Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

So Math posted:

Incidentally, VCV Rack, a virtual modular system, just launched with some Mutable Instruments clone modules among others. (https://vcvrack.com/) Seems like a nice way to try it out for free.

Kinda surprised this is the only mention of VCV Rack in the thread. I've been playing with it this week and it's really neat. It's still in very early stages and only v.0.3.2 but it's already really fun to play around with. It's free and open source, works on MacOS/Windows/Linux, source is on GitHub, and it already has a bunch of free modules.

Available modules include clones of most of the Mutable stuff (Braids, Elements, Tides, Clouds, Warps, Rings, etc), a bunch of Befaco DIY stuff, and some "Fundamental" stuff like VCA, VCO, VCF, Delay, ADSR, an oscilloscope, a mixer, and a sequencer. I made a decent patch the other night and by the end there must've been ten grand worth of "modules".

Here's a youtube video of some dude talking about it a bit and showing off some of what it can do: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaMxS5-4U-c
Honestly though, it's more fun to just start loving around with.

It's not going to be replacing anyone's hardware synths but it's pretty cool and the price is right. The dev has already released 2 updates in the 3 weeks it's been out, so it'll hopefully keep getting better. I think it could also be a really cool tool for teaching synthesis fundamentals.

Here's a screenshot of a crappy little patch I slapped together in 5 mins to have something to take a screenshot of:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Skeletron posted:

What up y'all, it's been a while but I just released my first collection of bleeps and bloops on Beer on the Rug.

What was the process like for you, from writing to getting it signed and released?

Since thats a huge question, I'm wondering I guess - how did you and the label find each other? Were they the only people you talked to or? Did you write it as an album and then shop it around? Or was there back and forth involved? Did they do any mastering or anything for you?

I'd love as much detail as you have time for but no worries if that ends up being "not that much"

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

I stopped at Goodwill on the way to the grocery store today and found this. Anyone know anything about it? A quick google search shows that one sold on Reverb for $800 last month, so buying it was a no brainer.

I was planning on selling it, then got home and tested it out. It actually sounds really loving good.

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011
that multivox is cool becuase its not really a copy of anything per se
the only thing i know is that they tend to fall apart if you try to play them, i think that one has aftertouch as well?

e. multivox just rebadged that from firstman(?)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmn1Mwy6Eac

Clavavisage fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Sep 30, 2017

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Clavavisage posted:

the only thing i know is that they tend to fall apart if you try to play them, i think that one has aftertouch as well?

Yeah, I've been playing around with it a bit and the "touch sensor effect" seems to be aftertouch.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Clavavisage posted:

This vid is incredible. Just sayin'.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
drat dude, what a find. Does that thing have a way to modify the envelope beyond those two switches?

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

rickiep00h posted:

This vid is incredible. Just sayin'.

the singer girl is the daughter of the guy in charge of the rebranding, they made a whole album as a product demo at the time

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
For fucks sake why is KVR like this

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Muff's is back up.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Plavski posted:

OP-1 ordered. That should keep me quiet for a month or two until the Digitakt is back in stock. Then all I need is a new audio interface to support the gear. And then all I need is a...

Good old GAS, keeping my girlfriend worried about our finances since 2013.

I ordered one too. What a fun little device. I take it on my lunch break and just noodle around. I am super happy with the purchase so far. The Digitakt looks fun too.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

he1ixx posted:

I ordered one too. What a fun little device. I take it on my lunch break and just noodle around. I am super happy with the purchase so far. The Digitakt looks fun too.

The OP-1 basically cured my gearlust. It's the ultimate noodling playground. I always have it near me around the house and it's so great for just flicking on and having fun for an hour. I especially love deconstructing a simple melody through some of the crazier effects (love the cow!).

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Lawen posted:

Kinda surprised this is the only mention of VCV Rack in the thread. I've been playing with it this week and it's really neat. It's still in very early stages and only v.0.3.2 but it's already really fun to play around with. It's free and open source, works on MacOS/Windows/Linux, source is on GitHub, and it already has a bunch of free modules.

