Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Timby posted:

Yep. Cinderella, Snow White, Lion King, Aladdin, Little Mermaid, Dumbo, Sword in the Stone and 101 Dalmatians are all in varying stages of production.

Didn't they already do Cinderella?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Barudak posted:

Look we just did a musical version of Peter Pan, not the musical but unrelated pop songs to sing, where Hook forces the children to mine for what is basically magic cocaine. You dont get another one of these so soon.

Holy poo poo I only just remembered that film existed. You're giving critics an easy pun when you call your movie ""Pan".

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Didn't they already do Cinderella?

I guess "completed and released" is technically a stage of production

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So how did Transformers Last Knight turn out anyway? The trailers were fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shageletic posted:

So how did Transformers Last Knight turn out anyway? The trailers were fun.

The entire film wouldnt happen if the main characters did nothing, the main mcguffin doesnt work for the people who have it so why the want it remains a mystery.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Barudak posted:

The entire film wouldnt happen if the main characters did nothing

This is pretty common.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Its really weird but better than the fourth

Anonymous John
Mar 8, 2002

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It really is. Unfortunately they [30 Seconds to Mars] don't even play anything from that album live anymore to my knowledge.

If you watch their documentary Artifact on Netflix about them fighting with their record label, it's pretty hilarious. Leto thinks he's god's gift to music. Honestly, if he wasn't such a smug rear end in a top hat and 30STM had stuck to their roots, they probably would've had an amazing career.

Didn't Leto direct this movie himself under a pseudonym?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I really liked Voices From a Distant Star, it reminded me a lot of early sixties sci-fi.

That's because it's based on the 60s classic The Forever War. And yes, I absolutely held that against against the movie because it turned the mecha symbolism upside down.

In the books the mechs are slow, cumbersome and more dangerous to the pilots than the aliens they were fighting. Bevause they were advanced tech the war ended up conscripting the brightest young minds and grinding them into meat.

It was a based off of the author's Vietnam experience and were symbolic of this pitiless, and ultimately pointless, war machine that eventually turned into a decadent war economy.

Voices of a Distant star made the mechs into zip zoom gundams. It basically glorified war.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Also at the end of forever war communism wins,which might explain why there will never be a movie about it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Also at the end of forever war communism wins,which might explain why there will never be a movie about it.

Isn't everyone clones at the end of it? Or was that a different Halderman novel?

He writes well, but he has trouble wrapping things up and so tends to do it in an infodump.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

ChainsawCharlie posted:

Well, humanity evolves into gay clones.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

That's because it's based on the 60s classic The Forever War. And yes, I absolutely held that against against the movie because it turned the mecha symbolism upside down.

In the books the mechs are slow, cumbersome and more dangerous to the pilots than the aliens they were fighting. Bevause they were advanced tech the war ended up conscripting the brightest young minds and grinding them into meat.

It was a based off of the author's Vietnam experience and were symbolic of this pitiless, and ultimately pointless, war machine that eventually turned into a decadent war economy.

Voices of a Distant star made the mechs into zip zoom gundams. It basically glorified war.

I don't think there are any mechs in Forever War. They do prominently feature in Forever Peace. In that, they're piloted remotely by 10 or so humans all in gestalt, shared consciousness. They have to be pulled out periodically, though, since sharing that closely for too long renders a human unable to kill, their empathy gets too strong. In the end, everyone is linked and peace reigns except the hero and heroine, who can't link in due to injury.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

porfiria posted:

Well, humanity evolves into gay clones.

awesome telephatic gay clones which is basically full communism.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hollywood loves gay pacifist clones, idk why its supposed to be an impossible movie

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Powaqoatse posted:

hollywood loves gay pacifist clones, idk why its supposed to be an impossible movie

Only at the pool party and absolutely never on shareable film.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Barudak posted:

Only at the pool party and absolutely never on shareable film.

or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GM2IuSLFcL8

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0I1Vh-Ru1z0

weirdly casual yet still homophobic

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I don't think there are any mechs in Forever War. They do prominently feature in Forever Peace. In that, they're piloted remotely by 10 or so humans all in gestalt, shared consciousness. They have to be pulled out periodically, though, since sharing that closely for too long renders a human unable to kill, their empathy gets too strong. In the end, everyone is linked and peace reigns except the hero and heroine, who can't link in due to injury.

