurate with the actual amount of sweat and stress someone puts out, who does more than pro athletes?

The Foxconn worker who works so hard making the new iPhone 8 Plus that he/she decides to take the "big jump" into oblivion after years of being a slave.

Away all Goats posted:

The cynic in me says the new lottery reform makes the rigged results of the draft seem more fair :tinfoil:

You are correct. The suspicious example of CLE winning three #1 picks in four years exactly as they did in the 2011-2014 period was a 1 in 1,927 proposition under the old rules. Now taking those same lottery rankings and applying the new rules it's a 1 in 922 scenario. Likewise, the 1992 and 1993 Magic had a 1 in 435 shot to win those two drafts under the old rules. Now they'd have a 1 in 357 shot.

In a pure lottery the likelihood of CLE winning three #1s in a four year stretch would be 1 in 27,931.

Also, the thing about getting a #1 pick is that in the last thirty years you basically need to retain two #1 picks to get a title.

code:
2011	NBA	Cleveland Cavaliers	Kyrie Irving
2003	NBA	Cleveland Cavaliers	LeBron James
1997	NBA	San Antonio Spurs	Tim Duncan
1987	NBA	San Antonio Spurs	David Robinson
And, of course, a player like LBJ comes around very rarely and the Spurs situation was not typical of a team getting the #1 seed as Robinson was injured.

Shaq fled to LAL to get his rings and Glenn Robinson joined SAS in 2005. All those other #1 picks are ringless chumps.

Paul Zuvella posted:

IT
DRose
Wade
Lebron
KLove
Khloe Kardashian
JR Smith
Richard Jefferson's podcast
Comic Sans
Dan Gilbert's son

THE TEN ALPHAS

IT, Rose and Wade could all fall apart and I wouldn't be shocked.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Sep 29, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

We know what it looks like when a bad team doesn't have draft incentive: The Brooklyn Nets. It didn't make them win any more games and they were still appalling basketball. They just traded away their best player this offseason and they still don't have their pick.

That's one franchise with a reckless owner. I don't believe their modus operandi can be extrapolated across the entire league.

WhyteRyce posted:

To an uninformed outside observer, deliberate tanking is indistinguishable from a rebuilding team that is playing all their young guys. It's not really an easy to create rules that identifies and fixes the problem

To an uninformed outside observer, basketball probably wouldn't even make any sense at all.

Carlosologist posted:

I guess teams aren't incentivized to tank anymore but doesn't this make it harder for a bad small market team to get a top talent?

Less incentivization to partake in extreme tanking. Still some incentivization to tank at certain increments and rungs. A good argument could be made that all teams should have a lottery shot (excluding the top three seeds in both conferences). Considering the likelihood of a team winning a title as a four seed or higher is trivial and happens once or twice a century. That would nullify the middling 8 seed, non-playoff team dilemma.

Also, with how awful the Bulls, Lakers and Knicks are it will be harder for any small market these days.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 29, 2017

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP
Game developers work like 80 hours weeks. Public relations also work long hours and have to deal with lovely clients. Olympic stadium construction workers basically do the job with no human rights with it ending in death. Drug traffickers. Strippers. Amazon warehouse employees.

There are a lot more jobs that are harder and more stressful than professional sports that don't get nearly the same compensation. But that doesn't mean athletes don't deserve that compensation.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Time posted:

I know I probably shouldn't be surprised but I genuinely am that silver said that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
gently caress him, the NBA is the most progressive player pool/league around. if enough players do it then they won't be able to do a goddamn thing about it. we've got some of the most prominent and moneymaking players in the league already clearly publicly saying where their thoughts on the protests are.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

Because we know for a fact teams will still bottom out even with 0% draft odds (Nets), so now it just makes it more likely that really bad teams don't get the help they need.

It won't do anything other than make bad teams stay bad longer, and reward some waffling, 30 win team with no clear strategy with a top pick.

The reality of bad teams is never going to go away. The league has decided they'd rather have bad teams at least trying than teams trying to kill themselves.

Nobody can talk objectively about these draft systems because there is too much chaos and disorder involved. It's telling how many like to predict the future on a grand scale (in many areas of the noosphere) decades into the future but nobody can even prove who will win the NBA title in five years.

Rick posted:

With the way free agency is now it's extremly hard to win a title for most teams through any other way than the draft, and nothing's changed about that so good luck being a fan of a bad team.

And this is exactly right. Like yes, the Lakers very blatantly finished last season tanking hard. But even if they had been playing their best, what would the difference be? One or two wins?

Even with the ideal draft system it's extremely hard to win a title as the top new talent often isn't very talented.