There's some utility stuff and a drum module here, too. Also a €5 blank tile. Glad to see they have a sense of humor.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Plavski posted:

The OP-1 basically cured my gearlust. It's the ultimate noodling playground. I always have it near me around the house and it's so great for just flicking on and having fun for an hour. I especially love deconstructing a simple melody through some of the crazier effects (love the cow!).

Same here. I still lust after gear but this little device has been a constant companion. I have a TON to learn about it but videos like Red Means Recording have been huge for me.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
MI has discontinued Clouds, to the surprise of no one. Kind of wondering if anything will be left at this point.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
He wrote some nice words about it's history here -
https://www.facebook.com/mutable.instruments/posts/1423657734415629

edit: Notable, on upcoming modules - " Discontinuing Braids, Peaks and Clouds left major gaps in the "Sound generation", "Modulation generation" and "Sound processing" departments."

edit2:
someone said "Officially reserved for whatever comes next..." with a picture of some blank panels in their rack.
Oliver replied - "You need 12, 14, 18, 14 and 18 HPs"

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Oct 4, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Tayter Swift posted:

MI has discontinued Clouds, to the surprise of no one. Kind of wondering if anything will be left at this point.

their analog modules are great, i plugged kinks in backwards once and it didnt even mind  kinky :wink: 

somebody liked a vid on my instagram that showed clouds in my rack, id almost forgot about playing with it! its sound didnt suit me, but im a knob per function freak and i had no issue operating its different modes

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Haha wow, that ghettosynth character... hard to tell but I think he's trolling? Not very well in any event

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
You guys and ladies have any sugggestions for discussion/resources for general/platform-independent synthesis? I've been into Pure Data lately but the community around it moves fairly slowly.

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit
Hi ppl, I'm a newbie but I'm looking to get a nice analog synth. My question is, I'm probably gonna get a microbrute because it looks pretty straightforward and fun to play but is there a good argument I might want something a little less 'entry level' like an ms-20 mini? I see the benefits there being a bigger keyboard (though I can always just get an external midi controller if I'm not satisfied with the 25 keys on the microbrute I guess) and the obviously robust patch/routing interface but would that be too overwhelming if my main goal here is to be able to jump in and start making cool bleepbloops? It would also be like maybe close to twice the price and idk if I'm down to drop four hundo on a new toy rn. Another question is, monophonic is probably easier for a beginner I would think but am I possibly wrong there, or is polyphonic something I should consider aka a minilogue or whatever? Something with a built in vocoder might be cool since I wanna do my own vocals but that's not a big consideration and it might just be cheaper/more practical to get a microbrute plus an external mic setup. Thanks god bless xoxo

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
"bigger keyboard" is kinda moot with a mono honestly but ymmv. i'd say it's more useful with a poly where you can play actual chords

monophonic subtractive synths (ie microbrute, monologue) are great beginner synths, you can always get a poly down the line if you like the hobby!!

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
I would say it's less about mono/poly and more about if it has any built in effects and a sequencer

my ms-20 is nice but doesn't really come alive until I throw delay/reverb at it and the same thing happened when I had a minibrute and even just hooking an sq-1 up to the ms-20 is a massive improvement in what you can get out of it without one

I still think the minilogue is the best starter synth out there right now just because it has a decent sequencer, plus effects, plus the oscilloscope, and 4 voices so you can grow into it after a while

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Mess with free vsts until you know what you want out of synthesis

You'll answer questions like keys/sequencing/mono/poly/what about synthesis you actually enjoy/if you enjoy it much quicker (and cheaper) than by buying-and-trying.