There's powered armor, but there both immense powerful, shooting lasers out of their fingers, and ridiculously fragile, considering that a guy falls over on Charon during a training exercise, bends his radiators, and almost cooks in his suit. Mandala and company have to pull off this risky manuever where they build a rock shelter, seal it, and pump in some oxygen while another group grab a spare suit for him to switch.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Young Freud posted:

There's powered armor, but there both immense powerful, shooting lasers out of their fingers, and ridiculously fragile, considering that a guy falls over on Charon during a training exercise, bends his radiators, and almost cooks in his suit. Mandala and company have to pull off this risky manuever where they build a rock shelter, seal it, and pump in some oxygen while another group grab a spare suit for him to switch.

I remember now. I really like how Halderman always understood that no piece of military tech would ever run as well as the manufacturer promised.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

I remember now. I really like how Halderman always understood that no piece of military tech would ever run as well as the manufacturer promised.

I think there was also a bit where they discuss that the guy with the bent radiator fins was lucky he fell on rock, because the exterior temperature was just a few Kelvin outside of absolute zero and if he fell on the ice, his radiators would have explosively sublimated the frozen ice.

Also, thinking about Voices and someone's description of Shinkai being "a walking talking missed connection craigslist post", it answers why the main character is a schoolgirl piloting a mech instead of a male character: she's Shinkai's waifu, who will be forever young while his insert (who was originally voiced by him) grows old. At least the visual novel (written by someone else, but partially illustrated by Shinkai) made Noburo a much more active character who at least volunteers to join the UN after her and joining a rescue mission to save her carrier, instead of just sending text message back and forth.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ChainsawCharlie posted:

awesome telephatic gay clones which is basically full communism.

Until they get *frumple* with the Orz.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Young Freud posted:

I think there was also a bit where they discuss that the guy with the bent radiator fins was lucky he fell on rock, because the exterior temperature was just a few Kelvin outside of absolute zero and if he fell on the ice, his radiators would have explosively sublimated the frozen ice.

Also, thinking about Voices and someone's description of Shinkai being "a walking talking missed connection craigslist post", it answers why the main character is a schoolgirl piloting a mech instead of a male character: she's Shinkai's waifu, who will be forever young while his insert (who was originally voiced by him) grows old. At least the visual novel (written by someone else, but partially illustrated by Shinkai) made Noburo a much more active character who at least volunteers to join the UN after her and joining a rescue mission to save her carrier, instead of just sending text message back and forth.

Anime was a mistake.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Timby posted:

101 Dalmatians

They did this one twenty years ago and I remember it being rather enjoyable, especially Glenn Close's performance.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Makoto Shinkai is a very lonely, very sad man who doesn't really know how to talk to women (and one could argue anyone), his work has made that much obvious again and again. He is like the platonic ideal of the "herbivore male" trend of Japanese guys who struggle with any interaction with people not of their gender.

I mean, this is a guy who got massively worried when Your Name was breaking into the top 5 films all time in Japan because it was "too successful" and was giving him anxiety about making anything else.

He seems like someone who would be much happier doodling clouds and women's feet for the rest of his life in a cabin in the woods.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

got any sevens posted:

Anime was a mistake.

i will happily accept all of the creepiness that anime has wrought upon this earth because it also gave us the collective works of Studio Ghibli and Satoshi Kon. I mean poo poo, Spirited Away on its own is enough to forgive every terrible fan-service laden tv show of the last 17 years.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Young Freud posted:

Were they really powered armor and not mechs? I could've sworn there was a bit in the book where they explain that if the mech falls over you're good as dead unless you're trained to absorb the impact because its essentially the same as falling off a multi story building.