In the 3P era here are the teams that had the worst WP% in the league who won the title later:

code:
2008 Heat	
2003 Cavaliers	
2002 Warriors	
1994 Mavericks	
1993 Mavericks	
1989 Heat	
1985 Warriors	
1983 Rockets	
1982 Cavaliers	
1981 Mavericks	
1980 Pistons	
The Heat sank to the bottom twice, Cavaliers twice, Warriors twice, Mavericks thrice, Pistons/Rockets once.

It's not just about wins/losses but ensuring that the best product is being put out on a game to game basis. Very few want to see two tanking teams play. A lot of fans don't want their best players being sent home with months left to play in the season (Tyson Chandler).

xbilkis posted:

It seems like the new odds will also broaden the scope of tanking, too. Before, when you were the 10th worst team, there's no real reason to put in a lot of effort to move up two picks unless some protection scenarios gave you an incentive to do so, because moving up in the lottery is still a long-shot.

Now, you can get a 1/4 chance of getting a top-5 pick if you're the eighth-worst team, so why not maximize your chances?

That's true but the issue of a few average teams tanking in end of March/April (the least important part of the season) is less significant compared to a franchise willing to self-immolate and jump off a cliff before the season has even started.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Libertine posted:

Therefore, NBA athletes should protest during the anthem because...? Is there a single good reason? Assuming you agree with the intentions of the protest and want to see meaningful change in the structural systems that cause oppression, this doesn't help address any of them and the result may lower both revenue and interaction in a way that gives players less compensation, visibility, and power to actually make change. So why?

Yea, it's funny when these athletes take dumps on politicians but I don't think people realize that this kind of stuff solidifies bases and creates groundswells of support. All these people having their Twitter skirmishes/battles against mastermind Trump are playing his game and they're probably going to lose (if they want some 2020 D president). Some of Trump's polling numbers are going up in recent weeks. Uh oh.

Now an interesting question is whether anti-Trump people would want more protests and athlete insults and in trade end up with another four years of him as POTUS.

Billions of jealous disenfranchised who will never be millionaires. The starving, the homeless, the modern-day sex-slave. To name a few.

Shear Modulus posted:

I don't get why they took odds away from the worst team and gave it to other teams if they wanted to disincentivize tanking. Now you don't even have to engineer a worse team than everyone else who's tanking as well as the really-lovely-by-accident teams to get the best odds. It reduces the barrier to tanking.

There are varying degrees of tanking.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 29, 2017

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
oh goddamnit, who installed the bad political take add-on into Zogobot.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Dexo posted:

We don't know! But they paid us in rubles.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Zogo posted:

Yea, it's funny when these athletes take dumps on politicians but I don't think people realize that this kind of stuff solidifies bases and creates groundswells of support. All these people having their Twitter skirmishes/battles against mastermind Trump are playing his game and they're probably going to lose (if they want some 2020 D president). Some of Trump's polling numbers are going up in recent weeks. Uh oh.

Now an interesting question is whether anti-Trump people would want more protests and athlete insults and in trade end up with another four years of him as POTUS.

Billions of jealous disenfranchised who will never be millionaires. The starving, the homeless, the modern-day sex-slave. To name a few.
don't have a big enough eyeroll for this tone policing hypothetical BUT WHAT IF THE WHITES GET MAD poo poo, zogo

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Dexo posted:

It's like that bot that became an insane racist

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zogo posted:

The reality of bad teams is never going to go away. The league has decided they'd rather have bad teams at least trying than teams trying to kill themselves.

Nobody can talk objectively about these draft systems because there is too much chaos and disorder involved. It's telling how many like to predict the future on a grand scale (in many areas of the noosphere) decades into the future but nobody can even prove who will win the NBA title in five years.

Even with the ideal draft system it's extremely hard to win a title as the top new talent often isn't very talented.

In the 3P era here are the teams that had the worst WP% in the league who won the title later:

code:
2008 Heat	
2003 Cavaliers	
2002 Warriors	
1994 Mavericks	
1993 Mavericks	
1989 Heat	
1985 Warriors	
1983 Rockets	
1982 Cavaliers	
1981 Mavericks	
1980 Pistons	
The Heat sank to the bottom twice, Cavaliers twice, Warriors twice, Mavericks thrice, Pistons/Rockets once.

It's not just about wins/losses but ensuring that the best product is being put out on a game to game basis. Very few want to see two tanking teams play. A lot of fans don't want their best players being sent home with months left to play in the season (Tyson Chandler).

That's true but the issue of a few average teams tanking in end of March/April (the least important part of the season) is less significant compared to a franchise willing to self-immolate and jump off a cliff before the season has even started.