If money is at all something you care about, for the love of god, buy used.

e: definitely don't worry about effects until you've exhausted whatever comes free with the unlimited trial Reaper license

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

AverySpecialfriend posted:

Hi ppl, I'm a newbie but I'm looking to get a nice analog synth. My question is, I'm probably gonna get a microbrute because it looks pretty straightforward and fun to play but is there a good argument I might want something a little less 'entry level' like an ms-20 mini? I see the benefits there being a bigger keyboard (though I can always just get an external midi controller if I'm not satisfied with the 25 keys on the microbrute I guess) and the obviously robust patch/routing interface but would that be too overwhelming if my main goal here is to be able to jump in and start making cool bleepbloops? It would also be like maybe close to twice the price and idk if I'm down to drop four hundo on a new toy rn. Another question is, monophonic is probably easier for a beginner I would think but am I possibly wrong there, or is polyphonic something I should consider aka a minilogue or whatever? Something with a built in vocoder might be cool since I wanna do my own vocals but that's not a big consideration and it might just be cheaper/more practical to get a microbrute plus an external mic setup. Thanks god bless xoxo

Bass station2, or dont worry about "analog" and find cheap things like kawais or yamaha tg types that have cool modulation possibilites

Nah just stick to vsts, theyre just as good as hardware at this point

AverySpecialfriend
Jul 8, 2017

by Hand Knit

JamesKPolk posted:

Mess with free vsts until you know what you want out of synthesis

You'll answer questions like keys/sequencing/mono/poly/what about synthesis you actually enjoy/if you enjoy it much quicker (and cheaper) than by buying-and-trying.

If money is at all something you care about, for the love of god, buy used.

e: definitely don't worry about effects until you've exhausted whatever comes free with the unlimited trial Reaper license

I want to twist knobs, with my fingers

Gringostar posted:

I would say it's less about mono/poly and more about if it has any built in effects and a sequencer

my ms-20 is nice but doesn't really come alive until I throw delay/reverb at it and the same thing happened when I had a minibrute and even just hooking an sq-1 up to the ms-20 is a massive improvement in what you can get out of it without one

I still think the minilogue is the best starter synth out there right now just because it has a decent sequencer, plus effects, plus the oscilloscope, and 4 voices so you can grow into it after a while

I have oscope related trauma (but that's still forreal sick if u can actually see the waveform)

e: also I don't care if it has a suboscillator or not if I can run my bass thru it which I hear u can do with the microbrute

AverySpecialfriend fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 6, 2017

hug a mexican
Jul 8, 2010
oh yeah you should definitely get a cheapo delay/reverb stompbox to run it through, maybe a chorus. get some used behringers or whatever is dirt cheap but passable these days

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

I have oscope related trauma (but that's still forreal sick if u can actually see the waveform)

e: also I don't care if it has a suboscillator or not if I can run my bass thru it which I hear u can do with the microbrute

almost any synth with an external signal in can run stuff through it

as for a vocoder, the only synths that have that right now are the jd xa/jd xi, microkorg, and the two novation things

roland makes two dedicated ones, one for the aira line and one for the boutique line

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Not exclusive to analog synths tho

quote:

It’s cool and also completely useless. It does not help with sound design and platonic oscillator shapes do not resemble their real world counterparts.

quote:

Suboscillators are a flip flop circuit that divides the pitch with an octave, hence the rectangular shape. It’s the cheapest way to beef up the sound a bit and a good part of the character of the Juno and SH-101.

Another vote for the Minilogue. If you are looking at MS20 reissue prices, I recently got an ARP Odyssey reissue module, combined with a controller you get a pretty dang awesome monosynth. It’s also cool but doesn’t do patching. But yes, reverb/delay are recommended.

Also vocoders usually mean there is something digital in there, unless it’s a dedicated unit, and even then. The JD-Xi is a really weird and almost unique hybrid in that sense.

Laserjet 4P fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 7, 2017

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Gringostar posted:

almost any synth with an external signal in can run stuff through it

as for a vocoder, the only synths that have that right now are the jd xa/jd xi, microkorg, and the two novation things

roland makes two dedicated ones, one for the aira line and one for the boutique line

In retrospect, the KingKorg is pretty good for a VA, and it's on that list. A better option if you want a MicroKorg but more.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I was going to suggest the KingKORG as well. I don't think I've ever seen anyone use its vocoder, but it can do it. Korg didn't bundle a mic in the box like they did with the microKORG series, so you need to bring your own in order to make that function work.

At ~$650 used, the KingKorg is still a decent bit above his original price range. A used/on-sale Minilogue is probably the best all-around option at ~$400.