Which at the time I thought was pretty impressive because every single piece of modern media just hand-waves off the physics off getting bounced around a cockpit set at the head of a giant.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Thundercracker posted:

Were they really powered armor and not mechs? I could've sworn there was a bit in the book where they explain that if the mech falls over you're good as dead unless you're trained to absorb the impact because its essentially the same as falling off a multi story building.

It was powered armor at least until the status bubble is developed. I remember the second iteration of the UNEF armor has the amputation irises that spring into action the moment the wearer's suit was breached, which is how Mandala and Marigay lose limbs in a battle.

Thundercracker posted:

Which at the time I thought was pretty impressive because every single piece of modern media just hand-waves off the physics off getting bounced around a cockpit set at the head of a giant.

There's a bit in 21st Century Boys where some characters are talking about giant robots and brings up head cockpits being a sure way to induce nausea by bouncing around just from walking.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Cameo posted:

Makoto Shinkai is a very lonely, very sad man who doesn't really know how to talk to women (and one could argue anyone), his work has made that much obvious again and again. He is like the platonic ideal of the "herbivore male" trend of Japanese guys who struggle with any interaction with people not of their gender.

I mean, this is a guy who got massively worried when Your Name was breaking into the top 5 films all time in Japan because it was "too successful" and was giving him anxiety about making anything else.

He seems like someone who would be much happier doodling clouds and women's feet for the rest of his life in a cabin in the woods.

He's a happily married dude who made Voices with he and his wife as the cast so god knows what the gently caress you're talking about.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Like jesus loving christ that is some loving projection happening there.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Samuel Clemens posted:

Hell, just let Villeneuve direct every film, why not?
I'm good.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Did not make it to the cinema in time for mother! so I watched The Foreigner instead. It was pretty good. The movie started quietly and then the story begins with extreme sudden-ness. No warning at all. Jackie Chan being a secret badass was not really hinted at either but the reveal happens almost as fast. He even does his trademark 'use object lying around as weapon' thing. I like that did they not shy away from showing Jackie Chan's age; his character gets hurt and beaten up a lot even when winning a fight, and he often wins by catching his foes off guard.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The MSJ posted:

Jackie Chan being a secret badass was not really hinted at either

The fact that he's Jackie Chan wasn't a hint?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

They did this one twenty years ago and I remember it being rather enjoyable, especially Glenn Close's performance.

Yeah, but now they're doing a Maleficent-style origin story for Cruella de Vil, starring Emma Stone.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Timby posted:

Yeah, but now they're doing a Maleficent-style origin story for Cruella de Vil, starring Emma Stone.

That's probably gonna kill the fad, thank Christ

"hey everybody, sympathize with this person who is synonymous with wanting to torture animals!" is not going to fly with most people

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

The MSJ posted:

That's how Jackie Chan fights usually go sI like that did they not shy away from showing Jackie Chan's age; his character gets hurt and beaten up a lot even when winning a fight, and he often wins by catching his foes off guard.

That's been Jackie Chan's fighting style since the 70's.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
Flatliners was unfortunately pretty bland. I was either hoping it would be secretly good or else very wrongheaded. But instead, it's just a glossy remake but without the gothic feel of the original. They even set it in a basement so they could have tapped into that for more atmosphere but it still felt pretty glossy and sterile. I enjoy remakes that depart from the aesthetic of the original but when you take away the general "forbidden" feel of doing experiments in some abandoned and foreboding place and don't have the kind of menace of Keifer (Ellen doesn't even try to provide that), it's just forgettable. I'm only warm on the original but this is a lot like the Poltergeist remake where it's not incompetent but completely disposable.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

The MSJ posted:

Did not make it to the cinema in time for mother!
god is sending you a sign and you need to take this opportunity

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

god is sending you a sign and you need to take this opportunity

I wouldn't listen to Him, he's a weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

a kitten posted:

Like jesus loving christ that is some loving projection happening there.

Sorry, Mr. Shinkai, didn't realize you posted here, too

• Locked thread