You of all people should know the difference between anecdote and fact, you don't know what fans think about winning and losing and don't have any evidence to support it.

And the reason that lowest win % doesn't translate into titles that often are varied but considering the Kings, Wizards and Clippers make up the majority of the worst seasons there starts to emerge a pattern.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Zogo posted:

There are varying degrees of tanking.

You're a relatively smart guy Zogo, but this is pretty retarded.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Dexo posted:

The Russians did it. What's bad?

Punkin Spunkin posted:

don't have a big enough eyeroll for this tone policing hypothetical BUT WHAT IF THE WHITES GET MAD poo poo, zogo

Sorry but that's not what I meant to say at all. What's your opinion on that hypothetical?

CharlestheHammer posted:

It's like that bot that became an insane racist

What did I say that's insane or racist?

Redgrendel2001 posted:

You're a relatively smart guy Zogo, but this is pretty retarded.

I've heard many, many times how we're supposed to have a conversation about things like this. So explain it to me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Gunna just ignore the political posts but:

Zogo posted:

That's one franchise with a reckless owner. I don't believe their modus operandi can be extrapolated across the entire league.

Zogo posted:

The Nets haven't been badly run the last couple years, they've been doing the smart thing in their situation: Taking on bad contracts for assets and making plays to overpay young RFAs to hopefully find something (not sure I always agree on every move, but I think the strategy is sound). So if your a bad team, your going to do this anyway, which will result in lots of losses anyway, but now you have less value in your draft pick. It won't stop teams from shutting down decent players or trading away good role players for pennies on the dollar, teams will still tank (because it'll still be the best prospect) they'll just be stuck tanking longer now. Yippee.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Not liking the idea of it being true does not make it false. Tina Fay will probably motivate more pro than anti Trump sentiment, since she's preaching to the converted.

It's very possible to agree with the protest against police brutality and understand that when it becomes a larger issue it can benefit politicians who use racist dogwhistles as a dialect.

I don't know if this counts as a derail since we're still a day away from real basketball, but my opinion is that the earlier kneeling against brutality was good but last sunday's pro nfl disappearances were not and as was stated are the first step in complete co-option of this particular protest.

I think the larger issue is that there's a massive difference between what people know of as "America." Some people think it only means the good things, the stereotypical immigrant stuff and bootstraps and freedom. Other people see it as police brutality, neocolonial violence, poverty and immiseration. The people on the bad side should make an attempt to communicate the world as they see it so that the side that sees no problem can understand their position, because for every 2 people who are just reflexively reactionary racist, there's someone who genuinely doesn't know and could be turned to a better course.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

People say the Nets haven't been badly run lately and while I'm inclined to agree, I'm also looking at those Allen Crabbe, Otto Porter, and Tyler Johnson deals and wondering what a team with 2 of those 3 anchoring them would look like

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Can't believe Russell Westbrook signed with the Los Angeles Thunder of Oklahoma City I'm still shaking

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sounds like y'all are telling zogo to stick to sports :thunk:

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Metapod posted:

Can't believe Russell Westbrook signed with the Los Angeles Thunder of Oklahoma City I'm still shaking

Ilu Metapod. Just wanted to let you know.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

WhyteRyce posted:

People say the Nets haven't been badly run lately and while I'm inclined to agree, I'm also looking at those Allen Crabbe, Otto Porter, and Tyler Johnson deals and wondering what a team with 2 of those 3 anchoring them would look like

6th place in the east

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/KingJames/status/913889928181948416

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Tyler Johnson's contract is hardly an anchor. Maybe because of the way it's backloaded but his ~12M average salary over the length of the contract is pretty standard fare for a solid bench player.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

nachos posted:

Tyler Johnson's contract is hardly an anchor. Maybe because of the way it's backloaded but his ~12M average salary over the length of the contract is pretty standard fare for a solid bench player.

We've already established that "market value/standard fare" contracts for players just coming off rookie deals are usually some of the worst value. And as a rebuilding team, you shouldn't start your process by solidifying bench and rotation spots

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Tyler Johnson is in the running for ugliest player in the league and also isn't very good

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

WhyteRyce posted:

We've already established that "market value/standard fare" contracts for players just coming off rookie deals are usually some of the worst value. And as a rebuilding team, you shouldn't start your process by solidifying bench and rotation spots

But in the Nets case, by the time the Nets would be in a position to start building a real team, those contracts would either be moveable or even expiring, depending on the timeline. Tyler Johnson may not be an anchor, but you can probably move his contract and might even get something in return by the 2nd or 3rd year of that deal. Guys like Crabbe or Porter might never be worth their contract, but by the time that matters there won't be much weight left.