Edit: Cory Henry usually plays a Moog live with Snarky Puppy, but the synth solo on the recorded version of "Lingus" was done on a KingKORG.

Know Such Peace fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Oct 7, 2017

Tan Dumplord
Mar 9, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I missed the price point.

Here's the built-in Mr. Blue Sky preset (forget what it's called)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnqPPk-dvHM

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Learn pure data or supercollider for zero bucks, bank of midi knobs for $60, cheap keyboard that outputs midi from a thrift store or pawn shop for $20, twiddle knobs and the sky's the limit

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

Learn pure data or supercollider for zero bucks, bank of midi knobs for $60, cheap keyboard that outputs midi from a thrift store or pawn shop for $20, twiddle knobs and the sky's the limit

This is only cheap if your time is cheap

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005

Laserjet 4P posted:

This is only cheap if your time is cheap

Which it probably is if you're getting into synthesizers

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I've been having a lot of fun messing with the ring modulator on my Monologue. However, some of the coolest sounds I've made also ended up being wayyyy out of tune. Is this typical? What's the standard way to put the sound back in tune once I've recorded to my DAW? Also, does one constant pitch correction do the trick for ring modulated patches, or does the pitch offset depend on which note I play? I wish I understood ring mod better.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

In general, yes, that happens. Ring mod is modulating one sound (the carrier oscillator) with another (the modulation oscillator) in a way that produces side bands (sound other than the root note) at the sum and difference of the frequency of the mod and carrier waves.

I'm not 100% sure on how the Monologue operates but my guess is one osc is carrying and one osc is modding, and both are gonna be tracking the key you play (and be tunable from there). This is, unfortunately, gonna result in weird stuff cause notes don't scale linearly. There's not a way to fix it after the fact, either - you gotta plan ahead.

A tip from the guitar world is to tune the mod osc to the tonic of the sequence you're gonna play, so all the extra stuff you get sounds related to that.

Check out Sound on Sound's Synth Secrets: 12, 13, or 14 (I forget which but its one of the modulation ones) goes into it in detail. Someone re-hosted it here. https://github.com/micjamking/synth-secrets

e: this actually all might be wrong cause Korg has historically implemented a "ring mod" sound as an XOR operation between 2 square oscillators (which sounds similar but isn't the same). Not sure if they went that way or not.

JamesKPolk fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Oct 10, 2017

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Most DAWs have a way to change the pitch of the recording without changing its length. You could also rerecord and adjust the Monologue's global tuning from the first page of the global menu so that the notes on the keyboard are in tune again. Just remember to put it back after you're finished.

I just checked, and the ring modded signal responds to changing the oscillator wave and shape, so I think it's safe to assume the Monologue has a "proper" ring mod circuit.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

Clavavisage posted:

System1 and 1m prices seem to be crashing right now and all of the plugouts can be found in various :filez:

The keybed on the 1 is still a gross joke tho

I'd still highly recommend this thing. It's one of the most fun, cheap synths to fiddle with that I own. My MS-20 kind of crushes it in that respect but the sounds the System-1 can make are remarkable.

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Thanks y'all for the insight on ring mod. Btw I just realized that the monologue allows changing the tuning for each individual note, so I guess technically I could use that to help correct when one global tuning doesn't do the trick (due to the nonlinearity mentioned above)

e: that synth secrets link is amazing, thank you! It turned out that, this whole time, I thought ring mod was a kind of FM when it's actually a form of AM (which has equations I can totally understand!).

giogadi fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
Shouldn't the ring modded signal track properly if both oscillators are tracking the keyboard? Your sidebands are

S1 = O1 - O2
S2 = O1 + O2.

Going up, say, an octave replaces O1 by 2*O1 and O2 by 2*O2, so the new sidebands are

2*O1 - 2*O2 = 2*S1
2*O1 + 2*O2 = 2*S2,

exactly one octave above the old sidebands. At any rate, it sounded to be tracking fine on my Monologue, even if playing an A didn't make 440 Hz come out. Tracking issues show up when one of the input signals is fixed, like in a guitar pedal, and that's when it helps to tune the modulator to the tonic of your scale.