Basically, while those contracts might be bad for, like, Portland they are not bad for Brooklyn because of their situations.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Rick posted:

You of all people should know the difference between anecdote and fact, you don't know what fans think about winning and losing and don't have any evidence to support it.

And the reason that lowest win % doesn't translate into titles that often are varied but considering the Kings, Wizards and Clippers make up the majority of the worst seasons there starts to emerge a pattern.

That's true that fans vary from team to team. But I do have strong evidence that the owners have sided against extreme tanking.

Dejan Bimble posted:

It's very possible to agree with the protest against police brutality and understand that when it becomes a larger issue it can benefit politicians who use racist dogwhistles as a dialect.

...but last sunday's pro nfl disappearances were not and as was stated are the first step in complete co-option of this particular protest.

I think the larger issue is that there's a massive difference between what people know of as "America." Some people think it only means the good things, the stereotypical immigrant stuff and bootstraps and freedom. Other people see it as police brutality, neocolonial violence, poverty and immiseration. The people on the bad side should make an attempt to communicate the world as they see it so that the side that sees no problem can understand their position, because for every 2 people who are just reflexively reactionary racist, there's someone who genuinely doesn't know and could be turned to a better course.

Yes, at this point LBJ could flush the American flag down the toilet on live TV and the message will have been lost. Colin Kaepernick could win a SB ring with the world's biggest and most intimidating and most frightening afro (to racist John Q. Public) and then detonate TNT near a Stonewall Jackson statue (angering many in the south). But I'm skeptical things will change.

Likewise, on the other side Trump could go on TV wearing a military uniform looking like a dictator and berate all athletes with curse words and racial slurs for the next few months and threaten to lock them all up. Anyone thinking he'd lose a lot of votes in 2020 over those actions is living in La La Land or another liberal bastion.

At the national level Trump and the anthem/flag vs. athletes and knees is being distilled down to generic platitudes and boilerpate divide and conquer agitprop at this point. It's working as can be seen by a growing sense of anger among millions. The peasants, proletariat and plebeians are greatly angered on both sides of this debate. The elites are likely pleased. They've staved off the revolution once again!

Again...sorry if I've offended anyone (very easy in the political realm). I'm talking in a lot of hypotheticals and abstractions here. I'm not coming in here wearing a MAGA hat and waving a confederate flag.

A circuitous step in the right direction in some respects.

Lockback posted:

The Nets haven't been badly run the last couple years, they've been doing the smart thing in their situation: Taking on bad contracts for assets and making plays to overpay young RFAs to hopefully find something (not sure I always agree on every move, but I think the strategy is sound). So if your a bad team, your going to do this anyway, which will result in lots of losses anyway, but now you have less value in your draft pick. It won't stop teams from shutting down decent players or trading away good role players for pennies on the dollar, teams will still tank (because it'll still be the best prospect) they'll just be stuck tanking longer now. Yippee.

I think these scenarios are possibilities and not necessarily 100% guarantees. That's why I'm in favor of the pure lottery.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

Not liking the idea of it being true does not make it false. Tina Fay will probably motivate more pro than anti Trump sentiment, since she's preaching to the converted.
But neither you nor zogo are proving it's "true." Not liking the idea of it being false doesn't make it true. You're just asserting beliefs and clearly I disagree that some silent majority is being swayed for trump because athletes want to be publicly political. More like a loud minority.

You and Zogo are just "saying" it's true, and I'm just saying I don't think so. Agree to disagree.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

Zogo posted:

Trump's approval numbers were bad to start with, went up fractionally when Harvey and Irma were the big news stories, and are now down fractionally after the NFL/NBA comments.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Like sorry but the only scenario in which I'm worried about 2020 is if we decide AGAIN to run the 2nd most unpopular presidential candidate (Hillary) against the 1st most unpopular (Trump). Any democrat in a suit could've beaten the man. I don't think Hillary has the gall, so I'm not about to start handwringing about athletes publicly protesting black men being murdered in the street by police officers

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
I'm a Spurs fan University of Texas grad who is celebrating today the rekindling of the Bron/Wade bromance and Westbrook dunking on my former favorite Longhorn of all time.

If 2012 me saw 2017 me through some sort of wormhole, he'd wonder what the gently caress had turned this world into the Bizarroverse.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Durant to the Warriors made us all allies.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The vast majority of people who put Trump in office are the same people who vote for anyone with an R next to their name. Liberal and left wing criticism of him is not what will get him re-elected. It's really just a matter of Democrats getting their poo poo together. Protest away, I say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

BWV posted:

Durant to the Warriors made us all allies.

• Locked thread